Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: recording

I wish someone would CONVINCE user Lacquer of this. He insists over and over that he can set recordings from his Xfinity account on his computer but I asked him to detail the steps he takes and he has failed to reply.
_______
Don’t worry about it, you can’t make anyone reply. Just move on and use your service like you always do, they’ll use their service like they do.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:
I wish someone would CONVINCE user Lacquer of this. He insists over and over that he can set recordings from his Xfinity account on his computer but I asked him to detail the steps he takes and he has failed to reply.
_______
Don’t worry about it, you can’t make anyone reply. Just move on and use your service like you always do, they’ll use their service like they do.

You are correct Andrew but the fact that he insists we have a function that has not been available since Nov 2017 really bugs me. He can't possibly be using the service the way he professes.

Regular Contributor

Fully agree with TerriB.  I've tried several work arounds, but short of having another ISP that provides remote recording control, it's jut not possible with Comcast.  There might be some way to purchase a DVR or large hard drive, network it with your computer and control it over the internet.  That, however, is beyond my technical capability.  Comments have been made here by several people that Comcast is working on new software (?) that will end the problem, but no mention of that has been made recently.  I've had to resort to using a Roku when I am out of town for longer periods of time to watch newer shows that I wasn't able to set my Comcast DVR for before I left.  In fact, rather than try to find recent shows on demand (which is generally a waste of time), you can find most shows on major OTA or cable networks a few days after they air on a Roku.  I'm sure that's the same for the Fire and other similar outboard devices.  In fact, if Comcast doesn't restore the capability by the second anniversary of its disappearance, I will probably switch to internet only.  If we are going to time shift anyway, I can wait a few more days and save a LOT of money. 

Most Valued Poster

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

Fully agree with TerriB.  I've tried several work arounds, but short of having another ISP that provides remote recording control, it's jut not possible with Comcast.  There might be some way to purchase a DVR or large hard drive, network it with your computer and control it over the internet.  That, however, is beyond my technical capability.  Comments have been made here by several people that Comcast is working on new software (?) that will end the problem, but no mention of that has been made recently.  I've had to resort to using a Roku when I am out of town for longer periods of time to watch newer shows that I wasn't able to set my Comcast DVR for before I left.  In fact, rather than try to find recent shows on demand (which is generally a waste of time), you can find most shows on major OTA or cable networks a few days after they air on a Roku.  I'm sure that's the same for the Fire and other similar outboard devices.  In fact, if Comcast doesn't restore the capability by the second anniversary of its disappearance, I will probably switch to internet only.  If we are going to time shift anyway, I can wait a few more days and save a LOT of money. 

Well said! OR Maybe that user 'lacquer' will see his shadow and tell us how he does the magic he claims he can do and still  record from his account page .  I  gave him several chances to give detail of how he does it and I still say he was pranking and should be banned for life from the forums.

Diamond Problem Solver

Well said! OR Maybe that user 'lacquer' will see his shadow and tell us how he does the magic he claims he can do and still record from his account page . I gave him several chances to give detail of how he does it and I still say he was pranking and should be banned for life from the forums.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

And we turn the page on yet another month with no word on when we're getting this feature back, as we continue to get the copy-and-pasted response from Comcast support about using On Demand instead (still NOT the solution).

I appreciate the input from the Comcast employees/experts here and would imagine others do, too.  But please try to understand the frustration Comcast customers are feeling over this.

Can someone that works for the company please get reliable information about if/when/how this problem might actually be SOLVED and share it here?  I'm pretty sure that's all most of us are asking for at this point.

Diamond Problem Solver

And we turn the page on yet another month with no word on when we're getting this feature back, as we continue to get the copy-and-pasted response from Comcast support about using On Demand instead (still NOT the solution).

I appreciate the input from the Comcast employees/experts here and would imagine others do, too. But please try to understand the frustration Comcast customers are feeling over this.

Can someone that works for the company please get reliable information about if/when/how this problem might actually be SOLVED and share it here? I'm pretty sure that's all most of us are asking for at this point.
_______
Admyers, sorry nothing has changed, the best answer is unfortunately still the only answer.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

Hello mike31959. This is a feature we no longer offer as functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! 

as I understand it, only 'instant TV' customers have ability to record via apps/web etc as they have no set top box equipment at all in the home only xfinity internet.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

What is “instant TV”?  Is that when you use a Roku, Firestick or other device to watch streaming?  You can’t really view much live TV that way.  You can watch some shows on some networks a day or two after the live broadcast, but most major cable and OTA channels now have firewalls or require a cable TV subscription.  Plus, since you won’t be getting live TV, there would be no way to set a recording even if you had your own DVR or software to enable recording on your computer.  It’s simply not a viable solution to the loss of the remote record capability.

