Community Forum

TCM ON DEMAND SD titles are squeezed to postage stamp embedded in middle of letterbox

Regular Contributor

TCM ON DEMAND SD titles are squeezed to postage stamp embedded in middle of letterbox

Since Monday TCM  (Turner Cblassic Movies) SD titles IN ON DEMAND are squeezed to postage stamp embedded in middle of letterbox after intro. Thus, SD movies do not open to full screen. Senseless to watch.
Thus, could not watch “Lady from Shanghai” and other  SD titles on my SD 4:3 only TV!
This occured a few months ago and was ultimately fixed. THIS IS NOT OCCURRING WITH SD TITLES ON ANY OTHER ON DEMAND CHANNELS. ONLY TCM!

When will this be resolved? I pay too much for Comcast for TCM so I expect Comcast will promptly contact TCM to report this and and have fixed!

Thank you,

Stephen L

Regular Contributor

Re: TCM ON DEMAND SD titles are squeezed to postage stamp embedded in middle of letterbox

It is pure and simple a TCM problem.  I've (and am tired of doing) downloaded numerous SD (old pre wide screen era movies --mostly B movies from channels other than TCM. And each and every one fills entire 4:3 screen.  But that does not solve my problem with TCM titles impossible to watch.  I've notified Comcast (see above) who I pay plenty every month for TCM.  I reported to TCM and of course no reply.  So fed up.  Direct TV may be the only solution!

Official Employee

Re: TCM ON DEMAND SD titles are squeezed to postage stamp embedded in middle of letterbox

@SLannes wrote:

Since Monday TCM  (Turner Cblassic Movies) SD titles IN ON DEMAND are squeezed to postage stamp embedded in middle of letterbox after intro. Thus, SD movies do not open to full screen. Senseless to watch.
Thus, could not watch “Lady from Shanghai” and other  SD titles on my SD 4:3 only TV!
This occured a few months ago and was ultimately fixed. THIS IS NOT OCCURRING WITH SD TITLES ON ANY OTHER ON DEMAND CHANNELS. ONLY TCM!

When will this be resolved? I pay too much for Comcast for TCM so I expect Comcast will promptly contact TCM to report this and and have fixed!

Thank you,

Stephen L

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you reported above. As you surmised, this appears to be an issue with the source content delivered to us from TCM and their provider. 

Our On Demand team is working with TCM to confirm that this is not the proper expectation and will work to get this corrected as necessary. 

Thanks for reporting this here and thanks for your patience. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

Thank you,

Stephen L

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you reported above. As you surmised, this appears to be an issue with the source content delivered to us from TCM and their provider. 

Our On Demand team is working with TCM to confirm that this is not the proper expectation and will work to get this corrected as necessary. 

Thanks for reporting this here and thanks for your patience. 

As of Friday evening --------------- still not resolved.  Tried to watch SD version of  "Charge of the Light Brigade"  in On Demand.  Still postage stamp in middle of letter box.   I also tried "Battle Circus"  also 4:3 aspect ratio.  Both impossible to watch.  

I rely on Comcast for On Demand content presented in the same 4:3 ratio as when originally aired.  That is what I pay Comcast for!  Hence, when will ths be resolved?

S Lannes

Regular Contributor

RE: Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!    Best answer will be when I can again watch SD On Demand titles in lieu of watching initial airings at 5:15  AM etc. Or junking my  SD TV  to accomodate Comcast! No way! 

Regular Contributor

It will be a full week Monday that I have been unable to watch SD 4:3 On Demand titles on my SD TV.  I'd have to use binoculars to view tiny postage stamp movie in center of letterbox.     Tried numerous times last night again,. And gave up.  Since I pay Comcast for TCM on Demand content. SD ON DEMAND 4:3  I demand and expect a credit for each day  I can't use what I pay Comcast for. Ttitles of which majority are (pre wide screen classic movies such as:

Charge of the Light Brigade, The (1936)

Battle Circus (1953)

Lady From Shanghai, The (1948)

Gilda (1946)

Appointment in Tokyo (1946)b

Strangers on a Train (1951)

Executive Suite  (1954)

Queen Christina (1933

Mark of Zorro, The (1940)

If I went into a theater and movie shown was shruken -------------- I'd demand a refund!

