Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

New Poster

Recordings. Why can’t I do it any more?

So how do I record something when that word is no longer in the options?  

Expert

Re: I used to be able to set a recording for a tv show from my iPad. How can I do it now?

C85431 wrote:

How can I set a recording from my iPad. I used to be able to but the record button has disappeared. 

your post was moved to this mega-thread and it was inadvertently locked. see the post right above yours for the answer.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Official Employee

Re: Recordings. Why can’t I do it any more?

Are you referring to recording remotely?
New Poster

Yes.  It worked when I first got here and then stopped.  The option is no longer available.  

Expert

mspotts456 wrote:

Yes.  It worked when I first got here and then stopped.  The option is no longer available.  

hi, I moved your post to the mega-thread on the subject. the first page first post has the Comcast best answer attached.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

New Poster

Stream record removal lack of communication

Why won’t Comcast send out info when an important feature is removed. They have no problem sending out emails as to the worthless “what I can do with voice command” spam.
Come on Comcast keep us up to date with relevant functionality changes.
New Poster

Why cant we record dvr from app?

Please explain why comcast is not permitted to allow its customers to set up dvr recordings via mobile app. Saying “due to some legal ruling” is not enough.
New Poster

They should come to a quick settlement

Rovi claims the license fees could amount to as much as $15 million (annually), from Comcast. The Forbes article says Comcast has 23 million cable subscribers. That comes to les than $1.00 per year per subscriber (.08/month). I suspect it’s worth that to most of us. And you have to think they could settle for much less than that (maybe a third).

yes they are trolls and Comcast claims, probably justly, that they invented their technology themselves. But patents like this are very broad and it can be effectively impossible to prove you don’t violate them, rather you have to prove the patent is overly broad, which Rovi apparently is willing to spend greatly to defend it. It seems like a drop in the bucket for Comcast. Just settle!!

New Poster

Re: how do you record new series on your xfinity stream

We are having the same issue - using the steam web portal, one cannot setup new recordings.   We can view old recordings, and see scheduled recordings, but cannot set new recordings up.

Most Valued Poster

Re: They should come to a quick settlement

rogercorman3445 wrote:

Rovi claims the license fees could amount to as much as $15 million (annually), from Comcast. The Forbes article says Comcast has 23 million cable subscribers. That comes to les than $1.00 per year per subscriber (.08/month). I suspect it’s worth that to most of us. And you have to think they could settle for much less than that (maybe a third).

yes they are trolls and Comcast claims, probably justly, that they invented their technology themselves. But patents like this are very broad and it can be effectively impossible to prove you don’t violate them, rather you have to prove the patent is overly broad, which Rovi apparently is willing to spend greatly to defend it. It seems like a drop in the bucket for Comcast. Just settle!!

Where can I mail my $10 for 10 years with a little extra $.02 a year to help Comcast out? All I ask in return is the recording buffer to return.

Regular Visitor

I agree whole heartedly.....but paying $229, I have paid way too much!

New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

How long will the record option be gone?  Is this permanent or is Comcast actually working on finding a legal solution?

Regular Contributor

rogercorman3445 wrote:

As a Comcast Customer for 20 years, and using DVRs since they first came out; having the web and app for setting a recording was the only way to do so when away from the main DVR box. Now with that feature removed, I feel like my current DVR just reverted back to a Gen 1 Motorola DCT box from 12 years ago.

I would think Comcast could easily pay $15 Million in license fees to Rovi, even if it means a $1/month increase to all of its cable tv subscribers. Didn't they just save alot of money now that Matt Lauer is gone?

New Poster

What is the name of the case, I would like to do some research on it

Most Valued Poster

rblynch wrote:

I agree whole heartedly.....but paying $229, I have paid way too much!

Yep  I agree. The bill keeps going up and they keep taking away very popular features.

Regular Contributor

I haven’t reviewed all claims lately, but don’t all claims in the patent law require ability to select program for recording via interaction with a remote TV guide. If so, why can’t Comcast revise app to allow users to manually set a remote recording without interacting with the guide? I think an old Comcast app use to allow that.
Official Employee

hat functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

Official Employee

Re: I used to be able to set a recording for a tv show from my iPad. How can I do it now?

That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

New Poster

Xfinity stream tv record option

Will the record option be back soon?

New Poster

Xfinity TV App

My xfinity TV app does not have an option to record tv shows any longer.  I removed the app and redownloaded it and I also signed out and signed back in.   Neither of those helped.  How can I record shows from the app?

Expert

Re: Xfinity TV App

Sherri50 wrote:

My xfinity TV app does not have an option to record tv shows any longer.  I removed the app and redownloaded it and I also signed out and signed back in.   Neither of those helped.  How can I record shows from the app?

answer from @ComcastShane is two posts above your post. 

Most Valued Poster

Rustyben wrote:

Sherri50 wrote:

What in the world is @ComcastShane supposed to be as a reply to this lady's question? I clicked on it and it does not go to any posts by him that have anything to do with this. Looks like a Twitter 'handle' actually

Expert

TerriB wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Sherri50 wrote:

What in the world is @ComcastShane supposed to be as a reply to this lady's question? I clicked on it and it does not go to any posts by him that have anything to do with this. Looks like a Twitter 'handle' actually

hi, the official employee answer from @ComcastShane is above the reply and I referred the guest to that official answer. 

