Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Unanswered/busy call forwarding?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Unanswered/busy call forwarding?

So far Xfinity Voice is working out great.  The one feature I miss over my previous service is call forwarding no answer / busy.  This is when your phone still rings and if not answered THEN it forwards to your forwarding number (i.e. Cell).  Same applies if the line is busy.

We I googled it, it looks like you can get it on the Xfinity Voice busy services...but not residential. 

Expert

Re: Unanswered/busy call forwarding?

Call forwarding Busy/No Answer is available on Residential CDV.  Look in the documentation that came with your service or look in the FAQ.Smiley Happy

New Poster

I looked in the documentation, and in the FAQ's....nothing about unanswered call forwarding.  Talked in person to a nice enough support guy, who after finally listening to me instead of repeating "you just dial *72 and it will forward" a million times, said that "that's a great idea, but we don't do it."  Told him that yes, y'all do do it, at least for business customers.  He paused.  "Oh."  His suggestion?  Call the business people and complain?  discuss??  Also said he would "bring it up to my supervisor" tomorrow at staff meeting.

WHY is such a simple feature, already in place in the business branch, and IN MOST OTHER CARRIER'S RESIDENTIAL OPTIONS, not available??

JamesR, I would be so very greatful if you would post instructions, if you really have figured out how to do unaswered call forwarding for residental digital voice.

Expert

Heres the FAQ -- You need to go online and set the number to call forward to.  Once set, then use  *72 and *73 to toggle on and off.

Using Call Forwarding
Call Forwarding allows you to forward all your incoming calls to another number when you're away from home.

Managing Call Forwarding from your Home Telephone:

To activate Call Forwarding:

Lift the receiver and listen for the dial tone
Press *72 and immediately dial the number to which you would like to forward all of your calls
You will hear a confirmation message indicating that the feature has been activated
To deactivate Call Forwarding:

Lift the receiver and listen for the dial tone
Press *73
You will then hear a confirmation message that Call Forwarding has been disabled

Managing Call Forwarding online:

For both XFINITY Voice and Internet customers:

Access XFINITY Connect from www.xfinity.com
Select the Email icon
Enter your primary Comcast ID and password
Go to the Preferences tab, select Call Manager, then Call Forwarding
Click the Phone Number you want to manage then place a checkmark in the box marked Call Forwarding
Fill in a telephone number manually
Click Save to update your preferences
For XFINITY Voice only customers:

To activate Call Forwarding online:

Open a Web browser and go to www.xfinity.com
Select the Voice icon
Log into the Digital Voice Center (DVC) using your preferred method of access (Comcast Digital Voice telephone number and current voicemail passcode)
Click Preferences
Click Forward Calls
Place a check in the box marked Forward all calls to
Either select a telephone number from the dropdown box, or enter another telephone number in the box marked Other number.  Make sure the correct radio button is selected
Click Save

New Poster

Still doesn't address the busy/unanswered issue, what if the internet is down then you don't get calls?!?!?! So it would make sense if after "X" # of rings it would forward to a call for example? NO????

Expert

ggdude wrote:

Still doesn't address the busy/unanswered issue, what if the internet is down then you don't get calls?!?!?! So it would make sense if after "X" # of rings it would forward to a call for example? NO????

Does it make sense, yes.  Does Comcast do it, no.  If your eMTA is down, the call will go to voice mail, if you have it.

Other VOIP phone providers do have that feature, but those depend on a internet connection to work, where Comcast CDV doesn't use the internet, but their own private IP network.

Expert

Not certain about this, but I think that you use the Internet to set up Digital Voice to go to voice mail after a certain number of rings.  Once set up it should work no matter whether your internet service is up or down.

I say this because, since the Servers that store the Voice Mail are somewhere off in a Central office, the Descision to transfer is probably made in the Central office as well.

New Poster

Vonage does this.