Contributor

I just got a notification that there's a new version of Xfinity COnnect ready for download. If this means that they're finallyagain allowing recording remotely, then I'll download it. Otherwise.....why bother. Anyone?

Diamond Problem Solver

Xfinity Connect is the email app, nothing to do with the Xfinity Stream app.

Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:
Well said! OR Maybe that user 'lacquer' will see his shadow and tell us how he does the magic he claims he can do and still record from his account page . I gave him several chances to give detail of how he does it and I still say he was pranking and should be banned for life from the forums.

So sorry you feel this is harassment. I was only trying to get someone like you to make him understand that we do not have this feature anymore when he insisted I was wrong but would not prove it.  I will just allow him to live in ignorance.

Frequent Visitor

I guess he still have function and possibly an instant tv susbcriber and they have recording function according to this article  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/cloud-dvr-stream-tv-overview
Regular Contributor

@JavinLoves wrote:

I guess he still have function and possibly an instant tv susbcriber and they have recording function according to this article - https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/cloud-dvr-stream-tv-overview 

You mean: 

404 ERROR

Sorry, the page you are looking for cannot be found.

I guess they pulled the page as soon as you mentioned it.

Diamond Problem Solver

FYI link had an extra space at the end of the link, causing the error. Edited, nothing nefarious.
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/cloud-dvr-stream-tv-overview

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Found the link, thank you.  Now I am totally confused.  How is this any different from the technology used to record in the cloud when we have an X1 box.  I think the main difference is that we are limited as to what we can store in the cloud versus the very large number of shows we can record on X1.  But, again, how does the use of software used for the instant stream recordings in the cloud any different from that which has been removed due to the lawsuit?  And, if it's the same, then why are we, who pay a lot more for the X1 system, unable to use the programming feature for the 60 hours we are allowed in the cloud?  This appears to be a distinction without any logic at all.   If this is a choice, I'd seriously consider dropping the X1 box in exchange for being able to set remote recordings and saving a substantial sum of money.

What is instant viewing and where is it available?

Frequent Visitor

Instant TV is another service you have to pay for. Totally unrelated. We are talking about just setting up a recording on your DVR when you are away from your home. Bring back this feature Comcast. We pay for it since you didn’t give us a discount when you took it away. There is no outstanding patent issue and other providers offer it. Stop diverting. This issue is not solved.
New Poster

Re: program dvr from a computer

Diamond Problem Solver

The B button is for accessibility settings

New Poster

TV Remote App

Why can't you schedule a recording from the Guide in the remote app. FIOS allows that. Especially if you are away and want to record a program you forgot to record from your home. I am sure I am not the first to ask for this option.

New Poster

Haha,
Comcast has had versions of this remote record button for 10 years. It’s ridiculous that they would have to remove this as they could buy TiVo with the interest on the interest on their net revenue. Having big patents myself that a a lot more important than a remote record button, it’s time to dust them off if this is true.
Regular Visitor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

So what do I do if I don't have a DVR box because I'm just getting Xfinity Stream on my laptop?

Expert

@RickBoardman wrote:

So what do I do if I don't have a DVR box because I'm just getting Xfinity Stream on my laptop?

do you have X1 service (like instant TV with no set top boxes, or non-DVR service with set top boxes) and xfinity internet?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

That is correct.  I have streaming only so right now I have no way of scheduling a recording.  I think this is a relatively new service.

Expert

@RickBoardman wrote:

That is correct.  I have streaming only so right now I have no way of scheduling a recording.  I think this is a relatively new service.

do you have xfinity internet service? 

New Poster

Recording

Can I record a show from a remote location using My Xfinity?

Problem Solver

Re: Recording

In the Xfinity My Account mobile app's TV Assistant regarding recording:

" Due to a legal ruling, the remote DVR features in the Stream and TV Remote apps have been disabled while we actively pursue an appeal.  We are sorry for the inconvenience and suggest you check On Demand to see if your show or movie is available there."

