Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

Frequent Visitor

Re: Recording from my app

I have the same problem.  

Diamond Problem Solver

All,

Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. We apologize for the inconvenience, we are actively pursuing an appeal of the ruling.

If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it's available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize again for the inconvenience.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@CCAndrew wrote:
All,

Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. We apologize for the inconvenience, we are actively pursuing an appeal of the ruling.

If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it's available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize again for the inconvenience.

And, if your show is not available in Comcast On Demand, you are out of luck and Comcast could care less.  They offer nothing at all with regard to solving the problem, which is easily solved by other companies, and even Comcast in the past, pay Tivo royalties to use their patent.  Since they paid previously, what changed, other than Comcast greed.  You should realize that the price of the royalties has been priced into our monthly fee for years.  So, again, I ask, what changed as they don’t seem to be eager to settle this or refund the portion of our fee that went for the royalties in the past.

Since there is little chance that this post will remain up very long, better read it fast.

Regular Contributor

And, if your show is not available in Comcast On Demand, you are out of luck and Comcast could care less.  They offer nothing at all with regard to solving the problem, which is easily solved by other companies, and even Comcast in the past, pay Tivo royalties to use their patent.  Since they paid previously, what changed, other than Comcast greed.  You should realize that the price of the royalties has been priced into our monthly fee for years.  So, again, I ask, what changed as they don’t seem to be eager to settle this or refund the portion of our fee that went for the royalties in the past.

Since there is little chance that this post will remain up very long, better read it fast.

I've read the same stuff in the press, and I think you might be oversimplifying things a bit. That is, I'm not sure that Comcast was paying for the right to use this feature and then decided to stop paying when they lost the recent decision. If they had been paying, there wouldn't have been any litigation. It's true that they were (and no doubt still are) licensing some TiVo patents, but I don't know what the deal was with the patent(s) affecting this specific feature.

In any case, let's not forget that many of Comcast's competitors are paying so that they can still offer the feature.

Regular Contributor

Can't you still set a recording if you are using the box (vs. the app)? I have my own DVRs since they are superior to Comcast and Tivo, plus I think the X1 platform is lousy. I lost remote DVR programming years ago as the service was going out of business (but there is a strong grassroots following so we continue to maintain the DVR system). I can record (and download) any show I want by programming on the box itself (or on any DVR or computer in the house). Can't you still do that with the X1 DVR too?

Regular Contributor

You can set recordings only if you are home sitting in front of your main DVR or linking DVR boxes. With regard to over simplification, the only reason we know so little about what Comcast did in the past is that they won’t tell subscribers anything. I have no idea exactly what they were paying for or if they are still paying to use some features and not others. By not providing any definitive information to its customers, our only option is to assume the worst - that they had been paying for the feature and are now refusing to do so. If that’s not correct, it’s up to Comcast to tell us otherwise. It’s been nearly four months since the feature was removed and there still had been no official statement of what is going on. My calls to senior management have been met with obfuscation, lack of knowledge and zero solid information,
Regular Contributor

One person reported being able to use Slingbox to set recordings, since it has a programmable IR emitter that can control the Comcast box. And there are other devices that can do this. Most people don't have them, and (not coincidentally) devices that were at one time able to do this no longer can (TiVo got them). It's possible to concoct a combination of devices that will do what you want, but it's super-geeky and in no way seamless.

Regular Contributor

Forgot to mention: your best/only solution at this time is to move to a competitor or some other platform ("cut the cord").

Regular Contributor

@sbwinter2 wrote:

Can't you still set a recording if you are using the box (vs. the app)? I have my own DVRs since they are superior to Comcast and Tivo, plus I think the X1 platform is lousy. I lost remote DVR programming years ago as the service was going out of business (but there is a strong grassroots following so we continue to maintain the DVR system). I can record (and download) any show I want by programming on the box itself (or on any DVR or computer in the house). Can't you still do that with the X1 DVR too?

Yes, you can, if you have a device that can control the Comcast box (e.g., with an IR emitter).

Regular Contributor

@xgrep wrote:

@sbwinter2 wrote:

Yes, you can, if you have a device that can control the Comcast box (e.g., with an IR emitter).

You mean a remote control 😁?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, you are the first one to explain the problem with Tivo.  I live in an area that has not other choice for cable except comcast.  Comcast should be concerned that they will lose a whole big bunch of angry customers if a good alternative is available.  The customers are not just angry about the DVR issue, but a multitude of issues besides just being ripped off by there high fees.  I will jump in a minute if I find an alternative.  Maybe amazon fire TV will be the answer?  Thanks for your reply.

