Community Forum

On demand and closed captioning

New Poster

On demand and closed captioning

While searching On Demand on the comcast channel.  I noticed that your movies that is NOT free always has closed captioning (cc).  While the free movies NEVER have the cc.  

We feel deeply insulted that we (me and my wife are deaf)  can not enjoy the free movies that a normal hearing person can enjoy.  We also feel a bit of discrimination going on.

These movies are quite new. So we KNOW that they do have cc. Please do add the cc on the free movies part. We (Us and the deaf as well the elderly)  want to enjoy all the comcast has to offer to us.

New Poster

Re: On demand and closed captioning

I totally agree with this... I came on to say the exact same thing after flipping through 20 free movies and finding NONE of them with cc.  It is agravating.  I do not out out to the Movie Theater as I can not hear and do enjoy watching movies at home but how can I or anyone that is deaf or hearing impared do so if we are discriminated against... Please list those that are available with CC or not.  And think about getting more movies in with CC
Gold Problem Solver

I have passed on to a Comcast moderator the requests for more free VOD movies with CC, as well as info in the listings as to whether CC is available.
New Poster

I can't get closed captioning on any on-demand programming.  Set-up menu doesn't have it?  How do you get it for the paid movies?  Can you get it for the television shows?  How?
Problem Solver

For Motorola cable set tops, here is how you can turn the closed captioning on/off.

To activate closed captioning, turn the cable box off, but leave the TV set on.
Press Menu on the cable box or on your remote control.
Using the down arrow, navigate to Closed Caption; press the right arrow to “Enabled” or “Disabled.”

New Poster

tedtv wrote:

For Motorola cable set tops, here is how you can turn the closed captioning on/off.

To activate closed captioning, turn the cable box off, but leave the TV set on.
Press Menu on the cable box or on your remote control.
Using the down arrow, navigate to Closed Caption; press the right arrow to “Enabled” or “Disabled.”

I tried this and it does not work....which is understandable since if you turn the cable box OFF it can't access anything (and yes I do have a Motorola box). But I tried it anyway thinking maybe you know something I don't. I tried turning the cable box off and hitting the menu button on the box and one the remote......nothing happened which is what I expected.

I have tried for months to get CC to work on On Demand without success. I've even called customer support and tried watching the ones they said were CC (which are usually ones that do not hold interest for me). Guess what..... NO CC!! even tho the litte CC icon was showing on the menu!! CC is working on ALL of the other channels just not on On Demand. I called customer service again today.... twice...all they could tell me was they will inform thier supervisor. Needless to say I am not happy with the service I have gotten.

According to Comcast's website at least 90% of the free movies on On Demand are supposed to be CC as of 2006. From what I have seen since September of 2008 the vast majority of these movies are NOT CC. Which means on those nights, such as tonight, when there is very little on cable tv that I am interested in watching the one place I can usually find something at least half way entertaining is a waste of my time and effort since without CC I can't understand the majority of what is being said.

And please.. don't tell me I watch too much tv and to get out and get a life. Like so many others out there I can't afford to go out which leaves me with very few options as to entertainment.

OK I'm done venting but I'm still not a happy camper. 

Gold Problem Solver

WolfEyes59 wrote:

I tried this and it does not work....

It works.  Try again.  Turning the box off doesn't remove power, it just allows the menu to be displayed for you to set CC.

New Poster

WarEagle57 wrote:

WolfEyes59 wrote:

I tried this and it does not work....

It works.  Try again.  Turning the box off doesn't remove power, it just allows the menu to be displayed for you to set CC.

I have tried several times. Turning off the box and hitting menu does absolutely nothing. Nothing shows up on either the box or on the tv. I've even gone so far as to turn the box off (leaving the tv on), hit menu and hit the up/down buttons just in the off chance a menu would show up. Zip, zilch, nada. And if it makes any difference, as I said, CC is working on all channels except for On Demand.
Contributor

Under federal law, the FCC mandated a phase-in of closed captioning.  As of January 1, 2006, generally all new program content must be closed captioned, and new programming content appearing on On Demand will be captioned unless it falls within certain prescribed exceptions.  Much of the pre-January 1, 2006 content on On Demand will also be captioned, but certain programs may not be captioned because they are exempt under federal law. 

Frequent Visitor

This is very aggrivating to me also. I find that many movies on Showtime say they are CC and then when I turn them on they are not. Also I am a huge watcher of HGTV none of their programming is CC on demand.
New Poster

even the techs don't know how to fix this problem.  It does me good to see others are as frustrated as I am about the cc on movies.

