Community Forum

TCM Not Appearing On Demand Free Movies Section

Regular Visitor

Re: TCM Not Appearing On Demand Free Movies Section

I am sooooooo disappointed in this problem. As of now, there is no TCM on the bands of "by network" selections. Will we be receiving a refund or adjustment in our billing for this service interruption in our subscription?

Official Employee

@athena14 wrote:

Still no TCM On Demand movies on Comcast this morning.  

Apologies that this is still an issue. The content expected last night from TCM failed again when they attempted to get us the movies. We have identified what the issue is and have communicated that to TCM and their vendor so that they can correct.

I do know that the teams are continuing to work this issue.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@athena14 wrote:

Still no TCM On Demand movies on Comcast this morning.  

Apologies that this is still an issue. The content expected last night from TCM failed again when they attempted to get us the movies. We have identified what the issue is and have communicated that to TCM and their vendor so that they can correct.

I do know that the teams are continuing to work this issue.  

Just to provide another update. Turner/TCM and their vendor discovered another issue preventing their content to be sent to us. It is affecting all cable operators and is a high priority on the TCM side to resolve. All teams are actively working to resolve and hope to deliver as soon as they can.

Thanks for your ongoing patience. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

TCM On Demand

What is the projected date when TCM On Demand will be available again?

Frequent Visitor

Sorry, didn't see this continued on next page.
Valued Contributor

Bearhead-

I have sent you a private message regarding your concern.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Wondering if Comcast has an update on when this technical issue with TCM will be resolved.  One film was listed yesterday and another within the last hour or so, both expiring on the 19th.  They usually have a dozen or more films listed.  Thank you.

Official Employee

@mabel09 wrote:

Wondering if Comcast has an update on when this technical issue with TCM will be resolved.  One film was listed yesterday and another within the last hour or so, both expiring on the 19th.  They usually have a dozen or more films listed.  Thank you.

Apologies. I did get an update recently from our team that is working with TCM and their vendor on this. We do expect up to 20 movies from TCM to be available once TCM and their vendor can deliver them to us. TCM is well aware of the impact that this issue is having. I don't yet have a good ETA to provide.     

As mentioned earlier, Turner/TCM and their vendor discovered multiple issues preventing their content to be sent to us. It is affecting multiple cable operators and is a high priority on the TCM side to resolve. All teams are actively working to resolve and hope to deliver as soon as they can.

Thanks for your ongoing patience. 

Contributor

Thanks very much for the input.  Despite many posters going to the TCM.com boards to ask about this on multiple threads, TCM submitted no further responses after a few initial replies of "we'll look into it" when the problem originally began on/about April 2.  This leaves you as the default resource for status updates, even though the glitches are with TCM.  Your timely replies are appreciated.  Thanks again.

Official Employee
Moved:

Official Employee

All - Thanks again for your ongoing patience as we worked with TCM and their vendor to get the TCM On Demand movies back. There are several movies now available and additional films expected soon. Below are available now.  

Juke Girl (1942) 
One Man’s Journey (1933) 
The Thrill of Brazil (1946)
Treasure Island (1934)
Young Dr. Kildare (1938)

Frequent Visitor

Comcast Ted, While I appreciate your updates and list of movies on TCM and explainations of what is going on with Encore/Starz and  TCM lists of on Demand moviews,  it's just not enough. What I see concerning Comcast On Demand movies is a "down grade" in my opinion and I for one am done with Comcast. For years I have had att internet and phone but chose to stay with Comcast and pay extra because I enjoyed so much the On Demand choices and generous list of movies especially the old classics on TCM. Now, the list is minimal and lacking to say the least on both Encore and TCM. Encore used to have a large list of movies to chose from but  now very limited in the new Starz format which is terrible and TCM, well all I can say is very poor. I am a senior citizen and enjoy movies without commercials especially the classics as entertainment. While our bills go up the choices go down and it is very poor. Sorry comcast, while I hate to do it, I must call Att Uverse and change. I will save around 60. a month bundling and recieve more. I am done. Very unhappy customer.

@ComcastTeds wrote:

All - Thanks again for your ongoing patience as we worked with TCM and their vendor to get the TCM On Demand movies back. There are several movies now available and additional films expected soon. Below are available now.  

