Community Forum

Several True Blood On Demand episodes missing from each season - only watchable by Buying

New Poster

Several True Blood On Demand episodes missing from each season - only watchable by Buying

HBO show True Blood has all seasons available free to watch On Demand to HBO subscribers, however there are several episodes from almost every season that are not viewable for free, only option to watch is to buy.

Episodes only available to Buy - S1 Ep4, S1 Ep6,
S2 Ep6, S2 Ep9,
S3 Ep9,
S4 Ep3, S4 Ep9,
S5 Ep1,
S6 Ep9,
S7 Ep10.

I assume this isn't something that can be fixed by troubleshooting or sending refresh signals, as I've already chatted online with agents who have done that and it did nothing. It seems that the On Demand dept needs to fix this issue since I've seen several other help forum articles submitted by other customers reporting the same issue so it seems they just missed some episodes when making them all free to watch to HBO subscribers, as it seems this issue isn't limited to just my system and other customers experience it as well. So I'm just trying to find a way to submit this issue to an On Demand tech team to fix.
20181002_141337.jpg
New Poster

Re: Several True Blood On Demand episodes missing from each season - only watchable by Buying

Yes, I am having the same issue.  Multiple episodes not available unless they are purchased despite HBO sub.

Expert

Re: Several True Blood On Demand episodes missing from each season - only watchable by Buying

It seems that either the owner's of the show, or HBO, have decided to make a few episodes watched on Comcast as "buy" only.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Bronze Problem Solver

I don’t believe it is the intent of any pay-cable network to charge subscribers for some On Demand episodes. It seems massively more likely that something went wrong in the On Demand archive to cause inappropriate episode deletions. This needs to be brought to the On Demand team.

Earlier this year, I complained that 3 episodes of Starz’ Counterparts were missing. It took around 12 days, but On Demand did get them back. The same should occur here.
New Poster

So this morning after chatting with an xfinity customer service person and an hour later and completing the regular resets I was assured that the problem with multiple episodes of True Blood not being available unless paying the $2.99 an episode despite having a subscription would be addressed by creating a service ticket.  Well I just got a call back on the service ticket and I will be PRE-CREDITED, I am saying PRE credited because I have not watched the 5 episodes yet and I did make that clear.  My second concern is my subscription with Xfinity.  I pay $225 a month for cable and internet and HBO is supposed to be include in that fee.  It does not say part of HBO is included.  How is this not false advertising?  How many other people are paying for HBO and are paying the extra $2.99 an episode here and there above their regular subscriptions?  The person that helped me said that this happens frequently.  

Official Employee

Hello All, 

From time to time after programs are available for free, then after it expires, it may only be available to buy only. This is determined by the network itself. However, there is also a possibility that there could be an error on the back-end that needs to be investigated by the On Demand Support Team in order to fix the issue. 

Because I was able to duplicate this issue (see the same thing on my 3 boxes), I will reach out to the On Demand Support Team to confirm whether or not this is a known issue, or if this is something that was changed by HBO. 

I will update this thread when I receive more information. Thanks for your patience. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hello @nik1016, @ic3, and @ForrestS

I have an update. Based on the information you guys provided and the fact that I was able to verify this information on my cable boxes, we are in the process of contacting the OnDemand Support Team so we can confirm if these episodes should be available or not.

We will update this thread when we receive more information. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Any update?

Official Employee

Good afternoon. Our OnDemand team is still looking into the issue. I'll be sure to update the thread as soon as there is new information to share.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Over 10 days to find out if the episodes in question are BUY only because of an error or because of a contract with HBO.

By the way, has anyone found anything, anywhere that explains how one's HBO access varies, depending on how you pay or subscribe to HBO?  That is to say, different people subscribing to HBO using different cable, satellite and other services have differing HBO TV shows and Movies to watch.

This all shouldn't be this difficult or complicated.

Bronze Problem Solver

IN RE: a question above, here is the official page to order HBO. See the last statement asterisked - some things may vary, but not the available content.

https://www.hbo.com/order

Obviously, this means all episodes of any series offered. (There may well be rarer cases of an entire series no longer being available - such might be the case for “K Street”, but if so, again, the rare case.)

Official Employee

Hi, we're being informed that the issue with the programming was due to expired content. We're working with the provider to get replacements, which some are currently processing through our system.

Official Employee

We do try our best to keep content up to date with the OnDemand service. The content is based on what the providers send to us. If programming has expired we would need to wait for them to provide the programming again. From the response we receive it seems we were already receiving some programming, but had to be processed first. We're happy to hear that the episodes are showing properly with your subscription. Let us know if you need assistance with anything else. 

Bronze Problem Solver

Why do such pay cable shows have any expiration date? (I.e., once they replace the version with timely promos a few weeks after initial airing, with versions absent such promos?)

I spot-checked various shows across HBO, Showtime, and STARZ, and they have different expiration dates. Many were in 2019, but some (like True Blood, or HBO’s Barry) expire Jan 1st, 2020. This is just one more thing that can go wrong in the relatively near-term future.

I share the befuddlement of my distinguished co-poster on how such problems can fester for so long. One lesson-learned from last sumner’s infamous PBS thread rings very loudly here - that the On Demand Team is far too insular from other Comcast reps. That it takes a week or more for word to be received from that team indicates something very wrong in the corporate culture. Or, a team that is woefully understaffed and stressed.

Either way, the audience for this and other past threads should include Comcast Management Supervision. It’s nice that we also have volunteers, but they lack the info and power to deal with huge problems like this.
Admin1

ForrestS -- The expiration date is set by the content holder. We, nor any other provider, have any control or anything to do with when an asset expires. This decision is solely up to the content holder.