Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Comcast Changed our Phone Number for no reason

New Poster

Comcast Changed our Phone Number for no reason

Similar to another user in this forum, we found that our phone number of 33 years was suddenly changed in the Comcast system whihc means we have no ability to receive calls from aged parents or health providers  

It appears tat sometime in the May/June timeframe our land line number was changed.  The address doesn't match our home address, etc. the problem undetected until August 14 largerly due to vacations and travel.  We have had our number (5637) for 33 years and as you can imagine it is used all over the place.  Furthermore the address assigned to the new number (1198) is not our address of 33 years

In looking back over the bills, the number was changed (to 1198) on the bill beginning on the June bill.  The problem was brought to our attention by accident when an an important call used our cell contact number.  I have called 4 different times and the agents in the Phillipines are generally clueless and asserting rather strenuosly that their records show that the number for the account is the 1198 and they have no record of the 5637.  ironically the on line billing system will show the change that began in June.  I have spoken with 3 different agents over the past 2 days and 3 have reported  that a help ticket was entered and the problem would be resolved in 24 hours (not) and the subsequent agent either claimed that the system showed no tickeet or in one case the ticket was for an internet problem (not).  Last night the 4th agent advised that he had contacted the Comcast data center and received ad SR #.  He provided the SR number and said that it would take 3-4 days to restore our original number.  I indicated that there are health and safety issues associated with the error and wanted the ticket escalated.  

I asked to speak with a supervisor.  I was told the superviosor would not talk with me.

I asked how I would know that the problem was resolved.  No answer.

I asked how I could track the progress.. There is no ability to track progress

I asked if there was a number to call... no number

I asked if there was any explanation as to why the number was changed, no response, but that the Comcast system says that 1198 is our number.

Funny we have a host of bills that would say otherwise, including those on the Comcast online system.  We have been paying for a service that wasn't in effect

Can anyone tell me how this gets resolved  or who I need to speak with.  Telling me 4 more days and to "trust" the Comcast system to fix something is feeling like a huge leap of dwindling faith

Admin1

Re: Comcast Changed our Phone Number for no reason

Hi Whitegj -- I can help with your phone number issue. I reviewed your account and it showing your number (5637) listed on the account. Looks like you've spoken with a tech support agent who was able to assist with this. Has everything been corrected now? 

New Poster

Yes, the problem and the down stream issues created by the problem have been resolved.   It is totally unclear why the problem arose and very apparent that this problem is way beyond the capabilities (or interest) of the routine off shore help folks.  It was only after using this forum and the on line chat that I was given a phone number to call "behind the scenes" where the technical support personnel were capable of correcting the problem.  So the short answer is, yes, the Comcast problem, was resolved, after speaking with 11 different "help" staff over 5 days with a total elapsed time commitment on my part of slightly over 6 hours.  The system is so broken, but I am truly grateful that at least 2 of the 11 folks understood and actively worked to solve the problem.

New Poster

This has recently happened to us as well. The support people via chat have not yet fixed the problem. Our chat was a week ago and we were told that a fix would be done after 4 days. Should I contact the attorney general?

Official Employee

Hi A53, 

I was unable to locate any conversations with my peers on Facebook, Twitter, or the Forums. I'd be happy to help look into this to help make this right. To protect the privacy of your account, please send me a private message verifying the first and last name of the account holder, the phone number, street address, and the account number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me.