Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

New Poster

setting a recording

how come on the mobile app and being logged into your account you set a recording from the Channel guide anymore.. I used to set recordings from my phone and laptop for days or hours ahead.. what changed?

Frequent Visitor

Set DVR from mobile device

I used to be able to program my DVR while away from home using the app. on my phone. Seems that another improvement  to the Xfinity service has taken this ability away from us.  Does anyone know how this can be done?

Frequent Visitor

Re: how to set DVR recording when not at home

It's January 2018. It seems a bit incomprehensible to me (and I'm sure others) that Comcast/xfinity customers can't record a show using a desktop/laptop computer or using a smartphone app. It can take YEARS to appeal a court ruling. Isn't Comcast doing anything to write their own code to give we consumers the ability to record (or delete) a show remotely. Perhaps it's time to "cut the cord." As many others have done. 

Best

Expert
Moved:

Expert

Re: Set DVR from mobile device

@largin wrote:

I used to be able to program my DVR while away from home using the app. on my phone. Seems that another improvement  to the Xfinity service has taken this ability away from us.  Does anyone know how this can be done?

hi, I moved your post to the mobile app area of the forum and into this mega-thread. page one first post has the best answer.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@rickcremer wrote:

It's January 2018. It seems a bit incomprehensible to me (and I'm sure others) that Comcast/xfinity customers can't record a show using a desktop/laptop computer or using a smartphone app. It can take YEARS to appeal a court ruling. Isn't Comcast doing anything to write their own code to give we consumers the ability to record (or delete) a show remotely. Perhaps it's time to "cut the cord." As many others have done. 

Best

I'm writing as a customer (the Comcast Official answer is on the first post on page 1 of this thread). The issue appears to be it is an 'abstract' procedure claim that basically tries to patent the entire idea of controlling a cable box remotely so code is not the issue as per the articles i've read. only a patent attorney and the courts will end up getting a decision on if the abstract patent granted is overbroad and not eligible to patent.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Just another one of MANY ways in which Comcast states that they really, really don't care about their customers. Clearly, the impact on their customers is the last thing on their mind. I'm done with these idiots. Shopping for alternatives already.
Official Employee

Hello largin, due to a judicial ruling we have disabled this feature while we pursue an appeal. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert
Moved:

Regular Visitor

Recording when away from home

We can no longer record when away from home due to legal ruling. Comcast tells us to see if your shows/movies are on demand. Well the majority of the time when I want to watch a show in a previous season I have to buy it! Why is that? We're already paying for enough. If the show I wanted to record was showing on tv, why should I have to pay to watch it because they took yet another option from us?

Expert

Re: Recording when away from home

@Lucyvanpelt wrote:

We can no longer record when away from home due to legal ruling. Comcast tells us to see if your shows/movies are on demand. Well the majority of the time when I want to watch a show in a previous season I have to buy it! Why is that? We're already paying for enough. If the show I wanted to record was showing on tv, why should I have to pay to watch it because they took yet another option from us?

on demand available episodes are determined by the providers (producers/networks) and that information is built in to the recordings made available to Comcast. when the date 'expires' it is no longer available. while travelling, the show will be available normally the next morning, but I've seen some network shows that are available when the actual show is live (some kind of instant recording perhaps). Not sure how not recording away from home relates to much older than currently airing episodes.

New Poster

Re: Can't schedule recording on mobile

This could be the problem. I had the same problem and I was getting aggravated
4F68F9D3-061B-4495-B329-455D5BF7C5F6.png
New Poster

Remote Record Options

Just got the iPhone X and went to Xfinity Remote App to set a recording to happen in a few days.  There is no record option.  TV listings, touched the show and only option is to watch channel.  At bottom of DVR Manager, it only shows what is recorded and what is scheduled.  I use to be able to set record up from my iPhone 6S.

Valued Contributor

Re: Remote Record Options

@orbigfoot wrote:

Just got the iPhone X and went to Xfinity Remote App to set a recording to happen in a few days.  There is no record option.  TV listings, touched the show and only option is to watch channel.  At bottom of DVR Manager, it only shows what is recorded and what is scheduled.  I use to be able to set record up from my iPhone 6S.

Comcast was forced to remove that option due to another company's lawsuit.

New Poster

Does this legal ruling restrict Comcast from allowing remote recording or does it give Comcast the right to restrict remote recording?

Can you provide me with a link to this legal ruling.

Most Valued Poster

@MDR533 wrote:

Does this legal ruling restrict Comcast from allowing remote recording or does it give Comcast the right to restrict remote recording?