Thus, again   I demand and expect a credit for each day  I can't use what I pay Comcast for.

ETC, ETC, ETC!

Stephen L

Regular Contributor

This morning after more futile attempts of trying to download TCM ON DEMAND SD content to open in full 4:3 screen I gave up.  I then noticed the 1981 SD 4:3 movie

Gallipoli was aired on MoviePlex.  Therefore I entered it in SEARCH and it opened in SD FULL SCREEN!  I then researched further and am now of the opinion Comcast is the reason TCM on Demand Movies won't open in SD full screen:

I demand and expect reduction in monthly already excessive Comcast bill for its failure to provide SD content in TCM On Demand.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/Why-does-Comcast-down-convert-MoviePLEX-from-HD-to-SD/td-p/...

S Lannes

Official Employee

@SLannes wrote:

This morning after more futile attempts of trying to download TCM ON DEMAND SD content to open in full 4:3 screen I gave up.  I then noticed the 1981 SD 4:3 movie

Gallipoli was aired on MoviePlex.  Therefore I entered it in SEARCH and it opened in SD FULL SCREEN!  I then researched further and am now of the opinion Comcast is the reason TCM on Demand Movies won't open in SD full screen:

I demand and expect reduction in monthly already excessive Comcast bill for its failure to provide SD content in TCM On Demand.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/Why-does-Comcast-down-convert-MoviePLEX-from-HD-to-SD/td-p/...

S Lannes

Apologies, I know our On Demand team is investigating the titles that you mentioned above to confirm the expected experience, and if necessary, new videos will need to be encoded and provided to us.  As I hear more, I will keep you updated. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

S Lannes

Apologies, I know our On Demand team is investigating the titles that you mentioned above to confirm the expected experience, and if necessary, new videos will need to be encoded and provided to us.  As I hear more, I will keep you updated. 

RE: On Demand team is investigating "the titles that you mentioned" above.   Of course, On Demand titles EXPIRE.  Thus, it must be  a resolution so that all SD version titles will open to full screen as they did before.  Not, just the above expiring and expired  titles.   I'm not going to waste my time photographing and sending jpeg of The Best Years Of Our Lives  (1946) that aired yesterday. 

S Lannes 

Official Employee

@SLannes wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

S Lannes

RE: On Demand team is investigating "the titles that you mentioned" above.   Of course, On Demand titles EXPIRE.  Thus, it must be  a resolution so that all SD version titles will open to full screen as they did before.  Not, just the above expiring and expired  titles.   I'm not going to waste my time photographing and sending jpeg of The Best Years Of Our Lives  (1946) that aired yesterday. 

S Lannes 

Understood. Apologies again.

Our On Demand team is looking at all the TCM titles, but certainly started focusing on the ones that you took the time to call out.  Our team is certainly aware and has viewed the issue firsthand and have shared that with TCM.  No need to photograph and send additional jpeg files. 

As an explanation, if the On Demand video files are not as TCM intended, then these video files for On Demand need to be re-encoded and resent to us. For On Demand, we pass along the video content in the same format as was delivered to us.  That may take some time and it's up to TCM if they want to do that and what the timetable may be.   

We have made TCM aware of your observation and they are reviewing the situation with their content.

As soon as we get a response from TCM, I will gladly provide an update here. 

Thanks for your continued patience.  

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

S Lannes

S Lannes 

Our On Demand team is looking at all the TCM titles, but certainly started focusing on the ones that you took the time to call out.  Our team is certainly aware and has viewed the issue firsthand and have shared that with TCM.  No need to photograph and send additional jpeg files. 

