Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

Expert

Re: False advertising regarding Xfinity Stream App


@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@terag1e wrote:

and your "on demand" offering comes WITHOUT fast forward so MUST WATCH COMMERCIALS. Until this gets sorted out, why not offer every subscriber a $2 per month rebate OR remove your silly fast forward restrictions.  Most of us record and gain the benefit of fast forwarding the 2.5 minutes or more of commercials from the end of one segment to the beginning of another.  Unless I am mistaken, that is CLEARLY in your control, not TiVo's.  If we could watch 90% or more of what we wish, WITH fast forward and rewind enabled, this probably would not be nearly as big a deal.  Those that record "special events" are still left in the cold, but relative to YOUR proposed solution, those that record to watch later, from a remote location, could AT LEAST fast forward through the commercials.  This is YOUR problem, not ours.  Witness, DISH and DirecTV having already paid the licensing fee (which YOU could do immediately and make this problem disappear, but choose NOT TO and rather pay expensive legal fees and court costs to APPEAL, which THEORETICALLY is already in our exhorbitant monthly fees that you command.

 

PAY THE LICENSE AND SATISFY YOUR CUSTOMERS!!


And don't forget that many On Demand programs now cost us to watch...insult to injury


the paid ones are pay per view items so more content is available


==

What do you consider pay per view? I consider those as special events like boxing matches that have special charges to be able to watch. What I am talking about are the many regular shows that are not old but  we can no longer watch free  'on demand'   They charge $2.99 to watch one episode or you can buy the whole season....wow. We used to be able to watch previous season shows for free but not now....Why not? Some shows go to On Demand after just a few episodes in the current seaon. Really?


the owners of the episodes determine by contract the 'free' viewing "stacking" of episodes (typically 5 in the past). Some networks are beginning to demand full current season of "stacking" but so far I've not seen an increase in the number of free on-demand episodes.


==

Rustyben...it wasn't that long ago that we could view the entire current season and usually the previous season too for free (and not On Demand) and then all of a sudden the stacking shortened and the charges On Demand started. Do we know what caused this to begin. Comcast boasts about On Demand but they fail to tell us its not usually free anymore.


the networks/producers glommed onto idea to reduce stacking and sell the out-of-stack via other OTT services.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Expert

Re: Record


@CJB99 wrote:

I use my computer to watch various shows at night and every now and again I see an advertisment for a new show that I might want to watch.  BUT I cannot figure out how to set up recording on my computer.  Does anyone out there know how to do that?

 

Thanks


someone at home (if any) would have to do the recording for you.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Re: Recording

Not any longer, apparently. That used to be a very convenient feature, but Comcast has trashed this important feature.

Regular Visitor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

This is a significant reduction in service that was too quietly taken away. You are the only company that doesn’t allow this now. Legal ruling aside, surely Xfinity could find a way to keep their promised level of service to their customers!. 

Now, my top of the line xfinity x1 service forces me to be home to set my VCR.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

pay the license on an interim basis.  then rely on the legal proceedings to be successful or not.  if legal does not work, stop paying lincense.  meanwhile, customers continue to benefit.  if legal is not successful - fire the lawyers, pay the license, move on.

New Poster

setting DVR while away from home

Why can't I set my DVR while away from home. Was able to do it with FIOS. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Lots of complaining (justified, of course), but any action? How many people have done something about this? Like switching providers (myself and one other person on this thread, I think), finding a workaround (one person figured out how to use a Slingbox), getting some money back (one person got a one-time! refund). Because if, out of hundreds of people who've complained on this thread, only a small handful have done anything, Comcast has no incentive to make customers happy. They knew this all along and they were (and are) right. The only thing that we don't know is whether any potential new customers got wind of this scam and chose not to sign up.