Frequent Visitor

Most programs are NOT on the ON DEMAND menu and certainly not the ones I have wanted to record while away from home or when hospitalized. Plus I cannot delete programs when I am in the hospital now like I used to be able to do. If the other services let you do these things, figure out how they did it (their own tech or licensed the tech to use) AND DO IT. Xfinity is one of if not the most expensive tv service & is giving less for the money every month.
Regular Contributor

@orfartenbuehl wrote:
Problem is that you will still need high speed Internet from some vendor. If Comcast is your only choice, and that’s all you buy from them, you will really be ripped off.

I can certainly confirm that from my own experience. But there's more competition for Internet access than TV content, so your odds of getting a reasonably-priced Internet provider are better than the odds of switching to a different content provider. Even so, in most areas, you have a choice of content providers thanks to the different delivery modes: cable, copper/fiber, satellite. Cable is preferred by many people for a variety of reasons, but most people aren't totally locked in (many are, though).

The main obstacle to switching providers isn't necessarily availability or price, it's consumer inertia. All service providers know that customers are slow to switch for many legitimate reasons, and that enters into their calculations/projections. But Comcast's strategic decision on this particular issue has stirred up more ill will than many that we've seen. Just look at the current Facebook data scandal. How many people do you think will drop Facebook? And yet their stock dropped 9% in the first two days after the news broke.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast continues to neither say nor do anything about this issue. You would think with all the people dropping cable and streaming they would be more concerned.

New Poster

Set recording from iphone

I used to be able to set a recording from my iPhone or iPad. This option has disappeared from the channel guide on the mobile app. How do I get that back?

Regular Contributor

@BFG2015 wrote:

Comcast continues to neither say nor do anything about this issue. You would think with all the people dropping cable and streaming they would be more concerned.

"all the people"? I wish you were right, but I don't think many people have dropped Comcast over this (or will). They've said all they're going to (for the moment - until they change their strategy or win the appeal). Very few people are leaving over this (at least from what I can tell). Again, I hope that you're right, but I doubt it. Prove me wrong ... :-)

Regular Visitor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

This feature is one of the major reasons I signed up for Comcast DVR service.  Stop apologizing for the "inconvenience" and FIX IT.  It's been over 3 months now.  The feature is still not available, and no discounted price has been offered for the "inconvenience" of being unable to use a feature I signed up for.  Please provide an update.  If this feature is not restored soon, it's time for me to find a new service provider. 

Regular Contributor

@loopschick wrote:

This feature is one of the major reasons I signed up for Comcast DVR service.  Stop apologizing for the "inconvenience" and FIX IT.  It's been over 3 months now.  The feature is still not available, and no discounted price has been offered for the "inconvenience" of being unable to use a feature I signed up for.  Please provide an update.  If this feature is not restored soon, it's time for me to find a new service provider. 

In fact, it's been since November, when they removed the feature, so four months. If you have anything in writing that you were given (collaterals, user guides) that specifically mentions that feature, then you would possibly have a case of breach of contract (but I suspect that you can't sue, because there was probably a binding arbitration clause in whatever you signed when you subscribed).

We can't know, of course - Comcast could decide to pay TiVo and restore it - but based on how long it will take for their appeal to get through the legal process, it will not be restored soon. And anyway, why wait? If you have the possibility to switch providers, the competition might be happy to get your business with a very attractive offer. Do your research, set yourself a date, and then follow through. Or, like the rest of us here, enjoy complaining :-).

Frequent Visitor

remote Recording

Why. Can’t I set a show to record when i’m Not home, via the website or app?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: remote Recording

@gfootewrote:

Why. Can’t I set a show to record when i’m Not home, via the website or app?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

Frequent Visitor

Switch to TIVO. It still supports remote recording!

Regular Visitor

Where is this issue currently? It is very inconvenient that you cannot program the dvr from the app.  Is Comcast working on the ability to supply this technology?

Regular Contributor

@JMPG wrote:

Where is this issue currently? It is very inconvenient that you cannot program the dvr from the app.  Is Comcast working on the ability to supply this technology?

Yes, they've appealed the court decision that ruled that they couldn't import X1 boxes that support the feature. If/when they win the appeal, they will probably restore the feature. That could take a while. Don't go on a starvation diet; you'll be dead before it comes back.

Regular Visitor

So, basically, folks like us that paid to get this feature can't because Comcast is balking at paying a licensing fee. Either pay the stupid fee and give us what were paying for, or give us a discount. Until then your just pocketing the difference, yet another screw...
New Poster

That would be helpful if almost every single series on your app has at least one episode that says in home viewing only!! What is the reason for this? So I'm s.o.l. if I don't record it you cant watch it. And if you're away from home and cant set up the recording you'll never see it. Should stop making things inhome only until remotely setting up a recording is fixed. For all the money I pay every month I'm ready to cancel cable like half the country has already done.
Frequent Visitor

Even TIVO allows it, and it is on the Comcast network using a cable card!