New Poster

Just today I told a Comcast salesman, Jeff, that I am hearing impaired and definitely need closed caption from my movie service. He assured me On Demand movies have closed caption. He gave me his phone number, 503 617 1267, in case I had questions. I am sharing it in case any other hearing impaired people also have questions.

Jeff's dishonesty is especially disheartening since I explained to him in detail how  I recently subscribed to Netflix and paid $80 for a Roku only to discover there are no closed captions on Netflix movies streamed with Roku.  I told Jeff I was really bummed about my lack of success with Netflix/Roku and definitely needed a service that provides cc. 

I am glad I googled this topic, or I would have signed up for a comcast bundle that cost over $120 a month and gotten a movie service that I couldn't use.

I am going to call Frontier tomorrow and see if direct tv/satellite has closed caption. Come to think of it, I probably won't be able to trust their salesmen either. Better google it.

Frequent Visitor

It works. Just turn the TV on first. Then press me on the cable remote.  Press closed captions on menu. CC is off, right?  Now press configure cc once so it says cc is on. Now turn the box back on and try a movie.

Frequent Visitor

That me in my post should read menu.

Regular Visitor

How can one tell whether pay movies have closed captioning for those of us who are hard of hearing.?  I wasted $6 for two movies last night, neither of which had captions.

Frequent Visitor

when you select (highlight) your movie, information about the movie appears at the top.  If the movie has closed captions, the letters CC should appear on the top right, along with the film's rating etc.

Regular Visitor

FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT ON MY TV.  See if this works for you.

1.  With cable box and tv  both on - seclect menu

2.  Go to Setup

3.  Go to Audio Setup

4.  Turn the DESCRIPTIVE VIDEO SERVICE button to ON. 

I have no idea what a descriptive video service is  - but it turned on closed captioning for my On Demand channels. 

Worth a try.

New Poster

Tried it, does not work for me!!!

Problem Solver

Hi tomberetvas,

I just checked on my unit and this is what I did.

1. Using controler, click on the MENU button

2. At the bottom of the screen, right arrow > to MENU BOX and select

3. There will be a listing of choices 2 columns

4. At the bottom of 1st column select SETUP

5. A 2 column screen will open

6. At the top of column 2, select CLOSED CAPTION SETUP

7. Use the arrow keys to select ON or OFF

When ON is showing, back out of the area using the LAST button

I hope this helps, Good Luck

ciao, bj

Contributor

Many of the "helpful" replies are clueless when they recommend finagling with settings on the cable box or TV. The lack of closed captioning (CC) has nothing to do with any hardware configurations on the consumer side. Stop blaming the customer and start obeying the law.

When you go to Xfinity TV and select programs that had been originally broadcast with CC, 90% of them are not available with CC on Xfinity. (It is the same with movies) Use the CC filter to verify that assertion. When you go to network web sites, most of the programs have CC. But Comcast seems unwilling to comply with CC requirements. It is the laziness of Comcast for preventing hearing-impaired people from accessing the services they paid for.

How difficult would it be for Comcast to include the CC the programs were originally broadcast with? Maybe it's time for Comcast customers to invoke the Americans with Disabilities Act. We are paying for a service that discriminates against us. Before someone tells us to go elsewhere, remember that Comcast has a near monopoly in many areas of the country. The FCC needs to be made aware of Comcast's flagrant disregard for law and common decency.

Contributor

tedtv said: "For Motorola cable set tops, here is how you can turn the closed captioning on/off."

Malarky!

Closed Captioning simply is not available for most TV programs and movies on Xfinity. Take a look youself. This is NOT a consumer hardware problem.

Contributor

Compugirl said: " Under federal law, the FCC mandated a phase-in of closed captioning."

Apparently Comcast has chosen to ignore the 2006 memo. Brand new programming as recent as one week ago has CC on network broadcasts, but Xfinity does not provide it for the same program. You state that "certain programs" may be exempt, but it's hard to believe that "certain programs" comprise 90% of Xfinity offerings.

Contributor

Grossbooks said "If the movie has closed captions, the letters CC should appear "

That's all well and good advice if I were completely dense; however, very few Xfinity movies offer CC. In the last 15 years, most, if not all, were produced with CC available. For more than 90% of Xfinity's movies and programs, CC is not available. Someone subscribing to a service such as Xfinity should be able to assume that it is complying to federal law. It is not. This is a consumer ripoff.

