Community Forum

Blue Commercial Break in Process screens blocking program content

Frequent Visitor

Blue Commercial Break in Process screens blocking program content

My question/concern is about the blue Commercial Break in Process screens blocking program content ONLY on Fox News Channel and Fox Business Channel (these are national broadcasts) from the TV Go Channels. Most of the time, the blue commercial break screen pops up in lieu of the actually commercials. At first, I thought ok so I don’t have to be bothered with commercials, that’s fine. Then, I noticed sometimes the commercials aren't blocked between news programming, I actually get to watch the commercials which is usually required in this business since the commercial usually pays the bills right? So, I didn’t think much of it whether I’m forced to watch the actual commercials vs the blue screen. UNTIL, I noticed that sometimes the blue commercial break screen that pops up doesn’t go away when the news programming is back on the air, and sometimes I miss entire news segments before the blue screen goes away! I have actually tested this by watching on my TV at home while on my phone it only shows the blue commercial screen. So, I’m missing the actual news stories as a paying customer. I find this extremely strange and do not understand why my viewer rights are being intermittently blocked?? Even more concerning when I found out, through my own testing, that NONE of the other national news outlets (MSNBC, CNN, HLN, BBC, CNBC, and C-Span) are EVER blocked – there are no blue commercial break screens popping up on those news channels and thus the news programming is never interrupted. I am a very long time “dedicated” paying Comcast customer. Some other customers have asked about the blue commercial block screens, but Comcast never responded in the online forum. I hope this is not a wide spread issue with other customers?

Expert

Re: Blue Commercial Break in Process screens blocking program content

CustomerB4 wrote:

My question/concern is about the blue Commercial Break in Process screens blocking program content ONLY on Fox News Channel and Fox Business Channel (these are national broadcasts) from the TV Go Channels. Most of the time, the blue commercial break screen pops up in lieu of the actually commercials. At first, I thought ok so I don’t have to be bothered with commercials, that’s fine. Then, I noticed sometimes the commercials aren't blocked between news programming, I actually get to watch the commercials which is usually required in this business since the commercial usually pays the bills right? So, I didn’t think much of it whether I’m forced to watch the actual commercials vs the blue screen. UNTIL, I noticed that sometimes the blue commercial break screen that pops up doesn’t go away when the news programming is back on the air, and sometimes I miss entire news segments before the blue screen goes away! I have actually tested this by watching on my TV at home while on my phone it only shows the blue commercial screen. So, I’m missing the actual news stories as a paying customer. I find this extremely strange and do not understand why my viewer rights are being intermittently blocked?? Even more concerning when I found out, through my own testing, that NONE of the other national news outlets (MSNBC, CNN, HLN, BBC, CNBC, and C-Span) are EVER blocked – there are no blue commercial break screens popping up on those news channels and thus the news programming is never interrupted. I am a very long time “dedicated” paying Comcast customer. Some other customers have asked about the blue commercial block screens, but Comcast never responded in the online forum. I hope this is not a wide spread issue with other customers?

if the commercial slot is not licensed for national broadcast then you see that message. 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Frequent Visitor

Although I do appreciate you (Rustyben) responded to my message, it still doesn't explain why the blue screen block is NOT lifted consistently every time Fox programming is back on air.  It frequently prevents me from watching the actual news that Fox is broadcasting at that moment.  I have been monitoring this issue for weeks, and it feels like someone or a software program at Comcast is controlling whether I get to watch the actual program or the blue screen.  Also I find it very hard to believe that ONLY the Fox channels have this blue screen issue in my region.  All the other national news channels have commercials and are never blocked.  

