Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

Regular Contributor

Re: Why has Comcast removed the ability to set recordings from the stream website & app?

@Rustyben wrote:

@jimbom wrote:

With the unreasonable rates that Comcast charges for cable, why on earth would they REMOVE desirable features??????????

see the first post on the first page for the answer. 

Doesn't answer the question "Why didn't Comcast choose to pay TiVo and continue to offer the feature like other TV providers *while* litigating the patents so that its customers wouldn't be inconvenienced and annoyed?" That's the real question. Nobody cares about the legal stuff.

Expert

Re: Why has Comcast removed the ability to set recordings from the stream website & app?

@xgrep wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@jimbom wrote:

With the unreasonable rates that Comcast charges for cable, why on earth would they REMOVE desirable features??????????

Doesn't answer the question "Why didn't Comcast choose to pay TiVo and continue to offer the feature like other TV providers *while* litigating the patents so that its customers wouldn't be inconvenienced and annoyed?" That's the real question. Nobody cares about the legal stuff.

Tivo appears to be trying to enforce a patent that the Supreme court specifically in the Alice decision has stated is not a valid use of a patent. Scotus said you can not patent an abstract idea. Once in patent court (not the current 'import court' ) an actual patent judge will be able to rule on the Tivo claim. at that point the record function can be turned back on.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

You’re really optimistic.  And if the patent judge rules the other way?  You keep repeating the company line as if it helps any of us.  This may take years to litigate.  In the meantime, we are without the ability to set recording remotely, a feature that every other major cable company currently has.  No more excuses or useless explanations.  Serve your customers, not the corporate board.

Regular Contributor

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

You’re really optimistic.  And if the patent judge rules the other way?  You keep repeating the company line as if it helps any of us.  This may take years to litigate.  In the meantime, we are without the ability to set recording remotely, a feature that every other major cable company currently has.  No more excuses or useless explanations.  Serve your customers, not the corporate board.

If you thought you were innocent of something, why would you pay? You wouldn't do it in your personal life, why would you expect a corporation to do it? 

New Poster

Computer Program scheduling discontinued

I notice scheduling from a desktop computer for recording on my DVR has been discontinued. Problem??

Regular Contributor

@Wolverine062 wrote:

If you thought you were innocent of something, why would you pay? You wouldn't do it in your personal life, why would you expect a corporation to do it?  

Because corporations plead no contest, settle corporate lawsuits, pay damages without admitting fault, etc., all the time.  Corporations also have a duty to their customers.  Let's assume Comcast believes it's right.  All the other cable companies are paying royalties for the feature.  I have no idea what the amount is, but I'm sure it's a lot less than the $68B Comcast is offering to buy another company.  So, as another posted suggested, why not just buy TIVO?  Or pay an amount for royalties that's most likey a lot cheaper than the cost of fighting a lawsuit for infringement.  However, unless they're using outside counsel, they have lots of in house lawyers who are a sunk cost, so they may as well keep them busy.  So far, it's been 7 months since the feature was removed.  The courts are years behind in civil suits, so this could take several years to settle or get a ruling.  Since Comcast is going down this path, they should announce publicly, and in their ads, that the remote record feature isn't available and there is no time line for when, or if, it will be.  Instead, they are doing everything they can to keep it quiet.

New Poster

INABILITY TO RECORD PROGRAMS OUT OF HOME

Why is it that comcast gets more expensive and yet offer less services. EWhy the heck doid xfiinity disable the ability to set and modify recordings out of home. That was one of the very few advantages over other satellite and cable services at one point in time. Now most have caught up to ooffer that, but xfinity takes it away. I need to mover on to verizon vios

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@xgrep wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@jimbom wrote:

Tivo appears to be trying to enforce a patent that the Supreme court specifically in the Alice decision has stated is not a valid use of a patent. Scotus said you can not patent an abstract idea. Once in patent court (not the current 'import court' ) an actual patent judge will be able to rule on the Tivo claim. at that point the record function can be turned back on.

The Supreme Court made no specific reference to TiVo's patents in the Alice decision. The Alice decision has not (yet) been shown to apply to TiVo's patents, and we don't even know if it will come up in the infringement suit. "Alice" is a fairly narrow ruling that says that a patent that is invalid because it's an abstract idea cannot be made valid simply by implementing the idea in software. TiVo is apparently willing to test certain of its patents, and we'll see which of them survive. Perhaps none will, perhaps all.

