Community Forum

On-Demand Sound Problems

New Poster

On-Demand Sound Problems

When viewing NCIS on-demand, the sound is intermittently going out.  It makes the program un-watchable.  It only occurs with on-demand programming.  If I exit the program and then go back in, the sound is OK for a few seconds and then begins going out again.  Very annoying.  Any ideas?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: On-Demand Sound Problems

is it every on demand program or just that one.?

Problem Solver

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
New Poster

I have the same problem with anything on On Demand.  But have noticed it more recently with movies on HBO and Starz.  Would love some help in fixing it.

New Poster

Same issue here - watching various movies and TV sereis, and right now happening on the AMC channel

Problem Solver

tkleahy and Cyber49--
Sorry for the delay. Can you check your connections to your cable box, to the wall outlet and any splitters and ensure they are tight and secure and none of the wires are loose. This can cause a disruption in your service as well. Please let me know if you are still experiencing this issue as we may need to get a technician out to your home to look at your box and maybe tweak it a little bit to resolve this issue.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
New Poster

I have been having this same problem for weeks and weeks now.  It comes and goes.  I have spoke with customer service reps a number of times and quite frankly I am sick of it.  Just about ready to get rid of Comcast all together.

Problem Solver

dprice84067---

Sorry for the inconvenience. I would suggest contacting customer care to get a technician out to your home to look into the issues you are having with your cable box. The technician can determine whether it's your box, a washer, a bad wire and so forth.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
New Poster

This problem has existed for years and everyone has it. It's just ridiculous to say we should check out wiring or call a technician.  This is a central Comcast problem and it's existed for three years or more.  Please stop making suggestions that are only distractions from what Comcast needs to address centrally.

New Poster

same here c'mon Comcast.this does seem systemic not local

New Poster

If this was just you, I would suggest that you remove a splitter or get a distribution amplifier. Is this a single-family home or an apartment? I know it's no excuse but since Comcast bought a lot of systems all over the country they have been upgrading each one. It takes time. Either way, escalate your complaint and ask when your neighborhood is scheduled for an upgrade? If the signal levels are low, and you are advised of this, you may be eligible for a rebate if the problem is not fixed. Stick with Comcast. Once they have fixed your neighborhood, you'll wonder how you lived without it. i know it's hard now. 

New Poster

OK, so now it's 14 months later and the sound in OnDemand (all stations and programs) is no better.

Still goes from above normal to barely detectable multiple times during each program.  Not a wiring or connection problem as the sound does not sharply go to nothing.  It just fades and then slowly comes back at differing rates.   I'm payiing WAY too much to Comcast for this poor service.  " Upgrading systems one at a time"??   I'll bet.   Time for the State to require that Comcast rebate the entire month for any time there is this or the miriad of other problems.   I'll bet the system problems would "Miraculously" get fixed in short order.  Time to shop for another supplier again.

New Poster

I searched the support forum today for just this problem.  I see that it has been happening for a long time and to a lot of people.  I know it is not a connection issue as it happened last night on my iPad as well.  I agree with the comment that we are paying way too much for the services to have sound issues.  It is extremely frustrating to have to stop and restart a show just to get the sound back on.  I would like to see a better response from Comcast on what they are doing to solve this issue.  Thanks.

New Poster

You guys should start complaining to the FCC.  

Sometimes these big companies have a way of listening when complaints start popping up there about a company like comcast not supplying services in good faith to paying customers.  

Tags (2)
New Poster

I am having issues with Comcast-On Demand the sound intermittently goes in and out when watching programs.  I unplugged and re-hooked everything back up and it worked for awhile than the sound started going out againI am unable to watch a program with no sound if you rewind and hit play it will work for awhile and go out againWhat is the fix for this?

New Poster

I have heard from quite a few people that the older CRT type TVs are experiencing this.

One friend got a new TV and used the HDMI interface...problem solved.

The first thing to determine is how your sound is reaching the TV.

1. Coax only

2. Composite (yellow) and stereo audio (red/white)

3. Component (Three cables) and stereo audio

4. Component and digital audio (coax)

5. Component and digital audio TOSLink (Fiber)

6. HDMI

Next:

Home theater system (yes or no)

It's important to configure new TVs with the correct audio input settings. Check your TV menu and make sure it is set for the correct audio input.