Expert

CustomerB4 wrote:

Although I do appreciate you (Rustyben) responded to my message, it still doesn't explain why the blue screen block is NOT lifted consistently every time Fox programming is back on air.  It frequently prevents me from watching the actual news that Fox is broadcasting at that moment.  I have been monitoring this issue for weeks, and it feels like someone or a software program at Comcast is controlling whether I get to watch the actual program or the blue screen.  Also I find it very hard to believe that ONLY the Fox channels have this blue screen issue in my region.  All the other national news channels have commercials and are never blocked.  

you could tweet tox news to ask them. they make that commercial replacement. Remember that all the TVgo channels are direct from the provider, in this case Fox news. Comcast is not watching nor inserting that screen.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Frequent Visitor

Ok thanks Rustyben.  I will pursue it with Fox.  I appreciate the help!  Merry Christmas!

Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: ... [Fox] make[s] that commercial replacement. ... Comcast is not watching nor inserting that screen.

How do you know? How would Fox go about "regionalizing" its national feeds? Comcast inserts local and regional advertising into national feeds, why wouldn't Comcast also handle commercial blackouts?

Expert

BruceW wrote:

Rustyben wrote: ... [Fox] make[s] that commercial replacement. ... Comcast is not watching nor inserting that screen.

How do you know? How would Fox go about "regionalizing" its national feeds? Comcast inserts local and regional advertising into national feeds, why wouldn't Comcast also handle commercial blackouts?

all TVgo feeds are managed by the provider (not Comcast). Perhaps th=y are hard breaks that are sold by local cable companies to sell local/regional commercials.

Frequent Visitor

Guys, it is odd to think that Fox controls this and knowingly forgets to remove their own blue screens when they are officially back on air. Really?
Bronze Problem Solver

CustomerB4 wrote:
Guys, it is odd to think that Fox controls this and knowingly forgets to remove their own blue screens when they are officially back on air. Really?

Agree, seems more like a local (ie comcast) problem

Expert

mvenanzi wrote:

CustomerB4 wrote:

Comcast passes through the feed provided by the TVgo streams. any questions need to go to the provider (like foxnews has a tweet account). 

Bronze Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

CustomerB4 wrote:

Comcast passes through the feed provided by the TVgo streams. any questions need to go to the provider (like foxnews has a tweet account). 

If you can give a source for your claims I would believe you.

Expert

mvenanzi wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

CustomerB4 wrote:

Comcast official employees have stated in posts that the TVgo channels are managed by and provided by the source not by Comcast. It is therefore a 3rd party stream not a comcast stream and that is why the streaming bytes count (since not in-house content).

Bronze Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Comcast official employees have stated in posts that the TVgo channels are managed by and provided by the source not by Comcast. It is therefore a 3rd party stream not a comcast stream and that is why the streaming bytes count (since not in-house content).

Sorry, but until you can supply a reliable source to your claims, I can't accept your claims as fact. Even Comcast official employees have been proven incorrect in their statements on these forums from time to time, and Comcast official employees at comcast stores give out incorrect info.

Expert

mvenanzi wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Sorry, but until you can supply a reliable source to your claims, I can't accept your claims as fact. Even Comcast official employees have been proven incorrect in their statements on these forums from time to time, and Comcast official employees at comcast stores give out incorrect info.

charges1.jpg

If you notice the popup that appears for a few seconds for TVgo channels it says 'accessing the internet' meaning that the feed is external to Comcast's internal streams.

Bronze Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

If you notice the popup that appears for a few seconds for TVgo channels it says 'accessing the internet' meaning that the feed is external to Comcast's internal streams.

Again, speculation on your part based on another irrelevant fact.

Are you familiar with wireshark (if not google it), its a network capture tool. I started a captured, then started streaming fox news tv go channel. I "followed" (filtered) on the ethernet data stream and the source of the data is coming from a comcast server (

odol-atsec-bos-37.cambridge.ma.boston.comcast.net) not a fox or any other server. The tool shows the http address of the source, ping that http address and it get resolved to the same addr listed in the capture as the source.

Untitled.png

Expert

mvenanzi wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Again, speculation on your part based on another irrelevant fact.

