Community Forum

get calls -it is like our phones are on mute

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

get calls -it is like our phones are on mute

When phone call is placed computers cant here the tone on the dial pad to pick options, when people call in and we answer they can't here us.  Like the phone is on mute, we also tried to switch between tone on the keypad.  It has been 10 days (8/12) without phone, Michael has been helpful - but we still have no phone.  I place a new call to service today around 11 am ( 8/22) to Jerell (YJJ) and he said his supervisor would call.  It is now after 5 and we haven't received a call.  I would like to be compensated for the last 10 days, we can't afford to go another week with out service.  Since we would continue with the triple play if we could get phone service, I would like a special package for internet and tv that doesn't penalize us for not being able to use your phone service.  It seems like we have been dropped .... by our carrier.  The connection is great for Internet and TV Thank you

PS - we thought it was our phone on the 12th, Costco replaced them with new ones and the problems didn't change.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: get calls -it is like our phones are on mute

The first thing to troubleshooting any phone issue is to disconnect the cord on the L1/L2 jack on the eMTA telephony modem and plug in a known good wired phone into the jack and test it.  Do not try the test with a cordless phone.  You need to also press the small indented reset button on the eMTA to reset the device.  Test it with the corded phone first.

The Comcast Cares Team has been notified and will contact the right local people to look at your issue.

Watch this post and your email for updates from the team.

Problem Solver

Did someone finally contact you to resolve this issue?

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Can I delete my posting in this forum?

Is it possible to delete one's own posting in this forum? I only see an option for "Edit".

New Poster

I'm having a similar problem...but it is intermittent...my phone and internet will work fine for days, then simultaneously the internet access will stop working and the outgoing voice will be muted, then it will start working again for a few minutes or a few days, then it happens again, etc.

I've tried resetting the ARRIS TG862 gateway/modem using the recessed reset button, and have also tried unplugging all phone lines except for one wired phone directly into the ARRIS TG862 gateway/modem...no help.

Frequent Visitor

Working on the same issue here. Thought it was our cordless phones. Bought new and they still dont work. (:

Finally did a modem reset (pushed through from their end) and the phones work now.

New Poster

We have the same issue for like four months now!  We bought new phones and they didn't help.  Switched back to the old phones, changed the location of the base of the phones, went back to the new phones:  nothing works!  Comcast came out and hung a new wire from the pole to the house and put an amp in the basement:  didn't help!  I've been reading about the Comcast wireless router/modem online and most of the reviews say that it's horrible.  Has anyone had this problem fixed?

New Poster

By the way we reset our modem and the problem went away.  For a whole 12 hours!  We have to unplug the wireless router/modem three or four times a day now.

New Poster

Hey Comcast Larry we need some help!  What about our phones?  Hit me up!

Highlighted
New Poster

We have the same problem, it started to occur right after I installed the new faster modem from comcast, when we receive a call, we can hear them, they can not hear us. , resetting the modem may solve the problem for a day or two, than it happens again, I reset the modem at least once a week, this is getting old
New Poster

Reading the blog this mute problem is getting worse. It just happened on our phones again, we can hear the caller, they can't hear us, resetting the modem, clears the problem for a day maybe, this problem started right after installing the new xfinity modem. We have had comcast voice for years and worked perfect with old modem
Regular Visitor

Has anyone found a solution?  I have had a tech out to check continuity, I have replaced the phones and modem but the problem still exists. In addition to the line muting, I have noticed the internet packets freezing as well.  Doesn't seem to affect TV. We cannot conduct a home business this way!

Contributor

Browsing the forums..this issue seems to be posted under several different message headings and is causing a large amount of frustration with no real solutions... I hope I have better luck.

We have been having a similar problem with our home phones for months now. I thought it was the phones themselves so I bought another set. We have two different types of cordless phones now but it happens on both brands..Panasonic (older-about 1 yr) and V-Tech (just purchased a month ago).

It happened a couple of days ago while I was talking to a billing service about someone else's bills coming to my home.

It happened again today while I was talking to my Health-Care Rep. Right in the middle of talking I lost her but the call still showed as connected. I had to hang up and call her back. Luckily I had it from the caller ID. Very frustrating is putting it mildly!

After reading this... it now seems the problem is with the Comcast system. I'll call them tomorrow and update this with any results. Wish me luck!