Community Forum

On-Demand Team hasn’t processed latest PBS files

Problem Solver

On-Demand Team hasn’t processed latest PBS files

I spoke to PBS National this afternoon, and they say they have supplied the raw video files for this weeks’s shows to Comcast. At minimum, we’re not seeing on HD and SD TV menus:

1) Sun 01 July: Endeavour S5E2
2) Sun 01 July: Tunnel S3E1
3) Tue 03 July: Civilizations S1E9

I also dialed Comcast, and finally got transferred to a good tech rep. He confirmed what reps answering this forum have failed to clarify. Namely, that providers do not directly control what we see in On Demand menus. They provide files to Comcast, who must process them (including encoding) before they appear in On Demand menus.

Unofficially, the rep suspected that on holiday weeks like this, the On Demand team May well be short-handed. He thought it entirely plausible that the missing PBS shows awaited Comcast processing. I suspect the same for the latest Pose (FX) episode.

<Edited for violating forum guidelines>

Problem Solver

Re: On-Demand Team hasn’t processed latest PBS files

Comcast, get this taken care of without further delay - PBS shows have a short shelf-life!  

Tags (3)
Regular Contributor

@ForrestS wrote:
I spoke to PBS National this afternoon, and they say they have supplied the raw video files for this weeks’s shows to Comcast. At minimum, we’re not seeing on HD and SD TV menus:

1) Sun 01 July: Endeavour S5E2
2) Sun 01 July: Tunnel S3E1
3) Tue 03 July: Civilizations S1E9

I also dialed Comcast, and finally got transferred to a good tech rep. He confirmed what reps answering this forum have failed to clarify. Namely, that providers do not directly control what we see in On Demand menus. They provide files to Comcast, who must process them (including encoding) before they appear in On Demand menus.

Unofficially, the rep suspected that on holiday weeks like this, the On Demand team May well be short-handed. He thought it entirely plausible that the missing PBS shows awaited Comcast processing. I suspect the same for the latest Pose (FX) episode.

Postings like yours are the reason I come here.  Excellent information, especially that we're not likely to get from Comcast mods directly.  Well done!

Problem Solver

Well thank you, whether you be “Mr Fan of musical artist Shvd”, or “Mrs Fan of holographic disks of the 00 decade” 😎

As of now, it looks like the PBS shows are established, except for Endeavour. Episode 1 might still be available via Search (it is so named), but the latest ep 2 only appears under HD. Presume the fix is still in progress.

It would be nice if Comcast comments on what the problem really was. E.g., if the problem was in how PBS delivered the files, only made correct by this weekend, it would help to know. Otherwise we’ll continue to assume some sort of problem in the management of the On Demand team not meeting valid and reasonable expectations of us paying customers.
Problem Solver

My missing list of episodes are now, a full week after airing, finally available. No surprise to me that last night’s episodes of Endeavour (E3) and Tunnel (E2) are not yet posted.

This thread is not done, not resolved, until Comcast comments. We need more info so that, next time, we’ll know to whom to properly address complaints: the content providers, or the On-Demand team.

If the root cause problem here was an issue with PBS’s files, why didn’t Comcast comment here many days ago, letting folks know that?
Regular Contributor

@ForrestS wrote:
Well thank you, whether you be “Mr Fan of musical artist Shvd”, or “Mrs Fan of holographic disks of the 00 decade” 😎

As of now, it looks like the PBS shows are established, except for Endeavour. Episode 1 might still be available via Search (it is so named), but the latest ep 2 only appears under HD. Presume the fix is still in progress.

It would be nice if Comcast comments on what the problem really was. E.g., if the problem was in how PBS delivered the files, only made correct by this weekend, it would help to know. Otherwise we’ll continue to assume some sort of problem in the management of the On Demand team not meeting valid and reasonable expectations of us paying customers.

I am Mrs. Happy Valentine's Day!  ;-)

Problem Solver

Good thing I didn’t close this thread, as the problem persists, as we’ve seen from others in newer threads.