Are you familiar with wireshark (if not google it), its a network capture tool. I started a captured, then started streaming fox news tv go channel. I "followed" (filtered) on the ethernet data stream and the source of the data is coming from a comcast server (

odol-atsec-bos-37.cambridge.ma.boston.comcast.net) not a fox or any other server. The tool shows the http address of the source, ping that http address and it get resolved to the same addr listed in the capture as the source.

the atsec in the address is probably part of their security so you can not simply go to the outside site directly. The logged in authorized app would have access to the stream from 3rd party via that link. Otherwise a link to the direct stream would compromise security of the asset stream. Sure it is speculation, but Comcast said they don't manage the TVgo streams and that is why it is counted in the cap.

New Poster

I have the same issue with the blue commercial break screen!  However, Comcast told me I had to switch routers and sent me one of theirs.  The issue went away for awhile, I saw all the commercials when I stream from my phone in my house while on wifi.  Then for no reason at all this week, the blue screen came back when streaming foxnews.  What is the deal!?  It's maddening!

Expert

cosmicgirl67 wrote:

I have the same issue with the blue commercial break screen!  However, Comcast told me I had to switch routers and sent me one of theirs.  The issue went away for awhile, I saw all the commercials when I stream from my phone in my house while on wifi.  Then for no reason at all this week, the blue screen came back when streaming foxnews.  What is the deal!?  It's maddening!

you get the same screen on the 3rd party fox news app when watching live news feed. comcast does not manage the tvgo they just provide a secure link to the feeds.

Bronze Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

cosmicgirl67 wrote:

you get the same screen on the 3rd party fox news app when watching live news feed. comcast does not manage the tvgo they just provide a secure link to the feeds.

Not true. I ran fox news app, xf stream app, and stb at the same time, and when commercials happen fox app shows a nice screen saying commercial in progress and it goes back to the show immediately after commercial like the tv. The xf app goes to blank blue screen and stays well after show starts, sometimes over 5 minutes in.

New Poster

If that’s the case why your first response was about commercials not being licensed for national broadcast?! Wouldn’t it be easier to address the problems to Fox News right away?

New Poster

I have same problem while watching streaming Fox News through Roku device with xfinity subscribers services....also the channel seems to get blocked so that I have to remove the app and reload app to maintain viewing....what goes

New Poster

I've noticed this odd behavior that Xfinity is doing with the Fox channels. Everyone knows the worst thing a broadcaster can do is have dead air, so to try to influence people to stay away from Fox, Xfinity creates blocks of dead air several time per hour. I wouldn't care that much except like the original post states, they don't  broadcast the show once it goes back to the studio. Yesterday I was waiting for the program to resume and it went back to Fox in time for them to cut off the guest and tell them they were out of time and broke again into a commercial. That made back to back commercial breaks just a few seconds apart.  This is inconsistent enough that it is being done manually by someone that isn't paying attention. By design, I am convinced to steer viewers away from the conservative viewpoint. I wish the FCC would put a stop to this blatant bias they are imposing on their customers.  If we only had better choices for who we have to use for broadcasts.  

New Poster

This has been going on at least since early 2015. Either Comcast is doing this intentionally or there is extreme competence, unable to solve this. The argument has been presented and validated that the commercials that go to blue screen are local commercials and are manipulated to last into the segment in order to discourage fox viewers from watching it. Anyone have a rebuttal to this?
Gold Problem Solver

@Malq wrote: ... Anyone have a rebuttal to this?

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"?

Frequent Visitor

I'm getting the blue screen and going long and  missing TV segments. I've sent e-mail to FoxNews and Xfinity and it's still occuring. Very frustrating.

Official Employee

Hello MaxQRick, I am sorry to hear you're having trouble. Would you be able to send me a direct message providing more details on what exactly you experience? Also, can you send the full name and phone number associated with your account? Thanks. 

