Community Forum

Ecobee being forced to Hold

Contributor

Ecobee being forced to Hold

I recently installed an Ecobee thermostat, which was working fine on its schedule. A few days later I set up an automation rule in the Xfinity Home app to set it to Away when armed, and Home when disarmed. However, it appears what is actually happening is when Xfinty Home is disarmed, whether from Away or from Night (don't really use Stay),  it sets the Ecobee to Hold rather than just use the normal schedule. This seems like a defect in how Xfinity Home is sending commands to the Ecobee. I did not have this issue in my previous house, where I had a Nest with the same automation rule.

Official Employee

Re: Ecobee being forced to Hold

Hi @commodore_dude

Sorry for the experience you're having. I'd like to help troubleshoot to see if I can help get this resolved.

• Have you tried resetting the Xfinity Home App?
  • Can you control your ecobee Thermostat from the ecobee app? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Resetting app had no change in behavior. I am able to control the Ecobee from their app without issue. My guess is either Xfinity Home is sending some extra command that initiates the hold, or the lack of some supplementary command to prevent a hold means it defaults to a hold on the Ecobee end when receiving the Home status command.

Official Employee

@commodore_dude

I was wondering if it was a compatibility issue. Which Ecobee model are you using? The models we currently support are: 

1. ecobee3 
  2. ecobee3 Lite 
  3. ecobee4 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

It's an ecobee4. And after doing some research, it seems like this is an Ecobee issue, not an Xfinity Home issue - it appears whenever any 3rd party service sets Home or Away, it also sets it as a hold on the Ecobee end. Hopefully if anyone else comes here with the same question, this helps them!

Official Employee

Thanks for the update @commodore_dude. I'm sure this will help others who may run into the same problem. If there's anything more we can assist you with, let us know. Thank you for being the BEST part of Comcast, take care!