Community Forum

On Demand previews NOT appropriate for kids

New Poster

On Demand previews NOT appropriate for kids

The previews that are shown while accessing kids programming is awful! They are usually horror movies or violent rated R films. I've tried to complain to Comcast and thus far they've been unable (unwilling?) to help
Silver Problem Solver

Re: On Demand previews NOT appropriate for kids

many have complained on the forum.  The ondemand previews are for newer movies unfortunately now most of those are horror and adult.  On demand is marketed to an older audience thats probably why putting things in the preview that no one wants to see is not going to make comcast money that is the most likely reason. 

Official Employee

We apologize for any inconvenience we have caused. We strive to provide quality content to our customers including age appropriate content for younger viewers. Although we promote rated R movies in our E! Presents  XFINITY On Demand program, all segments and footage have been approved appropriate for general audiences - similar to movie trailers and previews as shown in theaters.  We value your opinion and will work harder to ensure we are cognizant to the sensitivity of our viewers. 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support

Problem Solver

Netflix has a special kids view that shows kids programming, and lets you pick the user and remember the favorites of each person.  In the kids view the icons are really big and pretty, and the interface is simplified.

There are no violent thrillers or horror movies in the kids view on Netflix.

My 4 yr old daughter can navigate Netflix and pick shows.  On demand seems to confusing for her to figure out.

So one can make a safe and very easy for kids interface with enough effort.

Try looking at the netflix kids view.

Frequent Visitor

I have spoken with Comcast support and Comcast Corporate, and they both say that nothing can be done right now and that is the way it is.  I do not let my children watch these movies, why is it appropriate for them to see the previews.  There needs to be a separate Kids on-demand entry point with no previews.  When you go into Help, that part of the screen is black, so it can't be that hard to do.

Frequent Visitor

After speaking with a rather rude person with Comcast Corporate, I suggest that everyone call in this problem.  The attitude was that we aren't going to make any changes for just one person.

1-800-884-3642

Gold Problem Solver

From here  posted on 2-14-2013

ComcastEric wrote:

Hi, I've actually now been told that these trailers are being removed from the daytime rotation and will now only run in the nighttime version.  We apologize for any inconvenience we have caused.

Eric

New Poster

I would like to reiterate what many other Comcast customers have said regarding inappropriate ads for your On Demand segments. Please, Comcast, either make a separate setting for Kids' On Demand programming, or remove the violent and sexually inappropriate content from all On Demand promos. You have an entire section on how to protect your children from online content and objectionable programming, so you're obviously aware that parents want to protect their children from seeing images that they shouldn't see. I appreciate your help with this serious issue. Thank you.

New Poster

I am so upset. My 7 year old has seen more violence, sex and horror on the preview screen while trying to find a cartoon or kid's movie. I cannot find any way of turning off this screen. It seems that advertising is much more important to Comcast then the safety of the Comcast viewer, no matter what their age. Telling the Comcast bill payer that the previews are approved for all audiences is hogwash! We never go see a movie at the theater for our son, and watch Texas Chain Saw Massacre previews before Despicable Me 2. To not have this option, has led us to evaluate the different avenues that are available for our viewing experience. Comcast is not the only provider in our area and unless the concerns are truly met we feel we will have to cancel our service. I am not the first one to complain about this and I am sure I am not the last. It is time for Comcast to pay attention to the concerns of the customer. Just turned on the preview pane and my son and I both got to watch the previews of True Blood's next episode! 10 AM Sunday morning and people head's being torn off are what we are given to watch.

New Poster

Just an idea and you may already do this.. but what about muting it and distracting the kids until their movie is on? I have done this for my grandkids and my niece and nephew Smiley Happy

Good Luck

Problem Solver

One good thing is that the On Demand section on the new X1 boxes doesn't have previews or interviews or anything like that at all.

New Poster

Totally agree. My son is scared at night because of the Halloween previews on the On Demand section. 

New Poster

Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one that worries about this!

I just came online to try to find out if I could set some kind of parental control to end the scary ads. We've been with Comcast for years now and it's always been the main issue with two little children who can't help but see some of it from time to time while putting shows on or when it goes off.