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Frequent Visitor

There is no current lawsuit preventing Comcast from bringing this feature back. Other providers offer it. The patent suit was overturned by the international court. Comcast should be giving all subscribers that used to have this feature a refund for discontuing this service.
Expert

@wmrpdx wrote:
There is no current lawsuit preventing Comcast from bringing this feature back. Other providers offer it. The patent suit was overturned by the international court. Comcast should be giving all subscribers that used to have this feature a refund for discontuing this service.

the patent court has invalidated each of the patent claims brought before it, however the import court that issued the injunction has not ruled yet on the patents.

Frequent Visitor

Yes I posted same thing a couple months ago and for unknown reasons it was pulled right off 🤷🏿‍♂️
Regular Contributor

The more I read the import court excuse, the more I dig into it.  Its rulings only cover material coming into the US, not disputes between US companies.  Since , in this case, both companies, Dish and Comcast are located in the US, I don’t see that they have any jurisdiction and could be ignored with impunity.  In fact, the patent court has full jurisdiction over matters like this and, if they rule that there is no infringement, that’s the end of the matter.  It’s becoming clear, at least to me, that Comcast is just using this as an excuse to deny its customers a feature that many were lured in by.  I have yet to see any input on this topic from a Comcast attorney willing to provide an explanation of why the company is listening to the import court over the patent court, especially since they have been victorious at the latter.  Let’s face it, this feature is gone forever and isn’t coming back.

Time to post disappearance 10...9...8...7...6....5.............poof.

Frequent Visitor

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

The more I read the import court excuse, the more I dig into it.  Its rulings only cover material coming into the US, not disputes between US companies.  Since , in this case, both companies, Dish and Comcast are located in the US, I don’t see that they have any jurisdiction and could be ignored with impunity.  In fact, the patent court has full jurisdiction over matters like this and, if they rule that there is no infringement, that’s the end of the matter.  It’s becoming clear, at least to me, that Comcast is just using this as an excuse to deny its customers a feature that many were lured in by.  I have yet to see any input on this topic from a Comcast attorney willing to provide an explanation of why the company is listening to the import court over the patent court, especially since they have been victorious at the latter.  Let’s face it, this feature is gone forever and isn’t coming back.

Time to post disappearance 10...9...8...7...6....5.............poof.

Well I like conspiracy theories just 'cause they're fun. But, in this case, I can see no reason why it is of any benefit for Comcast to deny this feature to its clients just to be mean. There is certainly no cost benefit to Comcast because the code already exists and the development work has been completed. At times, I can certainly hate Comcast as much as the next person, but it this case it's hard to imagine that they are free to provide the function, but just don't choose to out of spite.

Contributor

Nothing to do with "conspiracy". The rationale is that it costs money and resources to support the function. If Comcast can drop the function, as it did, without any remuneration to the customers, then that's a net positive ROI. What would be their incentive to reinstate the function unless they project in increase in customers if they did.

No conspiracy...it was a business decision.
Frequent Visitor

@Gladiator51 wrote:
Nothing to do with "conspiracy". The rationale is that it costs money and resources to support the function. If Comcast can drop the function, as it did, without any remuneration to the customers, then that's a net positive ROI. What would be their incentive to reinstate the function unless they project in increase in customers if they did.

No conspiracy...it was a business decision.

Well the function's been around for quite awhile. My guess is the code was pretty stable. It probably cost more resource to remove the darn thing and (hopefully) test and release new code. Just mho.

Frequent Visitor

Bottom line... other providers offer it. If Comcast brings it back they have to support it and update it as they update their platform, apps, etc. that is $$$ that we are already paying them that they are pocketing. There is no reasonable reason not to bring this feature back. We need to hear from a Comcast executive on this, not a tech or customer service rep echoing their worn out patent line.
New Poster

Re: Programming TV DVR from computer

I have been with Comcast since it started and have always been able to use my DVR and loosing that choice is making me reconsider my options. We pay a high fee to watch TV and we should be able to watch it any way we want to with out being told what we can do or not do. Soon we want have any freedoms left because it comes down to the dollar!

Most Valued Poster

@Quonji wrote:
Yes I posted same thing a couple months ago and for unknown reasons it was pulled right off 🤷🏿‍♂️

Many pushback reply posts on various topics  get yanked almost immediately even when they don't contain 'rule violations'. Its very disconcerting and mine will probably be yanked along with yours.

Frequent Visitor

Yes I agree I last posted a comment about getting some signatures together just enough for their corp attention in philly they would realize they need to reinstate the feature it was yanked within moments
Diamond Problem Solver

Your post you were describing was removed because of a forums violation. If you have any further questions PM a moderator.
Guidelines are found here
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Guidelines/Xfinity-Forum-Guidelines/td-p/3115028

For you specifically
The Comcast Help Forums are not to be used for trading/swapping, selling or advertising non-Comcast products, services, petitions, or other online venues. This includes soliciting others to participate in any type of specific action and authoring multiple posts about the same topic.