As an explanation, if the On Demand video files are not as TCM intended, then these video files for On Demand need to be re-encoded and resent to us. For On Demand, we pass along the video content in the same format as was delivered to us.  That may take some time and it's up to TCM if they want to do that and what the timetable may be.   

We have made TCM aware of your observation and they are reviewing the situation with their content.

As you may be aware  all TCM On Demand titles are offered in both SD and HD versions.  When I download a non wide screen title on my HD TV no problem ---- opens perfect with black borders on left and right . But, if it is the SD version for my non HD SD 4:3 TV that is the problem that commenced last week. Postage stamp picture embedded in letterbox. 

Stephen L

Regular Contributor

@SLannes wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

S Lannes

S Lannes 

As you may be aware  all TCM On Demand titles are offered in both SD and HD versions.  When I download a non wide screen title on my HD TV no problem ---- opens perfect with black borders on left and right . But, if it is the SD version for my non HD SD 4:3 TV that is the problem that commenced last week. Postage stamp picture embedded in letterbox. 

Stephen L

RE:  TCM On Demand titles are offered in both SD and HD versions.   See attached.  HD version of course won't download  to MY SD TV.   But, again HD version works perfect on my HD TV.  

sd or hd.JPG
Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

S Lannes

S Lannes 

Hoping Comcast/TCM might have resolved fiasco I just tried to download to my SD 4:3 TV SD version of The Seventh Victim (1943) NO SUCH LUCK.  What infuriates me in addition to useless to watch tiny picture is the FORD and or TOYOTA ads (commercials) that precede  movie THAT OPEN IN "FULL SCREEN"  

I ASSERT WHOEVER IS RESPONSIBLE, COMCAST AND/OR TCM FOR "FULL SCREEN" AUTO ADS SHOULD CONSIDER COMCAST CUSTOMERS WHO PAY COMCAST FOR TCM ON DEMAND FULL SD SCREEN CONTENT NOT AUTO ADS!  

S. Lannes

Regular Contributor

RE: We have made TCM aware of your observation and they are reviewing the situation with their content.

Perhaps advising TCM to utilize their abilty to provide full SD screen AUTO ADS ----------------apply the same treatment to TCM On Demand SD movies for COMCAST PAYING CUSTOMERS!  

Regular Contributor

I  hoped, once again, COMCAST who I pay for TCM SD ON DEMAND content would have, (Week TWO now) fixed SD On Demand.   So I tried LADY FROM SHANGHAI  again.   And per my prior postings.  Full screen opened with:  

Lady From Shanghai postage stamped in letter box.JPG
Regular Contributor

@SLannes wrote:

I  hoped, once again, COMCAST who I pay for TCM SD ON DEMAND content would have, (Week TWO now) fixed SD On Demand.   So I tried LADY FROM SHANGHAI  again.   And per my prior postings.  Full screen opened with:  

HONDA AD FULL SCREEN.JPG
Regular Contributor

More of Honda ad

MORE OF HONDA AD.JPG
Regular Contributor

I could not get all three photos in one posting.   But, again Lady from Shanghai  SD version opened with HONDA ad IN FULL SCREEN and then postage stamp embedded  Lady from Shanghai followed. Still unwatchable.  

If this is not going to be resolved please advise.  I am fed up!    I'm not interested in a  Honda.  I want what I pay Comcast for TCM SD ON DEMAND movies!

S Lannes

HONDA AD FULL SCREEN.JPG
Official Employee

Apologies.  As mentioned earlier,  we have made TCM aware of your observation and they are reviewing the situation with their content.

Unfortunately, the content has not yet been replaced and the TCM movies will remain in the current state until they are replaced by TCM.    

As an explanation, if the On Demand video files are not as TCM intended, then these video files for On Demand need to be re-encoded and resent to us. For On Demand, we pass along the video content in the same format as was delivered to us.

That process may take some time and it's up to TCM if they want to do that and what the timetable may be.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

Apologies.  As mentioned earlier,  we have made TCM aware of your observation and they are reviewing the situation with their content.

Unfortunately, the content has not yet been replaced and the TCM movies will remain in the current state until they are replaced by TCM.    