 

Also, we haven't (yet) heard of any class action suits by customers for breach of contract or similar (I haven't gone back to look at the Ts & Cs, but it's likely that there's a binding arbitration clause that precludes class action, or they may be immune thanks to recent Supreme Court rulings that favor common carriers and other big companies).

 

So ... don't hold your breath waiting for it to come back.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@xgrep wrote:

Lots of complaining (justified, of course), but any action? How many people have done something about this? Like switching providers (myself and one other person on this thread, I think), finding a workaround (one person figured out how to use a Slingbox), getting some money back (one person got a one-time! refund). Because if, out of hundreds of people who've complained on this thread, only a small handful have done anything, Comcast has no incentive to make customers happy. They knew this all along and they were (and are) right. The only thing that we don't know is whether any potential new customers got wind of this scam and chose not to sign up.

 

Also, we haven't (yet) heard of any class action suits by customers for breach of contract or similar (I haven't gone back to look at the Ts & Cs, but it's likely that there's a binding arbitration clause that precludes class action, or they may be immune thanks to recent Supreme Court rulings that favor common carriers and other big companies).

 

So ... don't hold your breath waiting for it to come back.


==

None of my business really but since you have switched providers why are you still on these forums. Seems that you should/would not be 'allowed' access as you are no longer a Comcast customer?

Most Valued Poster

Re: False advertising regarding Xfinity Stream App


@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@terag1e wrote:

and your "on demand" offering comes WITHOUT fast forward so MUST WATCH COMMERCIALS. Until this gets sorted out, why not offer every subscriber a $2 per month rebate OR remove your silly fast forward restrictions.  Most of us record and gain the benefit of fast forwarding the 2.5 minutes or more of commercials from the end of one segment to the beginning of another.  Unless I am mistaken, that is CLEARLY in your control, not TiVo's.  If we could watch 90% or more of what we wish, WITH fast forward and rewind enabled, this probably would not be nearly as big a deal.  Those that record "special events" are still left in the cold, but relative to YOUR proposed solution, those that record to watch later, from a remote location, could AT LEAST fast forward through the commercials.  This is YOUR problem, not ours.  Witness, DISH and DirecTV having already paid the licensing fee (which YOU could do immediately and make this problem disappear, but choose NOT TO and rather pay expensive legal fees and court costs to APPEAL, which THEORETICALLY is already in our exhorbitant monthly fees that you command.

 

PAY THE LICENSE AND SATISFY YOUR CUSTOMERS!!


And don't forget that many On Demand programs now cost us to watch...insult to injury


the paid ones are pay per view items so more content is available


==

What do you consider pay per view? I consider those as special events like boxing matches that have special charges to be able to watch. What I am talking about are the many regular shows that are not old but  we can no longer watch free  'on demand'   They charge $2.99 to watch one episode or you can buy the whole season....wow. We used to be able to watch previous season shows for free but not now....Why not? Some shows go to On Demand after just a few episodes in the current seaon. Really?


the owners of the episodes determine by contract the 'free' viewing "stacking" of episodes (typically 5 in the past). Some networks are beginning to demand full current season of "stacking" but so far I've not seen an increase in the number of free on-demand episodes.


==

Rustyben...it wasn't that long ago that we could view the entire current season and usually the previous season too for free (and not On Demand) and then all of a sudden the stacking shortened and the charges On Demand started. Do we know what caused this to begin. Comcast boasts about On Demand but they fail to tell us its not usually free anymore.


the networks/producers glommed onto idea to reduce stacking and sell the out-of-stack via other OTT services.

===

 

For the Comcast X1 customer this has resulted in less content and that is just so wrong. Its not our fault that the networks were allowed to do this. 


 

Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@TerriB wrote:

@xgrep

None of my business really but since you have switched providers why are you still on these forums. Seems that you should/would not be 'allowed' access as you are no longer a Comcast customer?