Don't be so quick to blame Comcast for this. Sometimes, video and audio issues are the result of corrupted files that are sent from the broadcaster to Comcast; Garbage in - Garbage out.

But do call and report it. Just don't expect an immediate fix.

Doug

Frequent Visitor

I'm seeing a similar problem, but especially on Food Network programming and regular channels. I don't see the same problem when I watch live tv, just when I watch on-demand stuff. It's also not just the sound, which goes in and out, but the picture breaks up a lot too. It's obvious that it's not my tv because sometimes it looks like comcast made two recordings of a show, and posted both, with one really bad and one just slightly bad. I'm guessing that comcast's recording dvrs are being overloaded, trying to record too many things at once.
New Poster

I have been having similar issues.  I traded out my old box with a new box, but the sound and video issue came back.  I have a sound system and unplugged it from the VOD Comcast box, but the sound issue still came back.  The customer service rep said they might need to send out a tech to take a look at my connections for $45 - imagine that a fee! I removed the plate to check the connection and they were nice and tight.  I also checked the connections coming into my house, and they were also nice and tight.  Is there anything I can do on my end, b/c I know Comcast is not going to do anything on there end?  Do they make a booster of some sort for the sound and video?

New Poster

I have had Comcast at my current location for almost 2 years now and just within the last couple of months have I started having the same problems everyone in this thread is describing. Sometimes I can watch a couple episodes of something with no problems and other times the first thing I try to watch immediately has the audio issues. I have repeatedly tried cycling and re-setting my cable box, but it does not help. I have yet to contact customer service and can see by this thread it would just be a waste of my time. 

I would like to add that I have noticed this happens the most when I watch the CW show Vampire Diaries and when I watch Starz's DaVinci's Demons. But it also happens randomly while watching other shows.

New Poster

If you call the customer service number they are going to send a "reboot" command to you box.  That might fix the issue - it didn't with me.  I had to trade in my box for a new (used) one which fixed the issue for now.   

New Poster

This just started for me a few months ago.. Pretty much no matter what on demand movie or other wise that I watch, the sound goes ina nd out every time. The really bad part is paying for one and not really being able to watch it. I would love if anyone could come up with how to fix this.. I have called over the problem and get the same run around as others have mentioned and NOTHING has helped.

New Poster

Comcast Customer Service isn't "blue ribbon," so I would call them back and as for a trade in.
I would tell them they same thing you stated above - that they have tried before but nothing worked. I
Would not let them try and charge you $45 or more for a service call or you paying $10 for shipping
A new box to you and you shipping back you old one. I dropped off my box at a local Comcast center.
Good luck.
New Poster

I had the same problem.  I had rented an On Demand movie Saturday night, but the picture would break up and the audio would stop or studder, so the movie became unwatchable.    I also had the same problem watching On Demand tv shows.  I called Comcast and they sent a tech out on Sunday.  He said the cables were old and should be replaced.  He replaced the cables on the house, but not all the way to the cable box at the back of my yard.  I was able to watch the end of the movie with no problem, and one OnDemand NCIS LA show.  However, when I started watching a second NCIS LA OnDemand show the same video and audio problems appeared and the show became unwatchable.  I have a SMART tv, switched to Amazon Prime and was able to watch the NCIS LA show with no problems, but it cost me $1.99.  It's really frustrating.

New Poster

When can we expect the sound problem with on demand to be resolved?  It is extremely frustrating and has been going on for weeks now.

Thanks,

CEPB

Regular Visitor

I have a similar issue with On Demand.  Out of the blue yesterday, there was a brief power outage in my condo.  Ever since, when I watch something On Demand, the volume goes in and out.  I chatted with 4 different people today and the problem still has not been resolved.  They reset my signal several times and I did several power cycles.  Still, the problem exists.

Regular Visitor

I have exactly the same problem.  I had a tech out here a week ago who replaced my modem, all cables and splitter.  Whenever I watch a program "On Demand" I'll get a "snap" and the sound goes out.  If I rewind a bit, and restart it will go away for awhile, but the sound will stop again in a few minutes.  It makes trying to watch anything impossible...it takes forever and especially if you have friends over to watch a program, it's embarrassing and annyoing.  I have had this problem off and on for the past few years, but it is worse now. It has to be a Comcast problem if so many people are experiencing the same thing.  What a waste of money.

