Community Forum

Password requirements

christophermark
New Poster

Password requirements

This is more of a rant than a question.  Why is the max password length for our accounts 16 charectors?  That is entirely unacceptible in todays world, yes I'm an IT worker too.  For a company that does security, has a website will billing and other personal information in their customers accounts to only allow a max 16 charector password is negelantful and irresponsible.

ComcastJonathan
Official Employee

Re: Password requirements

Hi there, can you describe where you are seeing those requirements? We currently limit it at 128 characters

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/changing-or-resetting-your-password

I am an Official Comcast Employee (On the HQ Identity Product and Serviceability Teams).
Official Employees volunteer their time outside of their normal day jobs to create the best customer experience possible. If and only if you've been tagged, you can PM us by clicking on our name and clicking "Send a Message"
christophermark
New Poster

Yes.  I wanted to change my password.  So I went in to account settings, Xfinity ID and Password.  This mesage is displayed:

Update Your Xfinity Password

You can update your account password for added security. Passwords must be 8–16 characters with no spaces, and contain at least one letter, one number and / or special character. Do not use your first name, last name or username.

ComcastJonathan
Official Employee

There are updates pending in the My Account experience to increase the character limit there to 128. If you need more characters for now, go to www.xfinity.com/password 

What's possible there on the character limit is shown below.

ComcastJonathan_0-1612029637609.png

I am an Official Comcast Employee (On the HQ Identity Product and Serviceability Teams).
Official Employees volunteer their time outside of their normal day jobs to create the best customer experience possible. If and only if you've been tagged, you can PM us by clicking on our name and clicking "Send a Message"