It's a very good question, and it's certainly your business. In fact, I asked that myself. After closing my account, I received email saying that although my account area would be inaccessible, I'd still be able to participate on the forums. So it's not like they "forgot to kick me off" at all. I don't believe that email was specifically for me; I think anyone who leaves is allowed to remain on the forums (for whatever reasoning they use).

 

As to why I would bother to contribute, as I said in a previous post, my overall experience with Comcast was sufficiently positive that I would come back if the circumstances and conditions arose (i.e., that I lived in an area serviced by Comcast, that they were competitive on this feature and others, etc.). So it's absolutely in my interest to see this situation improve for the better (the better for customers and employees, that is; I don't give a fig what happens to the CEO's compensation, he's rich enough).

 

I know that there's a troll (whose forum handle is a member of the genus gulo) who doesn't think my posts are constructive. I hope that they bother him sufficiently that his blood pressure goes up ten points and feels the need to lie down. If I had the sense that most people here felt that way, I'd bail, as I'd see no point in continuing.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@xgrep wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@xgrep

None of my business really but since you have switched providers why are you still on these forums. Seems that you should/would not be 'allowed' access as you are no longer a Comcast customer?


It's a very good question, and it's certainly your business. In fact, I asked that myself. After closing my account, I received email saying that although my account area would be inaccessible, I'd still be able to participate on the forums. So it's not like they "forgot to kick me off" at all. I don't believe that email was specifically for me; I think anyone who leaves is allowed to remain on the forums (for whatever reasoning they use).

 

As to why I would bother to contribute, as I said in a previous post, my overall experience with Comcast was sufficiently positive that I would come back if the circumstances and conditions arose (i.e., that I lived in an area serviced by Comcast, that they were competitive on this feature and others, etc.). So it's absolutely in my interest to see this situation improve for the better (the better for customers and employees, that is; I don't give a fig what happens to the CEO's compensation, he's rich enough).

 

I know that there's a troll (whose forum handle is a member of the genus gulo) who doesn't think my posts are constructive. I hope that they bother him sufficiently that his blood pressure goes up ten points and feels the need to lie down. If I had the sense that most people here felt that way, I'd bail, as I'd see no point in continuing.


Thanks so much...very interesting. You are not alone that some don't think some of our posts are constructive and there is more than one troll. I see more posts by long time forum contributers whom I acturally look to or their input being removed every day. Many are passionate about the crusades which does not sit well I guess.  I am in that number.  I feel we are here to provide input from our experiences and exchange/submit suggestions with Comcast AND each other and in my experience our peer to peer exchanges have been very constructive.  Some members can say whatever they want but others  have their posts removed or they get temporarily banned and I bet this post goes bye bye.  The forums are one of the only places we can voice our concerns and to have posts removed seems counter productive unless they are truly ugly.  Here is the definition of a forum:a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. Hope you stick around!

Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@TerriB wrote:

@xgrep

Thanks so much...very interesting. You are not alone that some don't think some of our posts are constructive and there is more than one troll. I see more posts by long time forum contributers whom I acturally look to or their input being removed every day. Many are passionate about the crusades which does not sit well I guess.  I am in that number.  I feel we are here to provide input from our experiences and exchange/submit suggestions with Comcast AND each other and in my experience our peer to peer exchanges have been very constructive.  Some members can say whatever they want but others  have their posts removed or they get temporarily banned and I bet this post goes bye bye.  The forums are one of the only places we can voice our concerns and to have posts removed seems counter productive unless they are truly ugly.  Here is the definition of a forum:a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. Hope you stick around!


Thanks for the support. I've had a couple of my posts removed. I refrain from foul language and name-calling, but one was removed as "off topic", because it brought up Comcast's bid for Sky as a way of illustrating that Comcast's priorities were elsewhere than customer satisfaction (I guess a moderator didn't see the connection). Some others were deleted as part of a mass deletion of several posts that perhaps got a bit too deep into the patent dispute. No way to know why these were considered inappropriate other than perhaps comments by certain people who might be deemed to represent Comcast might have been considered to pose some legal risk. Whatever. This is a private venue owned by Comcast; they can delete anything they want at any time and it doesn't constitute censorship or trampling of free speech. All things considered, they tolerate quite a bit of abuse (a lot of which they deserve ;-).

