Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

New Poster
New Poster

Streaming TV (unable to set up recording remotely and also can't cancel future scheduled recording)

Subject says it all.  I travel alot and am physically away from my property.  I can watch and delete recorded programs just fine.  I can't set up any new recordings and can't cancel scheduled programs remotely.   This needs to be fixed.  Does any one have a fix to this problem.  

 

New Poster

Re: Streaming TV (unable to set up recording remotely and also can't cancel future scheduled recordi

Customer experience always seems to come last with Comcast.  For what I pay Comcast should be paying for the license and providing what they promised.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Streaming TV (unable to set up recording remotely and also can't cancel future scheduled recordi

Totally agree. That’s like these Comcast commercials pushing 100-150 mps speeds are absolutely irrelevant unless you have a half dozen kids gaming at the same time. For us one app at a time streamers this is totally useless.
New Poster

Re: setting a recording

How to record remotely from my smart phone? There is no recording button on my xfinity remote app
New Poster

DVR

Can I set up DVR remotely?

Valued Contributor

Re: DVR


@Lunds wrote:

Can I set up DVR remotely?


No. Not anymore. Comcast was forced to end this feature by the company that has exclusive rights to it. That is, the company that developed the technology.

New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Please restore this feature.
Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

I suppose from this point forward, I'll always wonder whether or not a legal ruling was the reason a feature suddenly disappears (ref. my post below). 

 

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/iOS-v4-9-0-1068-no-more-option-to-type-in-channel/td-p/3...

New Poster

Xfinity remote app does not allow recording!

VERY troubling as this was plugged by salesperson selling Xfinity.
Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity remote app does not allow recording!


@McRickster wrote:
VERY troubling as this was plugged by salesperson selling Xfinity.

How recently was that? The feature was removed last November.

Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

At this point, my main question is why multiple posts, including mine, keep disappearing? None of the posts, mine, other folks, even rustyben’s posts have been erased. There was absolutely no bad language. Just a lot of questions.

It’s one thing to delete bad language posts. It’s quite another to delete ones that have a different opinion than the Comcast corporate one. We are your customers. Treat us like ones.
Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

If you want to discuss this topic on a forum where your posts won’t be deleted, you can find one that’s not owned by the company that’s being criticized. Comcast owns this forum; they can censor what they want. Try Facebook or something else.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Set DVR from mobile device

I agree. DISH & DirecTV both let you do this. The old Xfinity and COMCAST apps used to let you do this. The response that Xfinity "can't" is BULL through and through. PUT THAT FUNCTION BACK IN THE GUIDE IN THE APP. With DishNow & DirecTVNow your competition just amped up.
Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@xgrep wrote:
If you want to discuss this topic on a forum where your posts won’t be deleted, you can find one that’s not owned by the company that’s being criticized. Comcast owns this forum; they can censor what they want. Try Facebook or something else.

That’s called capitulation.  I won’t go silently into the night and give up my rights as a customer.  FB and the others do not communicate directly with Comcast.  This forum does.  There have been many, many posts on this topic and I have yet to see one that supports what Comcast has done.  Sooner or later, they will hopefully realize that there are a lot more subscribers who are upset about what they have done.  At the moment I am hosted on another ISP - Cox - and guess what, they still have the remote features that Comcast took away.  I don’t know how many companies have or do not have the remote record feature, but I’m not aware of any who removed it recently.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

BULL!!!!! Dish & DirectTV allow record/delete functions on their mobile apps. If they can do so legally, why is it explicitly that Xfinity/COMCAST is not allowed. I am asking for direct exact ruling not the vaguerie you offer here. I have searched for said FCC ruling and cannot find it. So post it here and point out where it says other companies including UVERSE are allowed but massive Xfinity can't. Even Other cable companies like Charter and TW and Brighthouse are able to remotely set recordings. Why is big bad Xfinity/Universal not allowed?
Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

So you stole TIVO's patented technology. Shame in you but don't make your subscribers suffer. So do what ALL your competition has done find your own way or pay for the right to use the equipment. Right now, Xfinity is the only company stopping their DVR users from remotely recording programs. FIX IT!! All you others DirecTV now is offering a free week or $10 a month for the first 3 months to try their service WITHOUT having a satellite dish.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Because TIVO sued Xfinity for stealing their patented tech rather than licensing the right to use it. All the $$ they make from us, being bigger than anyhrhing, very godlike in their universe (owning so much like NBC, Universal Sports and so much more) and they won't pay for using someone else's tech; they steal it. Well that is how you get to be so powerful right? 😡
Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Hey ComcastJessie. Most of the time they aren't available or we wouldn't be so ticked off. So you're sitting in the waiting room somewhere and are watching something on their TV and you get called in before you see the end of it. That's when you want to record, so you can catch the end. And those programs are almost never on the on-demand menu. And On demand is offering less and less in the way of programming without having to pay for it.
Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Then Comcast should simply pay them for the right instead of inconveniencing their customers.

