Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

old phone service cut off b4 activating voice

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

old phone service cut off b4 activating voice

I was told Tuesday night when I called for a dvr service issue and got talked into triple play that my current Verizon phone service would stay active until I hooked up the home install kit and activated it, so don't call your phone company, so I didn't. I was then told I had to have a third party verify things for the number to port so I was transferred and did so. With being out of town over the weekend I was unable to hook up the kit when it arrived so I have yet to activate the serivce but yet found that I was unable to contact my 80 year old mother on Saturday who lives in the house because sometime Friday/Saturday the current phone service was cutoff leaving her with no way to call if she needed something or got sick and resulted in me finding someone to check on her and find out why I couldn't reach her.  Thanks for the added stress in my life.  I called customer service over the weekend trying to get answers and got two people that could only follow a script and said oh that's because it's in process so she can make calls but not recieve them, Really? funny no dial tone pretty much means neither is happening.  I finally reached a supervisor who said she'd look into the situation and was going to call me back in an hour but never did.  I sure hope that the charges for triple play don't begin before that kit is activated.  Is there anyone out there that can help me with this, of course the help I needed was on Saturday so hopefully tonight once things are set up the house will have phone service again.  Why is any of this an acceptable business practice?  Now I'm suppose to feel all warm and fuzzy about setting this up and using your service and paying the bill?  Except for the fact that it would most likely be a disaster and got me money to try to get my Verizon service back, why should I not just return and cancel?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: old phone service cut off b4 activating voice

You should just need to install your modem and call the activation number because Comcast will need to send a signal to it to make it work.  When this is done, you should get a dial tone on the comcast phone and youshould be able to receive calls when the number is ported over. 

Since your verizon phone does not get a dial tone, I would assume that the number has been ported over to Comcast and your verizon account has been canceled by Comcast.  In order to use the Comcast phone service, you will need to have a phone plugged into the phone jack on the modem or you will need to have a phone cord going from the modem to the nearest wall jack if you want to use the phone jacks in your house.  If you use the phone jacks in your house, you will need to unplug the wire from the test jack in Verizon's NID box on the side of your house so no voltage from the verizon lines will be detected by the modem.

If phone support cannot seem to help you, you can see if Comcast's email support department can help you.  Their email address is we_can_help@cable.comcast.com.

New Poster

Do you work for Comcast? Why is everyone missing the point?  All that info is info I already know and duh, if I was there I would hook up the modem, but that is no help to me since I am not at the location of the install kit because of being out of town until tonight and this has left my 80 old mother without a fricken phone for 3 plus days because Comcast screwed up and disconnected my Verizon service BEFORE THEY SHOULD HAVE.  There is no phone service at my house because Comcast apparently doesn't know how to not port a number before it should be ported.  Why did Comcast cancel my Verizon service before the kit was INSTALLED and ACTIVATED is the flipping question WHEN I WAS TOLD MY SERVICE WOULD NOT BE CHANGED UNTIL I ACTIVATED THE EQUIPTMENT?  I would think I'm not the first customer to order a self install kit that is porting their number, or they just don't care how much they screw with people's phone service.  Someone needs to address this sitauation and the last thing I need is yet another customer support area cutely titled we can help so I can talk to a 6th person that gives me the same useless info without addressing the issue. So you would be ok if your elderly parent had no contact to the outside world for days and then worried because there was no phone service? 

Official Employee

LM this is a customer to customer forum, very unlikely you will get someone official. Mama was trying to help you out
Regular Contributor

I am sorry giving you repeated information.  However, when a phonecompany completely ports a number over to their company, the service will usually not work with the previous provider.  If you need somebody to install the modem before you are available, you could see if Comcast could set up a service call to installl the modem.

The person that told you that your Verizon phone service would work until you installed the modem probably did not know how the number porting process worked.