Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Set up ringtone for fax machine on same phone line

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Set up ringtone for fax machine on same phone line

How do i set up the ringtones to ring differently (i.e. double/triple ring) when an incoming fax machine calls?  According to my HP all-in-one-printer it will distinguish between the rings and pick up if a fax machine is calling.

Expert

Re: Set up ringtone for fax machine on same phone

Comcast does not have distinctive ringing offered.

Some add a 2nd line without the custom calling features which is cheaper than a fully featured line.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Set up ringtone for fax machine on same phone

I have no need for a second line, what I need is a distinctive ring tone for the very few faxes I get on my new HP multipurpose fax machine.   I literally get maybe 5 faxes per year.  But I want to get them at home, want to use my new HP machine to receive them and want Comcast to provide the service.  I'm told that technically, its not a big deal for Comcast. 

Maybe its time anyway for me to move to another provider for my triple play account.  Others do provide distinctive ring tones.  Comcast is taking over $200 per month from me, they can modify their systems so folks like us can share a fax machine with their main phone line.

Waiting ot hear back from Comcast on this?