Community Forum

On Demand Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio

Regular Contributor

On Demand Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio

I'm bringing this up again because I've never seen a definative answer from Comcast on why any On Demand programs (HBO series for example) only come thru as 2 Channel stereo encoded as 5.1 channel, last time I looked. Also, my X1 box died Sunday morning and I had to wait until today (Tuesday) for a service tech to come and check things out. He replaced the X1 box and I found that the recent DVR recordings I had made were still listed (on the Cloud?) but when I played them back the audio was only 2 Channel. Properly presenting them in 5.1 channel sound can't be an insurmountable problem, so I suspect there's a reason they don't WANT to do it.

Grumble... grumble, with the price we pay it should be a no-brainer.

Regular Contributor

Re: On Demand Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio

Just to clarify, I am connected to my audio receiver with the optical port. DD 5.1 is selected in setup. The HDMI goes to my Panasonic TV, which probably doesn't support DD 5.1.

I was reading some posts from 2014 about the same problem... nothing seems to have been done about it. Anyone else have a solution? The general opinion is that the audio is not properly implemented for all cases. I guess the general population doesn't know or care about 5.1 channel audio, they're happy listening to their tinny TV speakers and those who seek technical excellance are in the minority.

New Poster

I've been coming back to this forum year after year since 2013, hoping something would change by now and NOPE. Dropped 20 grand to build out my media room with a high end setup just to run the surround processor in fake surround mode when streaming. Thanks for nothing, Comcast!! Yup, changing the name to Xfinity isn't going to somehow wipe the slate clean.

Comcast / Xfinity customer satisfaction is on par with a used car dealership, nothing more.

Expert

If your AV box does not support 5.1 Surround sound, use the optical cable between television and the AV box. The Optical cable does support 5.1 SS.

As for Comcast; only one HBO channel is left as High Definition (720p). The other HBO channels are now only 480p. up-scaled to fit widescreen. A 480p channel only carries Stereo (2 channel).  And yes; you can thank (???) Comcast for saving bandwith for other puposes, at our expense.