Community Forum

Stopping and starting an On Demand program?

Regular Contributor

Stopping and starting an On Demand program?

Is there a way to stop (not just pause) an On Demand program (i.e. to watch something else), then be able to resume the program from where it was stopped? When I tried to do it, it always restarted from the beginning, which meant I had to watch the ads again between the beginning and where I had stopped the program the first time.

Expert

Re: Stopping and starting an On Demand program?

@ThatDonGuy wrote:

Is there a way to stop (not just pause) an On Demand program (i.e. to watch something else), then be able to resume the program from where it was stopped? When I tried to do it, it always restarted from the beginning, which meant I had to watch the ads again between the beginning and where I had stopped the program the first time.

If you are talking about On Demand found on linear cable, I have been able to "stop" the episode and have it start up where I left off just by hitting the play button on the selected episode later in the same day. Remember that the particular episode is only good for 24 hours. You could go back and pick the same episode if the time expired, and play from the start. 

I have a regular HD cable-box. Not the X1 series.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Actually, my situation may be slightly different than usual; I was trying to play a recording from my DVR, but there was a problem with the recording, so the On Demand version of the episode started playing instead. Perhaps the system isn't smart enough to realize that the program had been started and stopped when it is started again this way.

Expert

@ThatDonGuy wrote:

Actually, my situation may be slightly different than usual; I was trying to play a recording from my DVR, but there was a problem with the recording, so the On Demand version of the episode started playing instead. Perhaps the system isn't smart enough to realize that the program had been started and stopped when it is started again this way.

If the recording on the DVR had become corrupted, it would not know where the stop point was. I am surprised it found a new copy to play on On Demand. There has been a problem with DVR's ability to play over the last few days.  Comcast knew there was a problem and it was fixed by this morning. I wonder if your problem was caused by this recent problem.  The problem seemed to be with both cloud and stored DVR's.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!