Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

New Poster

recording button in guide missing from app and browser page

I can no longer set up a recording remotely.  The button in the guide for TV is missing when I select a show.  Only the watch button and info button are there.

Tags (3)
New Poster

Re: TV Remote App no longer Records

I am have the same problem I think.  I also set my recordings via the Xfinity TV guide online.  One morning about 2 months ago...POOF the RECORD button was gone.  I havent been able to use that method since,  Please consider putting it back.  By the way I've tried for the last two months to find someone who would talk to me.  Unable to do...except from the foreign people who I can't understand...and are rarely of only help.

@Rustyben wrote:

@bheathfl wrote:

When I was not at home I used to be able to use the TV Remote app to record a program in my absence.  The new version of the app no longer has a Record function only a Watch function. Any advice on how to Record remotely?

did you log out and log back in to the app yet?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: smart phone not so smart

@Streeterville wrote:

Why can't I schedule or delete a TV recording from my smart phone?

Why can't I set or delete the priority of a show that is scheduled to be recoreded from my smart phone?

See employee ComcastJessie's reply in http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/m-p/3006430#M10834:

... Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. ...
New Poster

Well since Comcast has been compelled to unilaterally take away one of the benefits we all contacted for, and is now suggesting we utilize On Demand as an alternative - I suggest we be given access to commercial free On Demand until such time as the service we contracted for is returned.

Regular Contributor

@ceceandbay wrote:

Well since Comcast has been compelled to unilaterally take away one of the benefits we all contacted for, and is now suggesting we utilize On Demand as an alternative - I suggest we be given access to commercial free On Demand until such time as the service we contracted for is returned.

Sounds very fair and reasonable.  

Regular Visitor

Thank you for the quick response.

Can you elaborate on what the legal ruling is?

Most Valued Poster

@ceceandbay wrote:

====

Nice idea but I sincerely doubt we will ever see commercial free On Demand. I would be happy with free On Demand for previously aired shows like it used to be rather than having to join Netflix to view non Netflix shows or having to pay for each episode.

Regular Contributor

That would be great.  But, as we all know, that would never happen.  Xfinity is like the mob.  Once they get your money, they never let go.

Regular Contributor

Nice idea but I sincerely doubt we will ever see commercial free On Demand. I would be happy with free On Demand for previously aired shows like it used to be rather than having to join Netflix to view non Netflix shows or having to pay for each episode.

Wait, are you saying that for people on X1, you have to subscribe to Netflix in order to watch all of the On Demand that I can still access for free with my non-X1 boxes?

Most Valued Poster

@sbwinter2 wrote:

Wait, are you saying that for people on XI, you have to subscribe to Netflix in order to watch all of the On Demand that I can still access for free with my non-X1 boxes?

====

After Netflix was offered many many On Demand programs can only be viewed using Netflix and if you don't subscribe you are out of luck. The programs showing Netflix on the On Demand window are either regular network or cable network shows. Its absolutely insane..what does Netflix have to do with network shows? I didn't know you could access FREE On Demand from non X1 boxes...OMG.....talk about discrimination.

Regular Contributor

After Netflix was offered many many On Demand programs can only be viewed using Netflix and if you don't subscribe you are out of luck. The programs showing Netflix on the On Demand window are either regular network or cable network shows. Its absolutely insane..what does Netflix have to do with network shows? I didn't know you could access FREE On Demand from non X1 boxes...OMG.....talk about discrimination.

Well, now  I understand a little more about what you are dealing with. This is yet another reason that I will not move to X1. Why don't you go back to the regular HD cable boxes? The OnD library is large (not the old stuff that I refereed to before, but the recent/current shows). I do have a Netflx account, but Comcast doesn't know it since I don't have X1.

Most Valued Poster

@sbwinter2 wrote:

Well, now  I understand a little more about what you are dealing with. This is yet another reason that I will not move to X1. Why don't you go back to the regular HD cable boxes? The OnD library is large (not the old stuff that I refereed to before, but the recent/current shows). I do have a Netflx account, but Comcast doesn't know it since I don't have X1.

We are overall very happy with X1. If you went to X1 you would be all set for On Demand since you have Netflix acct. May I ask why you don't want X1?

Expert
Moved:

Re: Scheduling a recording using Xfinity TV Remote or Stream TV app

Regular Contributor

We are overall very happy with X1. If you went to X1 you would be all set for On Demand since you have Netflix acct. May I ask why you don't want X1?

