Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

DTMF Touch Tones Unrecognized

Contributor

DTMF Touch Tones Unrecognized

On a couple of occasions, I have had problems with touch tones being recognized by several different services from conference calls to voice mail so I suspect that Comcast is not generating compatible tones. It is not consistent nor repeatable so difficult to diagnose.

Has anyone else had this issue? 

Expert

Re: DTMF Touch Tones Unrecognized

The touch tones are generated, and passed down from the phone.  Many recent electronic phones only send the tone for a short time.  This would have nothing to do with Comcast, but it is with the phone equipment.

Please try another phone.  Remember old electromechanical phones would send the tones as long as the button was pressed, many new phones no longer do that, but send a short tone burst.

New Poster

I am having just that issues - both phone starting yesterday after 1 year of no issues. ?? 

Contributor

I have had Comcast voice for 5+ and the same phones for 3+ years and never had this problem. It has only shown up recently and a collegue of mine in another city has recently had the same problem and also has Comcast.

My thought was that perhaps Comcast had made a change recently that might be affecting the tones. Given this is a VoIP system which means the tones are digitized, modulated and sent over the network then demodulated so any change on the Comcast network can affect the tones.

Regular Visitor

I am having this issue when dialing *99 from my home phone. #2 and #3 consistently do not register. I can however select #4 to access personal options but when I try to access Administrative options no matter how many times I press #2, it never registers and the system ends up asking me if I'm still there. I just got Comcast voice installed last week so I have no history. The phone system that I am using is an expandable AT&T TL86109. I've also tried an old phone from the 80s as well as another expandable phone system (Uniden ELBT 595) and both of those work fine. Any suggestiongs?

Regular Visitor

I have the same issue with touch tones also when I was dialing into conference calls using toll phone numbers into AT&T Conference Services. The service simply could not register the touch tones dialed through my Comcast phone service.

Interestingly, if I use a toll-free dial-in to the same service, it was able to register the touch tones.

Regular Visitor

Just an update on this. I have NO issues dialing into AT&T conferencing system and navigating their automated system in order to join a conference call. I DO however have issues navigating Comcast's voicemail system. Specifically, the #2 and #3 buttons do not register. Again, this while using my AT&T expandable phone system (model TL86109).

New Poster

I have the same issues with both lines on the 2-line TL86109.  I have addtional issues with not being able to dial out on one of the 2 lines which I believe are DTMF related as well.  Comcast said my phone was bad and it was still under warrant so I had it replaced.  No help.  Still not working.  This problem has been going on for months now.

Regular Visitor

Same problem here with the TL86109 here in Springfield IL.  It works on everything BUT Comcast Buisness Class voicemail.

Tech supports answer is "Buy a new phone."  I got Comcast business to save money, or so it seemed and it has been nothing but one surprise after another after two weeks of service, most of which are not pleasant.

New Poster

I have the same issues!  I am trying to get Comcast to address now.  Wish me luck.  I will use this thread as proof.

Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

Having just switched to Comcast Voice a few days ago, I am now also experiencing this same issue with tones not being recognized by *99 voice mail or 1-800-Comcast menu.  I have tried a half-dozen other IVR automated systems without issue. So far, this issue is exclusive to Comcast & was never a problem over the last 2 years with the same phone system and AT&T landline.  Having called 1-800-Comcast using the AT&T landline many times over the last 2 years without DTMF recognition problems, this really seems to be a Comcast VOIP settings issue.

I also got the "must be your phone" response on initial customer support call.  I have an open support ticket and little hope it will be resolved.

New Poster

I installed Comcast less than 3 weeks ago and am having the same issue. Has anyone figures this out?  I cannot complete outgoing calls.  It's spotty.  Some days I have no issues and it's not all phone #'s that wont work.  I have had 5 different service calls in 2 weeks.  

I'm using the same phone that I used with Verizon.  Never had an issue with them. If I'm having an issue, I use the $15 spongebob phone in my sons room and it works fine.

I was told I probably need a new phone system.  How would I know the new one would work?

New Poster

I am an Allworx phone system dealer and am having the same issue with DTMF tones not being recognized.  My customer is using an Allworx 6x with 4 line appearances configured on each handset.

Sometimes the call goes through, sometimes it does not.  Once a call fails if you use the redial feature to place the second call it always seems to work, weird.

The problem is very intermittent.  I can be in their office and make a dozen test calls without any issues and they will call me back a day or two later reporting the same problem.  I have been able to duplicate the problem a few times though.  When using redial the call always seems to connect.

There are three DTMF settings for the analog FXO ports in the Allworx system:

Pre-Dail Delay  (typically 500ms)

DTMF Duration  (typically 100ms)

DTMF Gap  (typically 100ms)

Increasing these settings has had no effect.

I have a dozen other Allworx systems connected to Comcast Voice and none of them are experiencing the problem.  All of my other systems are using PBX mode where you have to dial 9 for an outside line.  The customer with the DTMF issue is using line appearances where when you push the Line 1 button you are connected directly to an outside line.  It shouldn't matter but it is something configured differently from all of my other systems.

Comcast level 2 support is supposed to be calling me in the next four hours.  I had to beg the level 1 tech to escalate it.

New Poster

Ok, So, after speaking with the builders, all you have to do is to dial the number and then mute your phone prior to any further number dialing.   The problem is that the phone goes between speaker and tone so fast that the system cannot pick up some of the tone and if you mute it and push then you will only have the system generated tones in order and it works perfectly!

Smiley Happy  Hope this helps

Contributor

Year old thread. Problem no longer exists and had nothing to do with speaker phones anyway.

Regular Contributor

The problem still exists with Vtech phones and the Comcast voice mail system accepting DTMF tones for number keys 1 thru 3.