Community Forum

Unable to set rule for garage door opener.

New Poster

Unable to set rule for garage door opener.

I recently purchased two Liftmaster garage door openers.  I was able to sync them to my Xfinity Home app, however, there are two issues.  One, I am unable to change the name...they both simply say "Garage Door Opener".  Two, from what I've found on the Xfinity site I should be able to set a rule, to close them when arming the system or at least send a message if the system is armed with them open.  However, I am unable to do this.  When I go in to automation they do not appear at all. 

Is this an issue or is the Xfinity home system not capable of performing these tasks?

Official Employee

Re: Unable to set rule for garage door opener.

Hi sominskij!

The names of the Garage Doors are pulled in to the Xfinity Home app automatically, and cannot be edited in our app. To rename them, go in to your Chamberlain/Liftmaster MyQ app (the one you probably used to initially setup and install your hub), go to Device Management and tap on the name you gave your Hub. From there tap on the door you wish to edit, tap on the name, make your changes and then choose Save. If the changes aren't immediately reflected in the Xfinity Home app, choose the option to Re-Sync your account (tap on the three dots next to your Garage Door on our app's main screen and tap the Re-sync button at the top) and then close and reopen the App.

Our rules for Garage Doors are all about Notifications. When you go to the Automation section of our app, click on the Notifications tab at the top. You should see an option for "Garage Door Activity." This will allow you to set up Push, Text, E-mail and X1 Notifications to let you know when you door opens or closes, or for when your door remains opened during a certain time of the day. These notifications can help you to decide if you need to go in to the app to open or close your door. Currently you can't set rules that trigger your door to open or close automatically.

Hope that helps!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I was able to set the notifications, however, I am still unable to change the name of the doors. On the xfinity app it has both doors labeled as “garage door opener” on my chamberlain app they were first named “garage door one” and “garage door two”. I then changed them to “one” and “two”, resynced as directed and closed the xfinity app and restarted it. No change. Any further suggestions?
Official Employee

Hmm... that is odd.  I would suggest Deleting your rules, choosing the option to "Disconnect this Account" in our App on the Chamberlain / Liftmaster screen and then Connecting it again and re-creating the rules.  That should pull in fresh information all around.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!