Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Number porting taking WAY too long? Major issues?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Number porting taking WAY too long? Major issues?

So I submitted my number port request from AT&T over two weeks ago (11 business days now) and I haven't so much as heard a peep.  Anybody else out there have this issue?  What are my next steps to resolve?

It's frustrating because I switched to Comcast to save money.  Not really saving any by paying for two phone lines while the port completes. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Number porting taking WAY too long? Major iss

Thank you
Comcast Vic.
New Poster

The same thing is happening to me. Switched from vorizon 3/23 to Comcast to save money. Still no phone number.They say they are still porting. Why so long. I am paying for both services without any service.

Frequent Visitor

I, too, had issues with porting. I had switched from AT&T (this was in February). Comcast had finished their installation and my phones were working fine. Then along comes a bill from AT&T. I called AT&T directly and they said they never received the completion notice from Comcast. They asked my to verify I was actually on the Comcast service, which I did. They completed the porting request and credited the old AT&T account.

My suspicion is that Comcast did in fact send the completion notice, but AT&T being AT&T, they just never followed up on their end. There's a reason they're losing clients - could it be poor customer service?

I disconnected my DSL service with AT&T 18 mos ago. However, I had to fight with their customer service for 5 mos to get them to stop billing me for service I no longer had. They would "fix" the issue, then along came another bill the next month.

Frequent Visitor

Now approaching 21 calendar days/15 business days.  Conveinent now that I'm out of my 30 day "Money back guarantee"...

Does anybody have a direct number to the porting division?  This is getting absurd.  My wife missed a doctors appointment because they called the number that's being ported and of course it went nowhere.

Frequent Visitor

I'm in the same boat.  I put in a port request in the beginning of April and as of today, May 3, 2012, it still rings to an old ATT Wireless number.  The number is portable, according to the CSR that put my order trough.  However, when dialed from a Comcast phone (I have 2 lines) it rings to my line 2 of my Comcast service (like it is suppsed to).  I called in the issue the other day and was told to expect up to 72 hours to resolve.  This was supposed to be completed by Apri l5th, according to the CSR I talked to.  Not sure what the issue is when I was told it would take 4 business days.  So, as of Mid April, I have not had a fuctioning line 2.  I can dial out, but not accept incoming calls other than from Comcast lines.  My original line 2 was disconnected by Mid-April.  Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

I'm way past that.  I put in the original port request on March 27th.  I've now had 5 calls to Comcast with no resolution.  Had a call two days ago and she said she'd call me back by yesterday to insure a resolution.  As you can guess, no call back.

I swear if they don't get this resolved in the next few days I'm leaving Comcast after 1 1/2 months.  I called Dish and AT&T a total of ZERO times in the past 2 1/2 years.  Saving $30/month isn't worth this.

Frequent Visitor

In my case, complaining to the right person at the right time of day got my issue resolved in about 30 seconds time.  They stated that the port was not properly completed becuase it was a number change and not a new line of service.  So, I would push them more if you feel and get them to give you an answer on the phone.  Also, call during normal business hours when the escalation team is available.  Do not call the tol lfree number.  If you know the local customer service number for your area, use that and be sure you get someone from your area.  I'm from Minneapolis and ended up talking to an escalation agent in St. Paul, MN who took care of it while I was on the phone.  Good luck.

Frequent Visitor

BTW, the number I called was 651-222-3333.

Frequent Visitor

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-keeping-your-phone-number-when-changing-service-providers

The Porting Period

The FCC has changed its number porting rules to shorten the porting period for “simple” ports from the current four days to one business day. The new deadline applies to all simple ports, including “intermodal” ports such as wireline to wireless, wireless to wireline, wireline or wireless to VoIP or any other combination. 

Filing a Complaint with the FCC

If you have a problem porting your phone number from one service provider to another, first try to resolve it with the responsible provider. If you cannot resolve the problem directly, you can file a complaint with the FCC. There is no charge for filing a complaint. You can file your complaint using an FCC online complaint form. You can also file your complaint with the FCC’s Consumer Center by calling             1-888-CALL-FCC  File your complaint by following the above link. Breaking FCC Rules is kind of serious, people just don't they have recourse over Comcast, but they certainly do.      

Frequent Visitor

Good luck with that..