Regular Contributor

Comcast Andrew - Would you please elucidate in detail on why the post in question was pulled?  Just saying it violated forum rules tells us very little about which specific rule was violated.  In effect, you are both judge and jury operating in a Star Chamber manner.  If we are to avoid improper posts, it would be very helpful to know hat exactly triggers a deflection.  I would like to add that the general one concerning posts that do not add to the topic is so vague and applied so inconsistently that it amounts to censorship based on random application.  BTW, I do not expect an answer as this post probably violated something or other.

Diamond Problem Solver

If you read the post @Quonji inquired about, it was about gathering signatures, etc

Anything off topic or something/opinions that are posted multiple times is considered spam and that is usually removed, if you’re not sure before hitting the post button, don’t post If you have any questions going forward feel free to reach out to @ComcastJessie .

Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:
If you read the post @Quonji inquired about, it was about gathering signatures, etc

Andrew...I  read the guidelines and they state  'This includes soliciting others to participate in any type of specific action and authoring multiple posts about the same topic".  The times signatures is mentioned has nothing to do with getting signatures to present to Comcast.  What he was trying to do was to gather X1 users together  as a  larger voice  to try to get corporate's attention to the  recording issue and since thats all 'in house' I don't understand why thats in violation. I think our fear is that corporate is not fully  aware of the large community protesting the loss of this very popular feature and that we do not completely understand why it isn't being brought back.  Comcast reps like yourself listen and tell us what you know about the situation but do you advise corporate of what goes on with this forum's pushback and  the search for more information? All we want is for corporate to understand where we are coming from  and offer information directly in some format. We get nothing official ever from them.

Diamond Problem Solver

@TerriB it’s still a present violation. Employees trying to give information on any topic is what is given from corporate. Again, if you have questions going forward about forums guidelines contact @ComcastJessie as she is part of the admin team.

Administrator

All,

Since there has been no new updates to share this thread is now being locked for continued off-topic/guideline violation posts. If there are any updates to share in the future, we will share them here and this post will be unlocked again at that time. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Recording shows from xfinity website

Why did you remove the ability to record shows from the website?  This was a great feature I used often.

addendum:

I just saw the answer to this question from another post.  Hope Comcast resolves the legal issue with this asap!

Official Employee

Re: Recording shows from xfinity website

@veda000 wrote:

Why did you remove the ability to record shows from the website?  This was a great feature I used often.

addendum:

I just saw the answer to this question from another post.  Hope Comcast resolves the legal issue with this asap!

Placing this here so others can see as well, thanks! 

Due to a legal ruling, we disabled the remote DVR feature while we actively pursued an appeal.

Some recent background on this can be found at the links below:

http://www.ipbrief.net/2018/03/29/tivovcomcastroundii/
https://www.multichannel.com/news/comcast-looks-to-possibly-re-instate-remote-dvr-recording-feature-...
http://www.cablefax.com/regulation/will-remote-dvr-return-after-comcasts-latest-patent-win-over-tivo

https://www.multichannel.com/news/tivo-goes-after-comcast-again-at-the-itc

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

how do I set up DVR recording of a program from the streaming website or from the streaming app

This feature seems to have been removed due to a patent dispute with Tivo. Step up and fix this!

New Poster

Re: Recording shows using the Xfinity X1 app

Come on, Xfinity. Settle this dispute, pay the royalties, and get on with it. You took this important feature away and it all makes me want to swtich to YouTube TV where their use of Cloud Based DVR seems to get around the problem. Why don't you consider switching to cloud based DVR as a way around this dispute.

Official Employee

Re: Recording shows using the Xfinity X1 app

adfranklin2, I definitely understand your frustrations! I remember seeing commercials for movies and shows while I was out and being able to record them to my DVR while I was out of the house. It was awesome. I hope we bring this back as well but for the meantime, please take advantage of our vast on-demand content! 

Ken

Official Employee

Re: I can no longer record shows remotely

Remote DVR Functionality Restored

Today, September 23, the Remote DVR functionality on Xfinity Stream and Xfinity TV Remote app was restored.  The functionality lets you record, modify and/or cancel DVR recordings via the web portal (xfinity.com/stream) or apps.  Due to a legal ruling, we disabled the feature in 2017.