By continuing to publicly assert (with an authoritative "expert" badge on your posts) that TiVo's patents fall under the Alice doctrine and/or that they're abstract (which they may be), you may be putting Comcast at risk in pending litigation (of which we know of two: Comcast's appeal of the import court decision of last November, and the infringement suit launched by TiVo in January). Let the legal folks battle it out. Your opinion is fine, but it's an opinion. I have a non-professional opinion, too, which is that the TiVo patents will hold up. For now, the facts are that the TiVo patents have not yet been invalidated on any basis, Alice or otherwise.

New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

That is ridiculous! Hurry up and put that feature back! It's been months! This makes me not want a dvr anymore.
Frequent Visitor

Just pay the royalty fee and give us the capability back!

New Poster

Instead of “ appealing a ruling, be a man/company and pay the fine or do what’s needed to make it right!!

New Poster

My dad said it was because Comcast DIDNT WANT TO PAY THE FEES they were asked to pay for this feature. Aren’t you making enough $$$$ from us???! 👹🙄
New Poster

Pay the fees so we can record remotely

I heard Comcast just didn’t want to pay the fees they were asked to pay for the ability to record shows remotely from the streaming app.

Are they not earning enough $$$ from is???! ASK THEM TO PAY
New Poster

Scheduling a DVR recording remotely

Does anyone know how you can schedule a DVR recording remotely when you are not home? You used to be able to do it with the Xfinity App, but now it says that feature is disabled.

Expert

Re: Scheduling a DVR recording remotely

@huntcam wrote:

Does anyone know how you can schedule a DVR recording remotely when you are not home? You used to be able to do it with the Xfinity App, but now it says that feature is disabled.

it was disabled in November of 2017 due to an 'import court' action. Comcast appealed the action.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

I can no longer program a show to record....what's up with that?

I can no longer set a program to record on my xfinity stream.  Anyone know why?  

New Poster

Re: I can no longer program a show to record....what's up with that?

I too am extremely unhappy that I can no longer record a show outside my home to watch at a later date in my home.

Expert

Re: Pay the fees so we can record remotely

@Kairaca wrote:
I heard Comcast just didn’t want to pay the fees they were asked to pay for the ability to record shows remotely from the streaming app.

Are they not earning enough $$$ from is???! ASK THEM TO PAY

Rovi (was TiVo) got a patent that basically says they own the 'idea' of "using a device and the internet to change the channel in a home DVR including beginning a recording". that is called an 'abstract patent', and the patent office is no longer taking applications for abstract patents because of the Supreme Court decision named Alice. Since Comcast writes all their firmware codes in house they owe nothing to TiVo in line with Alice decision. Instead of TiVo suing (only to lose) Comcast in a patent court, TiVo interfered in commerce of generic set top boxes that come with a set of code already installed - now shipped code-free) by suing under TiVo's not yet invalidated patent in the import court. The import court has no jurisdiction in validity of patents. Eventually the Patent Office will make a decision to hold the patent valid or will invalidate it, and we have to await that decision. I sure would not pay the 'bully'.

Regular Contributor

Re: Pay the fees so we can record remotely

I'm sorry Rustyben, but you speak as if a decision in Comcast's favor is all but a done deal.  No one knows that - courts often act in ways that make no logical sense and interpret laws differently than we think they should.  In addition, and most importantly, this could drag on for years.  In the meantime, we, as customers are the ones deprived of services we are paying for.  And we also don't understand why every other major cable provider still offers this feature.  Does Comcast believe they have some special insight that none of the other companies are aware of?   The obvious answer is that Verizon, Cox and others are paying TIVO royalties.  Why do the other companies not believe they are being bullied?  The fact that Comcast won't provide full disclosure to its customers about this situation lends credence to our complaints they they don't care about us.

New Poster

Can I schedule a recording from my computer or app?

Can I schedule a X1 DVR recording from my laptop or app when away from home?

Expert

Re: Can I schedule a recording from my computer or app?

@irish4ut wrote:

Can I schedule a X1 DVR recording from my laptop or app when away from home?

no, currently someone at home would have to set the recording.

New Poster

Is there any update to this appeal?

New Poster

Schedule a Program To Record Remotely

Is is true Xfinity took away the capability to remotely schedule a program to record on the DVR? Why? Will it be restored? Has it been restored? If so, how does it work?

Valued Contributor

Re: Schedule a Program To Record Remotely

That feature is currently not avaliable. There is a good reason for this and it may return in the future. If you have any more questions feel free to Private Message me. Hope this helps. -TheMasterTech

Gold Problem Solver

@elporto wrote: Is is true Xfinity took away the capability to remotely schedule a program to record on the DVR? Why? Will it be restored? Has it been restored? If so, how does it work?