At minimum, we’re missing the following from both SD and HD television viewing menus; most if not all are missing from the Xfinity Stream app, too:

1) Sun 08 July: Tunnel S3E2
2) Sun 08 July: Endeavour S5E3
3) Mon 09 July: POV: Worker’s Cup
4) Tue 10 July: 10 Streets that Changed America

And there may be more. I spoke again with PBS National this morning, and they are unaware of problems on their end. The woman I spoke with even revealed she had contacted the PBS Legal Department to make them aware of the number of calls received on this matter, to determine if delays in Comcast offering materials for On Demand were contractual in nature.

At minimum, can’t Comcast reply and give a perspective? Is the problem actually on PBS’s end? We pay for this service, we at least deserve some information when delays in service go on this long.
Contributor

Thanks for pressing the issue on this. It's now late Wednesday afternoon here in Northern California, and we're still waiting for Episode 3 of Endeavor that aired on Sunday. I'd like to know what we can do to get their attention. Comcast, are you listening?
Problem Solver

I dunno...maybe it is time to contact higher level folks about all these problems. They might not even be aware. I found this list:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/comcast/
Contributor

As of today, Friday 7/13, Endeavour Episode 3 is available in both SD and HD. I haven't checked the other PBS shows missing current episodes. Hopefully they are there as well.
Regular Contributor

@ForrestS wrote:
Good thing I didn’t close this thread, as the problem persists, as we’ve seen from others in newer threads.

At minimum, we’re missing the following from both SD and HD television viewing menus; most if not all are missing from the Xfinity Stream app, too:

1) Sun 08 July: Tunnel S3E2
2) Sun 08 July: Endeavour S5E3
3) Mon 09 July: POV: Worker’s Cup
4) Tue 10 July: 10 Streets that Changed America

And there may be more. I spoke again with PBS National this morning, and they are unaware of problems on their end. The woman I spoke with even revealed she had contacted the PBS Legal Department to make them aware of the number of calls received on this matter, to determine if delays in Comcast offering materials for On Demand were contractual in nature.

At minimum, can’t Comcast reply and give a perspective? Is the problem actually on PBS’s end? We pay for this service, we at least deserve some information when delays in service go on this long.

We have the latest episodes of The Tunnel and Endeavour on both SD and HD as of this morning.  Our PBS OnDemand menus do not include POV or "10 Streets....", so can't help you there.

Regular Contributor

@SortaSour wrote:
As of today, Friday 7/13, Endeavour Episode 3 is available in both SD and HD. I haven't checked the other PBS shows missing current episodes. Hopefully they are there as well.

Endeavour and The Tunnel are both up to date on our menus.

Problem Solver

These recent PBS shows are still missing:

A - POV: Worker’s Cup (ep 5 of current season) - aired July 9th

B - Rockies: Kingdom of the Sky - aired July 11th

Yesterday (July 13th) I also saw missing-for-several-day shows finally appear from Discovery, Oxygen, and Syfy networks. Is it the new On Demand policy to withhold publishing some items for several days, including PBS?
Problem Solver

Those two shows finally showed up many days after airing.

Third week in a row that the two PBS showcase items airing Sundays (Endeavour, Tunnel) are still much-delayed. It’s Wednesday, no sign.

Called my local PBS station and like National the operator had no bloody clue on why all PBS shows are delayed on-demand. I’ve seen no similar complaints on the Verizon Fios online forum.

Comcast should comment.
Contributor

Agreed!  <Edited for violating forum guidelines>.  However, it is unusual for Comcast to be so consistent with the delayed availability.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines>

Problem Solver

Comcast,

Let us know if you are or are not working on this issue.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast Refuses to Respond to PBS Programming Inquiries

There has been an ongoing issue in adding PBS Programs to On Demand. I and others have requested feedback from Comcast as to why this is happening. Comcast hasn't responded. Why?
Problem Solver

Re: Comcast Refuses to Respond to PBS Programming Inquiries

This has become very strange. It would *seem* that Comcast management has enforced a gag order on employees regarding the relationship with PBS.