Most Valued Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@xgrep wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@xgrep

Thanks so much...very interesting. You are not alone that some don't think some of our posts are constructive and there is more than one troll. I see more posts by long time forum contributers whom I acturally look to or their input being removed every day. Many are passionate about the crusades which does not sit well I guess.  I am in that number.  I feel we are here to provide input from our experiences and exchange/submit suggestions with Comcast AND each other and in my experience our peer to peer exchanges have been very constructive.  Some members can say whatever they want but others  have their posts removed or they get temporarily banned and I bet this post goes bye bye.  The forums are one of the only places we can voice our concerns and to have posts removed seems counter productive unless they are truly ugly.  Here is the definition of a forum:a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. Hope you stick around!


Thanks for the support. I've had a couple of my posts removed. I refrain from foul language and name-calling, but one was removed as "off topic", because it brought up Comcast's bid for Sky as a way of illustrating that Comcast's priorities were elsewhere than customer satisfaction (I guess a moderator didn't see the connection). Some others were deleted as part of a mass deletion of several posts that perhaps got a bit too deep into the patent dispute. No way to know why these were considered inappropriate other than perhaps comments by certain people who might be deemed to represent Comcast might have been considered to pose some legal risk. Whatever. This is a private venue owned by Comcast; they can delete anything they want at any time and it doesn't constitute censorship or trampling of free speech. All things considered, they tolerate quite a bit of abuse (a lot of which they deserve ;-).


You are most welcome!  I have had more than my share of posts removed and there is never any cursing but they didn't like that I would not let go in a battle over a much needed feature . I have also experienced being banned because some egos could not stand me being a strong woman,  having a backbone and doing what I thought was the right thing to do and challenging them.   I have been walking on eggshells a lot since then but some members get really riled up and just plain abusive and never get banned or have their posts removed. Double standards are applied and it all depends on which moderators are watching.  Some of the Comcast reps  are patient  with this older woman and amazingly helpful in solving problems with customers and they know who they are! My huge KUDOs to them. 

New Poster

Why can I no longer set/schedule a DVR recording when I am away from home.

Why can I no longer set/schedule a DVR recording when I am away from home.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Why can I no longer set/schedule a DVR recording when I am away from home.


@bandgnoles wrote: Why can I no longer set/schedule a DVR recording when I am away from home.

Comcast was found in violation of another company's patent for that feature. Other companies have been willing to pay the patent owner a license fee to use the feature, but Comcast refuses. Comcast's official statement on this, such as it is, goes like this: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/m-p/3006430#M10834 :

 

... Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. ...
New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Has this issue been resolved and an app will now let you record remotely??

Thanks.

New Poster

TV Remote app

I am very annoyed and disappointed with the TV Remote application, long ago it was a great app where one programmed the recording of television programs very easily, now the app is a useless that is not useful at all, I do not explain why you guys damage up, I've been waiting for updates to see if they leave it as it was before but not, follow the same useless app, please, gentlemen, improve that app so that one can program the recordings from this app, it is not possible that xfinity with so much technology has an app as useless as the TV Remote app is.

New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

I am very sad that this feature (Controlling the DVR remotely from the IPhone or IPad) is no longer available.  I was at Costco store  yesterday and ran into a DirectTV sales woman.  She assured me that they have this feature and if I sign up with them I would get more channels for a lesser price and a $300.00 dollar Costco Visa debit card.  I am going to research all her sales BS before doing anything.  I also don't care for their Antenna stuck on my house (forever).  They will not remove the Antenna or their equipment after you tell them good bye.