It had horrible reviews in the beginning, so didn't even want to go there. Recently, I have learned that you can only have one Favorites list (I use three). I have used it a little at friends' and do not like the interface. It is much less user-friendly than the older menus I use. I don't care about voice control (my step-dad invented the first computer application to ever use voice, so I am over it).

The biggest reason is that I prefer my ReplayTV DVRs to any other DVRs out there (even with them only being SD). They have always been superior to TIVO and the Comcast DVRs in terms of buffering space,  networked communication, and ability to download. Since you cannot have mixed systems of old boxes and X1, there has never been a way for me to continue to use my RTVs and have X1.

New Poster

scheduling a recording from a remote location

How do I schedule a recording from a remote location.  I use to be able to do this before the x1 platform.  In fact I could set a recording from my phone if I was running late and didn't want to miss the beginning of a game.

Regular Visitor

Can No Longer Program my DVR Over the Internet Due to Litigation With TIVO

I was sold a two year contract with XFINITY under the guise I would be able to use the XFNITY Streaming Portal to view and record programming.  Three days ago suddenly my watch and record buttons disappeared without warning or explanation.  After two calls to technical support I have learned there is some sort of legal issue with TIVO and this functionality has been intentionally removed from customers use.

Expert

Re: Can No Longer Program my DVR Over the Internet Due to Litigation With TIVO

@Customer70 wrote:

I was sold a two year contract with XFINITY under the guise I would be able to use the XFNITY Streaming Portal to view and record programming.  Three days ago suddenly my watch and record buttons disappeared without warning or explanation.  After two calls to technical support I have learned there is some sort of legal issue with TIVO and this functionality has been intentionally removed from customers use.

hi, I moved your post to the mega-thread on this topic. see page one, the first post which has Comcast's best answer about this issue.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

This is unacceptable.  One of your key features, to set recordings when away from home, has been pulled.  I do not care about your recent flurry of promos for increased hot-spots or miniscule internet speed increases.  This is just a smoke screen to cover for your removing what used to be one of the main reasons to pay for comcast.  Customers should be COMPENSATED (pronounced "refunded") for this reduction in service and capability.  Personally I believe $20-40/month discount would be reasonable.

Anyone else?  Any other ideas?

Regular Visitor

Missing Record/DVR Programming Functionality - Wish to Cancel My Service Agreement

I agreed to a two year service triple play agreement for phone, TV and internet  under the guise I would be able to program and record to my DVR content from any internet connection using the streaming portal.  Due to the recent legal decision forcing Comcast (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tivo-comcast-lawsuit/tivo-hits-comcast-with-new-round-of-patent-l...) to remove this functionality I no longer wish to be a paying subscriber until you can provide the service I agreed to pay for.  Loss of that functionality for me a is a deal breaker. As inconvenient as I will find it to change my equipment, cable TV, phone service and internet service I am forced to make that decision due to the failure to provide the single most important feature I agreed to pay for.

The technical support folks are not at all helpful with that process, can you please advise me what number I need to call to accomplish that without penalty based on your changing the service I was paying for during the term of my agreement without my consent?  Your website still today promises X1 customers will be able to manage their DVR's anytime anywhere.  Now Comcast has changed the service so I am only able to program my DVR seated in front of a TV inside my home ane not over the internet, even from a laptop in my own home.

Regular Visitor

In my opinion, this is a HUGE loss of value. I have constantly used this feature and the whole system feels crippled w/o it. I do use the browser access when I'm streaming from my DVR while away, but even with that I can't select a program to record. Might as well delete the iPhone apps - they no longer do anything of value.

Comcast needs to resolve this legal problem asap.

New Poster

Re: set recording remotely

this no longer works.

New Poster

Set recording from iPad to Home DVR

I’m out of town and want to set up a program to tape on my DVR while gone. Can’t seem to figure it out.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Missing Record/DVR Programming Functionality - Wish to Cancel My Service Agreement

@Customer70 wrote:

I agreed to a two year service triple play agreement for phone, TV and internet  under the guise I would be able to program and record to my DVR content from any internet connection using the streaming portal.  Due to the recent legal decision forcing Comcast (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tivo-comcast-lawsuit/tivo-hits-comcast-with-new-round-of-patent-l...) to remove this functionality I no longer wish to be a paying subscriber until you can provide the service I agreed to pay for.  Loss of that functionality for me a is a deal breaker. As inconvenient as I will find it to change my equipment, cable TV, phone service and internet service I am forced to make that decision due to the failure to provide the single most important feature I agreed to pay for.

