Community Forum

Android TV Remote app no longer works to set recordings or view program info

Contributor

Android TV Remote app no longer works to set recordings or view program info

Am I the only one who is having this problem? Starting a few weeks ago, I get an error every time I try to open a program item from the channel listings to see info or set a recording. Every time.  I also get an error if I try to view my Scheduled Recordings.  I can still see a list of my recordings, and I can view the guide. 

This is the Android app, and I get the same result on two different devices (one running Android 4.0 and the other 4.4.2).  I have tried reinstalling, signing out, restarting, etc.  I have called CS twice, to no avail.  

I am using a DVR box, and it seems to be working okay.  I can set recordings using the regular remote, though I find it cumbersome at best.  

I don't see anyone else complaining about this, so I'm wondering if it's just my problem. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Android TV Remote app no longer works to set recordings or view program info

starrigger wrote:

Am I the only one who is having this problem? Starting a few weeks ago, I get an error every time I try to open a program item from the channel listings to see info or set a recording. Every time.  I also get an error if I try to view my Scheduled Recordings.  I can still see a list of my recordings, and I can view the guide. 

This is the Android app, and I get the same result on two different devices (one running Android 4.0 and the other 4.4.2).  I have tried reinstalling, signing out, restarting, etc.  I have called CS twice, to no avail.  

I am using a DVR box, and it seems to be working okay.  I can set recordings using the regular remote, though I find it cumbersome at best.  

I don't see anyone else complaining about this, so I'm wondering if it's just my problem. 

I assume you do NOT have X1? If so, I have the same issue. The list of scheduled recordings open up at March 9, then gives an error when it tries to update. This is a phone running Android 6. Getting info on a program from the guide has always been iffy. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Even trying to change channels on the DVR with it is intermittent.

Screenshot_20170324-091425.pngScreenshot_20170322-092433.png

Contributor

Re: Android TV Remote app no longer works to set recordings or view program info

I'm not the only one, then.  Thanks for posting the pictures.  That first one is exactly what I'm seeing every time.  The app is now nonfunctional for purposes of setting recordings, or checking scheduled recordings.  Which leaves me back where I was when they dropped the web-based DVR manager without notice. 

Yes, I have non-X1 service. I wonder if X1 customers are having the same problem. 

Silver Problem Solver

I would assume getting info from the guide sholudn't be related to your type of service.

On the other hand, the DVR stuff is very different. X1 is server-based, so whatever is set on the box is instantly mirrored on a Comcast server. The non-X1 has to synchronize every few hours, and that is very slow I've noticed. There is a diagnostics screen that shows when the last complete sync completed (mine never seems to show a completed sync), and when the next attempt to sync will happen.

DVRSync.jpgDVR Sync screen from diagnostics

Contributor

What did you do to bring up a diagnostics screen? 

Edit: Never mind, I found it. (Power Off, then OK/Select).  I don't have an option for web access status on mine. No information that I could see about syncing. 

All indications to me are that the problem lies between the app and Comcast's servers, rather than with the DVR.  Hard to be sure, though, since I can't even get the app to a screen that offers a Record button.

Silver Problem Solver

The Power Off/Select is for the Motorola diagnostics. The screen I show is from the iGuide diagnostics.

Press MENU twice for the main menu

Select Setup

Select Cable Box Setup

Select Configuration

Press the FAV key to begin the diagnostics screen. Each press of FAV advances to the next page.

Contributor

Okay, thanks. I found it. Mine shows a sync was completed not long ago. I don't seem to have a sync problem with the DVR. I think the issue for me is what I said above.  It's either the app or the back end, and comcast needs to fix it. 

Contributor

What do you know - they just fixed it! I tried one more time, and suddenly it's working! How about that. 

I'll try again tomorrow and see if it's still fixed. Fingers crossed! 

Silver Problem Solver

I noticed it seemed to be working Saturday morning. That said, who knows for how long. I've had it work one hour, then an hour later, give errors again.

Contributor

Today, it is sort of working.  I can now see my scheduled recordings, and when I open a program item, I can see the description.  Where there should be a record button, I see a black box.  When I clicked experimentally on the box, it did schedule the recording. And then the app froze. 

Since last night, every time I've tried to use the app, it has frozen within a few minutes of use.  

They must be working on it.  I hope they know it's not there yet. 

Contributor

The problem seems to be resolved.  It's been working correctly for a couple of day now.  Thanks, software guys!