Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

What's a DSL/ADSL filter? Do I need one to fax?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

What's a DSL/ADSL filter? Do I need one to fax?

HP's user guide says I may need to hook up a DSL ADSL filter.  What's a DSL/ADSL filter?  Where do I get one?  Do I even need one?   Please help!  I'm sitting here with my HP Officejet Pro 8620, and a bunch of cords and phone jack splitter thingies from Radio Shack.   Arghh!  This isn't rocket science, is there something I'm missing here?  I may be blonde, but I graduated with honors, and I'm getting frustrated.  LOL, anyone want to trade tech assistance for writing assistance?   

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: What's a DSL/ADSL filter? Do I need one to fa

HeatherColorado wrote:

HP's user guide says I may need to hook up a DSL ADSL filter.  What's a DSL/ADSL filter?  Where do I get one?  Do I even need one?   Please help!  I'm sitting here with my HP Officejet Pro 8620, and a bunch of cords and phone jack splitter thingies from Radio Shack.   Arghh!  This isn't rocket science, is there something I'm missing here?  I may be blonde, but I graduated with honors, and I'm getting frustrated.  LOL, anyone want to trade tech assistance for writing assistance?   

You do not need a DSL/ADSL filter to use your phone or fax on the Comcast Phone service.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

All Replies
Expert

HeatherColorado wrote:

You do not need a DSL/ADSL filter to use your phone or fax on the Comcast Phone service.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Gold Problem Solver

HeatherColorado wrote: ... I'm sitting here with my HP Officejet Pro 8620 ... 

Does http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Officejet-Pro-8620-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5367611/docume... help?

Frequent Visitor

No, it doesn't.  HP's "helpful literature" is just as unfathomable as Comcast's.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for trying, I appreciate your effort!

HP's "helpful literature" is just as hard to understand as Xfinity's.  It keeps sending me in circles, just like Xfinity.

My printer works great, and after wrestling with trying to be able to send and receive faxes from home, I give up.

The UPS Store charges a lot every time I need to fax (or receive one) but at some point, time and frustration money becomes less important than time and frustration.  I wish companies with customer support based in other countries would get this.  And, I mean really GET IT.  Sigh.

Gold Problem Solver

HeatherColorado wrote: ... after wrestling with trying to be able to send and receive faxes from home, I give up. ...

We might be able to help, but we need more information. For instance,

• Are you using the 2-wire phone cord that HP recommends?
  • When you run a "Print a fax test report" as suggested on the HP web page linked above, what are the results?

What problems are you having specifically? The more details you can provide, the better.

Regular Visitor

Fellow (usually) intelligent blonde here having the same issue! Thanks for the question and the answer. The question made me laugh, totally sounds like me. :-)
Official Employee

Hello All, like geek46 had stated, "You do not need a DSL/ADSL filter to use your phone or fax on the Comcast Phone service." If you are still having an issue sending or receiving faxes using your Comcast home phone service, there are specific settings/configurations you will want to ensure are set properly.

Please check out this thread to learn more about these settings: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Features/Fax-Troubleshooting-for-Comcast-Digital-Voice/td-p/475507