Community Forum

Xfinity Phone

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Xfinity Phone

I currently have a landline phone thru AT&T.  I want to switch to Xfinity phone but am confused about what modem is needed.  I don;t want to do a monthly lease from Comcast on this.  Can I buy it direct from Comcast?  I went to Best Buy nd the only thing they had that worked with Comcast phone service was one from Comcast for $199.  Nothing else they had was compatible for phone service.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity Phone

mydeviceinfo.comcast.net

There's only 1 or 2 modems that Comcast will allow you to purchase that operate phone service. Look for the checkmark in the retail column for the phone modems.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity Phone

FWIW, there *may still* be one caveat to owning your own eMTA or gateway device that supports their phone service. YMMV. I always advise (until I'm told otherwise officially) that the first thing you should do is to call in or go to your local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC.

The personnel that work there seem to better know what the actual local franchise's policies really are than do support reps at the national 800 number.