New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

I must add that I love COMCAST and would not change service just becuase I can't set the DVR to record via my Iphone or Ipad.  I am so used to all the Bells and Whistels that are included.

New Poster

Re: Recording when away from home

I agree. Years ago we used to can go to on demand and watch what we wanted now we have to pay additional just to look at old shows or series. We already pay a high bill. Its ridiculous! I'm dropping them very soon
Expert

Re: Recording when away from home


@Firstlay_d wrote:
I agree. Years ago we used to can go to on demand and watch what we wanted now we have to pay additional just to look at old shows or series. We already pay a high bill. Its ridiculous! I'm dropping them very soon

the producers/owners of the actual program control what is available and they sell the non-available ones on various platforms.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Scheduling a recording is disabled

Hi,

 

When I now try to schedule a recording on the Xfinity website from my desktop computer, I get the error message listed above. Does anyone know why Xfinity made this change?

 

Some additional text with the message:

 

While DVR recordings can be enjoyed in this app, you can no longer schedule them here. You'll need to use your set top box or connected TV devices (e.g., Roku, Smart TVs) to schedule DVR recordings.

 

I understand that I can't schedule recordings any longer. I want to know why Xfinity made this change, and if they will bring this feature back. Sometimes I am away from home & I want to schedule a recording. With my Xfinity credentials, I could, until recently.

Regular Contributor

Re: Recording when away from home


@Rustyben wrote:

@Firstlay_d wrote:
I agree. Years ago we used to can go to on demand and watch what we wanted now we have to pay additional just to look at old shows or series. We already pay a high bill. Its ridiculous! I'm dropping them very soon

the producers/owners of the actual program control what is available and they sell the non-available ones on various platforms.


That's entirely understandable. It happens in all industries. So when a restaurant runs out of an expensive ingredient for a popular dish (let's say the truffles in "ravioli with truffles" at $35, for example), they propose a different dish, or they prepare the popular dish with a less-expensive ingredient (let's say mushrooms) and offer it at a lower price. They don't continue to offer the "ravioli with truffles" at the same high price, because they know that customers would be insulted, and many of them would go to a different restaurant if too much stuff like that went on. But Comcast knows that they have a quasi-monopoly, and that people are reluctant to go to the effort of finding a new restaurant. It doesn't make Comcast a place where customers feel like they're being treated with respect.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Scheduling a recording is disabled

Comcast no longer has the rights to offer that feature. Can be done with Tivo only.

New Poster

DVR Control

Why can't I use the Xfinity Stream app to control the DVR when away from the house? I do not believe that it is a legal issue as Comcast's agents have told me. We do not have this issue at our other house which is served by Spectrum.
Expert

Re: DVR Control


@jwinningham wrote:
Why can't I use the Xfinity Stream app to control the DVR when away from the house? I do not believe that it is a legal issue as Comcast's agents have told me. We do not have this issue at our other house which is served by Spectrum.

please scroll to bottom of this page and select page one of the thread. the first post has the explanation attached as 'best answer'.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Contributor

Re: Why can I no longer set/schedule a DVR recording when I am away from home.

 


@BruceW wrote:

@bandgnoles wrote: Why can I no longer set/schedule a DVR recording when I am away from home.

Comcast was found in violation of another company's patent for that feature. Other companies have been willing to pay the patent owner a license fee to use the feature, but Comcast refuses. Comcast's official statement on this, such as it is, goes like this: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/m-p/3006430#M10834 :

 

... Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. ...

The full first two sentences of that 11-27-17 post by ComcastJessie are:  "Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. We apologize for the inconvenience, we are actively pursuing an appeal of the ruling."

 

Do "foreseeable future" and "we are actively pursuing an appeal of the ruling" still apply?  I just saw, for the first time, the statement Comcast added to the Recordings section of the stream app.  It does not lead one to believe that remedies allowing reinstatement of the feature are being pursued (except, perhaps, the fact that there is a button for feedback).