Regular Contributor

Re: Record feature nor working from the guide

No. Front line support is almost never informed of what is going on so that they can give informed and correct answers. Like the support person a few up that posted they want to help. They can blame it on litigation if they want to, but they chose this route. AT&T UVerse chose to pay the fines and so you can still use the features we have come to rely on. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Record feature nor working from the guide

Speaking of relying on this feature, if you think about it, it's more than a simple convenience, it's one of the main reasons to bother installing the app at all (possibly the only reason for many people).

Regular Contributor

Re: DVR


@studolgon wrote:

@Lunds wrote:

Can I set up DVR remotely?


No. Not anymore. Comcast was forced to end this feature by the company that has exclusive rights to it. That is, the company that developed the technology.


No, they were forced to end this feature or pay a fee. They opted to let the customer suffer instead

Regular Contributor

Re: DVR

I'd expect that from Comcast .  Local store manager didn't have a clue about the web "upgrades" that downgraded usability and the broken navigation.

Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@orfartenbuehl wrote:

@xgrep wrote:
If you want to discuss this topic on a forum where your posts won’t be deleted, you can find one that’s not owned by the company that’s being criticized. Comcast owns this forum; they can censor what they want. Try Facebook or something else.

That’s called capitulation.  I won’t go silently into the night and give up my rights as a customer.  FB and the others do not communicate directly with Comcast.  This forum does.  There have been many, many posts on this topic and I have yet to see one that supports what Comcast has done.  Sooner or later, they will hopefully realize that there are a lot more subscribers who are upset about what they have done.  At the moment I am hosted on another ISP - Cox - and guess what, they still have the remote features that Comcast took away.  I don’t know how many companies have or do not have the remote record feature, but I’m not aware of any who removed it recently.


I didn't say you shouldn't post here, only that Comcast is free to delete anything you write. And they're free to ignore all of us (which they are doing a pretty good job of). Censorship by Comcast won't likely happen on FB. Posting on FB also has the effect that people who are potential Comcast customers will be warned and may choose a competitor. Pretty much everyone here is already a Comcast customer, so there's not as much on this forum to persuade them to do anything about it. I think they already have a pretty good idea how many people are likely to defect, and it's not many.

 

Nobody here is happy about it. A few people are leaving. They know they've ticked people off. They can buy Comcast stock and Sky, and increase executive bonuses, with money they don't send to TiVo. If you think that's not going on, please share what you're smoking.

Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

All major corporations operate in the same way Comcast does, I have absolutely no doubt that the compensation packages for senior management come before anything else. Many companies, however, make customer satisfaction and retention a part of senior management evaluations. And everyone, no matter how high they are in a company, answers to another person or group of people. Maybe they will pay attention to us, maybe not. I’ll probably switch to FIOS as it’s my only other choice and they already installed a central hub in my house. I need to empty my DVR first 😁. If nothing changes in the next few months, I’ll move over. BTW, I don’t participate in FB.
Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@orfartenbuehl wrote:
[...]
I’ll probably switch to FIOS as it’s my only other choice and they already installed a central hub in my house. I need to empty my DVR first 😁. If nothing changes in the next few months, I’ll move over. BTW, I don’t participate in FB.

Nor do I :-). But some of the participants on this forum probably do. They can use that as leverage to affect Comcast's calculation on this matter. Perhaps their strategy will change as a result.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@orfartenbuehl wrote:
At this point, my main question is why multiple posts, including mine, keep disappearing? None of the posts, mine, other folks, even rustyben’s posts have been erased. There was absolutely no bad language. Just a lot of questions.

It’s one thing to delete bad language posts. It’s quite another to delete ones that have a different opinion than the Comcast corporate one. We are your customers. Treat us like ones.

=====

 

When I saw that 'one of their own' annointed experts....Rustyben had his post zapped I knew we were truly in the 7th circle of Censorship. I just don't understand why we can't voice opinions (no bad language) about how we are treated by Comcast  without having posts deleted more and more. The monthly bill for our services is not chump change. Remote recording,etc was used as a selling tactic....bait and switch?


Most Valued Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@xgrep wrote:

@orfartenbuehl wrote:
[...]
I’ll probably switch to FIOS as it’s my only other choice and they already installed a central hub in my house. I need to empty my DVR first 😁. If nothing changes in the next few months, I’ll move over. BTW, I don’t participate in FB.