Regular Visitor

**UPDATE: Yesterday I sent a blast e-mail to several corporate Comast employees (feel free to Google their e-mail addresses) as well as: We_can_help@cable.comcast.com & comcastcares_support@comcast.com.  I received a phone call this morning from a "corporate office employee" and she responded to all of the issues I've been having.  We setup an appointment with a technician this week, so I'll let you know what happens with the OnDemand volume isssue.

New Poster

I have the same problem with sound cutting out on random on demand shows.  What is funny is that this forum is on the Comcast website and no one from Comcast will tell us what the problem is. I guess comcast has no network engineers to investigate cronic problems.  Amazing that a billion dollar company can't fix a common problem and don't have the integrity to tell us if someone is working on the problem.

New Poster

I had this problem and tried swapping the HDMI cable for another one... Seems to have fixed the problem so far.
New Poster

I was getting no sound at all  for HBO On Demand shows. I did two things. I disconnected the RF coax cable and used only the HDMI chord. Then I unplugged and plugged back in the HDMI chord. This seems to have fixed the problem. I'm guessing that the coax cable was interfering with the HDMI chord somehow.

New Poster

I have been experiencing the same issue. Sometimes rebooting the box works but it is annoying the fact that you cannot fast forward and basically wait and watch the show again hoping that this time the sounds does not go away. I have to switch from HD to regular shows to make it works sometimes and not always do... it is very annoying and on top of this if you call the service desk all they say is... "let me send the signal and call us back !!"  we want to enjoy the movies or tv shows not to be on the phone with someone whose only response is to reboot the box, check the cables and call us again if you have the same issue..  in summary, service is really bad, no solution to the problem except moving to another provider not because they are better but just less worse.... any help would be greatly appreciated.....

New Poster

Same problem here.  Watching a TNT show is stops in the same spot every time.  Frustrating!  

New Poster

on demand goes from volume while the program is on,  to mute when it goes  to commercial.  I am sure the advertizers would be interested to learn that there is no sound when their commercials are on. thousands of wasted dollars paid to xfinity.

eglideman wrote:

When viewing NCIS on-demand, the sound is intermittently going out.  It makes the program un-watchable.  It only occurs with on-demand programming.  If I exit the program and then go back in, the sound is OK for a few seconds and then begins going out again.  Very annoying.  Any ideas?

New Poster

everyone call or email the ADVERTIZERS. No sound wasted commercial dollars!

New Poster

I just started having this problem recently, so the first thing I did was Google it and now see that it is widespread. One thing I have noticed that I don't remember any of you saying is that not all On Demand programs have the problem. OK, all minus one. If you want perfect sound for the entirety of the program, watch Stonehenge.

I have music files which I stored on a hard drive up to 15 years ago and I noticed that they degrade over time. I wonder if that plays a part. The problem with that idea is that the sound doesn't go out in the same place twice with Xfinity, whereas on my music files, it does. Our sound problem has to begin wherever they store these videos, right?

Regular Visitor

All my stuff including my apartment are new. Still cuts out all the time. Sound is really a problem. It does it constantly. No matter the channel or show,
Regular Visitor

When watching an on-demand show, some hot all, cause my receiver to turn off.  I thought it was due to it being a troublesome receiver, but I just replace the receiver with a new one and it is continually shutting off during replay of Forever.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Frequent Visitor

I am having a very similar problem only not with on demand shows, when I use on demand the advertisement while scrolling through shows has the sound going in and out, but all my musicchoice channels have the sound problem which is VERY annoying since my toddler LOVES listening to music, especially right now since the Christmas music is on ( I know early but like I said, my toddler LOVES it), though there are instances when I have tried to ondemand a show and it just wont play saying my connections may be loose (they arent, I check them)   Comcast REALLY needs to get it together.

Regular Contributor

Having this problem, so I googled it and found this thread. Hopefully it's just this show. Considering the answer from Comcast that it might be a loose wire or washer, I'm not going to waste time contacting them. 

Regular Visitor

It is happening fairly often and is only with on-demand shows, but have not rented a movie so cant tell if it happens,

Regular Visitor

Had this problem. Got it fixed with online chat. Then 3 weeks later it's back. It's not the cable or the channel. It's comcast. I have no idea why they make us think otherwise. If a guy in a remote location can fix it after getting my serial number off the box it's not a HDMI cable. This is so annoying.
Regular Visitor

Dear Comcast,
Your DVR sucks. Now nothing loads. Here's a crazy idea. Quit buying things you can't run. Quit making promises you can't keep. And tell Directtv to call me. I miss them so much.
Thanks
Official Employee

Hello JFDancer,

I know that it may not be easy to believe, but most of Comcast's network problems are in the home.  For example, my home was wired by my alarm company over 20 years ago.  They included many splitters, without amplifiers.  The result was horrible power level throughout the home, and odd behavior at set-top boxes, and at my cable modem.  The advice given on this thread: make sure connections are tight, etc. is sound.