Juke Girl (1942) 
One Man’s Journey (1933) 
Treasure Island (1934)
Young Dr. Kildare (1938)

Expert

@llelian wrote:

Comcast Ted, While I appreciate your updates and list of movies on TCM and explainations of what is going on with Encore/Starz and  TCM lists of on Demand moviews,  it's just not enough. What I see concerning Comcast On Demand movies is a "down grade" in my opinion and I for one am done with Comcast. For years I have had att internet and phone but chose to stay with Comcast and pay extra because I enjoyed so much the On Demand choices and generous list of movies especially the old classics on TCM. Now, the list is minimal and lacking to say the least on both Encore and TCM. Encore used to have a large list of movies to chose from but  now very limited in the new Starz format which is terrible and TCM, well all I can say is very poor. I am a senior citizen and enjoy movies without commercials especially the classics as entertainment. While our bills go up the choices go down and it is very poor. Sorry comcast, while I hate to do it, I must call Att Uverse and change. I will save around 60. a month bundling and recieve more. I am done. Very unhappy customer.

@ComcastTeds wrote:

Juke Girl (1942) 
One Man’s Journey (1933) 
Treasure Island (1934)
Young Dr. Kildare (1938)

Comcast has nothing to do with the content available on On Demand.  That comes from the stations themselves.

For a larger selection of movies from TCM, download and install the Watch TCM app.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Yes, TCM is back on Comcast but the selection is limited and terrible and the worst is Comcast is now putting commercials before the movies, mostly their commercials but also one had a toothpaste commercial. What the heck is going on at TCM and Comcast??? Has it been bought out by someone else??? whoever is picking the On Demand movies is doing a lousy job..they are awful and not many choices. Is everyone gone on vacation ?? really Bad, Bad, Bad..I am ready to cancel my cable all together besides switching to Uverse. I don't know who is at fault. Very disappointed TCM/comcast fan. And..Again..I do not want to watch movies on my small computer..if that was the case I would have cancelled you guys a long time ago. Why pay if I can stream from my computer? How about you guys offering more/going back to what was offered a month ago?

Silver Problem Solver

Before saying you will move to Uverse over this, see if you know somebody who already has Uverse to see if it's any better. It sounds like the root of this issue is with TCM, and it's affecting other systems, too.

Official Employee

@llelian wrote:

Yes, TCM is back on Comcast but the selection is limited and terrible and the worst is Comcast is now putting commercials before the movies, mostly their commercials but also one had a toothpaste commercial. What the heck is going on at TCM and Comcast??? Has it been bought out by someone else??? whoever is picking the On Demand movies is doing a lousy job..they are awful and not many choices. Is everyone gone on vacation ?? really Bad, Bad, Bad..I am ready to cancel my cable all together besides switching to Uverse. I don't know who is at fault. Very disappointed TCM/comcast fan. And..Again..I do not want to watch movies on my small computer..if that was the case I would have cancelled you guys a long time ago. Why pay if I can stream from my computer? How about you guys offering more/going back to what was offered a month ago?

TCM chooses what movies and for how long to make them available On Demand. There are now 14 programs available from TCM.

Thanks again for your patience while TCM and their vendor worked to get the movies delivered.

Burnt Offerings (1976)

663 Squadron (1964)
Nosferatu (1922)

Treasure Island (1934)

Young Dr. Kildare (1938)

The Big Cube (1969)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

One Man's Journey (1933)

Girl Crazy (1943) 
Presenting Lily Mars (1943) 

Juke Girl (1942) 

Faust (1926)

From Caligari To Hitler (2014) 

Frequent Visitor

@andyross wrote:

Before saying you will move to Uverse over this, see if you know somebody who already has Uverse to see if it's any better. It sounds like the root of this issue is with TCM, and it's affecting other systems, too.

I'm sure you are correct, no better on other cable companies..ie Uverse. But I would at least save money each month. I might as well pay less for less. I guess this is my cue to get up off the couch and stop watching so much TV. Plenty to do, spring cleaning, gardening, reading. And to Comcast Ted..I am well aware of the list of movies now available on On Demand TCM..that is what I am complaining about and understand it's TCM who puts them out. I have also complained directly to them as well. ..not that it does any good. evidently all are gone for the summer and one of the summer employees are choosing the bad pictures. How about you guys giving us "free" HBO, Starz for awhile to ease the pain of us old classic addicts? Thanks for all the info and response.