Nor do I :-). But some of the participants on this forum probably do. They can use that as leverage to affect Comcast's calculation on this matter. Perhaps their strategy will change as a result.

===

Hate to tell you but posting to FB about this Comcast issue does absolutely nothing. 

 


Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@TerriB wrote:

@xgrep

Hate to tell you but posting to FB about this Comcast issue does absolutely nothing.



If you mean that it won't cause Comcast to reverse their decision based on customer complaints, I'm sure you're right, but that's not what I meant. If enough people who might be considering subscribing to Comcast saw that the technology has regressed ten years compared to competitors, they might choose a different company. It's the loss of new business (i.e., sales forecasts too high, revenue below expectations, stock price drops) that might make them think, make them try to figure out what went wrong. When sales come in below projections, CEO bonuses shrink and heads roll. We've seen it happen at more than one huge company.

 

Nothing on this forum can improve customers' leverage - it's a customer echo chamber. Outside is another story.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@xgrep wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@xgrep

Hate to tell you but posting to FB about this Comcast issue does absolutely nothing.



If you mean that it won't cause Comcast to reverse their decision based on customer complaints, I'm sure you're right, but that's not what I meant. If enough people who might be considering subscribing to Comcast saw that the technology has regressed ten years compared to competitors, they might choose a different company. It's the loss of new business (i.e., sales forecasts too high, revenue below expectations, stock price drops) that might make them think, make them try to figure out what went wrong. When sales come in below projections, CEO bonuses shrink and heads roll. We've seen it happen at more than one huge company.

 

Nothing on this forum can improve customers' leverage - it's a customer echo chamber. Outside is another story.


==

I understand where you are coming from but there is not really a 'discussion' area on their Facebook page like on other pages so you can't share with other customers. You comment on the  stuff they post and  can send a comment/question but its not going to show up in the page ' content'.  I have never seen any discussion about any feature on there. I did just see a comment posted . The person said "hows about lowering the bill" and the reply was to send them a private message. I don't think they want to show  'back and forth' about grievances where the public can see them.

 

 

Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@TerriB wrote:

@xgrep I understand where you are coming from but there is not really a 'discussion' area on their Facebook page like on other pages so you can't share with other customers. You comment on the  stuff they post and  can send a comment/question but its not going to show up in the page ' content'.  I have never seen any discussion about any feature on there. I did just see a comment posted . The person said "hows about lowering the bill" and the reply was to send them a private message. I don't think they want to show  'back and forth' about grievances where the public can see them.

You're right about FB itself not providing anything like an actual discussion forum. Somebody would have to set one up on FB or Yahoo Groups or similar (there may already be one, haven't looked), and there's some risk involved in that.

 

However, there's already a Comcast Xfinity forum on dslreports.com that anyone can join for free. Naturally, moderators can delete posts they feel violate their rules, which might include any that might expose them to a libel suit by Comcast. There's at least one topic that deals with the topic being discussed here:

 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31714087-X1-TiVo-wins-patent-suit-against-some-X1-boxes-and-feature...

 

It hasn't gotten nearly the participation of this forum, but it's a place to consider posting. How much good that will do is hard to judge, because dslreports isn't a major online presence like FB and Yahoo.

 

My point is this: as a Comcast customer, you have few options in this matter. The only ones that could have any impact are (1) switch to a competitor (not many will) and (2) warn prospective customers (takes a bit of effort to find a place to do that). Posting here has some value, but, as we all know, not much. It's fine for venting frustration, and that's not worthless. And it's fine for sharing workarounds (there aren't many).

Most Valued Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@xgrep wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@xgrep I understand where you are coming from but there is not really a 'discussion' area on their Facebook page like on other pages so you can't share with other customers. You comment on the  stuff they post and  can send a comment/question but its not going to show up in the page ' content'.  I have never seen any discussion about any feature on there. I did just see a comment posted . The person said "hows about lowering the bill" and the reply was to send them a private message. I don't think they want to show  'back and forth' about grievances where the public can see them.

You're right about FB itself not providing anything like an actual discussion forum. Somebody would have to set one up on FB or Yahoo Groups or similar (there may already be one, haven't looked), and there's some risk involved in that.

 

However, there's already a Comcast Xfinity forum on dslreports.com that anyone can join for free. Naturally, moderators can delete posts they feel violate their rules, which might include any that might expose them to a libel suit by Comcast. There's at least one topic that deals with the topic being discussed here:

 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31714087-X1-TiVo-wins-patent-suit-against-some-X1-boxes-and-feature...

 

It hasn't gotten nearly the participation of this forum, but it's a place to consider posting. How much good that will do is hard to judge, because dslreports isn't a major online presence like FB and Yahoo.

