Community Forum

Alexa and Xfinity Home Security

New Poster

Alexa and Xfinity Home Security

Previous to Xfinity Home, I had an ATP Security service which was connected to Alexa. I could say things like "Alexa, set the alarm" or "Alexa, turn off alarm." When my contract was over with ATP, I switched to Xfinity. I took it for granted that Xfinity Home could do the same. But it seems not to be possible even through a third party hub. Here is my question:

How can I set or unset the alarm with a voice command?

I know I can do it with the remote, but I might as well go to the panel if I need to find the remote and turn the TV on. I have echos all over the house, so this would be my preferred method. I can lock/unlock doors, open curtains, turn on TV, and so on.  I can even control channels through Alexa by using a Harmony hub. But the security system remains an unconnected island due to what appear to be significant technical deficiencies in the product. Can it be done with the Amazon echo? If not directly with Alxa skills, perhaps some other way? (The Harmony enables Comcast TV functions, but not the security system.) If not, can it be done with another device? Or does Comcast believe that talking to a remote should be adaquete to its customers?

The difficulty in connecting the security system to third party vendor devices is giving me the impression that Comcast security services are a bit behind the times. If I cannot figure this out soon, I will  need switch back to ATP. This is a major short coming in Comcast's security system in my opinion.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Alexa and Xfinity Home Security

***Validated Best Answer as of 04/2019***

Thank you for your feedback. At this time, this is not possible. If it changes in the future, we will be happy to share those updates here in the Xfinity Forum. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Is this going to change in the future.  Xfinity Home is about the only main security system that doesn't interegrate with at least one of the major systems like Google or Alexa. I keep seeing your ads on TV about your innovations but your system seems to be about the most feature lacking security system around.

New Poster

@spacecadet57 wrote:

Is this going to change in the future.  Xfinity Home is about the only main security system that doesn't interegrate with at least one of the major systems like Google or Alexa. I keep seeing your ads on TV about your innovations but your system seems to be about the most feature lacking security system around.

I completely agree. This feature would be very much apperciated.

New Poster

So when will this feature be added. Clearly other security systems have this enabled so it is not an issue of not having the technology. Could you please provide a detailed update on the timeline for this to be completed.
Diamond Problem Solver

There is no timeline as nothing as ever been announced.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

So no announcement, no timeline. How can this feedback be supplied to the dev team? I must agree with the others, this is a very basic feature and Xfinity is behind here. I am switching back to ADT if this isn’t available when my contract is up for renewal.
Official Employee

SlevinKelevra3, thanks for your feedback. I have sent this to my leadership. Our Comcast development team are looking into ways of furthering the voice remote experience. Even now you can check your XFINITY Home video feed through your X1 box via the voice remote.  We will be sure to post on the forums when new developments/partnerships are announced. 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I think you're missing point here...  the intention is not to do more things via the X1 remote, which people won't likely carry around outside of the room where the TV is, but to use devices like Amazon Echo, Dot, etc... to set the alarm on Xfinity home.   Just wanted to make sure you were understanding the request.  Although this question was about Amazon and the Alexa platform, I'm pretty others will have the same question about similar Google and Apple platforms as well.

Official Employee

BEEJERONI2, I understood, just wanted to give some reference that we are working on new innovations and partnerships. Thanks for your feedback. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Valued Contributor

I am another customer who will likely switch vendors when my contract renews if this feature isn't available.

New Poster

How can I use Amazon Alexa to activate and control my XFINITY Home
Diamond Problem Solver

At this time, it’s not available.

New Poster

I WISH your salesperson had told me that BEFORE I signed a two year contract with your greedy company.
Frequent Visitor

@CCAndrew  @ComcastKenF 

I want to add my voice in strong support of finding a way to integrate with Google Home/Assistant &/or Alexa  ... or IFTTT or Zapier or any program or device that will allow people to use Xfinity Home with Google or Alexa ...

... or, in my case, anything that will pull all aspects of a “smart home” together.  

Even more than the convenience of being able to do everything from my mobile devices – I’d really like to be able to do everything from one or two devices/one or two programs.

From my perspective: the other big challenge is that some of my “smart home” components aren’t compatible with Xfinity ( also the automation is somewhat limited) ... AND at the same time  the components that require Xfinity aren’t compatible with Google/Alexa/IFTTT etc. etc. & so you end up juggling multiple programs and/or multiple devices  without the ability to combine necessary actions together when trying to control your “smarthome”  ... which,  let’s face it — really becomes a complete misnomer when it’s this convoluted.  😂😂😂  It would be easier to go flip a switch  ; ) 

Please relay the messages  ; )

Godspeed ; ) 

New Poster

Why has this not happened yet? I work in IT, I know this is not a tall ask. Fortunately, my xfinity home contract is up next month. I’ll be changing my home security service back to ADT. Also, charging $10+ a month per camera connected to Xfinity home is rediculous. Figure it out Comcast.
New Poster

I’m shocked to read there are no current plans for third party (Alexa, Siri, Google, etc) connections. I was looking into adding xfinity security cams, but kinda pointless if I can’t use my Echo Show to view them. 😕
New Poster

With so much interest in this project to create a link between Xfinity and Alexa/Google Home, why is there pushback from Comcast instead of allowing us to use a hub like Smartthings, etc.? 

New Poster

Boo Comcast! Get it done.
Comcast is probably trying to get their own device out there and does not want to compete...
New Poster

The premisions and API are all that is needed to have a skill authored to allow functionality with the rather open platform of Amazon Alexa.

It is impereative that Xfinity prioritize at least some level of functionality to an Alexa Skill.

Please add my request to the list.  My install is today and I may just cancel in the first 30 days if this Xfinity Home (Security) system fails to integrate with my Alexa or Samsung Smart Home infrastructure.

Thanks,

Del 

Official Employee

Hello All,

Thanks for using the Xfinity Forum to share your feedback. We appreciate it. Although this feature is not yet available, we hope to have it available in the near future.