Community Forum

Send me a text if camera detects motion ?

New Poster

Send me a text if camera detects motion ?

How do I set up a rule to receive a text message if outdoor cameras detect motion ?
Xfinity Home Security installed the cameras, and there is 24/7 recording, including videos of motion events, but it seems silly that I must check the system all day to see if there are any videos. Instead, I should receive a notification (via text, email, etc) when motion is detected. What am I missing ???
Valued Contributor

Re: Send me a text if camera detects motion ?

At this time there is no way to set a rule based on motion detection from the Comcast Cameras.  I have been trying to get an answer out of Comcast for months as to why this can't be done as the cameras have motion detection, but have never gotten a response as to why not or if they will someday activate this.

New Poster

spacecadet57 - Thanks for sharing your same experience with lack of real-time notification for motion events.  Seems like most security cameras on the market offer real-time alerts / texts to your phone, so the technology is widely available.  We are trying out the Comcast cameras because we were already using Comcast Home Security.  So for now, I guess we must check our phones frequently to determine if suspicious activity is occurring at the house.

By the way, in a funny twist of irony, I received a real-time alert (via email) about an hour ago that you responded to my question about real-time alerts. 

@spacecadet57 wrote:

At this time there is no way to set a rule based on motion detection from the Comcast Cameras.  I have been trying to get an answer out of Comcast for months as to why this can't be done as the cameras have motion detection, but have never gotten a response as to why not or if they will someday activate this.

@spacecadet57 wrote:

Frequent Visitor

If you have their newer system ( the one with the touchscreen -  I had one before the touchscreen and just upgraded ) , then you can set up a so-so  amount of automation through Xfinity’s Home App  including sending texts, push notifications, emails and on screen (with X1) notifications.   You just have to use the app to set it up.  It’s pretty straightforward / intuitive —-  once you figure out where to locate the automation functions  ; ) 

I’m still getting accustomed to what I can do through the TV vs the Touchscreen vs the Home App ( not sure if there’s a different list altogether on the website ; )  or what’s available in the other apps )  but I was able to program a ~ minimal (ok) amount of automation through the Home app. 

I was hoping to be able to do more with IFTTT and Google and Alexa, but I haven’t found a way to do that yet ; ) 

Frequent Visitor

@CatMan4 @spacecadet57 

I was wrong about the push notification and X one notification, but you can get a text or email that’s triggered by your camera detecting motion.

This is a screenshot from the (Xfinity) Home app 

97272868-91F7-4B2A-8EC6-3A764B231D25.jpeg

In my case one motion sensor is part of my camera ( it sounds like that’s your situation as well?).   So I think this is likely to work for you ; ) 

All the best!

Valued Contributor

I can set up rules about sending messages when the motion detectors detect motion, what we are wanting is to be able to get notices when the cameras detect motion.  At this time there is no way to do this, even though the cameras have motion detection capabilities.  The motion detectors are not made for outdoors use where as the cameras are (at least to a certain extent).