Official Employee

@llelian wrote:

@andyross wrote:

I'm sure you are correct, no better on other cable companies..ie Uverse. But I would at least save money each month. I might as well pay less for less. I guess this is my cue to get up off the couch and stop watching so much TV. Plenty to do, spring cleaning, gardening, reading. And to Comcast Ted..I am well aware of the list of movies now available on On Demand TCM..that is what I am complaining about and understand it's TCM who puts them out. I have also complained directly to them as well. ..not that it does any good. evidently all are gone for the summer and one of the summer employees are choosing the bad pictures. How about you guys giving us "free" HBO, Starz for awhile to ease the pain of us old classic addicts? Thanks for all the info and response.

Also posted the list above for others who may be following the thread. 

You are in luck - lots of shows and programs available this week during Watchathon! 

More info here:  http://www.xfinitywatchathonhq.com/

and here: http://www.xfinitywatchathonhq.com/what-is-watchathon.php

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@llelian wrote:

@andyross wrote:

Also posted the list above for others who may be following the thread. 

You are in luck - lots of shows and programs available this week during Watchathon! 

More info here:  http://www.xfinitywatchathonhq.com/

and here: http://www.xfinitywatchathonhq.com/what-is-watchathon.php

Thank you for the info.

New Poster

Re: TCM om Demand

4-30-2016:  it is like the xfinity apps "programmers" were so busy getting lousy stations to play their On Demand shows that they forgot about the most popular (and growing) cable TV station offered:  TCM, owned by ted turner.  it is the highest quality TV channel and i have it on almost 24/7.  i called and called, telling them they should go to tcm.com ON THE INTERNET to notice the "watch tcm" tab at the top of the screen so that they could listen to mr malkowicz explain how to be able to watch it on our tv sets as well as auxiliary devices.  the customer serice reps, even at upper level, said they do not get the internet (!!!), but only their xfinity closed system.  level II said she was not able to help me and told me that she had to send over a technician.  that's time.  which equals my money.  we are already paying top $$$ to get TCM!  the tech tried to de-focus me when i SHOWED him the Watch TCM section by telling me that it is FOR OTHER DEVICES!  i said to him, why do so many people go out to waste good money on huge flat screen/smart television sets?  it is because they want to watch TV while they do the couch potato thingie--they do not want to watch TV on a smart phone or tablet or on their computer systems, where they are not comfortable.  why did i have to explain that to a tech.  then comcast had the audacity to slap a "educate customer" technician visit fee on my account! 

the watch tcm worked very well with the OLD comcast xfinity cable boxes.  it does not work at all on the new X1 box.  it is as though the programmers, just out of college who will say that they can program in any language (even though they never took a single class in it) are hired on the cheap, and that they were sitting at terminals, in an office chair, when they programmed cable TV (particularly the TV series, which for the most part, are lousy) for the X1 box that had happened to almost get pushed on me, with features that never existed, but had been promised to me by comcast.  like, d'uh, they told me that the x1 would be able to be programmed for a vision impaired person such as myself (now, why would i want to watch a classic from TCM on anything other than the television set when my vision is bad???) so that there would be a larger font size!  now we get a screen we are not able to even read unless you walk up to the TV screen no more than 18" away from it, which is how i figured out that the dumbed down lying "programmers" simply HAD to be sitting at a terminal, close to a screen/monitor, and they paid no attention to the primary reason we pay for cable TV!  it is to watch good shows on OUR TELEVISION SETS! 

watch tcm had FAR BETTER movie reviews, more comprehensive, and including genre, than do this dumb reviewing from rotten tomatoes, which i suppose all those youngster "programmers" rely upon BEFORE comcast xfinity convinced me and us to get a new, wonderful, X1 box.  (it's so hip to see little icons of tomotoes, i guess.)

why did i have to SHOW the tech what i meant with the problems using my own computer?  why did he charge me for "customer education" when i know more than they do?  i educated HIM!  why don't the tech reps on the phone have access to the internet so that they can see what you and i see?  don't we give them enough $$$?  

