Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Notification of voicemail through e-mail

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Notification of voicemail through e-mail

I'm wondering if Comcast will add the voicemail file with the e-mail notification so you can hear the message without logging into DVC.  Also, can Comcast include in the e-mail notification what phone number the voicemail was assigned to?  This would be a good idea if the customer has more than 1 line with digital voice.

Official Employee

Re: Notification of voicemail through e-mail

Attaching the voicemail file to the email notification is on the roadmap. We'll also consider including the phone number assigned to the voicemail in the email notification. Thank you for the feedback.
Frequent Visitor

If the phone number is already in my contacts (Universal Address Book), please show the contact name in the notification.

If the phone number is NOT already in my contacts, PLEASE also include the caller id NAME in the notification. It's already being shown in the Digital Voice Center.

Please include the phone# regardless.

Message Edited by taa on 01-30-2009 08:48 AM
Official Employee

taa, thank you for your feedback.
New Poster

FWIW, Automatic forwarding of voicemail as an email attachment is the feature I miss most since I switched from ATT Callvantage.  I was able to listen to all of my voice mails previously as a .wav attachment on my blackberry.  Logging into SmartZone just isn't as convenient.

I am very anxious for this feature to be enabled. 

In fact, pop or IMAP access to the "voice" inbox in SmartZone would be a great feature too!

Problem Solver

Here's how I get my voicemails when I'm not home:

1. Set Voicemail system to send an email to my cell phone when there is a message.  It tells me the length of the call and the phone number of the caller.

2. Call access number and listen to voicemails.

3. Done.

New Poster

Zhou,

When I switched to comcast for my voice service I was told by your sales team that this feature was available.

Both ATT callvantage and Vonage have had this feature for many years.  It was a very important feature to me and I am dissapointed to hear that your roadmap is out of date.

If this feature is still vaporware, could you please inform your sales team?

Thanks.

Official Employee

conform, thank you for the feedback.

New Poster

I will set aside my deep frustration over the fact that I too was told and expected to be able to use this missing feature.  However, to make this worse, with my blackberry 8800, when I get an email notification that there is voice mail, I can't figure out how to go and listen to the message.  I have figured out how to log into the comcast mobile site where I can see email, but there isn't an option to see/hear voice mail.  I've tried logging into the standard website on my phone (comcast.net) but for reasons that are unclear, my login information doesn't succeed (it says incorrect username/password).  I get that I can call the number directly to pick up the message, however that is often inconvenient because someone that is home will often pick up the phone. Also, if I review a message online I would like the option of keeping it as "unheard" in case others in the household should listen to it and have the stutter tone on the phone.

Thanks for your help....in advance.

Frequent Visitor

Hi grayparnassus,

grayparnassus wrote:
I get that I can call the number directly to pick up the message, however that is often inconvenient because someone that is home will often pick up the phone.

Actually, you don't have to call your home number to check voicemail. Here in Portland, OR there's a number you can call to get to the voicemail system directly, and from there you put in your home number and password. I've set up a contact entry on my cell (Android G1) to automatically dial all the digits.

This number doesn't seem to be well-known to the Comcast customer service team for some reason; I had to get it from the tech who came to my home to do the Comcast installation.

The direct-to-voicemail number I use is: (503) 336-0960.

Message Edited by taa on 09-28-2009 05:15 PM
Contributor

As of today, I have noticed Comcast is now sending e-mail notification of voicemail with the actual telephone number it originated from. That is a good start. Now, they need to work on including an attached file with the message so you can retrieve it without logging into Comcast.
Regular Visitor

Yeah, but still no vm audio attachment and still no caller id in the email.  And still no access to the voicemail from the comcast mobile site.  Comcast is really lagging behind it's competitors.  Having to call a voicemail access # after getting an email on a smartphone feels like a huge step backwards.  Vonage's voicemail features are much better.  I was expecting Comcast would have at least the same, if not better.  Also Vonage and Google Voice both do voicemail transcriptions for free.

Contributor

I agree with you singe606.  I had Vonage a couple years ago. I was able to get the e-mail attachment on my mobile phone and listen to the voicemail.  Hopefully, someone is listening and add this feature.

Regular Visitor

I don't know.  This thread is kind of old... and i'm gathering there haven't been any serious functionality updates in quite some time.

I think SmartZone is pretty crappy in general, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that the online voicemail is just as crappy.  The few times I have tried SmartZone it it gives me errors, doesn't load properly, or I have to play a game of 'find the right link' and login multiple times to get to where I'm trying to go.  You think clicking on the link in the vm notification email should take you to where you can listen to the email?  Think again!  How about that Voice button up in the top left?  Nope...

The whole thing just seems very half-assed.  If Google ever becomes a full service VoIP provider with telephone adapters- I'd switch in a heartbeat. 

Expert

I know the voice mail attachment is on the wish list.  The wish list has been more of a dream instead of anything happening.

I miss the attachements too, I had them with ATT CallVantage VOIP for years before switching to Comcast CDV.  I also miss about 6 other features I had that Comcast doesn't have.