As an explanation, if the On Demand video files are not as TCM intended, then these video files for On Demand need to be re-encoded and resent to us. For On Demand, we pass along the video content in the same format as was delivered to us.

That process may take some time and it's up to TCM if they want to do that and what the timetable may be.

1. RE:  That process may take some time and it's up to TCM if they want to do that and what the timetable may be. Then  issue a credit for my inability to use SD TCM On Demand titles which are unwatchable.

2.  I presume the Honda ads which open to full screen are inserted by TCM.  If so, perhaps TCM and/or Comcast derive advertising revenue from Honda.  But,  Comcast derives revenue from its customers for TCM On Demand content.   I trust Comcast has advised TCM of this fact.

This is a totally unacceptable disruption in what I expect from Comcast and pay for!

Stephen L

Regular Contributor

@SLannes wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

1. RE:  That process may take some time and it's up to TCM if they want to do that and what the timetable may be. Then  issue a credit for my inability to use SD TCM On Demand titles which are unwatchable.

2.  I presume the Honda ads which open to full screen are inserted by TCM.  If so, perhaps TCM and/or Comcast derive advertising revenue from Honda.  But,  Comcast derives revenue from its customers for TCM On Demand content.   I trust Comcast has advised TCM of this fact.

This is a totally unacceptable disruption in what I expect from Comcast and pay for!

Stephen L

Need answers to 1 and 2.

Stephen L

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

A rarity classic On the air now
Old Dark House, The (1932)5:00 PM
BW-72 mins,

However, I wiil not be able to watch SD On Demand full screen  version tonight.  Unless, it consists of  udated encoding mntioned above .  I'm hoping it is when I try after the Honda full screen commercial.

Regular Contributor

@SLannes wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

BW-72 mins,

However, I wiil not be able to watch SD On Demand full screen  version tonight.  Unless, it consists of  udated encoding mntioned above .  I'm hoping it is when I try after the Honda full screen commercial.

UPDATE AFTER TRYING LATE LAST NIGHT (10/17):

Not resolved!  Opened to full screen HONDA commercial and then same SD letterbox with squeezed postage stamp of movie 'Old Dark House' I really wanted to see. So turned off and deleted.    I'm now looking into options since tired of paying for Comcast for TCM On Demand.  Prior problems with TCM (out of sync audio and video)  were promptly resolved by Comcast alerting TCM who fixed!   I have now given up!  Will try to escalate.

Official Employee

@SLannes wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

BW-72 mins,

Not resolved!  Opened to full screen HONDA commercial and then same SD letterbox with squeezed postage stamp of movie 'Old Dark House' I really wanted to see. So turned off and deleted.    I'm now looking into options since tired of paying for Comcast for TCM On Demand.  Prior problems with TCM (out of sync audio and video)  were promptly resolved by Comcast alerting TCM who fixed!   I have now given up!  Will try to escalate.

Apologies. It is not resolved because TCM has not yet resent the new files. Once that part is in progress I will certainly let you know. 

Our On Demand teams and TCM are well aware of the issue. The right people and teams are in the loop and have been in the loop since your initial post late last week. 

As you pointed out, this issue is not specific to Comcast and is apparent on other video providers as well.  Not a great story and still a problem that we need to solve with TCM for our customers,  but they are the ones that own the resolution to this problem. 

We continue to work with them on delivery.   

Thanks as always for your patience. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

BW-72 mins,

Apologies. It is not resolved because TCM has not yet resent the new files. Once that part is in progress I will certainly let you know. 

Our On Demand teams and TCM are well aware of the issue. The right people and teams are in the loop and have been in the loop since your initial post late last week. 

As you pointed out, this issue is not specific to Comcast and is apparent on other video providers as well.  Not a great story and still a problem that we need to solve with TCM for our customers,  but they are the ones that own the resolution to this problem. 