this whole trick is appalling and i told the reps that i am ready at the end of my contract to hire anothe company.  i always mean what i say.  i can get great ISP service and cable that will not cause me to jump through hoops to watch tcm  ON MY TELEVISION set, while i will be able to even read the font face of the reviews from no more than 15 feet away from the TV.  

watching watch tcm on another device other than a TV set is for little fun as you go to and from your office, or can get away with it in your cubicle, whereas most of the lazy bums that sit in them are so dumbed down these days that they don't realize they could turn their monitor into a TV, which is a monitor! 

and why did the rep tell me that the issue would go first to headquarters, where they had better fix the problem pdq, since i am sure xfinity is in breech of contract with tcm, owned by ted turner, who is not broke so that he couldn't sue the pants off xfinity.  and then, he said, it will head on over to silicon valley.  but why should we be forced to wait for all that before those little children "programmers" at least try to use the x1 box from no less than 15 feet from them, like a television set is from the couch, not only 5" max from their faces, as though they are sitting at a monitor in their "programming" cubes? 

i am furious about this issue.  as i am sure most of you are.  do you think comcast xfinity will get furious if they get a knock on the door by the FCC and the district attorney office of fraud of different states, or if they are served with a summons to appear at court to get sued by tcm?  or do you think they can hurry up and get it fixed?  i'd do the latter, if i were running xfinity! 

Frequent Visitor

Ok, I did some research..I too am upset with what is happening with Comcast/TCM and on demand. I kept asking TCM..has it been sold?? what is happening? Well, in my research I found out it is TRUE! TCM/Turner Broadcasting/TimeWarner has in fact been recently sold. Interestingly enough Comcast tried a while back to purchase Time warner but the FCC or whatever it is.objected for whatever reason and comcast backed off but recently a company called Charter purchased them. Now Charter is a company in competiton with Comcast but not yet in Florida. Same type business as Comcast.soooo I see the writting on the wall..no more TCM on comcast? dont know if they can purchase from Charter or not. Can only hope Charter will come into the Florida area. Dont know how all of this will affect Comcast and TCM but it doesn't look good or how Charter purchasing them will affect TCM. can only wait and see. My thought about it being a huge TCM fan..I too leave my tv on TCM most of the time..is to purchase the cord or cable that attaches to my computer and then to tv and stream into my tv..if I can figure out how it works OR..I have hundreds of old movies on dvd and just watch them and forget comcast and cable..will save me money..and wait and see if charter comes to Florida. Progress sometimes is bad! I will miss Robert Osborne and malkowicz with all their knowledge on the movies though. Sad.

Official Employee

@llelian wrote:

Ok, I did some research..I too am upset with what is happening with Comcast/TCM and on demand. I kept asking TCM..has it been sold?? what is happening? Well, in my research I found out it is TRUE! TCM/Turner Broadcasting/TimeWarner has in fact been recently sold. Interestingly enough Comcast tried a while back to purchase Time warner but the FCC or whatever it is.objected for whatever reason and comcast backed off but recently a company called Charter purchased them. Now Charter is a company in competiton with Comcast but not yet in Florida. Same type business as Comcast.soooo I see the writting on the wall..no more TCM on comcast? dont know if they can purchase from Charter or not. Can only hope Charter will come into the Florida area. Dont know how all of this will affect Comcast and TCM but it doesn't look good or how Charter purchasing them will affect TCM. can only wait and see. My thought about it being a huge TCM fan..I too leave my tv on TCM most of the time..is to purchase the cord or cable that attaches to my computer and then to tv and stream into my tv..if I can figure out how it works OR..I have hundreds of old movies on dvd and just watch them and forget comcast and cable..will save me money..and wait and see if charter comes to Florida. Progress sometimes is bad! I will miss Robert Osborne and malkowicz with all their knowledge on the movies though. Sad.

Charter bought Time Warner Cable - nothing to do with Turner Classic Movies or assets owned or managed by Time Warner, Inc.

Time Warner Cable and Time Warner Inc. are two separate companies.

Time Warner Cable: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Cable

Time Warner, Inc.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner

Frequent Visitor

Great news! Thanks Comcast Ted..was worried. That makes more sense. Now if TCM programers would get with the program we'd be back on track.

Expert

Actually, TCM is owned by the Turner Broadcasting System [TBS] subsidiary of Time Warner.

It's confusing.