See http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/m-p/3006332#U3006332 and expect your post to be moved to that mega-thread shortly.

Frequent Visitor

While we wait for the “Set Recording” feature to return to the Xfinity Stream app, would it be possible to give us the “Set Reminder” feature in the app? At least a pop-up reminder might help viewers to not miss a program and be a reminder to set the recording later at home via the X1 box?

Most Valued Poster

@TheMasterTech wrote:

That feature is currently not avaliable. There is a good reason for this and it may return in the future. If you have any more questions feel free to Private Message me. Hope this helps. -TheMasterTech

Just curious...are you a new member of the Comcast employee rep team on the forums who doesn't happen to have an employee 'id name' yet  or are you a Comcast  technical person  who is not a forum rep? It appears you just joined the forums in June so I wondered what kind of questions/issues you may be able to help us with. Thanks

Regular Visitor

I just discovered this problem, and it just stinks! I hope there is a solution soon!

New Poster

Due to a legal ruling? Awaiting legal appeal? Alternatively, perhaps you could pay the patent holder the requisite fees and restore the service. 

New Poster

Don't care. Pay the royalties and legal fees and fix it or come up with new tech.
Regular Visitor

Comcast is spending or offering BILLIIONS of dollars for other companies such as FOX Entertainment and Time-Warner --- yet they can't manage to just buy TIVO to get the rights to features that customers want -- no - features that customers already had and were removed - without lowering the cost to those customers. Maybe they can just hire a couple of kids in Philly to write new code that Comcast will own that will give us the features back. IF -- Comcast even cares about its customers ?
New Poster

This is terrible for users with physical disabilities who are unable to use a remote control.
New Poster

Re: how to set recordings on home computer

I'm sure you are severely overestimating the people that know of, use, or even care about this feature. Keep in mind there are millions of customers across the nation. I have been an Xfinity customer for 4 years and have never once wanted or needed this feature until today, and have also never bothered to download any of their apps. Even if they had 1,000 complaints, that's not even a drop in the bucket for a major corporation. Assuming they only had 1 million customers, that's only 0.1% that are complaining. Frankly, this option just isn't that important.
New Poster

Comcast is horrible!!!!Only reason I have it is because there is nothing else available!!!! They claim legal mumbojumbo but you can do it on DirectTV , you can also use the direct tv app to watch a real tv from your iPhone with the hdmi adapter but Comcast doesn’t let you!!!! They block you!!! Boycott Comcast!!
Regular Contributor

Another poster who wants others to boycott Comcast but won't do it themselves...
Most Valued Poster

@blaira wrote:
I'm sure you are severely overestimating the people that know of, use, or even care about this feature. Keep in mind there are millions of customers across the nation. I have been an Xfinity customer for 4 years and have never once wanted or needed this feature until today, and have also never bothered to download any of their apps. Even if they had 1,000 complaints, that's not even a drop in the bucket for a major corporation. Assuming they only had 1 million customers, that's only 0.1% that are complaining. Frankly, this option just isn't that important
===
WOW.....This is your first post and this is what you come up with?  This feature was wonderful and widely used and  dearly missed..  If you never leave your house you wouldn't need it or appreciate it but if you traveled for business or pleasure you would realize in a hurry how valuable it  was.

New Poster

I'm just curious, having recently left Directv, I have used their app when away from home to set my DVR to record numerous times to any program that I was subscribed to. My curiosity is along the logic of being good for the goose should be good for the gander.
New Poster

@blaira wrote:
I'm sure you are severely overestimating the people that know of, use, or even care about this feature. Keep in mind there are millions of customers across the nation. I have been an Xfinity customer for 4 years and have never once wanted or needed this feature until today, and have also never bothered to download any of their apps. Even if they had 1,000 complaints, that's not even a drop in the bucket for a major corporation. Assuming they only had 1 million customers, that's only 0.1% that are complaining. Frankly, this option just isn't that important.
Why are you so sure it's an overestimation? It's an incredibly useful feature being able to set recordings when you're out e.g., on vacation. onDemand is making this less and less useful but not everything is available inDemand yet. As more and more people cut the cord you would think they would bend over backwards to service their existing customer base but apparently not. I have Amazon Prime and Netflix and I can add on premium networks too. I doubt I will renew the TV portion of my account when the 2-year deal is over since I think I can get everything I want online.
Regular Contributor

@blaira wrote:
OMG - I can do math also - btw I care about the missing feature as well
New Poster

Re: program dvr from a computer

It does not work on the phone anymore either
Most Valued Poster

Re: program dvr from a computer

@Kairaca wrote:
It does not work on the phone anymore either

When the feature was removed it affected all devices not just computers.

