Community Forum

Several Sopranos On Demand episodes missing from each season - only watchable by Buying

New Poster

Several Sopranos On Demand episodes missing from each season - only watchable by Buying

HBO show Sopranos has all seasons available free to watch On Demand to HBO subscribers, however there are several episodes from almost every season that are not viewable for free, only option to watch is to buy.

Episodes only available to Buy;

S1 Ep 10, S1 Ep 11, S1 Ep 12, S1 Ep 13

S2 Ep 1, Ep 2

I assume this isn't something that can be fixed by troubleshooting or sending refresh signals, as I've already chatted online with agents who have done that and it did nothing. It seems that the On Demand dept needs to fix this issue since I've seen several other help forum articles submitted by other customers reporting the same issue so it seems they just missed some episodes when making them all free to watch to HBO subscribers, as it seems this issue isn't limited to just my system and other customers experience it as well.

It was working fine until around a week ago. Really frustrating! 

The funny thing is ALL the Sopranos are on Amazon Prime.

Guess who is going to cut the cord.

Official Employee

Re: Several Sopranos On Demand episodes missing from each season - only watchable by Buying

Hello, bbbiemer. Welcome to the Xfinity Forums!

I checked the episodes you listed and they recently expired. They are not available for free at this time and are working as intended. Whether or not an episode is free or purchasable is at the discretion of the network that owns that content. I would check those episodes periodically though because often times they become available again shortly after. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Several Sopranos On Demand episodes missing from each season - only watchable by Buying

Those episodes are still available on Amazon Prime.

Time for me to cut the cord and leave Xfinity.

Expert

@bbbiemer wrote:

Those episodes are still available on Amazon Prime.

Time for me to cut the cord and leave Xfinity.

Amazon Prime is just doing that promo. to generate new customers. Things will return to normal there too in the near future.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

We’ve seen pay-cable episodes disappear before (Starz’ Counterpart and HBO’s True Blood, in recent months) and once notified, the On Demand team gets them restored, but it can take a while (10 days or so, e.g.)

So it isn’t a problem defined by network policy or intent, but rather a logistics issue between network and Comcast. Past threads suggest that pay-cable shows expire so that network promos can be changed. But there are kinks in the process by which Comcast readily has a new version of the episode file, with newly appropriate promos or no promos.

If you launch the HBO GO app on an iPhone (from which Comcast HBO subscribers can login via their Comcast ID to view HBO shows online), you can access all of the episodes here cited as missing from the Comcast TV On Demand menu. So that also shows that for the TV access, it is kinks in the logistics. One would think it is HIGHLY in Comcast’s interest to work out such kinks with pay cable networks, lest people think it is Comcast’s fault. Might be the providers being lax. Hard for us users to know.

In summary, it is clearly a logistics problem given what I’ve said above, but also because of what HBO GO says;

“With HBO GO®, enjoy instant and unlimited access to every episode of every season of the best HBO shows, movies, comedy, sports, and ...”

Frequent Visitor

Same here. Just learned this today.  Then an online chat agent had me jump through a hundred hoops like a show dog.  Had me unplug the box, unplug the cable connection, plug it back in, behind my dusty tv. Then, after all this, the agent tells me that networks take some shows off the air and there's nothing they could do about it.  Why couldn't they tell me this at first, before the the hour long simon sez game?  They also kept assuming I was talking about a new show, and kept saying that I had to wait 3 days before it was available on demand.  I told them it was The Sopranos, which hasn't aired in a decade. They didn't even know what The Sopranos was. Oh, and the agent tried to upsale me. This is unacceptable. I see  a comcast employee has replied to the forum saying that the episodes' "expired".  Were the chat agents not given this memo?  Why aren't they training their chat agents, who basically give us the same info we can look up on our own?  All they do is refresh the box, which never works. 

I see another reply says something about a logistic issue that may correct itself. I'm going to call comcast tomorrow (get a real voice on the phone), and if they don't clarify the issue for me, concluding with the assurance that the entire Sopraos series remains free to HBO subscribers, buh-by!  Internet and HBO shows are the only reason I've been paying comcast through the nose. It's off to AT&T for internet and HBO directly for their stream app otherwise. 

Frequent Visitor

Oh, they also gave me a ticket number for a tech engineer to contact me.  Instead of just, god forbid, keeping the chat agents up to date about program changes.  Now a domino effect of overworked chat agents in India and tech engineers here in the states have to waste time addressing a problem that they can't even fix.  Xfinity is a complete train wreck, from the top floor to the bottom. 

Official Employee

Hello All,

I have forwarded this information to the correct team to take a further look. We hope to have this resolved as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience and apologize about any inconvenience. Please let me know if any other assistance is needed. Thank you all for reaching out! 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

Folks: Although it is time-consuming to scroll through the results, it appears to me that all Sopranos episodes can be selected (HD or SD) by typing “Sopranos” via the Search function. You’ll see the Search option near the bottom of the main On Demand page.

I’m not curently an HBO subscriber thus I can’t prove the selections actually launch the show, but I suspect they work. Make sure you select the “free with subscription” episode choice, not the pay-$$ choice.

If it works, it must mean they haven’t expired. Instead, the easier-to-use show menus need links to numerous episodes re-established. (To make things easier, and to not make folks think the episodes are missing.)

What I said in an earlier post is true - other premium-Network shows have disappeared in the past (including from Search) but perhaps that is not the case here.

Try it out, see if Search works for you.
Frequent Visitor

Nope, Forrest. That doesn't work on my x-1 box. I don't even have a search option on the bottom of the on demand page. It just ends with a list of channels. When I do a manual search for Sopranos, it just goes back to the same page that only gives you options to buy episodes.