I suggest that everyone who cares about PBS shows appearing on demand (all shows since last Sunday missing, if not longer) add a leaf to this thread expressing disappointment in Comcast’s lack of service and lack of explanation.
Contributor

I have sent an email to ecare@comcast.com and to Tom_Karinshak@Comcast.com regarding this on-going problem.  In the email I referenced the threads in this Support Forum and quoted the response that I received from the PBS National office stating that the content for these programs was sent to Comcast prior to the air date.  If there is a more appropriate contact at Comcast who can actually resolve this issue, please post it here.

Problem Solver

Well, yes, progress is certainly being made now. Huzzah. Episodes of Endeavour and Tunnel that aired two Sunday *nights* ago have been deleted, not enjoying their full 2-week posting interval. (Cuz it’s still *day* time on this Sunday. Duh.) Last Sunday’s episodes not being posted free, there are right now zero free episodes available for these two shows. Brilliant. <Edited for violating forum guidelines>

Regular Contributor

@ForrestS wrote:
Well, yes, progress is certainly being made now. Huzzah. Episodes of Endeavour and Tunnel that aired two Sunday *nights* ago have been deleted, not enjoying their full 2-week posting interval. (Cuz it’s still *day* time on this Sunday. Duh.) Last Sunday’s episodes not being posted free, there are right now zero free episodes available for these two shows. Brilliant. <Edited for violating forum guidelines>

WHERE IS PBS ON DEMAND LOCATED? 

I CAN ONLY FIND MY LOCAL PBS CHANNEL IN LOCAL.

Thank you

Contributor

I sent an email to <Edited for violating forum guidelines> regarding this on-going problem.  In the email I referenced the threads in this Community Forum and quoted the response that I received from the PBS National office stating that the content for these programs was sent to Comcast prior to the air date.  If there is a more appropriate contact at Comcast who can actually resolve this issue, please post it here.

Official Employee

@Rosedale1 wrote:
There has been an ongoing issue in adding PBS Programs to On Demand. I and others have requested feedback from Comcast as to why this is happening. Comcast hasn't responded. Why?

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above.

I am now seeing Season 5, episode 4 of Endeavor as available On Demand, the episode name is Colours.

I am only seeing Season 1 of The Tunnel as available now On Demand. I do see additional seasons of The Tunnel available On Demand on the PBS website: https://www.pbs.org/show/tunnel/

Answering your question directly, basically most of the time it comes down to licensing agreements and contracts. Occasionally, there can be delivery issues from a vendor or programmer, but those are comparatively rare and from my experience, they are tracked pretty well.

The content providers (owners) are the ones that determine which movies, shows and specific episodes of a show are available, as well as pricing guidelines and how long the program or series can be made available On Demand on our platform.

We just follow what has been specified as per the current negotiated contract.

As per our current agreement with program providers (the owners of the content), previous episodes of some programs (non-current seasons) are currently offered On Demand on a per episode or a per season cost. The same applies to movies.

Comcast also offers many movies and programs On Demand at no additional charge.
This situation is not unique to Comcast and pricing for this program and other selections (to rent or to buy) are comparable across other platforms and competitors.

I am looking into more specifics about the programs that you mentioned above.

I can confirm that S5, Ep 6 of PBS series The Great British Baking Show is missing from On Demand.  I have alerted our On Demand team so that they can investigate further.

Thanks for your patience. 

Contributor

Thank you ComcastTeds for finally responding to this issue.  Unfortunately, I just checked On Demand for PBS Endeavour Episode 4 (504), and it is only available to RENT or BUY.  This program aired a week ago yesterday (on 7/15) and 'should' be available for FREE until it expires this coming weekend.  While you're investigating this, please load the latest program, Endeavour Episode 5 which aired last night, 7/22.

Contributor

Endeavour Season 5, Episode 5, is now available On Demand in both SD and HD for FREE (as it should be).  Unfortunately, Episode 4 is still only available to BUY, when it should be FREE for two weeks after airing which was 7/15.  Comcast, reassign Episode 4 to the FREE section.  