New Poster

Schedule recording only from TV-connected devices

First, you took away my ability to schedule or recover a recording from my smart phone and tablet. Now I can't schedule a recording from my computer. It appears that I can only schedule recordings from my set-top box or TV-connected device  (meaning that the TV is necessary), taking away one of the biggest reasons I use X1. When away from home and discovering a program I wished to record, I could just set it up.  If I mistakenly delete a program or realize that I want to see something again, I can't recover the recording away from home. How are you improving service by making it impossible to schedule and recover recordings anywhere but the set-top box?  I'd be interested to know.

Expert

Re: Schedule recording only from TV-connected devices

@BHATL wrote:

First, you took away my ability to schedule or recover a recording from my smart phone and tablet. Now I can't schedule a recording from my computer. It appears that I can only schedule recordings from my set-top box or TV-connected device  (meaning that the TV is necessary), taking away one of the biggest reasons I use X1. When away from home and discovering a program I wished to record, I could just set it up.  If I mistakenly delete a program or realize that I want to see something again, I can't recover the recording away from home. How are you improving service by making it impossible to schedule and recover recordings anywhere but the set-top box?  I'd be interested to know.

you can 'recover' if you watched on stream app by navigating to bottom of list "Deleted Recordings' find the program and select it. follow the prompts.

Regular Contributor

Incorrect. You can not recover deleted programs through the app. You can only do that through when at home on a TV with a box. Also, we have lost 3 channels even though they are listed for our area - WE, WGN and Oxygen. What’s the story with that?
Expert

@orfartenbuehl wrote:
Incorrect. You can not recover deleted programs through the app. You can only do that through when at home on a TV with a box. Also, we have lost 3 channels even though they are listed for our area - WE, WGN and Oxygen. What’s the story with that?

interesting! just tried it on both an iphone and an android phone. just says not available. it works on my Roku and recovered program plays. 

Expert

@Gladiator51 wrote:
Comcast...even the design of this forum is poor. There’s no dates on the posts. How the heck are we supposed to know if these comments were made yesterday or a year ago.

Has the situation changed? From what I can see on the Stream app, we still can’t record.

the forum changes are new and some items still being worked on to fix. re: the remote control that happened in November 2017, it isn't new. when the case gets to an actual patent court it is very likely that TiVOs claim/patent will be resolved in Comcast's favor.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Rustyben. You sound like a COMCAST spokesperson or representative...are you?

Nothing is free, these functions take support and comprise part of the features that would weigh into plus column of customers considerations if we had true competition among providers. For example, if Verizon FIOS were available in my area, I’d switch to them.

COMCAST should clearly communicate what they’re doing about the loss of this functionality and do a small compensation to show good faith to their customers.

COMCAST pays a lot more attention to selling new products intended to increase their revenues. As a devote capitalist I understand that but I also believe customer service is what suffers when competition is diminished. Suggesting one be patient is condescending when the customer is paying premium fees (e.g. $250/mo) for these services.
Frequent Visitor

This isn’t about accusing someone of a crime, it’s about business and customer service. A business that incurs a setback may be forced to pass that setback along to their customers. However, in the very least, they show good faith by trying to work it back and compensating for the loss while they’re doing that.

We are not impatient children...we are paying customers. This isn’t about stamping our feet, this is business.

I’d really like to hear a response to this from COMCAST.
Expert

I'm a paying customer just like you guys (never worked for Comcast, and I'm retired). Comcast has stated that the feature was removed (November 2017) until resolved in (patent) court. 

Most Valued Poster

@Gladiator51 wrote:
This isn’t about accusing someone of a crime, it’s about business and customer service. A business that incurs a setback may be forced to pass that setback along to their customers. However, in the very least, they show good faith by trying to work it back and compensating for the loss while they’re doing that.

We are not impatient children...we are paying customers. This isn’t about stamping our feet, this is business.

I’d really like to hear a response to this from COMCAST.

I agree totally. The only way we found out they removed the feature was when it disappeared. The only people we have ever heard from on this issue was after it was questioned on the forums last year and comcast reps replied. This feature was heavily promoted as part of their service and was so important  to so many you would think that they could have at least put a notice in a billing.