Re: I can no longer record shows remotely

Can I get a AMEN!

Way to go Ted and Comcast!

Regular Visitor

BRAVO!!!!!

Regular Visitor

I for one am grateful. I stayed with Comcast and like all of us, could have moved on but I stayed and at this point, I’m glad I did. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this change, I appreciate that as well. 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Xfinity for bringing back the Record function

Not sure when it happened but the Record function has returned to the Xfinity Remote and Xfinity Stream Apps.  So very helpful when you have to stop watching and are not at home to record.  Now the two Apps are Very Useful!,

New Poster

Almost dropped my phone when I saw the record button this morning, it was like I had seen a ghost. Glad it's back!

New Poster

Thank you for listening to your customers.
Frequent Visitor

Just seems for such a large corporation really trying to improve their customer service experience, they would restore it with a short explanation of why and how it took 3 years and that they did it because they are thankful for our continued loyalty (money at very least)
Regular Contributor

So here in Seattle, am I in a parallel universe where the legal machinations are still going on? I am devoid of recording capability in the Stream App, TV Remote App and even on the web Stream page. Functionality restored on 9/23, in what state?
Regular Contributor

Virginia has been restored. I do agree with Quonji that it never should have taken so long.
New Poster

so how do you set a show to record remotely? I do not see any features that initiate a recording.

Regular Contributor

Option to record from within the Stream app has been restored here in (northern) Colorado.  How was this accomplished with no update to the app itself?

Regular Visitor

It was due to a lawsuit where Rovi/Tivo was claiming patent infringement. That info was posted a few years ago when they first removed it.
New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

They just brought it back today!  It only took them 2 years to solve their dispute with Tivo, I guess?  I wonder what happened, as it didn't look like it was moving in the right direction 6 months ago: https://www.insidesources.com/this-patent-battle-is-one-reason-why-comcast-customers-receive-inferio...

Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Apparently, as of today, this appears to have been remedied. I had a msg in the app that you can now set recordings again on app and stream site. ...OMGGGGGG!!!! I’ve missed this. I was researching more info abt court cases or how this was resolved. Still searching. But it seems to be working again for now.
Frequent Visitor

Re: program dvr from a computer

Apparently, as of today, this appears to have been remedied. I had a msg in the app that you can now set recordings again on app and stream site. ...OMGGGGGG!!!! I’ve missed this. I was researching more info abt court cases or how this was resolved. Still searching.
New Poster

I have it in Arizona (YAHOOOOOO!!)
Frequent Visitor

I’m in Oregon/SW Washington our markets couldn’t be any closer. Make sure you are running latest version of Xfinity Remote app on phone or tablet go to the guide and now when u select any program on any channel you will see record with 🔴 if you are an X1 customer with any level of recording service in your plan.
Frequent Visitor

Find the movie or episode you want to record, tap, a window pops up with show details. Right there somewhere around the middle of the info, there’s a record button. It wasn’t super bright or eye popping. Just there.
Frequent Visitor

Maybe it’s not restored in your area but try again. Try killing the app and open again. Give it a sec to update screen. Maybe it’ll come back.
Regular Contributor

TV Remote is still a version from May (as is on the Google Store). No record option on it or Stream.
Regular Contributor

The one from the IOS App Store I have had for years allows streaming in home and for a few channels out of home never went away.

Expert

the feature does not require a new version nor logging out and back in, etc. do check for updates and if iOS version is old time to upgrade maybe.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Tested it last night and now works like a charm ... nice to have this feature return

Most Valued Poster

Re: what about recording buffered part of live program that was tied to the patent

Now that this has been fixed....whats the status of being able to record the buffered portion of a live program that we lost a couple a years ago and it was tied to the TIVO or some other platform patent.  This is still sorely missed.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/DVR-is-not-recording-the-buffered-portion-of-a-live-program/td-p/24...

Official Employee

@Quonji wrote:
Just seems for such a large corporation really trying to improve their customer service experience, they would restore it with a short explanation of why and how it took 3 years and that they did it because they are thankful for our continued loyalty (money at very least)

Apologies for how long this took and thanks for everyone's patience. 

The Remote DVR Functionality on the Xfinity Stream app, portal and Xfinity TV Remote app (i.e., the ability to record, modify and/or cancel DVR recordings via the app or portal without having to do so directly on a TV Box) was restored on September 23, 2019. 

Due to a legal ruling, we disabled the feature in 2017 while we actively pursued an appeal. 

More background here: https://www.lightreading.com/video/video-software/comcast-restores-remote-dvr-recording-function-aft...

The patents that prevented us from offering remote DVR recording via the Stream app expired while our appeal regarding those patents was pending, so it made sense to bring the feature back given the added convenience it can offer customers.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@plummerl wrote:
So here in Seattle, am I in a parallel universe where the legal machinations are still going on? I am devoid of recording capability in the Stream App, TV Remote App and even on the web Stream page. Functionality restored on 9/23, in what state?

