Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

Regular Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

What will you bail to? Just curious. Sattelite has issues, depending on where you live, and most areas can't get Uverse.

Expert

wrote:

LOL...of course scamcast could have just paid the licensing fees so that we could continue make use of the only useful feature of the app, but we all know thats not happening!!  They'll prob try to raise rates soon again too!  Cant wait till 2 years is up and I can bail on these scam artists.

the 'patent' is an abstract that patents the idea not a device or s set of computer instructions. that is why the appeal. The entire software on the X1 set top boxes is written in-house by Comcast engineers and is not using anything from Rovi/TiVo. Would you pay someone to use the idea of walking up to your car and pressing a remote to open the door of the car that you own because someone claims the idea of doing that is 'patented'? I am glad they are fighting it and note it was an end-run around the patent office in that Rovi went to an import court. Must be a really weak patent case. (all that is my opinion not Comcast's of course). 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Having just inherited a patent, what I have learned is that you cannot patent a completely abstract idea. Our patent is for a method doing something. While, you can write the patent to be vague, it seems like there still has to be a process involved that involves a level of detail.

That said, they should fight it. Tivo did not invent this technology. ReplayTV was doing it first (remote DVR programming from a website, at least. An app is just an extension of that). Rovi is using the patent to either a) just get money or b) put competition out of business. 

Regular Contributor

I just discovered another feature that’s been eliminated that adds insult to injury.  I am currently traveling for a few weeks and I scheduled quite a few recordings from home so I could view them while I was away.  I know we can no longer set recordings when we are away from home.  What I did not know, and haven’t seen mentioned on this forum, is that we can no longer delete scheduled recordings before they occur.  This is especially important for series shows where repeat episodes are occasionally not labeled as repeats and pop up in my future recordings list.  Before the current fiasco with Xfinity occurred, it was very simple to just cancel the future unwanted recordings.  Not anymore.  Now I have to wait until the shows are recorded and then delete them, which can take up valuable space on my allowed 60 hours of recorded show viewing from my X1 DVR.  This would not be a problem if Xfinity lived up to their original promise that we would be able to remotely view all content on our X1 DVRs, but they never did.

So now we can neither schedule new recordings or delete previously scheduled shows remotely.  I’ve seen some folks ask what alternatives we have.  It depends on where you live.  There are alternatives.  Some may require creativity to get what you want.  Others may cost more.  But at least you will get what you pay for, not empty promises and excuses.

this gets more ludicrous with each passing day.  Cox, which is not available where I live, does not seem to have an issue with their remorse recording apps, neither do several other companies.  Only Xfinity seems to be unable to get their lawyers to either counter sue, obtain an injunction or have their engineers come up with an alternative.  Or offer their customers compensation for fewer features than they pay for.  And they still have not informed subscribers of the current problems.  This is not the wY to run a responsible business.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

wrote:
So now we can neither schedule new recordings or delete previously scheduled shows remotely.

Nor, via the Stream app, can you delete (or cancel) a program that's currently in the process of being recorded, unless I'm mistaken.  Regardless of length, you must wait until recording has finished before you're allowed to delete.  Just noticed the behavior this morning.

New Poster

how to set a recording thru the online browser

I find no option anymore to set a series recording of a show thru the streaming app in Chrome on my PC...

I know I used to be able to but, cannot seem to find that option anymore...

Any ideas as to how to fix this or if it even can be?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: how to set a recording thru the online browser

wrote:

I find no option anymore to set a series recording of a show thru the streaming app in Chrome on my PC...

I know I used to be able to but, cannot seem to find that option anymore...

Any ideas as to how to fix this or if it even can be?

Function has been removed due patent trouble

New Poster

Re: how to set a recording thru the online browser

This is a real negative from what they used to have.  It would be great if they could find a new way to do this.

New Poster

Re: Recording remotely

What is the statutory regulation that prevents recording shows from the app on my iPhone? I have done this many, many times in the past. When did this happen?
New Poster

Pay TiVo the licensing they deserve and give us the feature back! You make plenty of money!

Expert

Re: Recording remotely

wrote:
What is the statutory regulation that prevents recording shows from the app on my iPhone? I have done this many, many times in the past. When did this happen?

go to the first page of this thread, the first post. It has the best answer attached from Comcast.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Re: Still Can't set recordings from stream app

I relied on the application to record programs like sports when I forgot to set the tv prior to being out for the day.  Now I see something is on that evening and I can no longer remotely set the DVR to record.  This is an important feature to me and will cause me to change providers.