I have contacted the national offices of Comcast and PBS about this issue.  Both place blame on the other party.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines>

Frequent Visitor

Episode 3 of The Tunnel which aired on July 15th is also missing and was never available On Demand.
Official Employee

@SortaSour wrote:

Endeavour Season 5, Episode 5, is now available On Demand in both SD and HD for FREE (as it should be).  Unfortunately, Episode 4 is still only available to BUY, when it should be FREE for two weeks after airing which was 7/15.  Comcast, reassign Episode 4 to the FREE section.  

I have contacted the national offices of Comcast and PBS about this issue.  Both place blame on the other party.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines>

Endeavor 505 is now available (at no additional charge). Episode 504 is still being investigated by our On Demand team. Thanks for your patience.

Problem Solver

Nothing is clear in this PBS mess, we customers have zero idea on what Comcast reads in these forums. So I’ll repeat what someone else said:

Some PBS shows only stay free on-demand for 2 weeks. Maybe only 13 days based on recent activity. Endeavour S5E4 and Tunnel S3E3 May well be eligible for deletion by Saturday 28 July. Today is the 25th!! POV ep 6 “Lindy Lou Juror Number 2” might be also subject to quick deletion.

Comcast needs to treat this as an emergency action, <Edited for violating forum guidelines>. And there are probably several more PBS shows missing from last week’s miscues, the ones that aired last Wednesday.

Official Employee

@SortaSour wrote:

Thank you ComcastTeds for finally responding to this issue.  Unfortunately, I just checked On Demand for PBS Endeavour Episode 4 (504), and it is only available to RENT or BUY.  This program aired a week ago yesterday (on 7/15) and 'should' be available for FREE until it expires this coming weekend.  While you're investigating this, please load the latest program, Endeavour Episode 5 which aired last night, 7/22.

Apologies for the delay. Our On Demand team is aware of the issues and has been working with PBS on a solution. 

In regards to the missing episodes (Endeavor, Great British Baking Show), we identified an issue of PBS sending this content to us incorrectly, which was causing them to fail to get to our video platform. Both of these shows are being worked on by our On Demand team and we are working to get these available as soon as possible. Thanks for your continued patience. 

Official Employee

@ForrestS wrote:
Nothing is clear in this PBS mess, we customers have zero idea on what Comcast reads in these forums. So I’ll repeat what someone else said:

Some PBS shows only stay free on-demand for 2 weeks. Maybe only 13 days based on recent activity. Endeavour S5E4 and Tunnel S3E3 May well be eligible for deletion by Saturday 28 July. Today is the 25th!! POV ep 6 “Lindy Lou Juror Number 2” might be also subject to quick deletion.

Comcast needs to treat this as an emergency action, <Edited for violating forum guidelines>. And there are probably several more PBS shows missing from last week’s miscues, the ones that aired last Wednesday.

Apologies for the delay. Our On Demand team is aware of the issues and has been working with PBS on a solution.

In regards to the missing PBS episodes,  we identified an issue of PBS sending this content to us incorrectly, which was causing them to fail to get to our video platform. The shows mentioned above are being worked on by our On Demand team and we are working to get these available as soon as possible. Thanks for your continued patience.

Adding some additional information here regarding how long PBS On Demand programs are expected to be available: 

Masterpiece shows and Dramas (i.e, Endeavor, Tunnel) only have a two-week window per the contract we have with PBS, so, unfortunately, the 14-day window is working as designed. Anything that isn't a drama (i.e, Great British Baking Show) has a 28 day window. Also, we are still looking into the episode of POV that was reported, as we should have that one available.

Problem Solver

Thank you for this status.

That said, this news is terribly late in arriving to us. Complaints on timeliness of PBS offerings are several weeks long. This is the first real feedback.

Hopefully, PBS will allow some shows to be on-demand more than 2 weeks after their air date, given these circumstances.