Can you provide me with a link to this legal ruling.

I would also like to see the legal ruling since it appears from what others have said  that other providers allow remote recording and they have not stopped providing the service due to legal disputes. Its not right that Comcast has been singled out in court and of course its not fair that we lost this valuable feature while they deal with it.

New Poster

Great, we lose a feature but our monthly bill stays the same. This feature was one of the reasons I chose Comcast Service.

Best,

A not so happy Comcast customer.

New Poster

Great, we lose a feature but our monthly bill stays the same. This feature was one of the reasons I chose Comcast Service.

Best,

A not so happy Comcast customer.

Expert
Moved:

New Poster

Can't record from Roku app

I've noticed over the last few weeks that the record button has disappeared from the Roku app and online when I use my browser. What gives and when will it return? There are many programs that I would like to record and can't. I don't have access to the cable box that is in the house. Its in another bedroom and access is very limited. Any help with this and how to record with the app is appreciated very much.

Regular Visitor

It relates because I had missed the first season of a show that I wanted to watch. When checking to see if it was on demand, I would have to buy the episodes I missed. Then when away from home, I saw those same episodes were going to be replayed on tv. Since I wasn't home & couldn't watch them at that time, I went into my account to set up a recording to watch later and found out that was no longer an option through Comcast. Yet when at a friend's that has direct TV, they were on demand at no charge. 

Contributor

"it's a luxury, not a necessity"
Uh right, good one. Less functionality, ever-increasing cable bill. It just keeps getting better. lol
Regular Contributor

Re: Why can't I record in TV remote anymore

@milehiguy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@milehiguy wrote:

Wow, I can't even delete a recording via mobile any longer ...

on the app using the Xfinity Stream TV app, when you get to the end of the recording (naturally or by sliding the position indicator knob), a popup will appear offering to delete the recording. Note that deleting the recording on the stream app will delete the home DVR copy of that recording, too.

Thanks for the reminder.  Not ideal, especially when simply want to remove a few recordings for space, etc., but at least a workaround until Record functionality is restored.

As others may have noticed, at least the ability to delete an existing recording from the Stream app, which was also removed, has been restored.  As before, to delete a recording first select it, then choose Record Options, then Delete Recordings (1) 

Highlighted
New Poster

Why can't I record tv programs using tv remote anymore? I used to be able to do tat from my iPhone.

Why can't I record tv programs from my iPhone using tv remote or tv streaming? I used to be able to do that.

Frequent Visitor

Isn't that special. Who needs the delete function if you couldn't record it to begin with !

Regular Contributor

@shelby1254 wrote:

Isn't that special. Who needs the delete function if you couldn't record it to begin with !

Well ... although less convenient than doing so with the app, I still do record via the DVR ... unless away from home of course. Smiley Wink

Expert

Re: Why can't I record tv programs using tv remote anymore? I used to be able to do tat from my iPho

@BoShmo wrote:

Why can't I record tv programs from my iPhone using tv remote or tv streaming? I used to be able to do that.

Hi, I moved your post into the mega-thread on this topic. short answer is pending lawsuit. see page one, first post for Comcast's answer. 

New Poster

Can't set channel to RECORD

Brought up streaming on my PC to watch a show.  Brought up the Channel guide, found a movie (chl 737 TNT) and wanted to set it to record.  Record was NOT an option!  What gives??  I used to be able to do that!

New Poster

Re: program dvr from a computer

I agree totally.And what about all the customers that they promised this feature to? And what do they plan on replacing it with???? This does not suprise me they can't even leave my bill alone when I call over & over again to have them correct it according to a 2 year contract & at least every 2 to 3 months I get an increase & a charge I have no idea what it is for. So tired of all the excuses & ready to cancel & get internet elsewhere & just get hulu & netflix.Too mant promises & mistakes & untruths about services.Had enough!!!!!!

New Poster

Not being able to set recordings remotely is a very annoying reduciton in services.  Shouldn't there be some rebate for this diminishment of an original service?  

New Poster

Re: Can't set channel to RECORD

Unfortunately, Comcast was sued by TiVo for that incredible feature.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/22/tivo-comcast-x1-lawsuit/

Just look up tivo comcast lawsuit for more information. I really hope Comcast solves it asap as the feature is one of those conveniences that makes the world of difference in their product.

New Poster

how to set dvr to record program remotely

New Poster

iPad recording

Won’t record from computer 

Regular Visitor

ComcastJessie - Can I expect a refund for loss of service in my bill?

New Poster

How to set recording from a device

The option to set a recording from my iPhone or iPad has disappeared. Why is that?