If you find that the connections are tight, and you see nothing obviously wrong, then perhaps having a technician visit your home to check power levels is yourbest option.

Now that I have typed this, I see that your question is over a year old.  Sorry.  I'll post my answer, anyway...

Thanks,

Phil

New Poster

I have had this problem with the audio just kicking out especially on commericals. I called and they sent a tech, no fix and a charge of $70!!! I was told I would not be charged if it was their problem. It so clearly is. I have had this issue for months now and still no resoluton, when I complained I was given a $15 credit. $15 for months of problems and a $70 charge. I am going to dump Comcast at the end of this year.

New Poster

My sound cuts out during commercials while watching on demand.  Not every time seems to happen on more on programs that have had the format from tv altered, a 30 minute program usually doesn't lose sound while one that is 24 does.  

Only happens on one of the boxes in the house, tested the others and they don't suffer this problem.   I've made sure that wiring is tight and the problem persists.

Frequent Visitor

After reading all of the same complaints about the sound problems with On Demand, I'm starting to think that a Class Action Lawsuit is going to be the only way to get Comcast's attention on this matter. We have all tried everything that Comcast has told us to do to resolve this problem and it still exists. I was going to buy a new TV but that is not going to fix this issue. Anybody else agree with me on this?
Contributor

This has been a problem with OnDemand since the beginning of OnDemand and DVR service.  I have always subscribed to all (or a couple) of the Premium movie channels during the entire time I have had Comcast, usually all of them, but for a couple years I cut down to just HBO and Showtime for their series, when the combined package of Premium movie channels was getting so high priced, and I just didn't have time to watch movies anymore with all the series I was watching, or only a couple movies a year.  Then I got them back when I was enticed by a Comcast Customer Service rep into trying the X-1 Bundling of X-1 TV, Voice, and Internet programming.

I find that I have the problem less often with HBO, Starz, or Showtime, but then I use an Audio/Video Receiver Home Theater system to play my TV audio, and that makes a large difference.  When watching cable networks and On-Air networks, FOX, CW, NBC, Lifetime, Bravo, A&E, etc. (you get the idea) OnDemand their volume is so low, turning up normal volume on my old Audio Video receiver would not make it loud enough to hear AT ALL.  And that was over the digital S/Pdif Optical cable with Dolby 5.1 signal on the Comcast cable box.

Let us not pretend this is something fixed with tightening cables, or a technician coming out.  These statements only enrage me!!  This is an internal back end problem with comcast sound mixing and broadcasting, and it needs to be fixed in Comcast's back end sound mixing and broadcasting center.  STOP TREATING YOUR CUSTOMERS LIKE STUPID MUPPETS WHO CAN BE PLACATED WITH STUPID DO-NOTHING FIXES THAT INSULT US AND TRIVIALIZE OUR COMPLAINTS, AND AIM TO MAKE US LOOK INCAPABLE.  COMCAST IS BROKEN AND IS NOT TAKING THE GRAVITY OF THEIR INTERNAL BROKEN  STATE SERIOUSLY WHEN I AM PROVERBIALLY SPIT IN THE FACE BY SEEING MY FELLOW OVER-PAYING SUBSCRIBERS BEING SUBJECTED TO THE SAME INCOMPETENCE THAT I HAVE BEEN FOR THE PAST 12 YEARS!!!

I can't be nice about this anymore, it is wrong what Comcast is saying to customers to divert our attention from blatant incompetence and litigious non-delivery of services advertised.  I wouldn't be surprised if the audio problem stems from somebody's paranoid fear that if they mix audible true 5.1 channel sound 48,000kHz we are supposed to get OnDemand, that Pirate Bay will figure out how to pirate their content. Don't punish the subscribers because you don't have pirating-proof awareness of your product.  (I am only trying to rationalize why Comcast would knowingly send us degraded sound, when the broadcast sound is more than adequate!  And underline and bold text KNOWINGLY since I think the Rich Text here doesn't even work, unless there is some trick to enable it I can't find. I don't see other posts employing Rich Text editing either!!)