New Poster

At 9:35 on a Sunday morning, after a peaceful viewing/listening of the holiday fireplace video (2013 Yule Log) with my grade school daughters, we were returned to the On Demand menu with a call out for "Masters of Sex." Good stuff, Comcast. Makes me all the more thrilled with coughing up absurd amounts of money to you each month. Also makes me renew my focus on liberating myself from Comcast altogether.

New Poster

Re: On Demand previews NOT appropriate for kids-

TO: COMCAST

DATE: 14 November 2014

SUBJECT:  The practice of pervasive and aggressive marketing of violent movies through your ON DEMAND service must STOP.

To Whom It May Concern,

Your current practice of marketing violent movies to children through your ON DEMAND service is abhorrent and must be stopped.  Such marketing occurs 24/7; however, by showing R rated film movie trailers during “early fringe” and “prime access” hours, i.e., after school and before prime-time you further frustrate parents’ attempts to shield their children from viewing such programing.

Because you show these R rated film previews, with no stop gaps, to children while parents can ONLY navigate through the ON DEMAND system to children’s programs you have effectively undermined the credibility of the industries’ ratings and labels and hamstrung parents’ goals of protecting our children from such programing.    

In general, theaters do not show trailers for R- and PG-13-rated movies before children’s animated features. In 1989, the National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO) passed a resolution stating: “All trailers shown with a ‘G’ rated film should be compatible therewith, and theatre owners should be especially sensitive to this situation to the end that the theatre going public will be entirely comfortable taking young children to view ‘G’ rated motion pictures.” NATO adopted this resolution due to complaints received from irate parents over the strong content of “all audience” trailers shown at films geared to young audiences. (Reference: MARKETING VIOLENT ENTERTAINMENT TO CHILDREN, Sept 2000).

I would argue that you as a corporation should follow the same guidance as theatre owners.  It makes no difference if you are viewing the movie trailer in your home, or in a theatre.  The same industry guidance should apply. It is inappropriate that I have no way to stop my child from seeing a preview of Sex Tape (your latest nonstop trailer run) or any of the latest horror film trailer, while I’m navigating to Dora the Explorer? In a theatre to view any other child’s movie we would not be exposed to the Sex Tape trailer before the feature film; therefore, why are you marketing it to my 4 year old daughter in our living room at 4pm on a Tuesday afternoon?   

The legal aspects these issues are not without validation and with a simple search I was able to come up with multiple resources that enforce this as an FCC violation of marketing R rated sexual and violent material to minors. 

My suggestion is to put children’s content under a different area of ON DEMAND that does not include R or PG-13 movie trailers.

I will be awaiting your response and action plan. 

Concerned Parent and Comcast Customer

New Poster

Joe,

"All audience" trailers are NOT allowed in theatres before G rated children's movies!  

Why is Comcast targeting our kids with violent and sexual content in "all audience" trailers during early fringe and prime access hours while trying to navigate to KIDS programing ON DEMAND?  This is not allowed by FCC rules in theatres.  If Comcast is "acting" as an in home theatre by showing trailers then compliance with industry rules should be mandatory.

Targeting our kids with extreme sexual and violent programing during prime hours with no stop gaps is unacceptable.  Is Comcast prepared to go to court on this "all audience trailers" stance when the class action starts?  

Comcast Customer and Concerned Parent 

New Poster

This morning I was horrified to see a video clip of Red Reddington from The Blacklist hang tied on the Previews of On Demand. Also horrified was my 6 year old son who understood that the man was being tortured, and he's devastated. Please know that we were searching for Doc McStuffins as the preview came on. This is not an isolated event but today put me over the top.

Comcast, SHAME ON YOU!!!

You claim to care about our children's well-being. You claim to have our best interest at heart. I strongly encourage you to do something about this. Give me a way to protect my child from disturbing images, please.

New Poster

I have the same concerns as everyone above.  My son was watching Nickelodeon and then a commercial for a show about a serial killer popped up in the On Demand previews.  This is a constant problem.

