Community Forum

On Demand/Netflix

New Poster

On Demand/Netflix

Recently noticed that my on demand is now showing movies and shows available on Netflix. It is extremely frustrating clicking on a movie/show only to find out I can only watch watch it with Netflix! I hate how integrated it is, this is why I have cable, so I don't have to pay extra to stream through providers like Netflix/Hulu etc. Is there a way to filter out Netflix only movies/shows?
Expert

Re: On Demand/Netflix

The X1 cable-box that allows getting streaming video is only needed by people who do not own a smart tv, or a separate box like Amazon, or many others, that are only designed for that purpose. They all are more reliable than Comcast.

Comcast gives you access to these apps but you still have to pay the monthly fee to use apps like Netflix.

New Poster

Thanks for stating the obvious .. what is the solution?

Now the On Demand feature became completely useless for non-Netflix customers. 

For customers without Netflix .. On Demand no longer displays the 'free' choices becuase it still shows Netflix selections.  I verbally request "Watch free kids movies" and I get tons of Netflix.   Why?  They are not free. Previously when I made this request, it would only show the movies that were truely free to me.

With extortion rates for cable .. they now force-it-down-your-throat advertise the cheaper alternative, dont get it.

If someone can find the solution to: hiding Netflix from On Demand selections or instructions on how to permanately delete the Netflix App please reply.

New Poster

Bumping

Frequent Visitor

I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with customer service trying to remedy this problem with no resolve. It is completely frustrating with children, especially since the platform is so visual. There should absolutely be a way to filter out Netflix—premium channels that I don’t subscribe to don’t come up as “free” why should another paid for service that I don’t subscribe to come up? I’m waiting for a call back from “Tier 2 or 3” customer service, but I don’t have much hope that this will resolve anything. It seems like there may be some unfair business practices in place.
Frequent Visitor

I just spent another 35 minutes on the phone with xfinity. Finally a “Tier 3” representative told me there is no way to filter out Netflix, that is was actually part of the agreement with Netflix that it can’t be filtered out. I’m extremely annoyed by this and may end up canceling with Xfinity over it.
New Poster

I came to the same conclusion with another representative. I specifically got cable to avoid having to add on such services but it seems inevitable now. Too bad I recently got cable and now I am stuck with them for two years. Will cancel once contract is up. I don't even use on demand now because how much Netflix content is on, it's frustrating , extremely dissatisfied with their service.
New Poster

Seems like collusion between netflix and comcast to make it almost impossible to find something without netflix.  I wonder if this is even legal.  Maybe a class action lawsuit should be considered.

New Poster

No luck with Comcast either. Here was their message to us. "The way I filter my movies I say "Show me free movies" in my X1 remote. Your requesting to filter movies not free to you. That was the reason I sent you the survey. Your requesting a custom search, which the X1 isn't setup that particular way at this time. -Will"

Contributor

Pretty sure this is false advertising.  It's no different than saying having a sign that advertises free bananas, then when you bring them to the register the cashier asks for $5.

Frequent Visitor

Has anyone been told there will be a solution or offered any compensation for this problem? I have been told they “are working on it”, that “there will be a solution”, but that they don’t know when this will happen. Has anyone reported the issue to a regulatory agency? Thanks.
New Poster

Your complaint has been submitted

Thank you for submitting your complaint to us.

The BBB that will process your complaint is:

• BBB serving Metro Washington DC & Eastern Pennsylvania
  • 1411 K St. NW, 10th Floor
  • Washington, DC 20005-3404
  • Phone: (202)393-8000
  • Fax: (202)393-1198
  • Email Address: info@mybbb.org
New Poster

I concur alanimal.  Bait and switch all day long.

Here is my email.  hit me up and we'll start the process.  <Edited. Personal Information>

New Poster

That's funny.  While talking to a Customer Service Agent,  he stated that if you get the Free 30 day trial subscription, you'll still be getting the movie for FREE.  What's the problem?  What a joke.  Are these guys being scripted?

New Poster

Your complaint has been submitted

Thank you for submitting your complaint to us.

The BBB that will process your complaint is:

• BBB serving Metro Washington DC & Eastern Pennsylvania
  • 1411 K St. NW, 10th Floor
  • Washington, DC 20005-3404
  • Phone: (202)393-8000
  • Fax: (202)393-1198
  • Email Address: info@mybbb.org

You will hear from this BBB soon regarding your complaint.

New Poster

I noticed the other week while trying to watch Cold Justice On-Demand, that it was taking me straight to Netflix to watch it. So it's now setup if Netflix has picked up a show or movie you can no longer watch it On-Demand with Xfinity. Tell me how this is fair??? We Comcast Xfinity customers are paying for the On-Demand service to watch On-Demand programs. Why should we have to sign up for Netflix to watch certain shows and movies when we pay for Xfinity???
New Poster

Problem with your statement is, after the 30 day free trial, the service is no longer free. At that point you return to the same problem that everyone is complaining about, no way to filter out Netflix. As it stands now, I have to sift through almost 7000 "Free To Me" movies in order to find the 2000 that are actually "free to me". Without a filter for Netflix, the "Free Movies" catagory and the "Free To Me" filter in On Demand is totaly worthless. Netflix should be treated as a Premium Subscription Service just like HBO, Starz, Showtime and Cinamax. If you have to pay for a subsciption in order to get it for "free", it is not free.

At this point in time, I would be interested in signing up for a Class Action Suit.

I checked out the "Best Answer" for this thread and it advised canceling the Xfinity service. Maybe this is the best answer since no one from Comcast feels the need to respond to this thread.

"

Official Employee

Hello all,

I fully understand your frustration in regards to Netflix free content filters. We received a feedback and we are currently investigating how can we resolve this issue. My apologies for the inconvenience. 

At the same time,  please refer to our Forums Policy and Guidelines. Soliciting others to participate in any type of specific action is a violation of our forum policy as well as "bumping" posts and posting private information publicly. 

Please feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions. 

Valued Contributor

I want a Netflix filter, too.  I'm very upset that I can't find real free movies On Demand anymore.  Everytime I click on anything in the free category, it tells me it's on Netflix.  I do not have a Netflix account, I do not want a Netflix account, and I am not paying extra to watch "free" movies.  That's insane.  We need a search filter so we can actually pick real free movies.  This isn't right at all.

Official Employee

I want a Netflix filter, too.  I'm very upset that I can't find real free movies On Demand anymore.  Everytime I click on anything in the free category, it tells me it's on Netflix.  I do not have a Netflix account, I do not want a Netflix account, and I am not paying extra to watch "free" movies.  That's insane.  We need a search filter so we can actually pick real free movies.  This isn't right at all.

Carrigon, thanks for your feedback. We are working on a fix. 

KenF