Community Forum

Camera Rules

Frequent Visitor

Camera Rules

I have had an Xfinity security system since 2015 and have had rules such as "take a video if the door opens" or "take a video of there is a dang alarm!!".  The rules stopped working in December, but the camera was fine otherwise.  After speaking to reps on the phone they all saw the camera as offline, but, again, it worked fine. So in early January a tech deleted the camera and added it back and it started working with the rules again.  For 6 days.  Then it stopped.  Yesterday a tech was told by XH engineering to do the same thing again, but he ran into problems.  He got authorization to install a new X2 camera, which he did.  Now I have no access to any rules pertaining to the camera and I was told that the X2 cameras do not support rules at all.

Can anyone confirm this because I have heard so many things from these reps over the last two months ("you have to have 24/7 recording for those rules to work" - yeah, no) that I don't automatically believe anything they say anymore.  If it is the case, though, DirecTV and Ring are getting a new customer because I am done.  Just too many straws.

Official Employee

Re: Camera Rules

Hi bloogoo -

First, let me say that I am sorry to hear you've had such a poor experience with rules for our cameras... this definitely sounds like an out of the ordinary case and is most definitely not an experience we'd want any of our customers to have.

I can indeed confirm that our newest xCam2 model which is in the process of being rolled out in many areas for new installations does not support rules.  While they may in the future, they were really built with our 24/7 video service in mind, which a majority of our customers now opt for when signing up for service that includes a camera.  With 24/7 video recording, all motion events are captured and you can review, download and share video footage for at least the last 7 days without the need to set up a rule.

Customers who wish though to still be able to set rules for their cameras should be installed with the original xCam models.  Rules are also supported with the older iCam2 model.

I certainly hope we don't lose you as a customer - the cameras you have now are very nice... they support 1080p on live video and 720p on 24/7 video... have improved night vision with a range of up to 23 feet and more features to come... and of course can be viewed on your X1 Set Top Boxes.

If you do wish to switch back to a model though that supports Rules, please give us a ring... I am sure we can work to assist you in getting an appointment to get the right models installed again and then get those rules working for you. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Another really dumb decision by Xfinity.  instead of adding features, seems like they are intent on removing them.  You have to pay an extra $10 a month for the 24/7 recording, which is what they are trying to force us to pay for.

Official Employee

spacecadet -

As a rules power user like you, I agree that adding Camera Rules to the XCam2 is something we should work to develop - I've sent feedback to the team!

The reality is though that we focus our development dollars into products and features that are both used most and requested most by our customers, and we put a lot of time and research into that. Camera rules have lower utilization - part of that is because of the popularity of our 24/7 Recording - but we are not looking to remove features to force anyone into a higher package. We do have a solution for those who want the feature for now - we just need to make sure to install the right equipment.

For example, last year we introduced one way audio with our xCams, as well as the ability to use AI to filter video clips by People, Vehicles, and Pets - both in the Xfinity Home App as well as on X1.

We have also launched a new Touchscreen - the Home Hub 2. Along with the newest xCam2, this hardware will allow us to release and develop new features that will continue to make Xfinity Home one of the most cuting edge, flexible, and -- maybe most importantly -- secure systems on the market.

But again, I do agree - we have some opportunities on the rules side for future enhancements - I'll continue to advocate for additional development and I hope to be able to announce some more cool stuff on that front soon!

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I'm curious.  With the 24/7 recording, how does one find video of a particular event?

I would think that a triggered alarm would, theoretically, be easy.  Maybe you can jump right to the section of the recorded video via the alarm event?

What about if something triggered motion?  Or if a door opened or closed?  Say you left your front door unlocked while you went into the garage and some nefarious individual opened your door and stole your puppy.  Is there an easy way to find the recorded video of that event?

Official Employee

Hi Bloogoo!

Yes - if there is an alarm event, there will be a special screen that appears within the app as soon as you launch it which will make it very easy for you to immediately review all of the video that took place during the alarm, as well as what triggered the alarm.

For just normal day-to-day reviewing of video: with 24/7 Video Recording, you'll see a thumbnail snapshot for each of your cameras showing you a zoomed-in picture of what triggerd the motion detection for everything detected by your camera, each day.  You can then click on the thumbnail to view the full video of what was recorded. 

You can Filter/Search these motion events by People, Vehicles, and Pets to more easily find the event you're looking for, and go back at least 7 days.

You can get creative with Rules - for example, if you know that the garage door is not supposed to open after you leave for work in the morning, or before you return home in the evening, you could configure are notification to be sent to your phone if the Garage Door opens between 8:00am and 5:00pm... which would then allow you to easily jump into the app and check out the motion event that your camera captured at the time the alert was sent.

Please let me know if this answers your question or if you need more detail! 

Frequent Visitor

That's great information. The first person who has provided that! Unfortunately it may be too little, too late. After dealing with techs trying to sell me new equipment (which wouldn't have solved the problem), no-show techs reporting a completed job and a replaced modern even though they never set foot in my home, numerous conversations with tech support, an escalation to executive customer relations and having my "case manager" never answer her phone not return calls and finally starting to another case manager and relating the entire story and telling her I would be perfectly happy with 24/7 recording free for the remainder of my contract, only to have her say she would speak with my case manager who would call me OR she, herself, would definitely call me Friday - yesterday. Never happened. Customer service has gone right out the window on this one so I have been researching options and will likely be switching to DirecTV, Ring and Google Fi at the beginning of next week.
Official Employee

Bloogoo -

I'm sorry to hear about your experience! This is definitely not the norm... If you would like to Private Message me with your account details, I'll see what I can do to raise this concern to someone who can help with getting this resolved for you.