Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

Regular Contributor

Re: How do I use cloud DVR on my computer...

They will be thrilled to restore it, provided Comcast pays them Royalties. Otherwise, you can kiss the feature goodbye.
Expert

Re: How do I use cloud DVR on my computer...

@sanibel59 wrote:

Ok, so Rovi is the new owner. I wonder what their stance is on allowing Comcast to restore the app programming function?

Rovi bought TiVo to acquire their IP (patents in this case). They are defending legally the patent challenges.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Well that sure takes away a lot of features
New Poster

This feature was modern and key to my watching habits.  It is extremely inconvenient that it is no longer available, and certainly not only for a "few" customers. Comcast likely could pay TiVo for the rights to the technology but instead they get to have their cake and eat it to by continuing to charge the user for the feature, yet not paying the patent owner--for almost a year now. At least someone is winning in this deal. Please excuse me if someone else has made a similar comment--I did not read each of the 30 pages of log.

New Poster

Re: recording tv shows

@ComcastJK When is this going to be fixed?  We are going on almost a year now without this functionality.  If you can't use your own then you should pay Tivo for it's use.  This is completely ridiculous.

Regular Visitor

Re: remotely set a DVR

Well, that’s lame. Resolve the issue. Fix it. Or, allow us to remote into the DVR. Heck, expose the API and I’ll do it. It’s not that hard.
New Poster

On-Line Recording Setup

Why can't I set up a show to be recorded via My Xfinity Online accout?

New Poster

Set dvr recording when away from home

How do yo set dvr to record a program when away from home?  I have the remote app and find the program I want to record but don’t see option to set recording.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: On-Line Recording Setup

Comcast was found in violation of another company's patent for that feature. See employee ComcastJessie's reply in http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/m-p/3006430#M10834:

... Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. ...
Contributor

It's not broken. It's a patent issue , basically cease and desist. It was disabled/removed.
Regular Visitor

Re: program dvr from a computer

Love comcast! Now, just to make things more interesting, they have taken away the capability to watch a show while you record it. About 25% of the shows I record, I like to start watching after the show has been running for a time. Now, they display "episodes" instead of "watch" and you have to wait till the show completes before you can watch it. Also, normally, if you turn on a channel you are recording, you can back up the last 30minutes or so. Now, it won't allow any backing up.

Why do I keep comcast???
Expert

@Unhappy70 wrote:
Love comcast! Now, just to make things more interesting, they have taken away the capability to watch a show while you record it. About 25% of the shows I record, I like to start watching after the show has been running for a time. Now, they display "episodes" instead of "watch" and you have to wait till the show completes before you can watch it. Also, normally, if you turn on a channel you are recording, you can back up the last 30minutes or so. Now, it won't allow any backing up.

Why do I keep comcast???

you can only watch shows while being recorded while in your home connected to your home wifi. were you away from home and not connected to your home wifi? This is not new and is a restriction of the networks. After the recording completes you can watch or download.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

I don't think he's talking about watching over the network. Functionality of the DVR has been lost. See this thread about live buffer recording not available any more. That's a feature I miss (along with recording from the app). https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/Recording-from-Channel-Buffer/m-p/2852439

Expert

@TFOA wrote:

I don't think he's talking about watching over the network. Functionality of the DVR has been lost. See this thread about live buffer recording not available any more. That's a feature I miss (along with recording from the app). https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/Recording-from-Channel-Buffer/m-p/2852439

the post specifically discusses watching a recording while in progress (the recording 'is' the buffer in the example. no functionality is missing/lost that I'm aware of except that years ago the hot-recording no longer includes any buffer but only records starting at the point of pressing the record button. 

New Poster

Can I set up a program to record remotely?

I'm watching my home xfinity on my laptop.  How do I set up a program to record remotely?

Expert

Re: Can I set up a program to record remotely?

@sujudog wrote:

I'm watching my home xfinity on my laptop.  How do I set up a program to record remotely?

not possible at this time other than being able to call home and someone there would have to schedule the recording.

Diamond Problem Solver

Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. We apologize for the inconvenience, we are actively pursuing an appeal of the ruling.

If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it's available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize again for the inconvenience.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

This was the "solution" given by ComcastJessie Administrator on ‎11-27-2017 03:51 PM ...verbatim.

Thanks, pal.
Frequent Visitor

@CCAndrew wrote:

If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it's available on XFINITY On Demand!

It's not.  It's the press conference that was announced at the last minute.  The doubleheader that was scheduled after last night's rainout and didn't appear in the guide before I left for work this morning.  The can't-miss appearance of someone near and dear to me on the upcoming local news broadcast, which I just found out about.