Contributor

Endeavour Episode 4 (504) has two days left, today and tomorrow, of the 2 weeks free viewing after air date (7/15).  Comcast does have that episode, however, it is only available to BUY.  Please add it to the free viewing menus.  This was done with Episode 5 (505), which was also only available to BUY on Monday of this week.  So we know it is within Comcast's ability to correct.

Official Employee

@SortaSour wrote:

Endeavour Episode 4 (504) has two days left, today and tomorrow, of the 2 weeks free viewing after air date (7/15).  Comcast does have that episode, however, it is only available to BUY.  Please add it to the free viewing menus.  This was done with Episode 5 (505), which was also only available to BUY on Monday of this week.  So we know it is within Comcast's ability to correct.

Understood, our On Demand team is looking into that.

As an explanation for your assumption  and to add some background -  often, it may not be something that our team "fixes"; it may need to be corrected directly from and by the source provider (the content owner, in this case PBS) with updated metadata that addresses any error, correction or omission.

As you might imagine, there can be legal obligations and contractual commitments that talk to exactly what our team is permitted to do with a provider's video content - including what fields are permissible to be changed or modified. 

That being said, our team is aware and continues to work directly with PBS on this on the best path.

Thanks for your continued patience.   

Official Employee

Endeavor 504 is now available. Thanks for your patience. 

Problem Solver

Good news, thanks.

The Tunnel: Vengeance 303 is still missing and, like Endeavour 504, is expiring soon.

Problem Solver

I don’t understand why Comcast deleted a paragraph in my last post above. It spoke fairly to the root cause problem here...lack of sufficient communication between the On Demand Team and other Comcast service reps. Real awareness and action by Comcast started long after we customers pointed out problems. Comcast has delayed the fix and response so late, that we may never see an episode like Tunnel S3E3 made available.

What the heck is wrong with saying this?!
Problem Solver

I do not accept this thread being marked as “answered”. That means that a “solution” has been accepted. I do not accept. If the original problem was PBS’, then compounded by Comcast dallying despite enormous forum input on the matter, you should be able to work out an exception with PBS for Tunnel S3E3.

Short of that, we need a Lessons Learned thread for Comcast to improve processes for On Demand problems like this.
Regular Contributor

@ForrestS wrote:
I do not accept this thread being marked as “answered”. That means that a “solution” has been accepted. I do not accept. If the original problem was PBS’, then compounded by Comcast dallying despite enormous forum input on the matter, you should be able to work out an exception with PBS for Tunnel S3E3.

Short of that, we need a Lessons Learned thread for Comcast to improve processes for On Demand problems like this.

AGREE 100%  I also do not accept this thread being marked as “answered”

Problem Solver

ON DEMAND CUSTOMER SERVICE FAILURE.

The Tunnel: Vengeance S3 E3 has expired before the show was uploaded to On Demand - even though Community Members and ComcastTeds noted there is only a two-week window for this content.  Do better.

Problem Solver

The POV Ep 6 from July 16 is still missing. Two episodes from July 18 remain missing: Himalayas Kingdom of the Sky and Earth’s Natural Wonders S2E2. And as complained of elsewhere, Great British Baking Show Ep 6 from July 20th is still missing.

Bulkington urged Comcast to try harder. Are you trying at all? If so (meaning you’re still waiting on PBS to supply proper files) then why can’t you legitimately ask PBS for on-Demand extensions? If you’re not waiting on PBS, why are those shows still missing?

Either way, it doesn’t make full sense.

Yet, this thread is marked green. (And they say that Americans don’t ‘get’ irony. Counterpoint!)
Problem Solver

Thanks to Comcast for administratively putting this thread back into an open state.

As a customer, I would expect that Comcast’s agreement with PBS is that a drama series item can only appear on-Demand for two weeks AFTER BEING MADE AVAILABLE IN VIABLE FORM. Not 2 weeks after airing. (In a good world they’d be the same thing 98% of the time.)

So, my expectation is still for PBS to fix Tunnel S3E3, allowing Comcast to successfully process it, and get it posted on Demand. (Along with the other shows listed in the last post.)
Official Employee

All - apologies again for this issue. 