All areas, are you still having an issue? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Re: what about recording buffered part of live program that was tied to the patent

After their research they found most folks (probably not heavy users) found more useful to just begin recording from moment they push the record button not what they had already viewed I personally think the option should pop up to choose from 🤷🏿‍♂️
Regular Contributor

Around 0900 (Seattle time) this morning, the Remote App finally had a record option. At 1000, the Stream App is still missing it.
New Poster

It wasn't actually 'resolved' by Comcast...they simply let the Tivo/Rivo patents they were judged to be infringing upon 3 years ago expire, which was a week ago.  Rivo is just a patent troll company for the defunct Tivo sofware and trying to squeeze licensing $$$ out of anyone and everyone they can.

Most Valued Poster

@Quonji wrote:
After their research they found most folks (probably not heavy users) found more useful to just begin recording from moment they push the record button not what they had already viewed I personally think the option should pop up to choose from 🤷🏿‍♂️

There were tons of voices expressing how much the recording buffer  was used. It was a much used very valuable feature and was involved in the patent issue.

Start watching something a bit late and need to capture the beginning because you can't back it up to the beginning OR like I used it ......watching something and realize that someone in the family would really like to see that.  I used it all the time as did so many many others. On Demand is not a viable alternative by the way.

Official Employee

The patents that prevented us from offering remote DVR recording via the Stream app expired while our appeal regarding those patents was pending, so it made sense to bring the feature back given the added convenience it can offer customers.

Regular Contributor

On Demand has always been useless except in a few specific cases.
Most Valued Poster

@orfartenbuehl wrote:
On Demand has always been useless except in a few specific cases.

I used to  enjoy On Demand when I used it to watch older episodes of fave shows and then they started charging for episodes less than a season old and that really made me mad.  Some I can see on Netflix but not that many.

Frequent Visitor

By “resolved” I said I was still trying to research the reason, so I meant the problem was resolved, which meant in whatever way it worked itself out, which would include patents expiring, because that would be the reason it “resolved” itself and gave us our dvr capability back.
Frequent Visitor

I love that I can speak into my remote “free John Wayne movies” and a list of 32 titles with their movie poster pops up for me to choose from there is a lot of content on demand as well and make sure to set up ur 30 sec skip forward option (exit,exit,exit 0030) makes ur page up button skip ahead 30 sec and page down 12 sec rewind this 30 sec skip option not only functions with recording but also on demand even when it says “fast forwarding has been disabled for this program”
Expert

@Quonji wrote:

while the local device might have a buffer depending on last time channel was changed or rebooted, the cloud DVR has no such feature. I'm guessing that they wanted to keep the recordings the same 'time period' on both cloud and local DVR.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Very important to know that It’s the tv show that’s charging for their older seasons of their program because they would and could rather sell the season 1 & 2 on Blu-ray at Best Buy but yes very fortunate when Netflix purchases rights to an older season and we can access it like that
Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

So here I am in Seattle, at 5pm (9/24). Recording option is still missing from the Stream App, as well as the web based Stream portal. Android TV Remote App has the option. I'm not thinking this is rocket science, but I guess it is.

Expert

@plummerl wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

So here I am in Seattle, at 5pm (9/24). Recording option is still missing from the Stream App, as well as the web based Stream portal. Android TV Remote App has the option. I'm not thinking this is rocket science, but I guess it is.

create a new unrestricted user and sign in with that username. working?

Regular Contributor

Let me get this straight. I'm (retired sw engineer) supposed to provide compensation free acceptance testing, debug and quality assurance to a multi-billion dollar corporation to test an App/web page? My brain refuses to even comprehend this task!
Frequent Visitor

Ya that is really weird the Xfinity stream is still labeled a “beta” product I mean whomever is running software platform dept should prob consider many folks are subscribing to new instant tv and flex packages offered by Comcast and yet have to download an app with “beta” in the title 😬
Expert

@Quonji wrote:
Ya that is really weird the Xfinity stream is still labeled a “beta” product I mean whomever is running software platform dept should prob consider many folks are subscribing to new instant tv and flex packages offered by Comcast and yet have to download an app with “beta” in the title 😬

shhh..  it's free while in beta!

Regular Contributor

Hmmmm, wasn’t it “free” before it was pulled in 2017?
Regular Contributor

Shhh! That's about what it's worth.
Expert

@orfartenbuehl wrote:
Hmmmm, wasn’t it “free” before it was pulled in 2017?

the app has been available the whole time on roku (channel) and some samsung TVs. I think you might be speaking of the record button feature.

Regular Contributor

That’s what I thought this whole conversation was about. Even when the ability to record remotely was gone, you could still view all channels on the stream app in home and a very limited number of channels away from home.
Most Valued Poster

@ComcastTeds wrote:

==

Wasn't that the same patent that caused us to lose the 'recording buffer' feature? I just need to understand and thanks.

Official Employee

@plummerl wrote:
Let me get this straight. I'm (retired sw engineer) supposed to provide compensation free acceptance testing, debug and quality assurance to a multi-billion dollar corporation to test an App/web page? My brain refuses to even comprehend this task!

Apologies, I will have someone reach out to you so that we can work to get your issue resolved.  Thanks for your patience. 

New Poster

I am checking the Xfinity app on my phone and still don't see that ability to set up a show to record.....

Regular Visitor

Be sure you don’t have any filters on. I was in the same boat but once I removed my guide filters (TV Go was on) I was able to see the record button.