Frequent Visitor

All the more reason to switch to TIVO!

Frequent Visitor

So, Rustyben, you remove anything negative.  I can understand why you would.  However it might be wise for Comcast to consider the "negative narrative" as constructive criticism and take appropriate corrective action.

Regular Contributor

@plew2 wrote:

So, Rustyben, you remove anything negative.  I can understand why you would.  However it might be wise for Comcast to consider the "negative narrative" as constructive criticism and take appropriate corrective action.

That's a plausible suggestion, but I can think of three reasons why it may not be a good one (you can probably think of others):

1. Comcast is fully aware of what's going on and don't need additional suggestions or evidence of customer displeasure. They can gauge the level of discomfort by the number of people who leave better than the complaining on this forum.

2. There may be legal considerations: allowing certain statements to go unfiltered could potentially damage their position in current or future litigation. I have no idea what those might be, but I'm not a Comcast attorney.

3. Sometimes comments can get a bit nasty, and could lead to frustrated people attacking each other and the whole thing escalating out of control, which would ruin the value of this forum for all concerned.

Regular Contributor

DVR Manager

Is it possible while logged into the DVR Manager on my PC to be able to schedule shows on our X1 DVR?  If it is there, I don't see it.

Additionally, I would like to be able to record a channel from the DVR Manager, ie. Channel 702 from 6pm to 10pm.  The latter can be done with the X1 Guide.

Expert

Re: DVR Manager

@MichaelCA wrote:

Is it possible while logged into the DVR Manager on my PC to be able to schedule shows on our X1 DVR?  If it is there, I don't see it.

Additionally, I would like to be able to record a channel from the DVR Manager, ie. Channel 702 from 6pm to 10pm.  The latter can be done with the X1 Guide.

short answer is no. see page one of this mega thread. the first post has comcast's current answer/guide.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Recording difficulty

Unhappy that I cannot program a recording remotely anymore.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

X1 DVR recording setup

I want to schedule a show to record but I'm on vacation.  How can I do it from My Xfinity app?

New Poster

Can not record from mobile device nor computer

Comast removed the option to set recording with mobile and computer devices. This has been extremely frustration. I watch most of my programming AWAY from the TV. At work, I may remember to record a game that I am missing, but I can't. I can't pause live tv on my computer like I can on the TV. What is up with that? More people are watching content away from the TV, yet Comcast is going backwards. The option to set up recordings was available last year. I recalled using it all the time, but now, that option is not available.

COMCAST, Please bring back the ability to set recording on mobile devices.

Regular Visitor

Lost ability to set recording from Stream ios app

A little while back, I was able to set a single or series recording from the stream app. That functionality has seems to disappear.  Can it be restored or can it be done in another app?

Most Valued Poster

@plew2 wrote:

==

Negative narrative being removed has going on for a long time.  I guess they don't want it   what we consider constructive criticism or pushback in an attempt to understand why valuable features are removed  to be seen. Many  basic useful features that have nothing to do with legal issues have been taken away from us....slo mo/frame by frame/recording buffer/ 'b' button picture in picture are examples. Complaining can result in punitive action. Wanna bet this post gets removed too?

New Poster

recording tv show

I used to be able to set up tv recordings from my computer when I was away from home. Now when I go to do that I cannot find the record button to set the recording when I go through the TV lineup. I want to record the new TV show The Terror on AMC (as a series) and I am not able to. I am not at home and want to set up the recording now so I don't forget to. It was very easy to do previously.

New Poster

remote recording

Several months ago Comcast deleted our ability to set or modify recordings from xfinity.com website. When will Comcast return that ability to us?

New Poster

set recording

Why can't I no longer set or modify a recording from the xfinity website?

Expert

Re: remote recording

for Comcast's answer go to page one, the first post has Comcast's current official answer to the question.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

prioritizing scheduled recordings

How can you prioritize scheduled recordings online instead of the DVR.

Setting them on the DVR is not customer friendly and takes forever

Contributor

Bottom line: This is not going to change any time soon. Comcast has no interest in restoring it.  Only solution is to go with a TiVO. I've had one for decades (!) and I'd be at a loss not to have one.  Aside from other pluses that Comcast boxes don't have, you can remotely set the TiVO from either a computer or their easy-to-use mobile app. Granted, it will cost you for the box, their monthly fee, and Comcast may or may not charge you monthly  for using a Cable Card (necessary to pick up their signal...some offices bill you, others not...it's crazy), but the cost is well worth not having to complain about what the Comcast boxes can and cannot do. Discloser: I have no connection to TiVO whatsoever other than being a customer.