In reviewing my postings in TCM's forums ------------ this same SD On Demand problem  occured in July of this year and was quickly resolved. Perhaps Comcast's records will reveal reports of incident.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

BW-72 mins,

FYI: I just opened HD On Demand version of  "The Old Dark House" on my HD TV and immediately observed no HONDA automobile ad preceding movie as occurs on SD version (which opens full screen before useless tiny postage stamp title embedded in letterbox).  Perhaps that is reason for SD version useless.  Maybe Comcast can request TCM delete HONDA ad on SD version (and  all SD On Demand titles) to see if that resolves. 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

BW-72 mins,

RE:  We continue to work with them on delivery.    

Still no resolution!  In fact situation is worse as of yesterday Sunday  10/21.  The following two titles Patterns (1956) and The Hunted (1948) both aired Saturday (10/20) are in ON DEMAND but only HD versions.  No SD versions.  I advised TCM in its Contact Us box.  Of course no reply!  I realize if they were in SD would still be postage stamp in center of letterbox.  As lousy as title would look after only HONDA ad opens in full screen  (as with all other SD titles for two weeks now) is better than nothing.  

Since it appears only Comcast works with TCM ( per above We continue to work with them on delivery.  

Please advise progress on both other SD titles (of course, some are now expired) and this new exasperation of problem.  

I pay Comcast  for TCM in both HD for my HD TV and SD  for my 4:3 SD TV.     I expect credit for now two full weeks (14 days) of useless TCM SD On Demand titles.  Being October 8 to October 22!

Thank you

S Lannes

Expert

Your post on 10/16/18, 9:20pm, finally shows the problem you have viewing some old movies supplied by TMC channel  for viewing on Comcast "On Demand", using your SD television.

The problem is caused by the way a technician at TMC prepared the movie sent to Comcast for viewing on "On Demand". It looks like he just made a video recording of the old movie by filming it off a HD television monitor (horizontal bars). He then inserted new commercials the correct way.

The resulting copy of the movie sent to Comcast is totally unwatchable and unacceptable as you first posted. "Postage stamp size" is a bit of an exaggeration in title. I would hope that Comcast could help to get TMC to send an acceptable product, and not leave something unusable on "On Demand".

As for a "credit" on your bill, we all would like that when  favorite channel disappears, or mistakes happen. It's not going to happen. Smiley Sad

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Re: is better than nothing but have not been downloaded

@SLannes wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

BW-72 mins,

RE:  We continue to work with them on delivery.    

Still no resolution!  In fact situation is worse as of yesterday Sunday  10/21.  The following two titles Patterns (1956) and The Hunted (1948) both aired Saturday (10/20) are in ON DEMAND but only HD versions.  No SD versions.  I advised TCM in its Contact Us box.  Of course no reply!  I realize if they were in SD would still be postage stamp in center of letterbox.  As lousy as title would look after only HONDA ad opens in full screen  (as with all other SD titles for two weeks now) is better than nothing.  

Since it appears only Comcast works with TCM ( per above We continue to work with them on delivery.  

RE:   is better than nothing.   But, as of this morning (10/23) neither title is available in SD. 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED!

Official Employee

@SLannes wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED!

Apologies, that should have read as “Best Answer”, which is certainly not the same as “Solution”. I have removed that label.

Apologies. To set proper expectations, it doesn't sound like TCM is going to re-deliver the movies that were previously delivered based on timing,  content expiration dates (based on licensing) and other factors. That is their decision to make.

TCM has been made aware of the issue that you observed and reported.

Checking on The Hunted and Patterns availability in SD on our platform and what the expectations are. 

Thanks for your patience.  

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED!

Apologies, that should have read as “Best Answer”, which is certainly not the same as “Solution”. I have removed that label.

Apologies. To set proper expectations, it doesn't sound like TCM is going to re-deliver the movies that were previously delivered based on timing,  content expiration dates (based on licensing) and other factors. That is their decision to make.

TCM has been made aware of and they have seen the issue that you observed and reported.

Checking on The Hunted and Patterns availability in SD on our platform and what the expectations are. 

