Community Forum

What do I actually own when "buying" a movie

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

What do I actually own when "buying" a movie

If I "buy" a movie on Comcast, and subsequently leave Comcast, what happens to my movie "ownership" ?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: What do I actually own when "buying" a movie

I'm guessing it goes bye-bye?

Regular Contributor

Well, I can guess, too, but I'm not paying triple or more for a long rental, so I'm hoping someone "knows" for sure.

Official Employee

MrScott1 wrote:

If I "buy" a movie on Comcast, and subsequently leave Comcast, what happens to my movie "ownership" ?

From the Purchases FAQ

http://my.xfinity.com/purchases/faqs/

What happens to my purchases if I disconnect XFINITY service?

Viewing purchased titles on your TV requires a subscription to XFINITY TV service with access to XFINITY On Demand. If you disconnect all of your XFINITY services, you can continue to watch purchased titles on xfinitytv.comcast.net or on your mobile devices with the XFINTY On Demand Purchases app.

You will need your primary Comcast ID and password to access your purchases online or if you add a mobile device, so make sure you know your primary Comcast ID and password before disconnecting service. You will only be able to access your purchases with your primary Comcast ID (secondary ID’s will no longer work). If you had parental controls enabled, you will need to set them up again after you log in the first time after you disconnect. If you have forgotten your Primary Comcast ID, you can learn your primary ID and password here by entering your Comcast account number and street address or phone number or by using the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number: https://login.comcast.net/myaccount/lookup.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Thanks, Andrew. I guess I did not hunt the right places for that answer.

Official Employee

MrScott1 wrote:

Thanks, Andrew. I guess I did not hunt the right places for that answer.

You're welcome, no worries.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

If one truely 'owns' something, they can do with it whatever they want. If the Xfinity 'purchase' was really a purchase, then one should be able to download it onto their laptop/desktop computers without any proprietary devices, aps, etc. If one buys a CD, the only restriction is to have a CD player, or copy it to a thumb drive. I do not see any of these options in the answer. Their 'purchase' is sorta' like buying a pair of shoes, BUT you can only wear them with a pair of XFinity socks!

New Poster

I kind of figures this. No more purchases for us!
New Poster

I would like to download all of our purchased movies onto my laptop so I can watch them everywhere which in some cases happens to be where there is no wifi as in when we go camping, but apparently we can't do that ??

Is what ramac said;

If one truely 'owns' something, they can do with it whatever they want. If the Xfinity 'purchase' was really a purchase, then one should be able to download it onto their laptop/desktop computers without any proprietary devices, aps, etc. If one buys a CD, the only restriction is to have a CD player, or copy it to a thumb drive. I do not see any of these options in the answer. Their 'purchase' is sorta' like buying a pair of shoes, BUT you can only wear them with a pair of XFinity socks!

TRUE ??

Official Employee

ruralcarrier4x4 wrote: I would like to download all of our purchased movies onto my laptop so I can watch them everywhere which in some cases happens to be where there is no wifi as in when we go camping, but apparently we can't do that ??

Is what ramac said;

TRUE ??

Unfortunately that is not true you can only access the content by going through an Xfinity app or website. Also you can download the movie or TV show to any device and take it with you. 

New Poster

I have yet to purchase a digital video from anywhere because I do not know if you get to keep it or give it to someone or access it in the event you no longer do business with that company. So Not sure on comcast on demand or even Amazon digital movies. I prefer videos to purchase on a media sources like Blu ray, dvd, vhs, because then I can take it wherever, let any one borrow it, sell it, donate it, etc. The physical movie is mine as long as I don't violate copyright. So I will purchase used or new dvds and sell them or give them away. Also if I am no longer around, it becomes someone elses. I don't have enough information if I purchase a digital movie, Can I sell it if I remove my copy, can I give it to someone else, What happens if I am no longer around, if someone inherits my electronic device, are they allowed to have access or can they give away any digital conten if they delete it from their device. So yes digital may save space, but a lot of unanswered questions. Plus there is no used digital movies out there, so maybe they decrese in price as they get older and less popular. DVDS at a thrift store are a bargain. So wait a bit on new movies for better price and then shop second hand and re sell or donate if you don't want to keep it and watch it again.

Official Employee

What happens to my purchases if I disconnect XFINITY service?
Viewing purchased titles on your TV requires a subscription to XFINITY TV service with access to XFINITY On Demand. If you disconnect all of your XFINITY services, you can continue to watch purchased titles using the XFINITY Stream portal (www.xfinity.com/stream) and the XFINITY Stream app.

You will need your primary XFINITY username and password to access your purchases online or to add a mobile device. (Secondary XFINITY usernames will no longer work.)

• If you previously enabled Parental Controls, you will need to set them up again after you log in the first time after your disconnection.
  • If you have forgotten your primary XFINITY username, you can look it up by entering your Comcast account number and street address or phone number or by using the last four digits of your Social Security Number at https://login.comcast.net/myaccount/lookup.
  • If you have forgotten your password, you can reset your password by entering your primary XFINITY username and following the steps provided at this link: https://login.comcast.net/myaccount/reset.