Official Employee

jelendall wrote:

Grossbooks said "If the movie has closed captions, the letters CC should appear "

That's all well and good advice if I were completely dense; however, very few Xfinity movies offer CC. In the last 15 years, most, if not all, were produced with CC available. For more than 90% of Xfinity's movies and programs, CC is not available. Someone subscribing to a service such as Xfinity should be able to assume that it is complying to federal law. It is not. This is a consumer ripoff.

Comcast is in compliance with all regulations concerning closed captioning.

Can you please provide some specific examples where you are not receiving closed captioning plus the cable box type and TV model (and your city and state) so I can look into this further for you. Thanks!

New Poster

That worked for us, so why don't the technicians others on this forum have called know that? And why wouldn't clicking the more intuitive "close captioning" option work?
New Poster

Sorry, I forgot to paste the related message...
FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT ON MY TV. See if this works for you.

1. With cable box and tv both on - seclect menu
2. Go to Setup
3. Go to Audio Setup
4. Turn the DESCRIPTIVE VIDEO SERVICE button to ON.

I have no idea what a descriptive video service is - but it turned on closed captioning for my On Demand channels.

Worth a try.
Contributor

Anon, "Descriptive Video" is a term that usually refers to audio accompaniment for the visually impaired. An audio description of the activity happening on-screen is provided. That said, it has nothing to do with the particular problem I originally reported. Again, it has nothing to do with the cable box. I can get CC through my cable box when a program is being orginally broadcast, but very seldom when I go through Xfinity.

The simplest way to explain this:

1. Turn on your computer.

2. Log into your Comcast account.

3. Select Xfinity TV.

4. Choose either the "TV programs" or "movies" option.

5. Count the number of offerings.

6. Click on the "closed caption filter."

7. Count the dramtically decreased number of offerings that have CC.

If you are in no particular hurry, you can select each movie or TV show and verify this for yourself. Find some shows that you know had CC when they were first aired and, more often than not, you'll see CC is not provided on the Xfinity site for as many as 75% - 90% of the shows.

I am a Comcast customer. Fully functioning Xfinity was part of the service I am paying for.

New Poster

I tried doing the Descriptive Video Service, but it still doesn't work Smiley Sad I really really want the captions on my onDemand so I can watch my shows. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I'm so frustrated!
Frequent Visitor

I know this is sort of an older thread but I wanted to add that the problem I'm experiencing with the On Demand movies isn't that there isn't close captioning.  Rather, the close captioning appears, but it is garbled and therefore completely unreadable and useless.  Like the others posting here, I have difficulty hearing and rely on the CC to watch these movies.  It is extremely disappointing not to be able to use the CC service.  Messing around with the remote will not fix it.  Thank you.

New Poster

Thank you so much!!! I now have CC on demand. Thank you.

Regular Visitor

Part of problem is whether you have HD comcast or plain comcast (the small motorola box) 

Comcast instructions for closed captioning if you do NOT have HD,  say you will need to go through your television set itself.

That is what I had to do. For that you will need your television set remote control, NOT your comcast controller. 

Then if you have TV controller turn on TV.

Turn off comcast.  

Try pushing "set up" on TV set controller

That should lead you to a menu and by exploring that you should find

a part that says something about closed captioning. 

Instructions given that say turn off cable box but leave TV on, are for people w/ HD type television and HD comcast.  I have plain or SD comcast and you cannot get closed captioning w/ your comcast controller.  Have to do it through your television set w/ your TV set controller. Sorry. Hope you have your

TV controller. If not you might be able to buy a generic controller at radio shack that you can program

to work your television set. 

My television is old --- from the 90s I think.  If your TV is very, very old, it might not be able to pick up

closed captioning. I'm not sure. 

Contributor

clukey, I am not sure which comment you are replying to. Your instructions may be quite helpful to viewers who are not getting CC at all.

My original complaint was that there are so few programs/films in the On Demand list that provide CC, even though, in their original broadcast, CC was available.

I can get CC when viewing over-the-air broadcasts or through the cable box or via MS MediaCenter and even a paltry number of On Demand without difficulty. However, more than 3/4ths of the Xfinity On Demand offerings are without CC at all. To verify this, enable the CC filter on the On Demand page listing the films or programs and see the significant drop in numbers.. No amount of technical tinkering on our part will remedy that. It is Comcast's responsibility.

New Poster

I just tried it and to my surprise it worked! I did have to hit the menu button a couple of times before the correct menu popped up.