RE: The Hunted.  HAS NOW EXPIRED!   

Expert

@SLannes

If TCM isn't fixing their delievery problem before a title expires it's not Comcast's fault since it's been reported, and getting irritated with ComcastTeds is pretty useless because he's done all he can on his end.

We understand you're frustrated over this, and TCM is aware of the problem.  Your best bet is to just report when there is a problem and then politely, occasionally, ask if there is an update.

Going forward, you might also want to contact TCM about the problem and work with them in some capacity to solve the problem.

TCM: Reporting Technical Issues

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Re: Checking on The Hunted and Patterns availability in SD on our platform

Checking on The Hunted and Patterns  availability in SD on our platform and what the expectations are.  

I tried again contacting  TCM.  Useless ---they never reply with an answer.  

Expert

@SLannes wrote:

Checking on The Hunted and Patterns  availability in SD on our platform and what the expectations are.  

I checked out the TCM listing of free films. I like watching these old movies at times. On newer digital televisions the picture is better than watching them 20+ years ago on a analog television.

There is a difference in quality of the picture if you watch the HD version on at least a 720p television. A 32 inch 720p television can be purchased for around $100. You never mentioned on the size tv screen you watch these films on in SD.

Even in HD, these old movies are filmed (4:3) so the back vertical bars are there. But the old black and white pictures are sharper and easier to watch on the HD version. It also seems you have gotten into the habit of just checking the list of movies (100+) and just complaining anytime one of them does not have both SD and HD copies. I can watch either copy. HD is preferred but SD will work too.

With so many movies to choose from, just watch one of the others until an SD copy shows up. Or replace the tv and watch whatever copy shows up first. Smiley Wink

Official Employee

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED!

TCM has been made aware of and they have seen the issue that you observed and reported.

Apologies for the delay in responding. The team at TCM (and also Comcast engineers) reviewed your concern, reviewed the SD movies in question and reported that the SD movies were encoded, delivered and showing as designed and as expected.  Thanks for your patience while the teams conducted a thorough review. 

I wanted to also address this - The referenced Honda ad that fills the screen was made in 2018 whereas the movies in question were all produced pre-1960; the format of the referenced Honda ad is not a factor in or a correlation of the featured SD movie display.    

As a measure of goodwill, we have arranged to obtain DVDs of most all of the movies that you reported an issue with and will get those shipped to you once they arrive  - with our compliments. 

We do have an open case with TCM on "The Hunted" and "Patterns" availability in SD on our On Demand platform and what the expectations are.  The SD and HD movies are separate files and occasionally there can be delays or re-deliveries on one version or another based on quality control, technical review and other factors.

Regular Contributor

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

I checked out the TCM listing of free films. I like watching these old movies at times. On newer digital televisions the picture is better than watching them 20+ years ago on a analog television.

There is a difference in quality of the picture if you watch the HD version on at least a 720p television. A 32 inch 720p television can be purchased for around $100. You never mentioned on the size tv screen you watch these films on in SD.

Even in HD, these old movies are filmed (4:3) so the back vertical bars are there. But the old black and white pictures are sharper and easier to watch on the HD version. It also seems you have gotten into the habit of just checking the list of movies (100+) and just complaining anytime one of them does not have both SD and HD copies. I can watch either copy. HD is preferred but SD will work too.

With so many movies to choose from, just watch one of the others until an SD copy shows up. Or replace the tv and watch whatever copy shows up first. Smiley Wink

It is a 32" TV but plays SD content only.  Plays all video full screen except as discussed TCM On Demand files.  I have another TV an HD TV.   I am not going to replace SD TV  End of dicussion and thank you for your suggestions.

Expert

It is a 32" TV but plays SD content only.  Plays all video full screen except as discussed TCM On Demand files.  I have another TV an HD TV.   I am not going to replace SD TV  End of dicussion and thank you for your suggestions.

------------------

This post now being closed.