 

My point is this: as a Comcast customer, you have few options in this matter. The only ones that could have any impact are (1) switch to a competitor (not many will) and (2) warn prospective customers (takes a bit of effort to find a place to do that). Posting here has some value, but, as we all know, not much. It's fine for venting frustration, and that's not worthless. And it's fine for sharing workarounds (there aren't many).


==

Reddit also has discussions about Comcast. Some of the permanently banned Comcast forum users who are technical experts are on DSLreports.

New Poster

Re: Recording remotely

One more reason to look at cable cutting options.... I just missed recording something that was quite important to me...

New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Extremely upset that I can no longer schedule or record programs from my Xfinity remote app. Even more upset when I found out the reason that Comcast is not paying to get the subscription that they needed to provide this service for us. The only reason I stayed with Comcast is because I loved the Xfinity app. So very important to me to be able to record when I’m away from home, because I’m away from home a lot. All the years and all the money I’ve given to comcast, I feel this is a slap in the face to the good paying customers. Thinking about getting another service!!
Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Tell all your friends. Post it on your Facebook page. Tweet it. Maybe Comcast will change their mind.

Highlighted
New Poster

how do i set up recording of tv program from work computer

how do i set up recording of tv program on home dvr from my work computer. Once I get to the tv listings they used to have an option to record the program I cannot find that now.

New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Probably would have been nice for you to actually communicate this to your customers.  It's a fucntionality that you have sold as part of the package, now it's not being offered, and was removed under the cover of night.  I'm assuming you are giving us a reduction in price since those of us who travel are now stuck in long contracts with you without any remote functionality to record anything?  This may not be a big deal for many, but it's a deal breaker for those of us who use the full remote functionality frequently - especially for sports that aren't typical ondemand offerings.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app


@mnotae wrote:

Probably would have been nice for you to actually communicate this to your customers.  It's a fucntionality that you have sold as part of the package, now it's not being offered, and was removed under the cover of night.  I'm assuming you are giving us a reduction in price since those of us who travel are now stuck in long contracts with you without any remote functionality to record anything?  This may not be a big deal for many, but it's a deal breaker for those of us who use the full remote functionality frequently - especially for sports that aren't typical ondemand offerings.

---

I think it IS a big deal for many many many. More and more new forum members are joining the outcry and goodness knows how many others are calling about it. The snowball affect is amazing. I don't travel much any longer as I am retired but I can tell you I spent what seemed like half my life in airports and hotels and would have worn that app out.  We did use it a lot when on two week vacations and it was a blessing. It was such a great feature selling point for Comcast and they seem to be adamant in refusing to pay the piper like other providers did. I am 99.9% sure you are not going to see any reduction in price. Most people have very limited choices as to a provider and Comcast is well aware . 

 

As for On Demand....much of it is now fee based (mostly requiring Netflix) and very limited as to how many programs in a series are available. Should have seen the handwriting on the wall when On Demand got less and less useful. 


New Poster

how to program dvr from desktop

how to program dvr from desktop

Valued Contributor

Re: how to program dvr from desktop

You can expect the remote record feature to return a week after they re-instate the reverse slow motion and frame by frame advance.

 

Smiley Happy

Most Valued Poster

Re: how to program dvr from desktop


@LeeSoFL wrote:

You can expect the remote record feature to return a week after they re-instate the reverse slow motion and frame by frame advance.

 

Smiley Happy


==

 

Are we turning blue yet?

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

well the xfinity remote app is worthless then without the record feature
Regular Contributor

Re: how to program dvr from desktop


@LeeSoFL wrote:

You can expect the remote record feature to return a week after they re-instate the reverse slow motion and frame by frame advance.

 

Smiley Happy


... and buffer recording

New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

That is too bad. Being able to set a recording on my DVR is the only reason I downloaded the remote app onto my cell phone & ipad. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

It is time for Comcast to go beyond "forseeable future" and "we apologize." Comcast already has a lousy reputation for customer service and this may be the straw that breaks the camer's back in terms of people bailing. Also, it is not at all clear that you had to shut down this service but you obviously don't care about the customer experience.

New Poster

Remote app

Why doesn’t the Comcast remote allow me to record shows.  When I am away from home I use to hit record on that app to record my shows now it is gone why.

New Poster

Stream App - no more recording??

I used to be able to set recordings via the stream app, but it is no longer an available function/option.

I have updated the App, and still not an option to set recording.

Is there another way to remotely set a recording when I'm away fro home?
Frequent Visitor

Re: Recording from my app

I have the same problem.  

Official Employee

Re: Recording from my app

All,

Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. We apologize for the inconvenience, we are actively pursuing an appeal of the ruling.

If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it's available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize again for the inconvenience.