I bought a better quality A/V-R in November 2014 than the last one I had.  It is all HDMI, and I don't need the optical digital connection anymore, even though there are inputs for them. What I am finding is that when I listen to these low low low barely audible volumed OnDemand programs, I have to turn up the volume so high on my receiver, that the speakers buzz from all the signal strength being sent to them, the processor is doing some serious audio amplification in order for me to hear it, close to full volume which would normally rock me right out of my apartment lease, and I can just hear it at a low volume.

This isn't a new problem. Don't check your cable tightness, once they are tight you can only check them so many times, unless you have ghosts who like to unscrew that wrench-tightened cable sleeve.  Unless your grandmother installed it, It's probably tight enough. Don't phone Comcast and ask for a technician to come look at your equipment.

This problem will be solved when Comcast and the networks who allow them to re-broadcast their content, feel that they can safely transmit decent audio without risking theft or pirating of content.  That's only my theory, but it sure as chips ain't the reasons the really nice folks in the forum who answer questions unpaid and to their credit on their own time are telling you about loose cables and equipment. It's a backend problem in the mixing and broadcast dept of Comcast. They don't feel confident sending higher volume broadcasts, I'm surprised they are comfortable with the picture quality not being purposely degraded in the process. They must feel fairly confident that no one can steal it at the fairly decent quality we are seeing at 1080i. (To be honest I have seen 720p videos that appear sharper than 1080i, but I don't know if everyone would see it the same way I do.  If you are curious Wikipedia HDTV formats, 720p 1080i and 1080p, and how they work and appear to our eyes. And then they have this 4K and OLED I have only read about, never even seen a capable TV yet. The data transfer rates are phenomenal, in the multi-Gig/per second range I might have read somewhere. Don't quote that, I have a bad memory.)

Oddly, since I put my DVR through my AV/R to TV, it actually looks to me like it has cleaned up the quality of the picture more than a little bit, than just running the HDMI cable directly from the DVR to the TV.  I wonder how that can be, and not the other way around?

I am not normally so cynical and mad. Comcast is one of only a few topics that can get me this emo and critical.

Contributor

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

sheepsnot said:

I have music files which I stored on a hard drive up to 15 years ago and I noticed that they degrade over time. I wonder if that plays a part. The problem with that idea is that the sound doesn't go out in the same place twice with Xfinity, whereas on my music files, it does. Our sound problem has to begin wherever they store these videos, right?

Dude, You have a hard drive that's 15 years old, and hasn't failed yet?  How did you store it? Did you put it in an airtight container, and store it in a temperature controlled room, outside of a computing device?  Surely it wasn't plugged in and running all those year?  Just curious, The longest I had a hard drive live was 9 years, and I bought that computer in 2001. Any computers or hard drives I have purchased since 2009 have lasted fewer than 3 - 4 years, seems like the larger and faster, the shorter the life.

Frequent Visitor

Ok, So, Do you agree that since we are paying a Premium Price for cable services with Comcast, that we have a legit reason to create a Class Action against them? I'm sure that if we went off the Forum and went public with this, it would surely get the attention of Comcast. I'm glad to see that this is not just happening to me.
Frequent Visitor

Ok, so this is now officially (like it wasn't already) ridiculous, I have jumped through ALL the hoops that customer service has provided me with getting this fixed and nothing has changed except I have lost more channels! It started with On-Demand sound issues (not the shows itself but when on the menu selecting a show the advertisement in the top right corner had a lagging picture and the sound jumped) and some playing issues( I often get an error code, it doesnt matter which show I try to play, or it says it will be available shortly), then it started on the Music Channels, the sound jumps on every single one of them and the picture lags as well, but now I have lost my HD channels (it says unavailable) and alot of other channels such as my History channels, my Military Channels etc. (yes we LOVE these channels) This has been on going for MONTHS, Ive had a refresh signal sent, a stronger signal sent, un plugged everything and waited and plugged it all back in, checked ALL my wire connections, another signal sent AND exchanged my box and wires....still nothing has changed, I will be glad when this contract is over, and to top it off they want me to PAY a tech to come out here and fix THEIR equipment.....UM NO, not happening, its their equipment that is messing up, installed by their technicians....