Official Employee

@SLannes wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

Thread is locked, provided the response below as well via e-mail and PM (Private Message): 

Apologies. Turner provided a response to us which I posted in this thread. I certainly understand that you may not agree with or like the response that TCM provided. From their perspective, this is working as designed - and perhaps it’s bad design, but that’s up to TCM. They have been made aware of the experience and feedback that you have provided.

From reviewing your account, it also appears that you have our legacy cable boxes; you are not on our newer X1 platform.

We haven’t made any changes to our legacy platform in many years and we don’t have any plans to. X1 is certainly not a requirement but I believe that your overall experience would be greatly improved with our X1 platform – there is no additional cost to have that experience (including on-screen poster art and a voice search feature).

We can set up a free professional installation or we can ship you replacement boxes or you can stop by the local Comcast location (listed below) to swap out your equipment.

580 RIVER STREET
SANTA CRUZ, CA 95060

HOURS
MON - SAT: 9:00AM - 7:00PM
SUN: 10:00AM - 5:00PM

The Motorola DCT 2000 SD cable box I see listed on our account is at least 10 years old and is considered by Comcast to be end of life (we don’t typically put those boxs into customer’s homes any more).

There may be some settings that you can change on the SD cable box to have the video fill more of the screen. The below may assist. I don’t have an SD TV set nearby to test this myself.

Step 1: Access the User Settings Menu
1. To access the User Settings Menu, power On your TV and power Off the box.
2. Press the Menu (or Xfinity) button on either your remote or the box front panel to call up the on-screen menu. You may use either the front panel or remote to navigate the menu.
3. Press the up-down arrow buttons to select the setting you wish to change. Press the right-left arrow buttons to select an option for that setting. To exit the setting and move to another
setting, use the up-down arrow buttons.

Step 2: Set Your Preference for Watching Wide-Screen TV

The first user setting, referred to as “TV Type,” tells the box what type of TV you have and how you prefer to watch wide-screen programming.

For standard-screen TVs, choose either of the following two options:
>> 4:3 Pan Scan (wide-screen programming is cropped to fill your screen).
>> 4:3 Letterbox (wide-screen programming will appear in its entirety with black bands on the top and bottom of the TV screen).

For wide-screen TVs, choose 16:9.

Step 3: Set Picture Resolution from Box to TV

The next setting is referred to as Y Pb Pr OUTPUT and indicates the picture resolution output from the box to your TV. The choices are 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i.
For most standard TVs, the appropriate setting is 480i. Choose 480p for enhanced definition TVs. For HDTVs, choose either 720p or 1080i. Refer to your TV owner’s manual
and choose the setting that indicates the highest picture resolution your television will support.

Step 4: Set 4:3 Override

This setting provides the ability to specify how 4:3 standard definition programs are displayed on your TV. The choices are OFF, 480i, 480p, or stretch.
For most standard TVs, this should be set to OFF (the box will default to the resolution selected in the previous setting).

For HDTVs, the appropriate setting is either 480i, 480p, or stretch. If you have a wide-screen TV and select the stretch setting, 4:3 programs will automatically be stretched to a
wide-screen 16:9 aspect ratio and display video in the format you specified in Step 3. Consult your HDTV owner’s manual to determine the appropriate setting.

Step 5: Save Your Settings
Press the Power button on your box or your remote to exit the menu and save your settings.
*If the on-screen menu does not appear on your TV screen, your TV may not support the default setting. Use the front panel LED to view and change your settings.
Use the up and down arrows to navigate categories and the left and right arrows to navigate within categories.

Official Employee

@SLannes wrote:

Both of these films in SD are now expected to be available on our On Demand platform. Thanks for your patience. 

Contributor

the same thing is  happening again with tcm on demand! how does sone contact tcm to fix this?

Regular Contributor

@art3 wrote:

the same thing is  happening again with tcm on demand! how does sone contact tcm to fix this?

You  can report it to TCM in their CONTACT US  box. But they will not reply. I've done so often but given up. As for Comcast, they merely reply stating they provide content TCM submits.