 

I have to wonder if the reason Comcast only recently added the "Recording Disabled" note, instead of six months ago, is that they have decided to cease pursuing a remedy.

Regular Contributor

Re: Why can I no longer set/schedule a DVR recording when I am away from home.


@Dennis25 wrote:

I have to wonder if the reason Comcast only recently added the "Recording Disabled" note, instead of six months ago, is that they have decided to cease pursuing a remedy.


Could also be that they simply wanted to let people know so that they wouldn't have to call support or post on the forums to find out what happened. I think they took as much heat for not letting people know as for removal of the feature.

Contributor

Re: Why did Xfinity remove Recording from Website and Mobile Apps?

A major problem is the apparent failure of Comcast to aggressively announce this development to customers. I found this out when I went to use it. It is not enough to just have employees participate in forums.

Comcast should have either lowered prices or given some equivalent sevices to make up for this. Making the millions of customers pay for a protracted legal quest is not good for customers.

What a great company this would be IF they provided decent customer service!
New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Comcast ("Xfinity") never notifiedme that they had changed their app. When I contracted with them they had the DVR record feature available on the phone/pad remote. I believe they owe subscribers money back for this deleted function, one of the most inportant on the app. Are they in breach of their provider contract, allowing subscribers to get out of the contract?

Expert

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@joetut1937 wrote:

Comcast ("Xfinity") never notifiedme that they had changed their app. When I contracted with them they had the DVR record feature available on the phone/pad remote. I believe they owe subscribers money back for this deleted function, one of the most inportant on the app. Are they in breach of their provider contract, allowing subscribers to get out of the contract?


it is a free feature, so no money to credit back. it is not a contract provision. Comcast is working on the problem with the (patent?) court system to resolve the issue(s)


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Why can I no longer set my Drv to record from the xfinity stream or remote apps?

I used to be able to set my DVR to record while away from home. Now I get a message saying this feature has been disabled. Why?

Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

I’ve never signed a contract with Comcast.  Neither have many Comcast customers.  Does that mean Comcast can remove any features they want at any time and still charge us the same amount?  There are no “free” services provided by Comcast.  To say so implies that we should have written contracts enumerating everything that they provide.  The remote record feature was touted as part of the Comcast package for many years.  It was not listed as a “free” feature.  It was listed as one of the things you received as a Comcast cable customer.  I recognize that companies can change just about anything they provide.  And it’s extremely rare that they lower prices when they cut features.  They do, however, immediately raise rates when they add features.  Comcast’s behavior as a corporation has been despicable over the past several months.  It took about 6 months before they would even acknowledge the feature was gone in the app.  And the explanations provided are virtually useless to us, as customers.  It’s also questionable as to why, when Comcast is preparing to spend billions of dollars in acquisitions, it’s not willing to pay for a feature that many of us used and still need.

 

I fully expect that this post will be removed as “unhelpful.”  However, before you do so, recognize that absolutely nothing on this thread has been helpful to us as customers.  The forum is here to air legitimate questions and grievances about services provided, added, removed or not provided.  

If not, then there is no point at all in having the Comcast forums.  

 

New Poster

XFINITY stream app

I’m also experiencing performance issues where it’s skips while watching a recording - several times in the last week it gave me errors on downloading a recorded show to my iPhone ((when I was on my home network) and I just found out that you are no longer going to support reordong shows from the streaming - that’s very BAD!! I find extremely useful to be able to record shows via the app especially when I’m not at home!!!
Expert

Re: Why can I no longer set my Drv to record from the xfinity stream or remote apps?


@Momsy777 wrote:

I used to be able to set my DVR to record while away from home. Now I get a message saying this feature has been disabled. Why?


please scroll to bottom of this page and select page one of the thread. the first post has the explanation attached as 'best answer'.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Comcast offers to buy Fox media assets for $65 billion in cash

 

Seems you have enough cash to pay the royalties and or fine to get the record option back for remote scheduling.