Regular Contributor

You apologize for the inconvenience?  Instead of apologizing, Xfinity either needs to fix the problem or start refunding part of our monthly payment.  I have been away from home for a month  and was unable to set any recordings.  Fix the problem.  You have a legal department.  Find a loophole.  Use your slimy lawyers to do something other than write incomprehensible language into your customer agreements.  Why is the answer to everything from Xfinity “It’s beoynd our control.”

This is is a crock - I realize all cable companies are lower than pond scum, couldn’t care less about current customers and only seek to get new ones and have CSRS programmed to never answer a direct question.  You and the other cable companies are signing your own going out of business papers.  As more people decide to cut the cord, the news spreads and the effect snowballs.  And yet they try to sell us more and more junky services we don’t want or need.

time to complain to the FCC - again.

New Poster

Recording difficulty

Why can't I record from my Xfinity app? This use to be an option, now it just says "watch channel"

Thank you for your assistance. 

New Poster

Can’t find DVR recordings on stream TV app

Up until today I’ve been able to watch shows on my phone that I have recorded on my DVR. Now when I open the app there is no more “Recordings” or whatever section it was that saved where my DVR’d episodes were for me to watch.
New Poster

Remote recording

The reason that we are a Comcast Customer (phone, internet, TV) is the outstanding advanced features such as phone messages forwarded to iPhone, access to TV programs anywhere on iPad, etc.  Whatever reason some DODO eliminated the remote DVR programming is totally contrary to the Xfinity “future of awesome” philosophy.  What idiots!  If this was a programming error, fine, just correct it!

Expert
Moved:

Re: Why can't I record tv programs using tv remote anymore? I used to be able to do tat from my iPho

Regular Contributor

From the continuing number of questions on this forum, the simple fact is that Xfini y could care less about customer service.  It’s been more than a month since this problem started and not one email, posting on their homepage or any other communication to subscribers informing them about this problem,   Forums are not the place people should find out about a system wide problem.

Come on, all you Xfinity apologists, let’s see some pressure on the company and an official response sent to everyone who is a Xfinity subscriber.  Take your heads out of your posteriors. 

New Poster

I just heard from tech support that this will continue until suitnis resolved. Very unfortunate and wondering if charges will be adjusted since we are paying for a service we can’t useZ
Regular Contributor

Xfinity give us a credit because they aren’t providing something we’re paying for?

Fergeddaboudit.
New Poster

Record button not available

Record option is not available on my remote app
Expert

Re: how to set dvr to record program remotely

@kvoight wrote:

hi, I moved your post to this mega-thread. see first page first post for Comcast's answer about legal issue.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Stream App

I don't see were to reply to a previous post, so I'm just going to add it in here
I was reading about people not having a record button showing up in the app on my phone like it used to to start recording when not at home.
Noticed just now that i can't start a recording that i don't want to miss--
Can you please advise?
Tags (1)
Expert

Re: Can’t find DVR recordings on stream TV app

@Boz6 wrote:
Up until today I’ve been able to watch shows on my phone that I have recorded on my DVR. Now when I open the app there is no more “Recordings” or whatever section it was that saved where my DVR’d episodes were for me to watch.

hi, I moved your post to this mega-thread. the official answer is on the first page first post and is the best answer for your question.

Expert

Re: Xfinity Stream App

@mrmsbhvn wrote:
I don't see were to reply to a previous post, so I'm just going to add it in here
I was reading about people not having a record button showing up in the app on my phone like it used to to start recording when not at home.
Noticed just now that i can't start a recording that i don't want to miss--
Can you please advise?

Hi, I moved your post to the mega-thread on this topic. page one, first post has the answer attached to it that is the best answer from Comcast.

Regular Visitor

I don't believe that the network or producers have anything to do with the decision.... If so why is it when I log in to History to go app... Everything is there (i.e... All shows, all episodes, free) ? And I have to use my xfinity credentials to even get into the app... Kinda makes me wonder!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Can't set channel to RECORD

@JDTully wrote:

Unfortunately, Comcast was sued by TiVo for that incredible feature.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/22/tivo-comcast-x1-lawsuit/

Just look up tivo comcast lawsuit for more information. I really hope Comcast solves it asap as the feature is one of those conveniences that makes the world of difference in their product.

If I remember correctly the removal by Comcast of the wonderful useful recording buffer was also due to TIVO  issue and perhaps lawsuit even though we had the feature for years before Comcast yanked it. NOW we have another TIVO vs Comcast issue? What in the world is going on.