Community Forum

"The Resident" S2/Ep7 is Missing

Regular Visitor

"The Resident" S2/Ep7 is Missing

As with the previous episode, so too with this week's episode of The Resident. It's now two days since it aired, and it's not available. Never mind that it's a next-day thing with other networks' shows, or with this network's (ABC) other shows; no, AFAIK it's only (and consistently) with The Resident.

Hey Comcast! What's up with this?

Regular Visitor

Re: "The Resident" S2/Ep7 is Missing

It's now almost a full four days since this episode aired in its primetime slot, and STILL no trace of it (or 9-1-1, another FOX show, which follows immediately after The Resident).

OTOH, the CBS "duo" of Grey's Anatomy and Station 19 aired just last night, and BOOM! they're both available for viewing via Comcast On-Demand.

What's the problem, Comcast? Is this some sort of "schoolgirl spat" between Comcast and FOX?

Problem Solver

Actually, Resident S2E7 aired LAST week (Nov 5). It and 9-1-1 were reruns this past Monday (Nov 12). But you are correct that the Nov 5th episode of The Resident is missing. (The 9-1-1 episode of the same date is available On Demand.)

People have been noticing the increasingly unreliable and/or delayed posting of so-called “replacement” files for episodes, where the commercial-time is less. Despite the horror story that is the current PBS situation, these problems on getting replacement files reliably and promptly posted may be the single largest problem plaguing On Demand nowadays. There is clearly something lacking, whether lack of training, poor procedures, stress due to employee attrition, or something else that is never shared with us stakeholders.
Regular Visitor

And now, three days later (19Nov2018), S2/Ep7 of "The Resident" remains unlisted and unavailable for viewing (ditto for the corresponding episode of "9-1-1").

Could this be a local (i.e., West Palm Beach) issue? Is this some sort of payback for my condo association paying Comcast $10,000/month for our contract (Digital Starter Pack + HD)???

The Big Question: Do I skip MNF (Monday Night Football) and watch "9-1-1" and "The Resident" in their broadcast slots, or do I watch MNF and gamble (again) on Comcast's On-Demand providing them for me?

For those interested, I took the step (twice) of unplugging my settop box, waiting five minutes, then powering it back on. According to the on-screen messages, all software/apps/schedule|On-Demand content loaded without problem.

Sure, I could stream episodes of "The Resident" on my computer, but why would I do that? A 47" Vizio flat-screen TV beats the heck out of a 22" ASUS flat-screen computer monitor. SMH

Problem Solver

“Could this be a local (i.e., West Palm Beach) issue?“

No. Long experience has shown that when a show from a national network is missing from Comcast On Demand, it is missing for everyone. Or at least, missing for many areas of the country but I suspect it is the entire US of A.

P.S. Regarding 9-1-1, it’s latest episode is available in SD, but not HD. So you’re right about that being a problem too.
Regular Visitor

And... we can mark this "closed".

I spent -- literally -- five hours last Friday and Monday, on the telephone and via online chat, with a number of Comcast customer-service and technical-support staff, regarding this issue. They had me reboot the settop box (three times); they sent "refresh" signals to the settop box (twice); they had me speak with increasingly-capable individuals (twice) -- and finally... finally!... I was told what had happened: FOX pulled the episode. 

What the heck???

This couldn't have been told to me at the start? Was/is it something along the lines of "double-secret probation"? I'm gobsmacked.

And why -- after having broadcast the episode in the first place -- did FOX pull it from Comcast's On-Demand lineup? (and what kind of cockamammie agreement permits this arbitrary and unilateral behavior?)

Icing on the cake: S2/Ep8 of "The Resident" aired last night and, sure enough, it's already available for On-Demand viewing. How 'bout dat!

Expert

@JBHoren wrote:

And... we can mark this "closed".

I spent -- literally -- five hours last Friday and Monday, on the telephone and via online chat, with a number of Comcast customer-service and technical-support staff, regarding this issue. They had me reboot the settop box (three times); they sent "refresh" signals to the settop box (twice); they had me speak with increasingly-capable individuals (twice) -- and finally... finally!... I was told what had happened: FOX pulled the episode. 

What the heck???

This couldn't have been told to me at the start? Was/is it something along the lines of "double-secret probation"? I'm gobsmacked.

And why -- after having broadcast the episode in the first place -- did FOX pull it from Comcast's On-Demand lineup? (and what kind of cockamammie agreement permits this arbitrary and unilateral behavior?)

Icing on the cake: S2/Ep8 of "The Resident" aired last night and, sure enough, it's already available for On-Demand viewing. How 'bout dat!

Why would anyone waste 5 hours of employees' time over such a trivial subject when their time is needed to help people in areas where infastrusture has been damaged by fires, storms, etc?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!