Breaking FCC rules and regs is a pretty serious matter for you and me, not for multi-million dollar corporations. Typical fines for breaking rules & regs is between $5,000 and $10,000 per incident. Even IF the FCC actually followed up on the complaint and levied fines, it would be passed on to you and me through rate hikes - meaning you and I actually pay the fines, not Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

LOL, Oh, trust me I've filed complaints with the FCC for various entities, such as companies who violate, "The Do Not Call List." The FCC does follow up and YES, they do levy hard penalties, and I do believe that you can get shut down for having too many complaints. So be it, if an entity begins to hike their rates too high, "the market" will take care of them, customers will gravitate to the more reasonable carriers. Anyway, that's like saying, if a thief steals from someone they should not press charges because the thief will come back and get you. You must be one of those fear mongering republicans, who only thinks the rules apply to people of lower stature. It's a trickle down thing dude. Go find someone else to try and scare.

People if you don't get reasonable service, within the FCC Guidelines, don't worry, the FCC does a Fantastic job and they respond quickly. Comcast, catch up and stop holding your customers hostage, you are only hurting your stellar reputation for great customer service. This is funny, a communication company, not liking when people communicate. Lol, lol, lol. It's nice to know there's a body guard around when a bully picks on people. And the rules apply to everyone, even those big people called corporations, a thief is a thief.

Frequent Visitor

I am also having an issue where I have asked to transfer my service (phone number) from Vonage to Comcast to save money and have all my services on one bill, but it is taking too long. I initiated the request on November 1, 2012, and today is January 10, 2013, still no change. Everytime I call I get the same thing, "I will put in the request to have it completed, don't know what happened, but it will be done in 7-10 days". This has been closer to 90 days, not 7-10 days. I need to know how to push this issue further to get it either corrected or switch back to Vonage, since they still have the number. Anybody know or have any ideas?

Frequent Visitor

Your issue likely that your number from Vonage is coming up as a non-standard rate center.  I am in Minneapolis and the number I tried to port was from a small regional carrier and was assigned to a specific city locale vs. Twin Cities (my area's designation), which is what the Prime Telco codes their numbers.  However, that particular number I was able to port to a wireless carrier.  I ended up porting an old pre-paid wireless number to Comcast and it took 2 days to get it done.  Here, the smaller carriers usually can't have their numbers ported to a larger carrier like Century Link or Comcast.  I tried to port two numbers.  The other one, ported just fine.  It was originally from a major telco and we had ported it several times including to Lingo (A Vonage Competitor).  We ported it to Comcats over a year ago and it was a smooth and quick transition.  Make sure that Comcast has all the pertinent info from your Vonage account.  Phone #, Account #, PIN (if there is one) and possibly any other identity info that you have on the Vonage Account.  I did not call the 800 # for Customer Service either during this transition.  We have a Comcast Call Center here (Comcast has a major operation in the Twin Cities), but rather called a local number and got in touch with a manager who made sure it was resolved quickly.

Frequent Visitor

That would make sense, however the number originally came from Comcast and was later switched to Vonage when the rates went up.

Frequent Visitor

Well, I'm in the same boat. Since this thread was started almost 9 months ago, looks like Comcast has not  managed to get their act together. I am switching from Vartec, a small carrier, but if Comcast is serious about voice service, they should have this process figured out. 

I'm seriously thinking of canceling adding voice to my TV and Internet service. 

New Poster

Me to what a gaff.
New Poster

I am having the same problem. I tried to port my number from Verizon wireless. This was on Oct. 14 th. Here it is Oct 26 th and still can't receive calls. I called Verizon wireless and they told me what to tell the comcast rep to do . I called and talked to 4 different reps and they didn't help. So then I tried the computer chat line, thinking now it's in writing, and still it is not resolved. I called my comcast salesman from work on Friday and he said it will be ported by Monday. Everyone tells you 72 hrs. But then it still is not fixed.

New Poster

They said they portef my#, but if you call it , it rings on sprint.
New Poster

I requested a bundle through Comcast on March 28, 2014, and the number port request is still not resolved almost two months later (May 22, 2014).    Installed the new modem myelf, stayed on the phone for 3 1/2 hours with Comcast reps, two visits by Comcast technicians this week, and I was told today to call customer service again to initiate third party verification.  Why does Comcast advertise bundles to lure customers into thinking they will save on monthly bills, but fail to deliver telephone service?    I would appreciate any help.