Community Forum

On Demand television shows fees

Highlighted
New Poster

On Demand television shows fees

I don’t understand why I have to pay $2.99 to watch shows that I have missed on non premium channels, TLC, OWN, etc. If the show has already showed on the channel, why would there be a charge for it on On Demand? This is very frustrating!! Is it Xfinity’s decision or the channel/show? There was a time (a long time ago) that this was free. I don’t understand if you pay a monthly subscription (which is not cheap) that I would have to pay separately for already shown shows.
Highlighted
Expert

Re: On Demand television shows fees

@Lindalucci2 wrote:
I don’t understand why I have to pay $2.99 to watch shows that I have missed on non premium channels, TLC, OWN, etc. If the show has already showed on the channel, why would there be a charge for it on On Demand? This is very frustrating!! Is it Xfinity’s decision or the channel/show? There was a time (a long time ago) that this was free. I don’t understand if you pay a monthly subscription (which is not cheap) that I would have to pay separately for already shown shows.

That is the decision of the network, not Comcast.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

If this is in fact a networks decision to charge, then the exorbitant amount that is charged by Comcast should cover those costs for all their paying customers to watch the show's they are clearly paying for
Highlighted
New Poster

Exactly!!!
Highlighted
New Poster

My wife and I have been watching the TV show Mayans on demand, now today we can no longer watch this program, along with other programs, like Life Below Zero, unless we either purchase the shows or switch to HD. These shows are seen free on TV with our current cable fee. We watched Mayans episodes 1 thru 7 with no issue, then today we can't watch any of the episodes, even the ones already viewed, unless we pay for HD. I pay a high enough fee for cable TV without having to pay even more for HD. Soon the free movies, on demand will require HD to view.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

No, it's not the network. It is Comcast.  Comcast allows them to do this. They (Comcast) should do something to stop them from doing this, but they won't. Comcast should negociate better deals for their customers.

I'm getting very close to quitting cable because of this. I'm tired of this type of scam. We are scammed by people every day through the internet, phone scammers and now entertainment scams. All they want is our money. They give the bare minimum in return. I don't know about you but $160.00 a month is a lot of money to me just for TV.  Many people pay even more than that. Times that by thousands of other Comcast customers and that adds up to a fortune for the Comcast company. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I just called Comcast concerning the charge for an on demand tv show. They said it the network. Not them. That's so so wrong.They never charged before. I pay alot of money a month for comcast. Just because i missed a show now i have to pay extra!<br>Comcast is a multi billion $ company and they don't take care of their long time customers.<br>It's time for a change.
Highlighted
New Poster

I'm so tired of paying so much for on demand and then paying again for missed shows that I missed from channels that are already paid for in my channel plan. The reason I switched to comcast was for on demand that everyone used to rave about.
Highlighted
New Poster

This may be late but if you search by network instead of the show it may work
Highlighted
New Poster

Doesn’t work ! It’s a scam ! Take the Blacklist for instance ...after the hiatus <br>Season 7 started up on 3/20 and as of today episode 11 Is charging 2.99 to watch . 12 thru 16 are free !! So you have to pay for the 1st episode of the return of the season ???? That’s garbage !!! I refuse to pay for a show that is from a regular channel .... I just won’t watch it or any other show from NBC ... how’s that gonna work for their ratings .... it’s not that serious !<br>I’ll wait and finish it on Netflix when it comes out !
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi all,

Comcast does not own the rights to the content. The availability of a program after is has aired on a linear channel is determined solely by the content providers. Some of the content is made available to customers who are entitled to the channel via their cable package for some time, and then it may only become available for purchase/rent. Again, this is at the discretion of the content providers, who are the ones who own the rights to the content, not Comcast.

As you may expect, each content provider acts differently; in that sense, some may make the content available free on demand for extended periods, while others might not. 

One way to avoid this, is to set recordings for new episodes of your favorite show so that you can watch them on your schedule, without having to worry that the free license is going to expire.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@ComcastCesar wrote:

Hi all,

Comcast does not own the rights to the content. The availability of a program after is has aired on a linear channel is determined solely by the content providers. Some of the content is made available to customers who are entitled to the channel via their cable package for some time, and then it may only become available for purchase/rent. Again, this is at the discretion of the content providers, who are the ones who own the rights to the content, not Comcast.

As you may expect, each content provider acts differently; in that sense, some may make the content available free on demand for extended periods, while others might not. 

One way to avoid this, is to set recordings for new episodes of your favorite show so that you can watch them on your schedule, without having to worry that the free license is going to expire.

So then who made the decision to charge for local channels and 'regional sports', resulting in the two exorbitant fees we see on our bills every month, even though the local and sports channels are part of most subscribers lineups to begin with? That's double dipping and something I wish more customers would file FTC/FCC complaints about to force Comcast to remove those charges as that would be a $20+ reduction in our monthly bills. 

Just because you CAN charge extra for something doesn't mean you should. Of course since it works so well for the big airlines I guess Comcast wanted their share of that easy money too.