New Poster

Re: I can no longer record shows remotely

Well looks like I’m going back to Directv as soon as possible. This is an extremely convenient feature. I used it all the time. The app is useless without it. That plus there’s no 4k HDR available. Don’t even say the Comcast streaming app. You know that’s a joke. I can’t even get a wireless cable box without being a new customer. Great job mega cable company!
New Poster

Re: setting a recording

No response?

Most Valued Poster

wrote:
Well looks like I’m going back to Directv as soon as possible. This is an extremely convenient feature. I used it all the time. The app is useless without it. That plus there’s no 4k HDR available. Don’t even say the Comcast streaming app. You know that’s a joke. I can’t even get a wireless cable box without being a new customer. Great job mega cable company!

Never heard of a wireless cable box.

Regular Visitor

Verizon Fios let's you record from your mobile device.

I have been loyal to Comcast for almost 12 years now - there's been no discount plan options for me for the last 10 years.  

I've paid full price & I was convinced the X1 platform was worth it! 

But this giant step backwards in service is incredibly dissapointing. 

My family and friends with Fios can still set up recordings remotely, where as I basically need to be home to put a tape in my VCR.

Most Valued Poster

wrote:

Verizon Fios let's you record from your mobile device.

I have been loyal to Comcast for almost 12 years now - there's been no discount plan options for me for the last 10 years.  

I've paid full price & I was convinced the X1 platform was worth it! 

But this giant step backwards in service is incredibly dissapointing. 

My family and friends with Fios can still set up recordings remotely, where as I basically need to be home to put a tape in my VCR.

Seems all providers will allow remote recordings except Comcast. This makes no sense whatsover. If they are in court over this from TIVO then why not Cox and Verizon? Settle the darn thing Comcast....jeeeeez

Frequent Visitor

I'm just curious, do we really know for a fact that Comcast is fighting this ? I mean they stopped paying Tivo (or whoever) to improve their cash flow. So they've improved their bottom line ,and they have our money every month (net profit for them). Why pay the court costs and possibly, eventually paying patent royalties again ?

Regular Contributor

I'm still amazed when I think about this excerpt from the Reuters article that @Customer70 linked on 1/19 ... "Comcast said it would remove the scheduling feature, which only a small percentage of customers used, so it could continue to offer X1 to customers while it appealed the ITC’s ruling."  Comcast honestly feels that only a small percentage of their customers use this feature?  Leadership must not be aware of the level of animosity over this issue.  Have they ever needed to schedule a recording while away from home?  In any case, the idea of changing providers (or cord-cutting) is looking more appealing, which is hard to admit as I've been a loyal customer for an awfully long time (2003).

Regular Contributor

It is about money, of course. Comcast doesn't want to pay the licensing fee.

AT&T is paying it: http://www.multichannel.com/news/distribution/att-tivo-extend-licensing-agreement/415547

And this affects other cable companies that license X1 from Comcast: https://www.fiercecable.com/cable/comcast-loses-patent-battle-against-tivo-can-t-import-or-sell-x1-s...

I couldn't find anything yet on Spectrum (Times Warner) or DirectTV (but we know DTV gets into licensing fights all of the time as they are always losing channel contracts).

Regular Contributor

A question for Comcast - the lawsuit is only for the X1 platform. Doesn't Comcast still have a way to set a recording to one of the DVR boxes from the website? Can't people just go back to those boxes again?

Frequent Visitor

wrote:

A question for Comcast - the lawsuit is only for the X1 platform. Doesn't Comcast still have a way to set a recording to one of the DVR boxes from the website? Can't people just go back to those boxes again?

I'm fairly certain the whole PC/phone/etc. functionality was removed from the old boxes. That is certainly what caused me to start complaining and caused me to move to the X1.

Expert

If anyone is bored and has time, google supreme court decision Alice 2014 - it ruled out any patents in software of any kind that are 'procedure' (like take in data, manipulate, ouput data). the point was no patent will be issued for procedures aka "abstract" claims of patentability. I have never heard of a company like Rovi going to import court saying they have a good abstract patent and got a ruling that Comcast is IMO appealing. 