From Wiki [links provided at end of each paragraph]:

Turner Classic Movies (commonly abbreviated as TCM) is an American movie-oriented basic cable and satellite television network owned by the Turner Broadcasting System subsidiary of Time Warner. TCM is headquartered at the Techwood Campus in Atlanta, Georgia's Midtown business district.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turner_Classic_Movies

The current company consists largely of the assets of the former Warner Communications, as well as HBO (a Time Inc. subsidiary prior to the Warner merger) and the assets of Turner Broadcasting (acquired in 1996). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@Again wrote:

Actually, TCM is owned by the Turner Broadcasting System [TBS] subsidiary of Time Warner.

It's confusing.

From Wiki [links provided at end of each paragraph]:

Turner Classic Movies (commonly abbreviated as TCM) is an American movie-oriented basic cable and satellite television network owned by the Turner Broadcasting System subsidiary of Time Warner. TCM is headquartered at the Techwood Campus in Atlanta, Georgia's Midtown business district.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turner_Classic_Movies

The current company consists largely of the assets of the former Warner Communications, as well as HBO (a Time Inc. subsidiary prior to the Warner merger) and the assets of Turner Broadcasting (acquired in 1996). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner

Yes, agreed that it is confusing. Thanks for the additional information.

Either way, the Charter and Time Warner Cable merger don't change the ownership and management of TCM.

Time Warner, Inc. (not Time Warner Cable) is the parent company of TCM.  

Contributor

We are down to one film available, Fallen Sparrow, through TCM VOD, and this film will no longer be available as of tomorrow.  We had about a dozen films added at once about a week ago, after the list had once again decreased to one or two films.  This has been the pattern since April, with updates occurring only once a week instead of every day or so; when the dozen plus films are added at the same time, many of the films are available for less than a week.  Some are available for only a day or two. For years, the list was updated every day or every other day, and all of the films were available for viewing for a full week.  

Although this problem has been characterized as a technical issue stemming from TCM, I'm noticing similar updating complaints discussed on this forum involving programming on several other Comcast channels.

Whatever the cause of the problem involving TCM, will we be returning to the TCM listings being updated every day or so? When will the current list be updated?  Thank you.

Expert

@mabel09 wrote:

We are down to one film available, Fallen Sparrow, through TCM VOD, and this film will no longer be available as of tomorrow.  We had about a dozen films added at once about a week ago, after the list had once again decreased to one or two films.  This has been the pattern since April, with updates occurring only once a week instead of every day or so; when the dozen plus films are added at the same time, many of the films are available for less than a week.  Some are available for only a day or two. For years, the list was updated every day or every other day, and all of the films were available for viewing for a full week.  

Although this problem has been characterized as a technical issue stemming from TCM, I'm noticing similar updating complaints discussed on this forum involving programming on several other Comcast channels.

Whatever the cause of the problem involving TCM, will we be returning to the TCM listings being updated every day or so? When will the current list be updated?  Thank you.

This is definitely a problem with TCM and not with Comcast.  I watch a lot of TCM movies On Demand and I'm frustrated with this as well.

Contributor

Yup same here! UGH sick of this

Contributor

I'm glad to see that TCM VOD is now being updated daily, with all added films available for a full week and the list consisting of 12 to 16 films on any given day.  Hopefully, the problems beginning in April have now been resolved.  

New Poster

Re: I'm not seeing TCM on Demand???

have they credited your account yet for the total number of days that they messed up?

Expert
Moved:

Re: TCM On Demand is Missing Again

Expert
Moved:

Expert
Moved:

Expert
Moved:

Expert
Moved:

Expert

@techeegal wrote:

why is it already june 8 2016, yet you have not fixed it YET?  why did watch TCM on demand on the television set work with the legacy boxes, but not the X1 boxes?  on the tellie!  i.e., the "device" called a television set.  if fewer people buy television sets to watch their favored "on demand" network (in this case, TCM), then they, the manufacturers, will sue you.  so, what does legal/billing/corporate say to that one?

It is fixed...  TCM is now offering from 12 to 16 movies available for 1 week and then updates that listing the following week.  TCM decides what and for how long a movie is offered On Demand as TCM is the content owner.  Comcast offers what the content owner provides in all of the On Demand arena.

Currently I am seeing 14 movies offered.  These are located under NETWORKS.