Community Forum

Unable to port number from Ooma to Comcast

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Unable to port number from Ooma to Comcast

I'm having an issue porting an number I have been with for over 15 years from Ooma to Comcast. This number was serviced by Comcast a little over a year ago, ported to Ooma, and now I'm trying to port it back to Comcast.

I have spoken to several members of the technical support staff over the phone giving me two very different reasons why I can't do this. One reason being that the number, 303-xxx-xxxx, is not serviced in the area that I'm in although 303 is the most prominent where I reside, in the metro area of Denver. Comcast serviced this number just over a year ago and now they are unable to? The other reason is that I have ported away from Comcast to Ooma in the past and the number is not longer available to port back to Comcast.

Seeing that I got two different explanations for the same issue and my need to preserve this number, are these reasons actually valid and what are the explanations behind them?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Unable to port number from Ooma to Comcast

According to the Federal Communications Commission they have to do it:

https://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/numbport.pdf

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Unable to port number from Ooma to Comcast

bff426 wrote:

According to the Federal Communications Commission they have to do it:

https://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/numbport.pdf

Not necessarily if the Rate Center is different..... from the same link you provided:

Porting is not always possible If you are moving to a new geographic area, you may not be able to keep your current phone number when changing providers. Also, some rural wireline service providers may obtain waivers for the porting requirement from state authorities. Their customers may be unable to port their number to a new provider. If you are unable to port your number for that reason, contact your state public utilities commission for further information.