These missing titles from PBS are still being actively worked on as there are some technical issues happening that are still being worked through.

We continue to express the urgency of getting these programs restored and available - we will update once we have additional information. 

Thanks for your continued patience. 

Regular Visitor

Maybe they will process the live files as well.  I rarely view on demand.

Problem Solver

I did not understand the last user’s comment about “live files”, don’t know what that means. No matter.

Is there a specific PBS phone contact that Comcast can supply us as an effective means for putting some additional urgency into fixes here?

I noticed this afternoon that last night’s two new PBS shows (Outback, Wonders of Mexico) are not posted. More problems in PBS formatting, we can only presume, yes? (Other shows last night from other networks appear in On Demand, so non-PBS things are getting processed by Comcast.)
Official Employee

@ForrestS wrote:
I did not understand the last user’s comment about “live files”, don’t know what that means. No matter.

Is there a specific PBS phone contact that Comcast can supply us as an effective means for putting some additional urgency into fixes here?

I noticed this afternoon that last night’s two new PBS shows (Outback, Wonders of Mexico) are not posted. More problems in PBS formatting, we can only presume, yes? (Other shows last night from other networks appear in On Demand, so non-PBS things are getting processed by Comcast.)

Apologies.  Different networks and program providers use different methods (and some use third party providers) to deliver their On Demand content to us.

There is an issue with PBS On Demand content delivered to us from their provider. 

PBS is very aware of the issue. They (and their provider) need to make the necessary and required corrections to their On Demand files. 

Apologies, just wanted to offer some perspective and additional explanation. This is certainly our problem to solve with PBS and the right teams are working to resolve. 

The ask from Comcast is out there to PBS to consider extending the end date for the content that has not yet been available. It is up to PBS to grant that extension. 

Apologies again. 

Official Employee

@ForrestS wrote:

Most recent update: 

PBS worked out the issues and have redelivered all of their content that was initially reported.

It is now in our queue to process and the team has requested that the content get moved through quickly.

Once that is done, the programs will be available On Demand - the expectation is that the earlier identified programs will be available on Friday.

The team is now investigating the newly reported missing content.

Thanks for your patience. 

Problem Solver

I see that most missing episodes from that period 3 weeks ago have been posted On Demand.

But not Tunnel S3E3. Did PBS refuse Comcast’s request to allow it to also be posted? If so, did they give a clear reason as to why not?

Thanks for the recovery effort.
Problem Solver

OK, I am going to close this thread with some final comments.

It seems that PBS posting is back to normal. E.g., the latest Outback, Wonders of Mexico, and Frontline were posted soon after airing. That said, Ep 7 of Great British Baking is SD-only. That should get fixed. Others may pursue that on other threads if wished.

I was hoping that Comcast could pass on whether PBS’ 2-week limit on dramas was purely due to PBS discretion, or demanded by the European original distributors. (For Tunnel, that would be UK’s Sky and France’s CANAL+. Other dramas are typically from UK networks like BBC and ITV.)

Finally, some Lessons Learned, I hope, in the general communications department:

- 1 - Whenever On Demand team encounter a severe problem in many shows from a provider, they should communicate to other Service Reps for more timely answers in this forum. It’s common sense, really.

- 2 - If absence of any particular service rep (e.g. vacation) is a factor in hugely delayed responses to big problems like this, provisions and planning should be made to have adequate backups in place.

- 3 - More generally, Comcast managers or supervisors should strive for internal changes of all sorts that would facilitate improved communications between service reps and On Demand Team. The latter seems more isolated than is ideal for optimal customer service.

- 4 - Comcast should consider authoring new or improved “pinned” posts to reduce overall forum clutter of invalid requests. Make it clearer, e.g., that most omissions of very recent shows are valid, but requests for much older shows are typically not. Expand and clarify as needed.

- 5 - Consider a unique and different means for customers to report recent missing shows, as opposed to other On Demand problems or concerns.

THE END