Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Can't move Foreign Exchange ph# - solution?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Can't move Foreign Exchange ph# - solution?

I am currently in the Comcast "monopoly" system.  I have no other options for high-speed internet in my area.  So, I must use Comcast.  I have attempted to migrate my number to the comcast triple play, a move that will save my family over $70 a month.  However, I cannot keep my number because it is a "foreign exchange number", the FCC does not allow it to be migrated. 

So, I am left with no option but continue to pay Comcast an inordinate amount of extra money.  I have children and many accounts with this number.  I just do not see the reason for this rule.  "855" numbers have only been in Northern Calvert County for the last 25 years.  So, what is foreign about this?

The only thing foreign is the fact that I am caught in a monopoly.  Paying more money, getting less service and not being satisfied...

There seems to be no way out.  No discount from Comcast, no telephone number from the FCC.  Can someone give me relief on this issue?

Expert

Re: Can't move Foreign Exchange ph# - solution?

Telephone exchanges (the 3 digits after the area code) are assigned to particular cities. A "foreign exchange" is when you move out of the city an exchange belongs to, but keep your old phone number. If you're staying with the same phone company, they can arrange this, although they may charge an extra fee for it. But the FCC apparently doesn't require these to be portable to other telephone companies.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the insight. 

I am not moving nor have I ever moved with this number(housing location).  It is what is assigned to folks in my area who want to be local to Washington DC(25 min away) not Southern MD.  So, when I wanted to take advantage of the triple play and save my family a ton of money, I cannot do it.  I cannot keep my number.  Because of this antiquated rule about this exchange not being part of our area.  However, there are no other 301 855 number anyplace else except in my area.  It is just a silly rule. 

The fact it keeps me spending too much money in a monopoly system just makes me more angry.

Expert

It doesn't matter whether you moved or not, that's just the most common reason that people get foreign exchange numbers. But whatever the reason, non-local numbers are not required to be portable. I'm not really familiar with how phone systems use exchanges to route phone calls, so I can't comment on whether there's a technical reason why porting foreign exchanges may be difficult. Intuitively, it does seem like an archaic rule; if a call has to be routed to another phone company, it doesn't seem like it should matter where on their network it goes.

You can get Comcast triple play service and save tons of money, you just can't get it with a DC phone number when you don't live in DC.

How is this a monopoly? Don't you have a choice between Comcast and the phone company? No one ever promised you that all your choices would be cheap and offer all the same options.

Regular Visitor

To be honest, I do not have any other option for high spend internet other than Comcast.

So, as far as I am concerned I have no other options and it is a monopoly.