Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

noise during calls

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

noise during calls

When making or receiving call, there is often noise on the line, which sounds like someone pushing phone buttons and which interrupts the message the other person is sending.  The person at the other end of the line doesn't hear the noise.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: noise during calls

Does this happen with all calls or just certain people? Do you have more than one handset? If so, does it happen on just one, or multiple?
New Poster

Really good questions! Before I answer, I have to pay closer attention. I don't believe it's particular people. Will get back with more clues.
Thanks!
Expert
Silver Problem Solver

KarenM_again wrote:

Who you're calling/getting call from SHOULD NOT matter - it is Comcast's INCOMPETENCE !  I've had the same shoddy performance problems, and more:

So if a customer is having issues with the phone handset that is a Comcast incompetance issue? Or if it's the other party's end is having problems? Yay logic!

New Poster

John, I've had every one of the problems mentioned here in this forum as regards Comcast phone reception, (non-)service, and more...My neighbors and I have all replaced our phones and upgraded modems, thinking that was the problem, but it wasn't. I may not have been clear in my 1st comment resulting in your "Yay logic" reply - what I meant to say is that all of these problems, the cutting out, the static, the sounding like you're talking underwater, etc. IS a COMCAST problem only. Whether you are calling out, or someone is calling you should not make any difference - those problems should not happen but are consistent all the time WITH COMCAST. Comcast - as you - are always quick to blame it on the other guy!  However, it never happened with other providers we've had and both my neighbors friends & mine with other providers NEVER have that problem with their providers! When it happens, I have to call them back on my cell phone (Verizon, again, no problem/clear as a bell!).

Luckily, we and our HOA pushed very hard and finally got Verizon FiOS to install lines. I think I have been "punished" by Comcast for trying to switch - I was going to, then cancelled. Comcast not only disconnected my service, but incoming calls got the recording "this # is no longer in service, check your # & try again" for the last 11 DAYS! I think I'm changing my mind about switching again! Comcast is highway robbery!

New Poster

It happens on multiple phones and not with a particular person. It is not all the time. Very frustrating when it does happen, as the noise shuts out parts of the message making understanding difficult .
Silver Problem Solver

Do you have a security system, or fax machine, or medical alert system, or anything else that uses the phone service? You can also try hooking a phone direct to the modem (if it isn't already) to see if it makes a difference. Or disconnect all your phone enabled devices, then hook them back up, one at a time, until you have the issue again, then that device is the one causing the issue.

These are customer to customer message boards. There are a few employees that roam the boards, and their usernames are in the color RED.

If you found my post to be helpful, please click the kudos button, and if I answered your question, please click "mark as solution".

New Poster

I have the same problem.... I get repeated sharp tones as if a key is being pressed periodically. It sometimes has a 'scree' quality to it....but my friend doesn't hear it, then she gets the sound... and I don't hear it... all in the same call. And it happens on calls with others...
Its the kind of sound you'd expect if your call was being recorded as a notification to you. Google voice had a long thread on this that describes it perfectly as it was hapoening to their users....it will come up if you google Loud Key Tone Heard During Calls they identified several features (like recording calls) that might be malfunctioning....but comcast doesn't have these features so that can't be the problem in this situation, but the phenomenon is exactly a described in this thread.

btw John, I have  no other systems connected to the phone system, and it is connected directly to the modem.

A different problem I get is that periodically what someone is saying is siimply dropped - intermittently I miss syllables or words and it happens in clusters. but this is an entirely different issue.  And when I access voicemail msgs and put in my 'passcode' I get a sound (beeplike and loud) that is the sort of sound you'd expect if you were getting transferred... never used to be there... and annoying... and then I can press "1" to play new messages. 

Expert

1 1/2 year old thread being closed.