Community Forum

Resolution question

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Resolution question

What is the res for xfinity on demand?  is it 720p (like the linear feed) or is it up converted back to 1080i?

The reason i ask this is because majority of cable content is either in SD (premium channels) or down rezzid to 720p.  

Expert

Re: Resolution question

@Waqas1 wrote:

What is the res for xfinity on demand?  is it 720p (like the linear feed) or is it up converted back to 1080i?

The reason i ask this is because majority of cable content is either in SD (premium channels) or down rezzid to 720p.  

For ON DEMAND, linear cable, if the programing came from network channels carrying widescreen programing output in 1080i (i.e. ... PBS, CBS, NBC, CW) the feed come from networks as 1080i. Comcast coverts the feed to 720p for their cable channel showing.

If you wait until a certain show reaches On Demand (if ever), the show may be in Widescreen 1080i if it originally played that way (over the air). You should be able to tell the difference when viewing. My Samsung UHD television can display the actual resolution picked up from Comcast box, or any other devices connected to it. I have ways to determine whether signal is MPEG2 or MPEG4.

I should also point out that some of the more popular series moving from CBS to FOX might now be seen only in 720p (rather than 1080i) for the new season. Bummer! 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!