Expert

@ComcastNicole wrote:

Hello MaxQRick, I am sorry to hear you're having trouble. Would you be able to send me a direct message providing more details on what exactly you experience? Also, can you send the full name and phone number associated with your account? Thanks. 

you can see it using fox news channel TVgo channel. happens on the commercial breaks (Foxnews keeps screen covered up too long with commercial break in progress).

Frequent Visitor

the FoxNews extended blue screen/commercial breaks occurs regardless how I'm logged in. It happens from my computer at work....or at home on my home network on wifi on the iPhone. It is a provider issue.  It doesn't occur with any other channels. It's not consistant. Sometimes the commercials play (I don't mind that)....while other times we get the blue screen for minutes and minutes.

Admin1

MaxQRick -- I will have our support team look at this. Would you mind if I use your account as an example for them? 

Frequent Visitor

sure....why is my acount relavant? It happens with any and all accounts.

Frequent Visitor

turn it on now.....it's been blue for about 5 minutes. Just watch it for a while and you'll see first hand.

Admin1

MaxQRick -- Thank you. Your account is relevant since it's confirmed to be happening when you're trying to stream. The people who have reported this issue do not represent the entire Comcast customer base so you can't say that all accounts have this issue. I tested it with my own and did not run into this issue. 

Please send me a PM with your name, account number, and best contact number. I'll be able to get a support ticket with that information.

New Poster

Seriously. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that this happens to. It makes absolutely no sense for Fox to be willingly cutting out their programming in lieu of this blue screen that is so obnoxious and annoying when I see it for 20 minutes straight and know that I'm missing the live show being broadcast. This is been going on for at least the last 6 months maybe longer
Admin1

Hello All -- If someone would be willing to let us use their account as an example account that would go a very long way in getting this resolved. If someone is willing, please send me a PM with your account information please. 

Expert

@ComcastZach wrote:

Hello All -- If someone would be willing to let us use their account as an example account that would go a very long way in getting this resolved. If someone is willing, please send me a PM with your account information please. 

you can use mine

Admin1

Rustyben -- Thank you very much. I appreciate you. 

Expert

for the test had HD fox news on set top box, an iphone running stream app with fox news TVgo and a tablet running the 3rd party fox news app. at the 'hard breaks' where local/regional slots are sold the fox news app showed in house commercials advertising their own shows and schedule. the break ran about 5 minutes and then returned to news segments. the TVgo on iphone continues to show the blocking screen shown below (with no audio) for 10-12 minutes total and then reblocks in next commercial break.

foxnews-break1.jpg

Admin1

Rustyben -- Thank you for providing that screen shot. The message that is in the screen shot is there by design, per our streaming rights agreement, but it is supposed to return to regularly scheduled programming once the commercial break is over. It shouldn't run over.  

Bronze Problem Solver

ComcastZach, who is activating/deactivating this blue screen on the fox tvgo channel? Fox, Comcast, someone else?

Admin1

mvenanzi -- It's not managed manually by any one entity. It's something that should happen automatically when the program returns from commercial. Other apps perform that same way, where they have that same message during commercials, and are designed to return to regular programming once the commercial break is over. 

Bronze Problem Solver

@ComcastZach wrote:

mvenanzi -- It's not managed manually by any one entity. It's something that should happen automatically when the program returns from commercial. Other apps perform that same way, where they have that same message during commercials, and are designed to return to regular programming once the commercial break is over. 

Some entity must control it even if it should happen aotumatically.

New Poster

This is maddening! Whatever code you've written for Tvgo doesn't work. The blocks last 10 minutes every single time, making watching Fox News impossible. Are you going to submit this problem to your coders to be debugged?

Expert

@Me91 wrote:

This is maddening! Whatever code you've written for Tvgo doesn't work. The blocks last 10 minutes every single time, making watching Fox News impossible. Are you going to submit this problem to your coders to be debugged?

TVgo channels are ip connections to the source (like fox news). they do the programming etc. comcast has nothing to do with the 'feed'. it is aggravating and has been raised with OE's who may still be working with fox news to fix. it appears the automated masking at fox is not working.