The technical support folks are not at all helpful with that process, can you please advise me what number I need to call to accomplish that without penalty based on your changing the service I was paying for during the term of my agreement without my consent?  Your website still today promises X1 customers will be able to manage their DVR's anytime anywhere.  Now Comcast has changed the service so I am only able to program my DVR seated in front of a TV inside my home ane not over the internet, even from a laptop in my own home.

I just read the Reuters article that you linked in your post.  In it was the following paragraph:  "Comcast said it would remove the scheduling feature, which only a small percentage of customers used, so it could continue to offer X1 to customers while it appealed the ITC’s ruling."

I assume "the scheduling feature" refers to the ability to Record from within the app or online.  Does Comcast seriously think that only a small percentage of customers use it?!  The very reason this has become a mega thread is because so many customers apparently DO use it.

Regular Contributor

Re: Missing Record/DVR Programming Functionality - Wish to Cancel My Service Agreement

The Reuters article answers a LOT of questions:

"Tivo subsidiary Rovi Corp sued Comcast in federal court in Texas and at the ITC in April 2016 after the cable operator declined to renew a long-standing agreement to license the company’s patents. That deal, reached 13 years ago and valued at $250 million, expired in March 2016, according to a Tivo court filing. ...JPMorgan analyst Sterling Auty said in a November research note that the ruling could prompt Comcast to resolve the lawsuits through a new licensing agreement."

So what it comes down to is money.  Comcast had been paying royalty's and could continue doing so.  But it stopped in 2016 and TIVO sued.  It doesn't matter that many customers liked and used the remote recording feature.  Comcast just didn't want to pay for the license after doing so for 13 years.  So now we know the truth.  Raise rates every year and drop a popular feature to save a few more dollars so they can make more profit.

I have never had a contract with Comcast - because I never trusted them to do the right thing and I wanted the flexibility to dump them if they got too greedy.  Never sign a contract with thieves - it doesn't end well. 

New Poster

Cool update, I’m very glad I just wasted a bunch of time in the app trying to set a recording which I could always do previously. Classically wonderful customer service from Comcast, never notifying customers about anything. Keep it up guys, not going to last much longer, the people are getting smarter...
New Poster

Re: remote set of recording

One of the primary uses I had for Xfinity was the ability to remotely set a recording.  If I could not make it home in time, I would just set a recording of the program I wanted to view.  

Is xfinity going to fix this problem or are users merely to accept that you list a law suit.  Please explain and also explain what the lawsuit was about.

New Poster

Recording programs

Why is it no longer possible to set a recording for programs from computer or app?

Frequent Visitor

And you can bet what Comcast was paying to license the use of those patents from Tivo was factored into what we pay every month. I'm still waiting for my check from Comcast to compensate for the lost functionality !

Regular Visitor

Are you kidding me? That is ridiculous! Comcast - do what you have to do. It’s 2018 and I can’t record something remotely?!?!?!

Another step closer to me pulling the plug on you. Already researching Hulu, Vue and YouTubeTV to see if it’s possible.
Regular Visitor

Re: program dvr from a computer

There is no record option, on any Xfinity phone app, anywhere. I looked for a long time and found out they removed the functionality. Such BASIC functionality...
New Poster

Re: Record function on Xfinity DVR is disabled for remote devices i.e. PC

Yes, I’m mad that we can’t record from the ap now. It was such a great feature when away from home!

Expert

Re: set recording remotely

@smith-lucy wrote:

this no longer works.

hi, I moved your post to this mega-thread. see the first page first post for the best answer to your question.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Your post has been removed to a secure, hidden area for violating Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with the Guidelines you may review them here. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

New Poster

I do not have a settop box. So effectively Comcast has reduced my service to live web TV and On Demand. Not everything is On Demand. Seems like a good time to cancel my online TV service.
Most Valued Poster

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

The Reuters article answers a LOT of questions:

"Tivo subsidiary Rovi Corp sued Comcast in federal court in Texas and at the ITC in April 2016 after the cable operator declined to renew a long-standing agreement to license the company’s patents. That deal, reached 13 years ago and valued at $250 million, expired in March 2016, according to a Tivo court filing. ...JPMorgan analyst Sterling Auty said in a November research note that the ruling could prompt Comcast to resolve the lawsuits through a new licensing agreement."