 

 

Listen to your customer base

Highlighted
Expert

Re: XFINITY stream app


@Johnholte wrote:
I’m also experiencing performance issues where it’s skips while watching a recording - several times in the last week it gave me errors on downloading a recorded show to my iPhone ((when I was on my home network) and I just found out that you are no longer going to support reordong shows from the streaming - that’s very BAD!! I find extremely useful to be able to record shows via the app especially when I’m not at home!!!

feature has been gone since last half of 2017. it is in litigation and no further information is available.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@Rustyben wrote:

@joetut1937it is a free feature, so no money to credit back. it is not a contract provision. Comcast is working on the problem with the (patent?) court system to resolve the issue(s)

Please be careful @RustyBen, you're treading on some thin legal ice. There's such a thing as an "implied in-fact contract" which could apply to this situation: removal of a promised/expected feature, whether it's explicitly named in a written contract or not. Advertisements extolling the feature may or may not be considered material to whether it's part of such an unwritten contract, but might be entered as evidence into any litigation.

 

Your comment that Comcast is working on it is more than sufficient response, and doesn't enter into speculation about whether Comcast owes anyone anything or why. The Terms of Service that everyone signed, whether they realized it or not (including @orfartenbuehl), allow Comcast to change almost anything at any time without warning or compensation. Here's the actual policy as it currently figures on the website:

 

https://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/SubscriberAgreement

 

Please take a look at the beginning of section 4:

 

"Subject to applicable law, we have the right to change our Service(s), Xfinity Equipment, rates and charges, at any time with or without notice to you. We also may rearrange, delete, add to, or otherwise change programming or features or offerings contained in the Service(s), including, but not limited to, content, functionality, hours of availability, equipment requirements, speed, and upstream and downstream rate limitations."

 

The full set of all Terms is here:

 

https://www.xfinity.com/policies

 

I highly recommend that anyone wishing to understand their rights read these (I have, and I'm not even a lawyer). In addition to the above, you will find that you've agreed to Binding Arbitration for resolution of disputes, but you can opt out of that by informing Comcast in writing. I expect that almost nobody on this forum knew about the binding arbitration clause, and that exactly nobody bothered to opt out.

 

Lastly, my previous post on this subject was removed; removal of posts that are factual and inoffensive could be seen as an attempt to cover up something that Comcast would rather not have known, and 

Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

... might have exactly the opposite of the desired effect.

New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

This is not what the rrep told me when I was sigining up for xfinity. Had I known this I wouldn;t have switched carriers. 

 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@xgrep wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@joetut1937it is a free feature, so no money to credit back. it is not a contract provision. Comcast is working on the problem with the (patent?) court system to resolve the issue(s)

Please be careful @RustyBen, you're treading on some thin legal ice. There's such a thing as an "implied in-fact contract" which could apply to this situation: removal of a promised/expected feature, whether it's explicitly named in a written contract or not. Advertisements extolling the feature may or may not be considered material to whether it's part of such an unwritten contract, but might be entered as evidence into any litigation.

 

Your comment that Comcast is working on it is more than sufficient response, and doesn't enter into speculation about whether Comcast owes anyone anything or why. The Terms of Service that everyone signed, whether they realized it or not (including @orfartenbuehl), allow Comcast to change almost anything at any time without warning or compensation. Here's the actual policy as it currently figures on the website:

 

https://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/SubscriberAgreement

 

Please take a look at the beginning of section 4:

 

"Subject to applicable law, we have the right to change our Service(s), Xfinity Equipment, rates and charges, at any time with or without notice to you. We also may rearrange, delete, add to, or otherwise change programming or features or offerings contained in the Service(s), including, but not limited to, content, functionality, hours of availability, equipment requirements, speed, and upstream and downstream rate limitations."

