Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

@Englishfreak200 wrote:
Did Directv & DISH also lose this capability? I have been a customer of both those companies and remote DVR recording was an option offered by both.

No, according to others here (and you could find out by calling), both are paying TiVo to license the patents so that they can continue to offer the feature.

Highlighted
New Poster

Recording

Why can we not longer set a recording from our computers or laptops.  Very annoying. 

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Recording

Comcast was found in violation of another company's patent for that feature. See employee ComcastJessie's reply in http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/m-p/3006430#M10834:

... Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. ...
Highlighted
New Poster

Scheduling a DVR recording when not at home using Roku?

Please explain how to schedule a DVR recording when not at home using Roku?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Scheduling a DVR recording when not at home using Roku?

Due to a judicial ruling, Comcast has disabled this feature. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand or, you can download the Xfinity Stream app on your Roku.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Scheduling a DVR recording when not at home using Roku?

I don't think you can anymore.  According to Xfinity stream app update last night, the ability to schedule or change DVR recordings can only be done through logging into your account from a PC or using your remote on the TV.  I have no idea why this change has been made but it is detrimental to Xfinity.  They have made several changes to the streaming app lately that have made it less than useful!

Highlighted
New Poster

Set Recording on X1 DVR when not home

I'm wondering is there anyway to set a recording for my X1 DVR when I'm not home?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Set Recording on X1 DVR when not home

@Thofarran07 wrote:

I'm wondering is there anyway to set a recording for my X1 DVR when I'm not home?

currently if you have equipment in the home it is not possible. if you are an internet only customer and add instant TV you can record (cloud only).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Any update to this? I recently signed up with Xfinity and am highly disappointed to find that I can not record shows from the app. Sporting events are never available On Demand! This needs to be fixed. such an important yet basic function. Verizon was able to do this without issue. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Recording from device remote app

My guess is that although the capability may have been disabled 8 months ago, the web interface and the app interface just recently started bannering that you are  no longer able to set recordings away from home.  This is in large font at the top of the saved, scheduled pages, with a button that I believe gave some sort of explanation, and in addition, provided a link to the forums to "provide feedback".  What I see is they are getting PLENTY of feedback.  Now as to why these same folks did not notice the loss of the capability many months back might be questioned.  But to complain that there are now 26 pages of posts on the forums (the thread actually keeps getting longer in some respect because the moderators "combine threads" into a single master thread, that should be directed either to the moderators, the app programmers, Comcast directly or all three.  It is their doing in my opinion.  They asked for feedback, they got feedback.  Will they do ANYTHING with the feedback?  History says not a chance.  So WHY did they ask for feedback may be another interesting question to have answered.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Recording from device remote app

Asking for feedback is a commonly used technique to give the impression that you care. One company that I worked at used annual feedback surveys to "increase employee engagement'. They never did anything with the feedback except to give employees who complained the impossible job of solving the very problem they complained about with no resources of any kind. So quite obviously it was a way to punish people who complained. It worked exceedingly well - the feedback just kept getting better. I'm not making this up.
Highlighted
New Poster

Record

I use my computer to watch various shows at night and every now and again I see an advertisment for a new show that I might want to watch.  BUT I cannot figure out how to set up recording on my computer.  Does anyone out there know how to do that?

Thanks

Highlighted
New Poster

Recording

Can I record shows on xfinity stream through my desk top?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Record

@CJB99 wrote:

I use my computer to watch various shows at night and every now and again I see an advertisment for a new show that I might want to watch.  BUT I cannot figure out how to set up recording on my computer.  Does anyone out there know how to do that?

Thanks

someone at home (if any) would have to do the recording for you.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Recording

Not any longer, apparently. That used to be a very convenient feature, but Comcast has trashed this important feature.

Highlighted
New Poster

setting DVR while away from home

Why can't I set my DVR while away from home. Was able to do it with FIOS. 

Highlighted
New Poster

TV Remote app

I am very annoyed and disappointed with the TV Remote application, long ago it was a great app where one programmed the recording of television programs very easily, now the app is a useless that is not useful at all, I do not explain why you guys damage up, I've been waiting for updates to see if they leave it as it was before but not, follow the same useless app, please, gentlemen, improve that app so that one can program the recordings from this app, it is not possible that xfinity with so much technology has an app as useless as the TV Remote app is.

Highlighted
New Poster

Scheduling a recording is disabled

Hi,

When I now try to schedule a recording on the Xfinity website from my desktop computer, I get the error message listed above. Does anyone know why Xfinity made this change?

Some additional text with the message:

While DVR recordings can be enjoyed in this app, you can no longer schedule them here. You'll need to use your set top box or connected TV devices (e.g., Roku, Smart TVs) to schedule DVR recordings.

I understand that I can't schedule recordings any longer. I want to know why Xfinity made this change, and if they will bring this feature back. Sometimes I am away from home & I want to schedule a recording. With my Xfinity credentials, I could, until recently.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Scheduling a recording is disabled

Comcast no longer has the rights to offer that feature. Can be done with Tivo only.

Highlighted
New Poster

DVR Control

Why can't I use the Xfinity Stream app to control the DVR when away from the house? I do not believe that it is a legal issue as Comcast's agents have told me. We do not have this issue at our other house which is served by Spectrum.
Highlighted
Expert

Re: DVR Control

@jwinningham wrote:
Why can't I use the Xfinity Stream app to control the DVR when away from the house? I do not believe that it is a legal issue as Comcast's agents have told me. We do not have this issue at our other house which is served by Spectrum.

please scroll to bottom of this page and select page one of the thread. the first post has the explanation attached as 'best answer'.

