Community Forum

Apple TV Xfinity streaming

Regular Visitor

Apple TV Xfinity streaming

Someone at Comcast needs to explain why they won't create a version of the streaming app for Apple TV. If they are, how about an update and a forecast for when it will be available. There just isn't an excuse. My guess it has something to do with the money they make from cable boxes. Streaming app for streaming devices means no boxes. If that's the case, I would surmise the lobbyists are working overtime to prevent our government from making them do what's right.

New Poster

Re: Apple TV Xfinity streaming

Currently comcast offers a beta version f the stream app on Roku. Its not that they dont want to put it on AppleTv they just have to come to an agreement with Apple as they did with Roku. Its not as easy as creating an app and putting it out there. You have to come to an agreement with the different platforms out there such iOS, android and Roku.

New Poster

Actually, it isnt that difficult to come to an agreement.  Apple wants the content on there, just as badly as we do.  I think it has more to do with Xfinity worrying about people not renting their overpriced boxes.  

Expert

@IndianMoto wrote:

Actually, it isnt that difficult to come to an agreement.  Apple wants the content on there, just as badly as we do.  I think it has more to do with Xfinity worrying about people not renting their overpriced boxes.  

Most plans include an HD capable set top box, only extra outlets are charged. Comcast recently gave information in an article that is available online. https://www.fastcompany.com/90205212/comcast-is-totally-ok-with-you-not-having-an-xfinity-set-top-bo...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I agree. This is quit irritating that I can use xfinity stream on my iPhone and not my Apple TV. ESPECIALLY, when multiple customer service associates have told me that Xfinity stream is already available on Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV, when in fact it is not.
Expert

@Sneakyweezel wrote:
I agree. This is quit irritating that I can use xfinity stream on my iPhone and not my Apple TV. ESPECIALLY, when multiple customer service associates have told me that Xfinity stream is already available on Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV, when in fact it is not.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90205212/comcast-is-totally-ok-with-you-not-having-an-xfinity-set-top-bo...

appears to be on the way but not yet announced on when.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I copied this from my other post:

TiVo/Rovi sued Comcast over remotely scheduling recordings (basically), and the AppleTV may be considered a "remote device".   Comcast could either release the AppleTV app WITHOUT being able to schedule a recording (and get lots of screams from customers) or release it WITH the recording (and run the risk of futher legal/patent problems)

Put it this way: Would you want it on AppleTV/tvOS without being able to schedule recordings?  :/  That feature was already pulled from the iOS version

New Poster

And why do you assume that it’s Comcast fault there isn’t one? Did you post the same angry question on the Apple TV forum?
New Poster

Yeah... that’s why it’s readily available on multiple other devices...
New Poster

I have been very disappointed by this as well. I was told by a Comcast representative that the app was available for Apple TV. That was several months ago. It is very frustrating.

Expert

@mnorton934 wrote:

I have been very disappointed by this as well. I was told by a Comcast representative that the app was available for Apple TV. That was several months ago. It is very frustrating.

the company announced a few months ago that their goal is to add some new devices/platforms for the stream app by the end of this year (dec 31). time will tell.

New Poster

I was told the same thing about ten minutes ago... 

Highlighted
New Poster

Well, yes. I would rather have Xfinity on my Apple TV (and complain about no DVR) than to not have it at all. It's absurd that I can voice control volume on any channel - Netflix, Amazon Prime, Acorn TV, whatever - and not on basic TV service from Xfinity.

New Poster

On that same note, it shouldn’t work on IPad or IPhones, since both operate on IOS. But it does work on both, so please explain.
New Poster

So when does Comcast/Xfinity estimate availability on Apple TV? Is there an estimated or planned date of release? Thank you.
New Poster

If it's about Comcast box rental$, then why have a free version available on Roku and neglect Appletv?