Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Voice Garbled

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Voice Garbled

I've had Xfinity Voice for about 2 weeks now, and am having all sorts of problems with voice quality. Periodically the voice will sound garbled to the point that I cannot understand the person on the other end of the line. People on the other end report similar problems. My phone is plugged directly into the modem so it isn't a problem with wiring in my house, and I've tried several different telephones with the same problem.

I have tried going to pingtest.net to diagnose the problem. When the problem is not occurring PingTest returns a grade of A with 0% packet loss, ping of around 12ms and jitter of 1-2ms. BUT, if I run pingtest when the problem is happening I get a score of F with packet loss above 50%, ping times around 150ms and jitter of around 190ms.

I called technical support but they told me it was a "local problem" and that they could not send out a technician because it was an intermittent problem. So I don't really know what to do. 

I've gotta say, I'm not very impressed with Xfinity voice at this point and am seriously considering cancelling the service.

New Poster

Re: Voice Garbled

I've had the same problem for almost a year.  We have seen at least 5 different technicians who have done five different things: rewired the cable inside our house, replaced all the jacks, fixed a loose wire problem in one of the jacks, replaced our 5 year old Comcast modem with a Gateway modem, and replaced the phone cables (grasping at straws here).  I finally decided to see if our relatively new phones are VOIP compatible and found that they are not.  All four of our phones are Unidens.  Today I bought a Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7920 on Ebay and hope that this will resolve our problem.  If it does, I'm buying more because the seller has quite a few of these to sell.  If not, I've got 14 days to return it and get a complete refund.  I'll know if this phone is better in less than one day.  So here goes my plan......

Regular Visitor

Well... I'll be curious to see if it works or not - I'm sorta guessing it won't help because...

I still have the same problem all these many months later, and I tried new phones but it didn't have any effect. I also tried removing any and all cordless devices from the house - even using an old corded phone plugged directly into the gateway to see if it was the supposed "interference" problem that the technicians said it was, but that didn't help either. I also tried turning off the Comcast WiFi service that allows other Comcast subscribers to piggyback on residential WiFi connections, but that too had no effect.

I have a friend who is in the "uber geek" category, and he wrote a program for me that makes the computer run a "ping test" constantly to see how the connection is working. (A ping is where the computer sends a tiny signal to a server out on the internet and measures how long it takes to get an answer.) Whenever the voice is garbled, the ping also takes an incredibly long time to get a response. This implies that the problem is not with the phone but somewhere between the modem/gateway and the Comcast server (because the phone isn't even in the loop for the ping test.) 

My best guess at this point is that either the modem/gateway has a loose connection somewhere, or (more likely) the network simply gets overloaded periodically (like if a neighbor is downloading a big movie or something) and it can't keep up the speed necessary for voip service. Probably means Comcast just needs to upgrade its equipment in my neighborhood but doesn't want to make the investment... what else is new!

Seriously, the whole reason I switched away from the CentruyFinks was that they're too cheap to upgrade the lines in this neighborhood, so we've still got the original lead lines from the 1950's. Hence the best speed they can provide is 3 meg - plus the phone went out completely every time it rained. Sorta stuck between a rock and a hard place - who would think it would be sooooo hard to get a home phone that works in the year 2015! Pining for the good old days of the big black rotary dial phone on the kitchen wall - it was ugly as sin, but at least the sucker always worked! Sigh.

Anyow... sorry to vent, please do let me know if your new phones solve the problem.

New Poster

I know this thread is a few months old.  I'm curious jpandfxzak if your new phones helped?

Regular Visitor

Well... for what it's worth, I finally got a technician to come out and my problem is now completely fixed. He did two things. First of all he noticed that the incoming signal was a bit high, so he put a splitter on the line to reduce the signal down to the normal level. He also replaced the gateway/modem thing. My hunch is that the problem was the gateway/modem because I could tell from all of the old dead connections in the setup screens that at least half a dozen people had used it before Comcast gave it to me - I'm betting they had problems with it too. 

My advice is this: When you notice the problem happening, go to one of the following websites and run a test: www.pingtest.net or www.megapath.com/speedtestplus/

The numbers you're interested in are the latency, jitter and packet loss. High numbers there indicate a problem with your connection that could easily cause symptoms like a garbled voice. If that's the case, then the problem is with the connection not the phones. 

Good luck and hope that helps! :-)