Most Valued Poster

@hybucket wrote:

Bottom line: This is not going to change any time soon. Comcast has no interest in restoring it.  Only solution is to go with a TiVO. I've had one for decades (!) and I'd be at a loss not to have one.  Aside from other pluses that Comcast boxes don't have, you can remotely set the TiVO from either a computer or their easy-to-use mobile app. Granted, it will cost you for the box, their monthly fee, and Comcast may or may not charge you monthly  for using a Cable Card (necessary to pick up their signal...some offices bill you, others not...it's crazy), but the cost is well worth not having to complain about what the Comcast boxes can and cannot do. Discloser: I have no connection to TiVO whatsoever other than being a customer.

===

Yes but having to buy another box and pay for another service on top of the $200+ I pay Comcast  just to get what I  already pay Comcast for seems punitive. I  can deal with 'workarounds' but not ones that I have to pay for....lol. I had TIVO back in the Jurassic  period when it was the only game in town and then along came  Comcast with DVR,etc. and now here we are going  back in time.

Regular Contributor

I’m in complete agreement with TerriB. I can’t see any rational reason to pay Comcast about $200 a month and then pay TIVO for services that Comcast should now provide and had been providing. For the same $200 I can easily find another provider that will give me all the features I want. Yes, it’s a pain to switch and I’ll put it off as long as I can, but the time will come when I tire of Comcast’s lack of respect for its customers.
Contributor

I agree with both of you...you should not have to pay more for services elsewhere that you've already had with Comcast but were taken away. In my case, I have had a TiVO long before I had Comcast - I had DirecTV for years, and only got rid of it because I needed Comcast for internet, and without getting cable as part of the "package," the cost would have been prohibitive, so I switched to everything except the TiVO.  I use the Comcast DVR in a summer home...I don't have the X1, just one of their old Motorola boxes. It's a piece of that nasty word, but for the amount of time I'm there, it's not worth upgrading. It used to be nice to be able to program it remotely for when I do go there and I miss that function. I have called them, and gotten about as far as the rest of you have. Most have no clue what's even going on. I just don't see them doing anytrhing about this in the near future, and there is no other alternative cable company in the Boston area (RCN is available only in large buildings).  

New Poster

Wow - am I too believe what I have been reading?  23 pages of stoopid people asking stoopid questions?  The answer was on the very first page of the post - and yet, 23 pages of ramblings that were useless, stoopid, and did not resolve anything.  Apparently, subscribing to xfinity makes peole lose intelligence!  Run and get away as fast as you can before you too become affected by this affliction!

YOU CAN'T RECORD REMOTELY ANYMORE!  PERIOD!  END OF STORY!!  NOT FROM THE WEB PAGE OR ANY APP YOU MAY HAVE BEEN ABLE TO BEFORE.

THANK XFINITY AND TIVO FOR THE LAWSUIT THAT MADE THIS ALL POSSIBLE - AND REMEMBER... NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE CONSUMER!

Regular Contributor

Well, Einstein, you've really sussed that out.

Here's what's going on: people post their question somewhere else, and a moderator moves it to this thread (from several others). If they had seen this thread in the first place, they would've known what's going on and probably not bothered to ask.

Now why don't you head on over to foxnews.com, where they'll tell you where you can pick up your Nobel.

Most Valued Poster

@xgrep wrote:

Well, Einstein, you've really sussed that out.

Here's what's going on: people post their question somewhere else, and a moderator moves it to this thread (from several others). If they had seen this thread in the first place, they would've known what's going on and probably not bothered to ask.

Now why don't you head on over to foxnews.com, where they'll tell you where you can pick up your Nobel.

==

Good for you for trying to explain to this person who obviously has no clue what the purpose of these forums is all about.  I do agree in part that those who do search and  post on the correct thread should read the beginning and then not ask the same question over and over but in general you are spot on.

Most Valued Poster

@Hwolfe wrote:

Wow - am I too believe what I have been reading?  23 pages of stoopid people asking stoopid questions?  The answer was on the very first page of the post - and yet, 23 pages of ramblings that were useless, stoopid, and did not resolve anything.  Apparently, subscribing to xfinity makes peole lose intelligence!  Run and get away as fast as you can before you too become affected by this affliction!

YOU CAN'T RECORD REMOTELY ANYMORE!  PERIOD!  END OF STORY!!  NOT FROM THE WEB PAGE OR ANY APP YOU MAY HAVE BEEN ABLE TO BEFORE.

THANK XFINITY AND TIVO FOR THE LAWSUIT THAT MADE THIS ALL POSSIBLE - AND REMEMBER... NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE CONSUMER!

==

Lets hope you have vented all you care to and never darken  the forum door again. You have no idea how many very  smart although totally frustrated customers there are on the forums and how much good is actually done here. 

Frequent Visitor

I know the whole legal thing. I just don't understand how a company as big as Xfinity/COMCAST can't afford or do what other companies have done and pay licensing to use the tech or develop their own. They charge more & more and offer less & less.