Highlighted
New Poster

XFINITY stream app

I’m also experiencing performance issues where it’s skips while watching a recording - several times in the last week it gave me errors on downloading a recorded show to my iPhone ((when I was on my home network) and I just found out that you are no longer going to support reordong shows from the streaming - that’s very BAD!! I find extremely useful to be able to record shows via the app especially when I’m not at home!!!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Comcast offers to buy Fox media assets for $65 billion in cash

Seems you have enough cash to pay the royalties and or fine to get the record option back for remote scheduling.

Listen to your customer base

Highlighted
Expert

Re: XFINITY stream app

@Johnholte wrote:
I’m also experiencing performance issues where it’s skips while watching a recording - several times in the last week it gave me errors on downloading a recorded show to my iPhone ((when I was on my home network) and I just found out that you are no longer going to support reordong shows from the streaming - that’s very BAD!! I find extremely useful to be able to record shows via the app especially when I’m not at home!!!

feature has been gone since last half of 2017. it is in litigation and no further information is available.

Highlighted
New Poster

scheduling dvr

when will the lawsuit be resolved. they sold the x1 on the premise that you can schedule the dvr remotely, that feature is gone.

Highlighted
New Poster

DVR

I am a way from home and noticed that there is an up coming show I want to record on my DVR.  Is there a way that I can do so remotely?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: DVR

@Clarence0627 wrote:

I am a way from home and noticed that there is an up coming show I want to record on my DVR.  Is there a way that I can do so remotely?

not at this time. (other than having someone at home set the recording for you). see first page of this thread and the answer to the first post.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

7 Months and I still cannot record remotely on X1

Let’s get going Comcast.  This “temporary inconvenience” is becoming the norm.  Did you forget that that you took that feature away.  Just buy TIVO already.  Obviously, your software geniuses cannot come up with a solution!!  Another NASCAR race missed...and PLEASE don’t feed me that line about ON DEMAND.  All of the “lack of functionality for $300 a month.  PITIFUL!

Highlighted
New Poster

Computer Program scheduling discontinued

I notice scheduling from a desktop computer for recording on my DVR has been discontinued. Problem??

Highlighted
New Poster

INABILITY TO RECORD PROGRAMS OUT OF HOME

Why is it that comcast gets more expensive and yet offer less services. EWhy the heck doid xfiinity disable the ability to set and modify recordings out of home. That was one of the very few advantages over other satellite and cable services at one point in time. Now most have caught up to ooffer that, but xfinity takes it away. I need to mover on to verizon vios

Highlighted
New Poster

That is ridiculous! Hurry up and put that feature back! It's been months! This makes me not want a dvr anymore.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Just pay the royalty fee and give us the capability back!

Highlighted
New Poster

Instead of “ appealing a ruling, be a man/company and pay the fine or do what’s needed to make it right!!

Highlighted
New Poster

My dad said it was because Comcast DIDNT WANT TO PAY THE FEES they were asked to pay for this feature. Aren’t you making enough $$$$ from us???! 👹🙄
Highlighted
New Poster

Scheduling a DVR recording remotely

Does anyone know how you can schedule a DVR recording remotely when you are not home? You used to be able to do it with the Xfinity App, but now it says that feature is disabled.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Scheduling a DVR recording remotely

@huntcam wrote:

Does anyone know how you can schedule a DVR recording remotely when you are not home? You used to be able to do it with the Xfinity App, but now it says that feature is disabled.

it was disabled in November of 2017 due to an 'import court' action. Comcast appealed the action.

Highlighted
New Poster

I can no longer program a show to record....what's up with that?

I can no longer set a program to record on my xfinity stream.  Anyone know why?  

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: I can no longer program a show to record....what's up with that?

I too am extremely unhappy that I can no longer record a show outside my home to watch at a later date in my home.

Highlighted
New Poster

Can I schedule a recording from my computer or app?

Can I schedule a X1 DVR recording from my laptop or app when away from home?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Can I schedule a recording from my computer or app?

@irish4ut wrote:

Can I schedule a X1 DVR recording from my laptop or app when away from home?

no, currently someone at home would have to set the recording.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I just discovered this problem, and it just stinks! I hope there is a solution soon!

Highlighted
New Poster

Due to a legal ruling? Awaiting legal appeal? Alternatively, perhaps you could pay the patent holder the requisite fees and restore the service. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Scheduling the DVR remotely

When will I be able to schedule my DVR from somewhere other than from my TV.  Currently I can't schedule to record anything or set up reminders from my computer or the Xfinity Stream app on my phone.  I REALLY miss this function.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Scheduling the DVR remotely

I second this.  I used to be able to record nearly anything from anywhere just by browsing shows/movies from multiple platforms of xfinity (streaming, etc.).  Now, the function has been removed entirely and I do not like it.

Highlighted
New Poster

Record

Can I set a recording from my cell phone
Highlighted
New Poster

Program recording from Xfinity Stream App.

Unable to set program recording from Xfinity Stream App?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Program recording from Xfinity Stream App.

@masorensen wrote:

Unable to set program recording from Xfinity Stream App?

please see post just prior to your post.

Highlighted
New Poster

How do I Program my DVR online

Use to be able to do this before X1....

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: how to record when i'm not home

What is current status of legal situation about recording future programming from an Iphone?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Setting DVR remotely

Hi

Why did Comcast chose to disable this feature? It was very useful to be able to set a recording when you realized you were going to miss something while out.

Mitch