 

The full set of all Terms is here:

 

https://www.xfinity.com/policies

 

I highly recommend that anyone wishing to understand their rights read these (I have, and I'm not even a lawyer). In addition to the above, you will find that you've agreed to Binding Arbitration for resolution of disputes, but you can opt out of that by informing Comcast in writing. I expect that almost nobody on this forum knew about the binding arbitration clause, and that exactly nobody bothered to opt out.

 

Lastly, my previous post on this subject was removed; removal of posts that are factual and inoffensive could be seen as an attempt to cover up something that Comcast would rather not have known, and 


==

 

That is the best information I have ever seen on the subject of what Comcast can and cannot do as to our services/features, etc.  I thank you so much. I have had them for 36 years and if I had a contract with those words its probably dry rotted by now. I think its just so wrong that any  post on this subject was removed.  The information you have provided is not in violation of any forum guidelines. It is of great value and answers many questions and speaks to the many posts about never being notified of changes, needing our charges reduced, etc, etc. I just hope people read what you posted and may stop posting about being notified or having charges reduced...blah blah blah. I doubt we ever get the remote feature back and that is truly sad.

Official Employee

Re: Why can I no longer set my Drv to record from the xfinity stream or remote apps?

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal. That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

New Poster

scheduling dvr

when will the lawsuit be resolved. they sold the x1 on the premise that you can schedule the dvr remotely, that feature is gone.

New Poster

DVR

I am a way from home and noticed that there is an up coming show I want to record on my DVR.  Is there a way that I can do so remotely?

Expert

Re: DVR


@Clarence0627 wrote:

I am a way from home and noticed that there is an up coming show I want to record on my DVR.  Is there a way that I can do so remotely?


not at this time. (other than having someone at home set the recording for you). see first page of this thread and the answer to the first post.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Why has Comcast removed the ability to set recordings from the stream website & app?

With the unreasonable rates that Comcast charges for cable, why on earth would they REMOVE desirable features??????????

Frequent Visitor

7 Months and I still cannot record remotely on X1

Let’s get going Comcast.  This “temporary inconvenience” is becoming the norm.  Did you forget that that you took that feature away.  Just buy TIVO already.  Obviously, your software geniuses cannot come up with a solution!!  Another NASCAR race missed...and PLEASE don’t feed me that line about ON DEMAND.  All of the “lack of functionality for $300 a month.  PITIFUL!

Expert

Re: Why has Comcast removed the ability to set recordings from the stream website & app?


@jimbom wrote:

With the unreasonable rates that Comcast charges for cable, why on earth would they REMOVE desirable features??????????


see the first post on the first page for the answer. 


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Contributor

Re: Why has Comcast removed the ability to set recordings from the stream website & app?


@Rustyben wrote:

@jimbom wrote:

With the unreasonable rates that Comcast charges for cable, why on earth would they REMOVE desirable features??????????


see the first post on the first page for the answer. 


Doesn't answer the question "Why didn't Comcast choose to pay TiVo and continue to offer the feature like other TV providers *while* litigating the patents so that its customers wouldn't be inconvenienced and annoyed?" That's the real question. Nobody cares about the legal stuff.

Expert

Re: Why has Comcast removed the ability to set recordings from the stream website & app?


@xgrep wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@jimbom wrote:

With the unreasonable rates that Comcast charges for cable, why on earth would they REMOVE desirable features??????????


see the first post on the first page for the answer. 


Doesn't answer the question "Why didn't Comcast choose to pay TiVo and continue to offer the feature like other TV providers *while* litigating the patents so that its customers wouldn't be inconvenienced and annoyed?" That's the real question. Nobody cares about the legal stuff.


Tivo appears to be trying to enforce a patent that the Supreme court specifically in the Alice decision has stated is not a valid use of a patent. Scotus said you can not patent an abstract idea. Once in patent court (not the current 'import court' ) an actual patent judge will be able to rule on the Tivo claim. at that point the record function can be turned back on.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.