So what it comes down to is money.  Comcast had been paying royalty's and could continue doing so.  But it stopped in 2016 and TIVO sued.  It doesn't matter that many customers liked and used the remote recording feature.  Comcast just didn't want to pay for the license after doing so for 13 years.  So now we know the truth.  Raise rates every year and drop a popular feature to save a few more dollars so they can make more profit.

I have never had a contract with Comcast - because I never trusted them to do the right thing and I wanted the flexibility to dump them if they got too greedy.  Never sign a contract with thieves - it doesn't end well. 

======

Thanks so much for posting that. I am going to copy/paste that and put in my Comcast email folder.

Contributor

1) It sure would have been nice for Comcast to notify their customers who pay for X1 service rather than expecting them to discover this on the forums or news media. Why wasn't this information sent as an email?

2) I never tried nor want to set a recording from a mobile device. I do like to set it through my deskop computer which is far from a mobile or remote device It is connected via cable the same way my TV is and sits in my home. Well over 2 years ago Comcast allowed me to set recordings on my DVR via my desktop computer. That functionality was removed abou 2 years ago and I was forced to get X1 if I wanted that functionality back. Now that functionality has been removed. The ability to manage series priority was removed from the desktop computers 2 years ago as well. That feature  didn't even have anything to do with setting a recording - just arranging and viewing them.

3) So, what's the advantage of X1 at this point? To watch on demand with a gazillion ads? I used to be able to do that on my desktop computer without X1. I guess the advantage is only for folks who watch on mobile devices and for folks how want to watch the measily 20hours of cloud recordings.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: programming

That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Set recording on iPad ap

Howto record program on ipad

Official Employee

Re: scheduling a recording from a remote location

Hello @shwyu. Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Set recording from iPad to Home DVR

That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
New Poster

Recording from device remote app

I used to be able to record from my tv listings I brought up on the remote app for ipad. Was that discontinued?

New Poster

Recording from my app

I am unable to record tv shows from my phone and I was previously able to. It is a major reason why I kept my comcast even though I don’t even live full time in an area with Comcast anymore. I’m more than a little upset because I pay an outrageous amount of money just to be able to watch a few shows as I travel a lot. What is going on?
Official Employee

Re: Recording from my app

Hi Jjewellatl,  That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

cannot set recordings from xfinity apps

All Comcast Xfinity Customers should complain about inability to set recordings from ios, android, and website apps.  This feature was removed by comcast late last year with no warning or explanation to its customers.  This feature was highly touted as a selling point by Comcast.  If you do not complain, management has no pressure to reinstitute.  Please use your voice to let Comcast know you care about these features.  Thanks.

New Poster

Set a program to record using phone

So I read that a legal ruling forced comcast to remove the reccord function on the remote app. Is there another app I can add to my i-phone to remotely record a tv program? Thanks

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Recording from device remote app

Hello, 

Tags (1)
New Poster

Still Can't set recordings from stream app

As noted in previous messages, we no longer can set programs to record using stream app or web due to legal problems.

The workaround suggested by Comcast is to use 'On Demand'

I have 2 problems with that.

80% of what I record are sports programs such as Soccer and NFL.   None of these are available OnDemand

Before I left my house to go on a 3 WEEK vacation I tried to preset all the sports programs I could including SuperBowl.  However Xfinity only shows a 2 WEEK GUIDE, meaning there was no way to record the SuperBowl as it was to show 18 days after I left my house.

VERY VERY VERY VERY UNHAPPY !!!!! 

New Poster

Mobile app TV remote

I’m unable to set a recording from my mobile app, has that feature been removed?
Expert

Re: Mobile app TV remote

wrote:
I’m unable to set a recording from my mobile app, has that feature been removed?

hi, I moved your post to this 'mega-thread' for your issue. on the first page first post is the answer from Comcast.

New Poster

LOL...of course scamcast could have just paid the licensing fees so that we could continue make use of the only useful feature of the app, but we all know thats not happening!!  They'll prob try to raise rates soon again too!  Cant wait till 2 years is up and I can bail on these scam artists.