Contributor

Not to long ago comcast released a Kid Zone mode on the X1 system for testing through Comcast Labs. It puts the cable box into a kid mode with limited choices and options. I am not sure if it will also limit the XOD commerials, but it could be something to look into: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/kids-zone/

New Poster

Like everyone else on this thread I was searching the internet to find out how to remove the inappropriate previews on On Demand. My 9 year old son has had nightmares for the last few nights after seeing the preview of SCREAM... where this guy is killing everyone in sight. Now he's sleeping with us because he can't stop seeing the preview when he sleeps alone in his bed at night. I'm really shocked at how long this has been a pain point for customers and that Comcast has chose not to do anything about it. 

One suggestion above was to try "muting it and distracting the kids until their movie is on" but this isn't a viable solution. The kids like to sit with you as you search through the movie titles to pick the move they want to see. 

We've been with Comcast for more than 20 years, but we're moving to Verizon. For what its worth I signed the petition at https://www.change.org/p/comcast-stop-putting-adult-content-and-previews-on-your-on-demand-channel. I don't know how effective these sites are but it's worth a try.

New Poster

File an informal complaint with the FCC. I would also lookup up the group that started the rating system and lobby for that change. Since the commercials are media content as well, it would not be hard to assign ratings and play appropriately.
Comcast may make even more money by getting co's like Kelloggs, to do targeted cereal ads, etc during G rated shows/movies.
New Poster

Hi Joe,

The level and content of adult previews you are showing would NOT and was NOT viewed in the Beauty and The Beast over the weekend. Your explanation ignores the fact the "group" that decided this was OK was and is NOT my kids parent. Make the existing player window into advertising for a Fahkin preview channel and give me the X1 Logo with time and weather in top right News scroll too why not... My own kids deem it not appropriate for them.... Make it a remote to box setting like closed caption.. Hide Preview. On-Off.
New Poster

I would also like to complain that on a number of recent occasions my kids -both under 10- were watching G/E rated shows and commercials for adult shows were aired. I don't even watch these shows and the commercials were clearly PG13+ in just the commercial and the shows are M rated.
It's just uncalled for and inappropriate and the WRONG target audience.
PLEASE REMOVE THIS TYPE OF COMMERCIALS DURING KIDS SHOWS!!
Official Employee

Hi Npersing! I can help look into this issue. By chance do you recall the dates/times and exact channels this happened on? Please provide the details in a private message. 

Send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click private message me.

Also, in the body of this message please verify the first and last name of the account holder, and the street address associated with your services.

New Poster

On October 8, 2017 at approximately 8:56AM EST while watching Disney's Aladdin on Kids Zone, approx 17 min into the movie (& 27 min in, & 35 min in), a commercial for the TV series Riverdale came on, with adult content showing bloodied bodies & referencing murder. VERY INAPPROPRIATE!! This is Not the first time this has happened, or the first time we've contacted Comcast/Xfinity about something similar to this taking place in Kids Zone, (we notified you about the movie trailer for Sleepless - a rated R thriller). Along with these incidents, during another Kids Zone movie (an animated film), some time during the month of September, there was a commercial for a bunch of sci-fi movies, including Freddy Krueger. This is Completely UNACCEPTABLE!!  Unfortunately, time & movie can't be noted, but there's no way a parent should have to sit & screen every single commercial during a children's movie in a designated "safe place" on TV. Comcast/Xfinity needs to do a MUCH better job screening these types of things & only allowing age-appropriate content during children's movies, especially in Kids Zone. There is no feeling of safety, security or filters whatsoever, which is the whole point of Kids Zone. As stated on xfinity.com, "Kids Zone is a feature that offers a safe environment for children to browse, shuffle and watch live TV, XFINITY On Demand content and DVR recordings that are appropriate for kids ages 12 and under." This is an all-out lie. What will you do to resolve this?

Admin1

Hi zejax -- Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will work with our On Demand team about this ad placement as these should not be airing during Kids Zone programs. We have gotten prior reports about ad placement in Kids Zone. The ad space is available for companies to purchase and we are working with them on making sure the ads are coming to us with their ad rating marked correctly so that these do not filter into Kids Zone. 

Admin1

zejax -- Our On Demand team has been working with the ad companies to have a proper filter applied to content not appropriate for Kids Zone. They are saying this is now resolved. Please let us know if you see any other ads that do not belong in Kids Zone so we can address this with the ad company. 

New Poster

put an option under filter so people can select the rating they want too see