On Demand does help sometimes, but it is not always the answer.  This is why remote recording is ... no, WAS ... so valuable.  Do Verizon and Dish Network have this feature?  If they do, why is a "legal ruling" not preventing them from offering it?  Are they licensing it from the intellectual property owner?  Perhaps doing that in parallel to a legal challenge to the patent?  As to provide superior customer service?  I honestly do not know, but if Comcast does not address this soon, I will most certainly be finding out.

New Poster

Remote Recording

How do I set a TV recording remotely (not at home)?

Regular Contributor

Re: Remote Recording

you don't

New Poster

DVR recording

can you set a new DVR recording when away from home

Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR recording

@brendale wrote:

can you set a new DVR recording when away from home

Sorry, Comcast isn't allowed to do that because of an injuction.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Less functionality, same price. I agree: lame.
Regular Visitor

Does anyone know where this stands? It's been almost a year & the issue still hasn't been resolved.

Is this still an ongoing issue with the FTC?

Regular Contributor

Ongoing issue in the court system, that Comcast is slowly but surely winning the cases

Most Valued Poster

@billmich88888 wrote:

Ongoing issue in the court system, that Comcast is slowly but surely winning the cases

Must be at a true snail's pace. A year is a long time for those who really used the feature Other carriers still have the feature and never had to go to court. Where do we find updates on the case since obviously you know where to look.  I know  I sure would like to keep up with it.

New Poster

Can’t set a recording using stream app

Call this another protest that I can’t set a recording from my phone. When my 2 year contract is up I’ll switch to something that gives me this capability. Comcast should pay a license fee if that’s what it takes to give this back to subscribers.
New Poster

Can't record from other devices

Use to when I logged onto my computer or phone it would give option to record / watch and I can't rmember the other option but now I don't have the option to record when I'm away from home.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: DVR recording

brendale -- The information RobertWy is correct. Unfortunately, there is no estimated time for when this will be available again.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
New Poster

Not only that, those of us w/o cable (so only have streaming) can't record ANYTHING. That SUUUUUUUUUCKS!!!

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Can't record from other devices

That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
New Poster

DVR Programming

Any way to add programs to be recorded by DVR while on the road?

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: DVR Programming

@jharoldbell wrote:

Nope

Silver Problem Solver

@jharoldbell wrote:

Sorry, TiVo patent prevents us from doing that.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Recording Programs

Can you record a program from you phone, computer, or ipad while away from home

Expert

Re: Recording Programs

@LynnB64 wrote:

Can you record a program from you phone, computer, or ipad while away from home

no, not at this time. 

Bronze Problem Solver

At this time there is no word on this. 

New Poster

Recording from ipad

• Why can’t I record directly from my iPad anymore?  It’s been a while but we use to be able to.  It doesn’t have the record button.
New Poster

Record program away from home

I am not ant hom and want to set a recordiing how can I do that from my computer or smart phone

Expert

Re: Record program away from home

at this time, it is not possible using a smart device to set a recording. 

New Poster

Re: Recording from device remote app

This was one of the dumbest ideas ever there is no point in having the app just to change channels. Once my contract is up I’m out never again wit a company the regresses and does not make any real improvement
Bronze Problem Solver

That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

New Poster

Set recordings through app

Why why why did they take away the ability to set recordings from the stream or remote app?? That is a fundemental feature of a mobile tv app?? It is one of the cheif complaints I hear about the app. Can it be brought back?
Expert

Re: Set recordings through app

@David8247 wrote:
Why why why did they take away the ability to set recordings from the stream or remote app?? That is a fundemental feature of a mobile tv app?? It is one of the cheif complaints I hear about the app. Can it be brought back?

Comcast has something less than 36 patent lawsuits against Rovi's patent claims and they are being reviewed by the patent court in Washington DC. Several have already been resolved. Rovi has not won one of the cases already resolved.

Regular Visitor

Record function blocked in app

Why was this topic locked?

Expert

Re: Record function blocked in app

@Don50 wrote:

Why was this topic locked?

when very similar threads are merged sometimes it locks. is unlocked now.

Regular Visitor

OK, Comcast is fighting Rovi. But the app recording feature is a major issue for many users.  How can this be made a top priority to resolve and when, realistically, will it be available?

Frequent Visitor

It's obviously not a top priority for Comcast, and that seems to be all that really matters to them.

Expert

@Don50 wrote:

OK, Comcast is fighting Rovi. But the app recording feature is a major issue for many users.  How can this be made a top priority to resolve and when, realistically, will it be available?

There were two Tivo patents (both now invalidated by the patent office). Comcast is working on the last hurdle (the Import Office) before re-enabling the record button.