Most Valued Poster

Rustyben wrote:

TerriB wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Sherri50 wrote:

hi, the official employee answer from @ComcastShane is above the reply and I referred the guest to that official answer. 

I have no idea where you are saying to look but as long as she can find it thats all that matters. I would have referred her to the post 'number' but thats just me.

Expert

TerriB wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

TerriB wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Sherri50 wrote:

I have no idea where you are saying to look but as long as she can find it thats all that matters. I would have referred her to the post 'number' but thats just me.

yes, it was great when we had post numbers to use as a link or reference.

Frequent Visitor

Can't set recordings

Just a couple of days ago according to the comcast rep I just talked to that there was a corporite disision to stop people from setting recrodings from their computers, you have to use a tv to set a recording. What about all of us who use a desktop computer as a tv. Way to go again comcast in sticking to the subscribers of your service. I shutter to think what you'll do when net neutrality dies.

Bronze Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

TerriB wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

TerriB wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Sherri50 wrote:

yes, it was great when we had post numbers to use as a link or reference.

Then use a link to the post, its harder to do these days, but its still possible

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/m-p/3019430#M11813

New Poster

Re: program dvr from a computer

The app doesn't work on Phones either.
Expert
Moved:

Expert
Moved:

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Can't set recordings

setesh wrote:

Just a couple of days ago according to the comcast rep I just talked to that there was a corporite disision to stop people from setting recrodings from their computers, you have to use a tv to set a recording. What about all of us who use a desktop computer as a tv. Way to go again comcast in sticking to the subscribers of your service. I shutter to think what you'll do when net neutrality dies.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/tivo-notches-win-itc-patent-battle-comcast/416736

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tivo-comcast-patent/tivo-wins-set-top-box-patent-case-against-com...

Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't set recordings

Almost daily, I see something come across my desktop referencing an upcoming broadcast that I would like to see. So I get up from my computer, go downstairs, turn on my TV, and finally set my recording. This used to be so much easier. What a total PITA ! Come on Comcast, use some of that massive tax windfall you just received and pay off the patent troll (Tivo), or just buy the whole darn company. This would be so much better for all of us if we could just get the record feature back across all our various platforms. If you hurry, there's still time to avoid the last minute Christmas rush !

New Poster

This is incredibly frustrating. The ability to set a recording away from home was by far the best feature of the app. 

Frequent Visitor

Why doesn't Comcast just pay for the right to use this technology, minimizing customer displeasure.  I am VERY unhappy about this.  I have always paid Comcast their asking price and felt that having their service was not a necessity, but a choice.  I changed from Dish to Comcast for the X1 Box, if Comcast disables my X1, bye bye Comcast.

New Poster

Why can't I record in TV remote anymore

I used to be able to record in TV Remote but not anymore. Why is this

Regular Contributor

Re: Why can't I record in TV remote anymore

Wow, I can't even delete a recording via mobile any longer ...

Expert

milehiguy wrote:

on the app using the Xfinity Stream TV app, when you get to the end of the recording (naturally or by sliding the position indicator knob), a popup will appear offering to delete the recording. Note that deleting the recording on the stream app will delete the home DVR copy of that recording, too.

Expert

Louiel wrote:

I used to be able to record in TV Remote but not anymore. Why is this

use the page selector at top of bottom of the posts and select page one. first post has Comcast's answer.

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

milehiguy wrote:

on the app using the Xfinity Stream TV app, when you get to the end of the recording (naturally or by sliding the position indicator knob), a popup will appear offering to delete the recording. Note that deleting the recording on the stream app will delete the home DVR copy of that recording, too.

Thanks for the reminder.  Not ideal, especially when simply want to remove a few recordings for space, etc., but at least a workaround until Record functionality is restored.

Frequent Visitor

recording

I used to be able to go to the tv listing on the computer and record programs and watch them on my TV, does anyone know why I can't do this any more?

New Poster

Thanks for the answer.  That's a loss for those of us who travel a lot and depended on that feature to record upcoming shows.  If you can post more details about where to write to support the appeal, please do so.

New Poster

This in a huge disapointment, we just go the service and are locked in for a year now.  this is a critical feature, the interface on the x1 box is way to cumersome to use for search and record.  

New Poster

They are either stupid or are lying. Great customer service.
New Poster

Interesting problem you guys created for yourselves. But what is the plan for compensating customers who are now receiving less than you promised to provide them when we entered into contact together? Please advise.
New Poster

No joke. This had been the best and only thing good about cable. It is a sports town and l, a fan in it. I would at times forget to set recording before leaving house. This is a feature that must come back.
Official Employee

Re: Xfinity stream tv record option

Calsyms wrote: Will the record option be back soon?

We hope to have the feature added back to your app in the near future, we will update everyone once the appeal process has been completed.  

Official Employee

Re: No record option on app

Calsyms wrote: Why can't we record anything on the xfinity stream app! We used to be able to do this! Can someone contact the people who can fix this as I have tried but can't seem to connect to Help !

Your issue is addressed within this thread.

Regular Visitor

That really stinks! Especially during the playoffs!
New Poster

Record

What has happened to the “ Record” function in the Xfinety App?

New Poster

How is it "impcompetent " if Comcast has to remove a feature because of a court action?