New Poster

It is unacceptable that there wad no notification about the reason of not being able to record program to watch later at all. For those of us who can not watch program “live”, this is absurd. Comcast just let it happen as if nothing has happened. It truly puzzles me. The fault lies in the monopoly!
Expert
Moved:

New Poster

where did the record option go on the xfinity stream tv app?

I use to be able to set shows to record right from my phone or laptop. Now the record option is not anywhere. Where did it go?

Tags (1)
Expert
Moved:

unhelpful, off-topic, duplicates, one has language filter bypass.

New Poster

Re: program dvr from a computer

I do not accept your apologies for this inconvenience.  Just put it back the way it was and all of us will be happy.  Very frustrating that Comcast cannot find an answer as to why we cannot record from an app that was previously able to.  Maybe Xfinity is not all it is cracked up to be.

New Poster

@ComcastJessie - any update on this?  It is really a bummer to lose the remote DVR control for those of us traveling a lot. (

Expert
Moved:

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Still Can't set recordings from stream app

Unfortunately DaveA1946, there is no way to use this feature as it is no longer available. 

That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Programing DVR from remote location

I am going to be away for one week. Can I programe my DVR to record a sports event from a remote computer?   Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Programing DVR from remote location

You used to be able to with X1, but due to a Tivo patent lawsuit, that was taken away. The ability to do that with non-X1 disappeared a few years ago.

Frequent Visitor

Can't set recordings from stream app is just one of the many things that used to be available from X! such as restart, pause during Live, etc.  Verizon customers can do these things so I don't believe the legal excuse

New Poster

Stream record feature

.. no record button remotely from app, only the info button.
Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR recordings not showing on Xfinity TV app

No, You need a new service provider. Comcast has made the business decision to stop licensing Rovi patents and litigate instead. And we their customers are the victims who suffer. I had no plans to leave Comcast, until this...

Regardless the underlying legality of the patent in question, not relicensing it was a boneheaded business decision IMO. Apparently Comcast decided the churn from lost customers will be less then the cost of licensing the patents.

Remotely setting recordings and deleting them was a novelty feature. Very few actually used the feature, it's true. Comcast said so in a press release! Apparently most customers still prefer to sit down in front of their TV and program their DVR with the remote like it's 1998.

Expert

Re: Stream record feature

There is a megathread on this topic here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

New Poster

Home and can’t set the dvr

I’m home and still can’t set the dvr to record from the app on my phone anymore. What the is going on?!?!?!?
Expert

Re: Home and can’t set the dvr

wrote:
I’m home and still can’t set the dvr to record from the app on my phone anymore. What the is going on?!?!?!?

to set a new recording, you will have to use your remote.

New Poster

Re: TV Remote App no longer Records

Per this article losing the ability to record is due to a TiVo patent. https://www.geekwire.com/2017/comcast-subscribers-lose-ability-set-dvr-recordings-via-xfinity-remote...
New Poster

Can DIRECTV record remotely? If so, I’m switching.
Expert
Moved:

New Poster

Re: DVR recordings not showing on Xfinity TV app

This needs resolution. Just pursuing a legal remedy leaves us in a bad way. For those who use this feature it is HUGE losing this option. If you travel or just active and not home being able to record remotely was crucial. 

As as others have said I was generally happy with Comcast....but this is a game changer. Time to save some money, increase features and move on to new options. 

Regular Contributor

Cannot set a recording in TV Remote app

I used to be able to set recordings from the "TV Remote" iOS app on my iPad. Lately, I cannot. There is no longer a Record button anywhere in the app that I can find. What am I missing?

Regular Contributor

Re: Cannot set a recording in TV Remote app

Never mind, I found the answer. What a botch.

New Poster

If it’s a legal issue...then how is DirecTv able to get around it? You should go talk to them to figure it out.
Regular Visitor

I was out of town recently due to a death in the family. I packed up quickly and headed out; I did not have time to set recordings on the DVR. So while I was out of town and could have used some cheering up, I was not able to set any recordings for favorite shows like I used to with my app. I can't believe Xfinity thought it was a good idea to take this vital feature away from its customers with no announcement by email or anything. That's just poor customer service. 

New Poster

App

I used to go to live tv on my iPad & record upcoming shows. That record option is gone? 

New Poster

Manage my DVR

why can't I manage my dvr and recordings remotely from my computer anymore?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Manage my DVR

wrote:

why can't I manage my dvr and recordings remotely from my computer anymore?

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/m-p/3006430#M10834: