Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Is the new voice remote that I received supposed to placate me for loss of the only online feature that I used?  I did not order it and I don't care about a voice activated remote.  Unless it will work away from home.

Regular Contributor

Ok, I have an idea ... hey Comcast, how about throwing us a bone by allowing us to set a program reminder via the app?  Long overdue anyway.  Under the circumstances, it would be especially helpful if the reminder could appear not just on the TV, but also as a Notification on the mobile device used to set the reminder.  This way, at least I can run down to the DVR in the man cave in time to setup a recording (or if I'm away from home, contact someone there to do it for me).  Surely your attorneys wouldn't need to approve this functionality, would they?

Expert

@milehiguy wrote:

Ok, I have an idea ... hey Comcast, how about throwing us a bone by allowing us to set a program reminder via the app?  Long overdue anyway.  Under the circumstances, it would be especially helpful if the reminder could appear not just on the TV, but also as a Notification on the mobile device used to set the reminder.  This way, at least I can run down to the DVR in the man cave in time to setup a recording (or if I'm away from home, contact someone there to do it for me).  Surely your attorneys wouldn't need to approve this functionality, would they?

they just filed suit in the same import office on that patent too (reminders)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@milehiguy wrote:

they just filed suit in the same import office on that patent too (reminders)

As D. Enberg used to say, "Oh my!"  (forum filter won't allow me to use his first name!)

Frequent Visitor

These all seem to be "Look and Feel" patents, which IMHO shouldn't have been accepted to begin with.

Expert

@shelby1254 wrote:

These all seem to be "Look and Feel" patents, which IMHO shouldn't have been accepted to begin with.

I'm no patent atty but I follow SCOTUS decisions. I think Comcast is right and that Tivo is forum shopping by going to an import court. I'm very hopeful on the appeal process determing the import forum is not the correct patent forum.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Most Valued Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app...why does this thread show SOLVED?

@slydoggie wrote:

The reason why we cannot record has been "Solved"... It is because Comcast lost a law suit with Tivo and had to pull the recording capability. For one, I'm glad it said "Solved" in the subject because that quickly pulled me to this forum which had the correct answer rather than surfing around for the real answer.

"Solving" getting it back is a totally different problem. As I see it, Comcast has 2 options... 1) Win an appeal and reinstate the capability or 2) Develop a totally different approach to remote recording which doesn't infringe on the Tivo patent. I fear that either of these approaches could take years... Bummer!!!

===

To me 'solved' mean that the problem/issue/concern has been solved and is no longer a problem. This is not the case with the remote recording issue. If its in court it will not be solved until a ruling is made and Comcast either can or cannot reinstate the feature.

New Poster

If recording  program from the app is not available then maybe Xfinity should reduce the rediculous raise in charges that have been introduced.

Expert
Moved:

New Poster

Loss of the function to remotely record programs

I just realized that I can no longer record programs from my phone (I don't do it frequently, but happy that I had the means to do ti). Thought it was something that I had done. But now, after reading comments from other Verizon users, this ability has been removed. Why? Since there appears to be others beside myself that are "not happy campers" about this, is there a possibility that this function may be reinstalled?

New Poster

How to program DVR on iPhone or iPad - Feature seems to be gone?

I longer can program my DVR from either my iPhone, iPad or PC?

Did something change?

Thanks,

Bryan

New Poster

wow that has to be the dumbest legal ruling I've ever heard of. How can a bunch of moronic lawyers make it really inconvenient for customers. Any updates on this?

Regular Contributor

Regardless of the reason, this changes the website from annoying to completely useless. 

Regular Contributor

Xfinity doesn’t agree.  Their standard response is that you can still use On Demand streaming.  Which is totally untrue as many channels don’t allow free access to already aired shows and others don’t participate in On Demand.  Xfinity will do and say anything to avoid taking any responsibility for this fiasco.  Everyone who who has a problem with this situation should inundate Xfinity high level Management with emails complaining about it.  As long as you are silent, they will get away with not fixing the problem. 

Expert

Re: How to program DVR on iPhone or iPad - Feature seems to be gone?

@bmd120861 wrote:

I longer can program my DVR from either my iPhone, iPad or PC?

Did something change?

Thanks,

Bryan

yes, quite some time ago. at the bottom or top of this page select page one of this thread and the first post on the first page has an accepted answer from Comcast.

New Poster

Re: set recording remotely

I have just been informed in a chat with Comcast that the ability to record remotely has been removed from the app and I  am very upset. This is one of the reasons we got the x1 system. I don't know how to tell Comcast this is a bad decision.

Expert

Re: set recording remotely

@travellingman wrote:

I have just been informed in a chat with Comcast that the ability to record remotely has been removed from the app and I  am very upset. This is one of the reasons we got the x1 system. I don't know how to tell Comcast this is a bad decision.

Hi, I moved your post to the stream app area of the forum. the best Comcast answer appears on page one of this thread in answer to the first post.

New Poster

So whats the point of having the app anymore then???????
Most Valued Poster

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

Xfinity doesn’t agree.  Their standard response is that you can still use On Demand streaming.  Which is totally untrue as many channels don’t allow free access to already aired shows and others don’t participate in On Demand.  Xfinity will do and say anything to avoid taking any responsibility for this fiasco.  Everyone who who has a problem with this situation should inundate Xfinity high level Management with emails complaining about it.  As long as you are silent, they will get away with not fixing the problem. 

====================== 

On Demand went down the drain when Comcast started offering Netflix. Those who don't pay for Netflix lost so much not being able to watch already aired shows .  Most choices became get Netflix or pay per episode....REALLY?  There are very few aired shows we can watch On Demand for free like we used to do. Its just not right. 

I don't  believe any amount of letter/email/forum feedback/complaining will do one iota of good if the past is any example. We have lost so many features and nothing has brought them back so far and its been years for some of them.

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

====================== 

On Demand went down the drain when Comcast started offering Netflix. Those who don't pay for Netflix lost so much not being able to watch already aired shows .  Most choices became get Netflix or pay per episode....REALLY?  There are very few aired shows we can watch On Demand for free like we used to do. Its just not right. 

I don't  believe any amount of letter/email/forum feedback/complaining will do one iota of good if the past is any example. We have lost so many features and nothing has brought them back so far and its been years for some of them.

I agree that we have lost a lot of features.  However, doing nothing is tantamount to endorsing Xfinity’s actions.  If we don’t agree with what’s been done, then we need to let Xfinity known our opinions.  I can’t say whether it will do any good, but there is no point in complaining on this forum if we don’t follow up.  The best thing we can do is vote with our feet, which is my plan if nothing changes.  When I find a good offer from a competitor I will accept it.

Most Valued Poster

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

====================== 

I agree that we have lost a lot of features.  However, doing nothing is tantamount to endorsing Xfinity’s actions.  If we don’t agree with what’s been done, then we need to let Xfinity known our opinions.  I can’t say whether it will do any good, but there is no point in complaining on this forum if we don’t follow up.  The best thing we can do is vote with our feet, which is my plan if nothing changes.  When I find a good offer from a competitor I will accept it.

============

I have writtten and called and nothing happens nor a reply from anyone on feature loss and rationale for same. The only competitors I have are Verizon FIOS (very pricey) and Direct Tv and I want nothing to do with a dish under any circumstances.

Regular Contributor

Agree again on Dish. Not going to happen, Fios is a real possibility, as it’s the only other competitor in our area. Their pricing is roughly the same for the services I have, plus I can keep my home phone number at a lower price as it can’t be ported to Xfinity. It may be ultimately useless to complain to Xfinity, but I know I’ve done all I could to tell them they are doing a lousy job,
New Poster

Re: Manage DVR from computer

I am disgusted with the fact that I can NO LONGER manage my DVR from the computer.  It's always worked well for me, and I feel like I've had the rug pulled out from me!   I don't like scheduling from the tv, but that's what has to be done now.  Comcast - get your head out of your butt and recognize that people are NOT happy with this change.   Bring the DVR Manager back to the computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most Valued Poster

@orfartenbuehl wrote:
Agree again on Dish. Not going to happen, Fios is a real possibility, as it’s the only other competitor in our area. Their pricing is roughly the same for the services I have, plus I can keep my home phone number at a lower price as it can’t be ported to Xfinity. It may be ultimately useless to complain to Xfinity, but I know I’ve done all I could to tell them they are doing a lousy job,

=============

Speaking of home phone porting. We had Verizon for land line and ported it over to Comcast a  few years ago when we got digital voice and it was seamless. Saved almost $60 a month by adding voice to our bundle. 

We do indeed need to do all we can to tell Comcast how we feel so at least we know we have done our part.  Their service is very realiable where I live and thats the good news. The bad news is that they 'giveth and then taketh away' useful  features we come to love and we have them for a long time and then all of a sudden they become patent issues and head to the  court system black hole. Very disheartening.

Regular Contributor

I actually think On Demand started going downhill when Comcast decided to start renting and selling episodes - way before Netflix (which was never really competition for these shows). Comcast had a huge library on Streampix where you could watch tons of older and more recent shows. They decided to end all of those licenses when they moved to charging money for those same shows. Of course, much of it still depends on the network, for example, some shows still provide free access to the whole current season during its run, while others only allow for a few recent episodes back. For viewing further back than that, you either have to pay Comcast or subscribe to Hulu (or sometimes Netflix or Amazon).

I think the biggest failure is X1. It has ruined the website, On Demand, favorites lists, and now recording. I am so glad that I never moved to it.

Most Valued Poster

@sbwinter2 wrote:

I actually think On Demand started going downhill when Comcast decided to start renting and selling episodes - way before Netflix (which was never really competition for these shows). Comcast had a huge library on Streampix where you could watch tons of older and more recent shows. They decided to end all of those licenses when they moved to charging money for those same shows. Of course, much of it still depends on the network, for example, some shows still provide free access to the whole current season during its run, while others only allow for a few recent episodes back. For viewing further back than that, you either have to pay Comcast or subscribe to Hulu (or sometimes Netflix or Amazon).

I think the biggest failure is X1. It has ruined the website, On Demand, favorites lists, and now recording. I am so glad that I never moved to it.

===

I never had to pay for any episode in a current season and could even see many from previous seasons. No streampix or anything.  I hate it now...can hardly watch anything older than one day...lol.  We have X1  and had a lot of useful features we loved but most are GONE

Frequent Visitor

If you want the individual email addressess for Comcast executives this website has them all.  http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/comcast/

New Poster

Whoever is responsible for this, it is a stupid unfounded decision.  Setting a recording by an app is no different than a wireless keyboard used as an extension of a connected keyboard - the app is just a wireless extension to you being physically at your DVR.  Just a different medium delivery.  This again brings up the belief that people making decisions have been moved up to their level of incompetence.

Expert

@djvo wrote:

Whoever is responsible for this, it is a stupid unfounded decision.  Setting a recording by an app is no different than a wireless keyboard used as an extension of a connected keyboard - the app is just a wireless extension to you being physically at your DVR.  Just a different medium delivery.  This again brings up the belief that people making decisions have been moved up to their level of incompetence.

if you check the answer from Comcast in the first post on the first page of this thread you will see that Comcast is under court order to comply and is appealing the 'decision' re: the patent. 

Regular Contributor

I never had to pay for any episode in a current season and could even see many from previous seasons. No streampix or anything.  I hate it now...can hardly watch anything older than one day...lol.  We have X1  and had a lot of useful features we loved but most are GONE

So, I wasn't talking about a current season, except that some shows do not offer all of the episodes for that current season (like ABC sows only offer a few back). I was talking about past seasons. I used to have access to many older shows and past seasons before Comcast started charging. Now they all cost a fee to watch (so I won't).

I am not on X1 and have no problem accessing current seasons/recent episodes for any show I want, so if you can only access a day back, then that is defintely an X1 failure. Older, regular boxes do not have that problem. My gripe is that they do not always have the most recent episode up the next day as promised by the network and Comcast, so often I have to go to the network's app.

New Poster

Re: program dvr from a computer

Phone app does not work either.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Upgrade of Xfinity Stream app = less control

That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

What happend to the recording button

On the xtv site and app you can’t set recording any more. Please bring back.
Contributor

Scheduling a recording using Xfinity TV Remote or Stream TV app

Feature is no longer available, why would that be taken away??

New Poster

Xfinity online app no longer allows you to set recording

I used to be able to set recording for show from my iPhone using the xfinity app.  Now i can only watch a show. No longer the option to record  what happened?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Record a tv program from my iPad and Android phone

That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Scheduling a recording using Xfinity TV Remote or Stream TV app

@Genesis722 wrote:

Feature is no longer available, why would that be taken away??

Hi, I moved your post to this mega-thread. page one of the thread  has the best answer from Comcast (about the court decision)> select Page on on the post and you should see the first post and answer.

Regular Contributor

Re: Upgrade of Xfinity Stream app = less control

@CCShane wrote:

Good luck with that appeal.  It can easily take years for an appeal to wend its way through the courts.  Your apology is meaningless as On Demand has very few current season shows - as in maybe 3 past episodes.  Or, in the case of CBS, maybe none.  A few stations have more, but beyiond that you have to pay to see shows you missed because you were unable to set recordings while you were away from home.  So does that mean Xfinity will reimburse us for any current season shows we couldn't record and had to pay for to watch??  I assume the answer is "not in this lifetime." 

Most Valued Poster

Rustyben,

Have you ever counted the number of times you and some of the Comcast reps have explained why the feature was removed and pointed people to the explanation? It boggles my mind how many posts every single day bring this up and/or demanding compensation or immediate re-establishment.  I only used the feature when on vacation but  obviously its widely used so I 'get it' but I just don't understand why users don't bother to read what you guys post as rationale (even if we don't like it).  I have learned the hard way that continual complaining  about feature changes is akin to self flagellation and nothing other than long service disruption is going to result in bill credit.   My in box overflows with notifications of new posts about the remote recording feature.  Users do indeed have the right to fuss but for heavens sake...search the forums FIRST and READ whats already been published on the root cause rather than post  like this is a brand new problem.

Frequent Visitor

@TerriB wrote:

Rustyben,

Have you ever counted the number of times you and some of the Comcast reps have explained why the feature was removed and pointed people to the explanation? It boggles my mind how many posts every single day bring this up and/or demanding compensation or immediate re-establishment.  I only used the feature when on vacation but  obviously its widely used so I 'get it' but I just don't understand why users don't bother to read what you guys post as rationale (even if we don't like it).  I have learned the hard way that continual complaining  about feature changes is akin to self flagellation and nothing other than long service disruption is going to result in bill credit.   My in box overflows with notifications of new posts about the remote recording feature.  Users do indeed have the right to fuss but for heavens sake...search the forums FIRST and READ whats already been published on the root cause rather than post  like this is a brand new problem.

Thank you!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity online app no longer allows you to set recording

It's a contractural issue.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/m-p/3006332#M10827

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity online app no longer allows you to set recording

RobertWy wrote: It's a contractural issue. ...

It isn't really accurate to call patent infringement "a contractual issue". See employee ComcastJessie's reply in http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/m-p/3006430#M10834:

... Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. ...
Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

Rustyben,

Well here's a startling thought,

WHAT IS PREVENTING COMCAST FROM SENDING EVERY SUBSCRIBER AN EMAIL THAT EXPLAINS WHY A SOMEWHAT IMPORTANT FEATURE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE????

Give me a break.

Most Valued Poster

@plummerl wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Rustyben,

WHAT IS PREVENTING COMCAST FROM SENDING EVERY SUBSCRIBER AN EMAIL THAT EXPLAINS WHY A SOMEWHAT IMPORTANT FEATURE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE????

Give me a break.

==============

I resent that you quoted my post like I did you a wrong ? I have zero control on how Comcast does or  does not notify customers. I  am just weary of new posts about this remote programming

issue when there is a mega thread on it already and explanation after explanation after explanation.  So many of us  have been very vocal on features we have come to love that were taken away over the years and nothing has changed just because we contacted Comcast, came to the forums,etc. Oh yes wouldn't it be wonderful to have email notification ahead of time but all that would do would be to get us on the forums faster to voice our opinions and would not stop the change . They are going to what they are going to do whether they tell us ahead of time or not.

So now I need to ask what you would do it they emailed  that they were going to remove a feature you loved? What would change in the process? Its not like they are going to poll the customer base to see if we are ok with losing a feature before they remove it.

Regular Contributor

I think things are getting a bit confused over who is expressing what opinions and who is a shill for Xfinity.  Obviously anyone who posts as an employee of Xfinity is going to provide as little information and help as possible and whatever it is will represent the company line.  The moving of posts to a megathread is fine - we just don't need a post telling us every time it's done.  What's the point?  Nobody cares and nobody can do anything about it.  So whoever is doing it should stop telling everyone what a great job they are doing in moving things around.  What we need to know is WHEN a resolution to the problem is expected.  And a stop to saying the question is answered.  The question of what will happen now is paramount.  Litigation and appeals can literally take forever.  I was once involved with a patent infringement appeal that took over 10 years to resolve.  There were no winners, other than the lawyers.  I don't care who wins.  What I do care about is restoration of the remote recording functionality through some means.  If the method that was being used can no longer be used, come up with a different one.  That's what we, the customers, are asking for.  No explanation of what happened, no excuses, just a solution.  And if Xfinity has no desire to do that, let us know so we can decide whether to stay with Xfinity anyway or move our business elsewhere.

But no one at Xfinity seems to care, so that may be their response to their customers. 

New Poster

I was sure I had set recordings remotely a while ago but wasn't sure. I searched on my laptop and phone for the feature. It's so inconvenient when I'm away during the week and discover something is coming on I want to watch later. May not be available On On Demand.
Regular Visitor

programming

Why can't I schedule or delete a recording from my smart phone?

Regular Visitor

smart phone not so smart

Why can't I schedule or delete a TV recording from my smart phone?

Why can't I set or delete the priority of a show that is scheduled to be recoreded from my smart phone?

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Rustyben,

Give me a break.

==============

I resent that you quoted my post like I did you a wrong ? I have zero control on how Comcast does or  does not notify customers. I  am just weary of new posts about this remote programming

issue when there is a mega thread on it already and explanation after explanation after explanation.  So many of us  have been very vocal on features we have come to love that were taken away over the years and nothing has changed just because we contacted Comcast, came to the forums,etc. Oh yes wouldn't it be wonderful to have email notification ahead of time but all that would do would be to get us on the forums faster to voice our opinions and would not stop the change . They are going to what they are going to do whether they tell us ahead of time or not.

So now I need to ask what you would do it they emailed  that they were going to remove a feature you loved? What would change in the process? Its not like they are going to poll the customer base to see if we are ok with losing a feature before they remove it.

Ok, try this. You stated the above. It's not rocket science, if Comcast had simply posted an email explaining the situation, subscribers would not be left to seek an explanation in the forum! Every single posting here questioning what's happened, with Comcast or their subject matter "experts" pointing to the first posting and supplying the rediculous suggestion that On Demand would take care of everything, would be prevented. If they had emailed a notification about the change, at least I would be coming into the forum with knowledge about/why what's happened.